|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What days does Joe recall?
2. Where do Cora, Margie, and Pearl place Hickey's parcels?
3. Who wakes Hugo up from his drunken stupor?
4. What happens to the deluded peace of a group of regulars at a low-end bar?
5. What does Rocky say threateningly to Hickey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hickey believe he can repair the damage done to his relationship with the down-and-outers?
2. Why is Hickey at the bar?
3. What happens when Hickey calls the girls whores?
4. What happens when Lewis and Wetjoen are awakened up by Willie's singing?
5. How does the play begin?
6. What does Joe recall about the days when he ran a successful gambling house?
7. What does Harry say he knew all along?
8. What does Hickey say in his long speech?
9. How does Harry react when Hickey refuses to go on the walk with him?
10. How does Rocky feel about being called a pimp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the characters have pipe dreams.
Part 1) What is a pipe dream?
Part 2) Name two characters and their pipe dreams.
Part 3) How do they come to realize they have pipe dreams?
Essay Topic 2
Parritt's guilt increases as the play progresses.
Part 1) Why does he feel guilty?
Part 2) How does he initially try to cope with this guilt? Is he successful? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does he end both his guilt and his mother's, according to him?
Essay Topic 3
Larry is considered by many to be the protagonist of the play.
Part 1) How is he the protagonist?
Part 2) What is his purpose in the play?
Part 3) How does this character change throughout the play?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)