|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry say about Hickey?
2. Why does Rocky say Pearl has no right to be angry with Cora?
3. With whom is Parritt having a conversation?
4. When does he realize he does not need to drink anymore?
5. On what do Lewis, Wetjoen, and Jimmy live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hickey say in his long speech?
2. How is the argument diffused?
3. How does Harry react when Hickey refuses to go on the walk with him?
4. How do the regulars feel about Hickey?
5. What does Hickey do after he encourages the others to keep drinking?
6. What does Harry say he knew all along?
7. How does Parritt feel about the Movement?
8. What happens when Lewis and Wetjoen are awakened up by Willie's singing?
9. Why does Hickey stop drinking?
10. To what does Larry's annoyance at Parritt lead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joe tells everyone the bar is closed for a party.
Part 1) Why are they having a party?
Part 2) What takes place during the party?
Part 3) How does this party affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The down-and-outers' attempts to make their pipe dreams become reality fail.
Part 1) Why do they fail?
Part 2) Upon what or who do they blame their failure?
Part 3) How does this attempt and failure affect them?
Essay Topic 3
Parritt's mother is imprisoned.
Part 1) Why is she imprisoned?
Part 2) What role does her son have in her imprisonment?
Part 3) How does his role in her imprisonment affect him?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)