|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmy absolutely believe will happen to him?
2. On what did Jimmy report?
3. On what do Lewis, Wetjoen, and Jimmy live?
4. What does Parritt ask Larry to tell him?
5. Why does Joe announce the bar is closed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name two things discussed in Larry and Rocky's conversation.
2. What is the story about?
3. What does Harry do after storming out of the bar?
4. What does Hickey begin to list?
5. What happens when Hickey calls the girls whores?
6. How is the argument diffused?
7. What does Hickey do after he encourages the others to keep drinking?
8. How does Hickey believe he can repair the damage done to his relationship with the down-and-outers?
9. How does the play begin?
10. How does Evelyn feel about Hickey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry is afraid to go outside.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What happens when he goes outside?
Part 3) Will he ever leave again? Why or why not? Use the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Larry is considered by many to be the protagonist of the play.
Part 1) How is he the protagonist?
Part 2) What is his purpose in the play?
Part 3) How does this character change throughout the play?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing frequently takes place.
Part 1) Name two instances of foreshadowing.
Part 2) What do they foreshadow?
Part 3) Why does the author use this specific literary device?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)