|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Parritt's mother arrested?
2. What does Hickey say Parritt believes is finished?
3. What does Parritt do when Hickey does not recognize him?
4. To what does Willie confess?
5. What does Larry think should happen to the person who turned Parritt's mother in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Chuck realized about his pipe dreams?
2. What does Hickey do after he encourages the others to keep drinking?
3. What is Hickey's response to Harry comment after the toast? How does this change Harry?
4. Who is Hickey?
5. What is the relationship between Parritt and Larry?
6. How does the reader learn about those who had been involved in the Anarchist Movement?
7. What does Harry do after storming out of the bar?
8. How does Rocky feel about being called a pimp?
9. How does Hickey feel before coming to the bar for his annual visit?
10. What do Larry and Hickey argue about, regarding Larry's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play ends with the down-and-outers singing their favorite songs.
Part 1) What is the significance of this ending?
Part 2) Predict the future of the down-and-outers.
Part 3) How might Larry's future be different than the others' futures? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The down-and-outers' attempts to make their pipe dreams become reality fail.
Part 1) Why do they fail?
Part 2) Upon what or who do they blame their failure?
Part 3) How does this attempt and failure affect them?
Essay Topic 3
Hickey's wife dies.
Part 1) How does she die?
Part 2) Why does she die?
Part 3) How does Hickey cope with her death?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)