|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rocky do as Hickey greets the regulars?
2. What does Hugo jokingly call Rocky's prostitutes?
3. What kind of student is Willie?
4. How does everyone react when Hickey says he has stopped drinking?
5. How does Hickey feel now that he does not have pipe dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Bessie angry at McGloin?
2. How does Parritt feel about his mother?
3. After Larry toasts Hickey and hopes he finds some kind of peace, how does Parritt react?
4. Why is Rocky so upset?
5. How do the regulars feel about Hickey?
6. Why is Hickey at the bar?
7. Why does Willie refuse Rocky's drink offer?
8. What does Hickey say in his long speech?
9. What happens when Rocky and Chuck argue?
10. What does Joe recall about the days when he ran a successful gambling house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the characters have pipe dreams.
Part 1) What is a pipe dream?
Part 2) Name two characters and their pipe dreams.
Part 3) How do they come to realize they have pipe dreams?
Essay Topic 2
The play is called THE ICEMAN COMETH.
Part 1) Which characters is referred to as the iceman? Why?
Part 2) What does the iceman symbolize?
Part 3) When and how does the "iceman cometh" in the play?
Essay Topic 3
This is a play to be performed.
Part 1) How might watching a performance compare to reading the play?
Part 2) Could aspects of the play be interpreted differently? Why or why not?
Part 3) How would a performance enhance the story for a viewer? Why?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)