|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Willie determined to do?
2. What does Larry say jokingly to the comatose Hugo?
3. About what do Wetjoen and Lewis believe they will do together?
4. About what does Rocky complain?
5. What does Rocky say he is not?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do some of the characters think about Hickey?
2. What is the relationship between Parritt and Larry?
3. About what does Mosher reminisce?
4. How do the regulars feel about their lives and the idea of suicide?
5. What does Hickey say in his long speech?
6. What has Chuck realized about his pipe dreams?
7. How do Mosher and McGloin almost end up in a fight?
8. Why was Bessie angry at McGloin?
9. What does Hickey encourage the down-and-outers to do? What is the result of his encouragement?
10. Why does Hickey kill Evelyn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry is afraid to go outside.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What happens when he goes outside?
Part 3) Will he ever leave again? Why or why not? Use the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Hickey's wife dies.
Part 1) How does she die?
Part 2) Why does she die?
Part 3) How does Hickey cope with her death?
Essay Topic 3
Joe tells everyone the bar is closed for a party.
Part 1) Why are they having a party?
Part 2) What takes place during the party?
Part 3) How does this party affect the characters?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)