|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hickey is a friend of whom?
2. What does Pearl angrily suggest she and Margie do?
3. What does he say they all will be when they see the truth behind what he is saying?
4. For what does Willie wake up enough to beg?
5. Why does Willie stop singing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hickey stop drinking?
2. What does Hickey begin to list?
3. How does Rocky feel about being called a pimp?
4. Why is Hickey at the bar?
5. What do Larry and Hickey argue about, regarding Larry's life?
6. What happens when Lewis and Wetjoen are awakened up by Willie's singing?
7. What does Hickey encourage the down-and-outers to do? What is the result of his encouragement?
8. Why is Parritt worried?
9. How does Harry respond to Hickey's second toast?
10. After Larry toasts Hickey and hopes he finds some kind of peace, how does Parritt react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing frequently takes place.
Part 1) Name two instances of foreshadowing.
Part 2) What do they foreshadow?
Part 3) Why does the author use this specific literary device?
Essay Topic 2
Larry and Parritt know one another prior to meeting in the bar.
Part 1) How do they know one another.
Part 2) How does Parritt find Larry? Why is he looking for Larry?
Part 3) What is their relationship like throughout the play?
Essay Topic 3
Hugo is inebriated the entire play.
Part 1) What is his purpose in the play?
Part 2) How do the other characters interact with him?
Part 3) Describe him at the end of the play, as compared to the beginning.
This section contains 1,449 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)