|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Germanicus ask Claudius to do for him?
(a) Ask Augustus for permission to visit Postumus
(b) Research information about the Balkan tribes
(c) Write to him about all the political gossip
(d) Avoid antagonizing Livia, Antonia, and Livilla
2. Why does Augustus move the sword-fighters out of the city?
(a) They are expected to defend the outer boroughs.
(b) They are needed to help transport corn shipments.
(c) He is afraid they might lead rebellions.
(d) So that smaller cities can enjoy their shows.
3. Sejanus persuaded Tiberius to. . .
(a) raise the taxes to pay bonuses to the soldiers.
(b) appoint him to the senate after Haterius left.
(c) create a special political office for Sejanus.
(d) build a permanent camp for the Roman Guards.
4. What do the eagles drop into Claudius's gown?
(a) A lamb
(b) An egg
(c) A wolf cub
(d) A scroll
5. What is Claudius actually reading?
(a) A letter from his brother
(b) One of Livy's books
(c) Livia's book
(d) One of Pollio's books
Short Answer Questions
1. To avoid conflict with Julia, Tiberius decides to. . .
2. What did Augustus tell Claudius just a month before he died?
3. Who kills the German soldier who offered to fight "any Roman?"
4. Who is assumed to become Augustus's successor when he dies?
5. What nickname do people use for Claudius?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)