|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Chuck give for the change in Hickey?
2. How is the night for the regulars at Harry Hope's saloon and bar?
3. What does Cora say about Hickey?
4. Why does Rocky say Pearl has no right to be angry with Cora?
5. When does he realize he does not need to drink anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mosher and McGloin almost end up in a fight?
2. What is done to prepare for the birthday party?
3. How does Hickey believe he can repair the damage done to his relationship with the down-and-outers?
4. How does Evelyn feel about Hickey?
5. How do several of the regulars end up in a very heated argument?
6. What is Larry's comment when Rocky tells him the locals all promise to pay their tabs tomorrow?
7. What is the story about?
8. Why does Hickey stop drinking?
9. What happens to Parritt after he leaves the bar?
10. Who are Lewis, Wejoen, and Jimmy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play ends with the down-and-outers singing their favorite songs.
Part 1) What is the significance of this ending?
Part 2) Predict the future of the down-and-outers.
Part 3) How might Larry's future be different than the others' futures? Why?
Essay Topic 2
This is a play to be performed.
Part 1) How might watching a performance compare to reading the play?
Part 2) Could aspects of the play be interpreted differently? Why or why not?
Part 3) How would a performance enhance the story for a viewer? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Parritt's mother is imprisoned.
Part 1) Why is she imprisoned?
Part 2) What role does her son have in her imprisonment?
Part 3) How does his role in her imprisonment affect him?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)