|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Parritt want from Larry?
2. Why does Larry leave the Movement?
3. About what does Joe dream?
4. What has Hickey been hinting to Cora and Chuck?
5. What story has Hickey not told?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Chuck realized about his pipe dreams?
2. Why does Willie refuse Rocky's drink offer?
3. Name two things discussed in Larry and Rocky's conversation.
4. What is the story about?
5. What is Hickey's response to Harry comment after the toast? How does this change Harry?
6. How does Hickey believe he can repair the damage done to his relationship with the down-and-outers?
7. What jokes does Mosher tell?
8. What does Hickey encourage the down-and-outers to do? What is the result of his encouragement?
9. What does Hickey say in his long speech?
10. How has Larry spent his day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry is afraid to go outside.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What happens when he goes outside?
Part 3) Will he ever leave again? Why or why not? Use the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Larry is the only character to truly convert to Hickey's belief system.
Part 1) What is Hickey's belief system?
Part 2) How has Larry been converted?
Part 3) How does this conversion affect Larry?
Essay Topic 3
Hugo is inebriated the entire play.
Part 1) What is his purpose in the play?
Part 2) How do the other characters interact with him?
Part 3) Describe him at the end of the play, as compared to the beginning.
This section contains 1,410 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)