|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Rocky and Chuck leave?
2. What does Larry accuse Hickey of being?
3. What comments does Hickey say he heard?
4. What had Willie been?
5. What days does Joe recall?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hickey feel before coming to the bar for his annual visit?
2. What happens when Rocky and Chuck argue?
3. Why is Hickey at the bar?
4. What has Chuck realized about his pipe dreams?
5. What is done to prepare for the birthday party?
6. What do some of the characters think about Hickey?
7. What happens to Parritt after he leaves the bar?
8. How does Hickey act after he mentions Jimmy's wife cheating on him? What does his behavior leave Larry to wonder?
9. After Larry toasts Hickey and hopes he finds some kind of peace, how does Parritt react?
10. What are several of the characters' dreams for the future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing frequently takes place.
Part 1) Name two instances of foreshadowing.
Part 2) What do they foreshadow?
Part 3) Why does the author use this specific literary device?
Essay Topic 2
Parritt's guilt increases as the play progresses.
Part 1) Why does he feel guilty?
Part 2) How does he initially try to cope with this guilt? Is he successful? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does he end both his guilt and his mother's, according to him?
Essay Topic 3
The down-and-outers' attempts to make their pipe dreams become reality fail.
Part 1) Why do they fail?
Part 2) Upon what or who do they blame their failure?
Part 3) How does this attempt and failure affect them?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)