|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Lewis and Wetjoen reliving their rivalry?
2. What does Rocky believe he does not have?
3. What has Hickey inspired Mosher to do?
4. Why is Parritt's mother arrested?
5. What triggered a fight with his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Hickey calls the girls whores?
2. What does Hickey say in his long speech?
3. Why is Rocky so upset?
4. What does Joe recall about the days when he ran a successful gambling house?
5. Why is Parritt worried?
6. About what does Mosher reminisce?
7. Name two things discussed in Larry and Rocky's conversation.
8. How does Parritt feel about his mother?
9. What happens when Joe enters the bar?
10. What has happened to Wetjoen and Lewis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Parritt's guilt increases as the play progresses.
Part 1) Why does he feel guilty?
Part 2) How does he initially try to cope with this guilt? Is he successful? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does he end both his guilt and his mother's, according to him?
Essay Topic 2
The play ends with the down-and-outers singing their favorite songs.
Part 1) What is the significance of this ending?
Part 2) Predict the future of the down-and-outers.
Part 3) How might Larry's future be different than the others' futures? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The down-and-outers' attempts to make their pipe dreams become reality fail.
Part 1) Why do they fail?
Part 2) Upon what or who do they blame their failure?
Part 3) How does this attempt and failure affect them?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)