|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Willie confess?
2. What does Joe challenge all the others to do?
3. What has Hickey inspired Mosher to do?
4. What do Mosher and McGloin say about Bessie's family?
5. When does he realize he does not need to drink anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Willie refuse Rocky's drink offer?
2. How does the play begin?
3. What do some of the characters think about Hickey?
4. What has Chuck realized about his pipe dreams?
5. What has happened to Wetjoen and Lewis?
6. How is the argument diffused?
7. What does Joe recall about the days when he ran a successful gambling house?
8. How has Larry spent his day?
9. Why is Parritt worried?
10. How does Harry respond to Hickey's second toast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play ends with the down-and-outers singing their favorite songs.
Part 1) What is the significance of this ending?
Part 2) Predict the future of the down-and-outers.
Part 3) How might Larry's future be different than the others' futures? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The play is called THE ICEMAN COMETH.
Part 1) Which characters is referred to as the iceman? Why?
Part 2) What does the iceman symbolize?
Part 3) When and how does the "iceman cometh" in the play?
Essay Topic 3
The down-and-outers' attempts to make their pipe dreams become reality fail.
Part 1) Why do they fail?
Part 2) Upon what or who do they blame their failure?
Part 3) How does this attempt and failure affect them?
This section contains 1,387 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)