|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hickey refuse to do for Harry?
(a) Go for a walk with him.
(b) Buy him a drink.
(c) Give him another gift.
(d) Remind him of Bessie.
2. What does Larry believe Hickey brings with him?
3. What does Hickey say when he comes in?
(a) He does not need to prove anything.
(b) He is glad to be there.
(c) He worries about his friends.
(d) He is sorry his plan backfired.
4. What happens when the candles are lit, champagne is poured, and Cora starts to play?
(a) Harry and Jimmy appear.
(b) The lights go out.
(c) Everyone sings.
(d) Harry does not appear.
5. What does Rocky wonder about Evelyn?
(a) If she ever loved Hickey.
(b) If she committed suicide.
(c) If Hickey killed her.
(d) If she is really dead.
6. With what kind of woman is Parritt through?
(a) Poor women.
(b) Shallow women.
(c) Ugly women.
7. Where are most of the regular down-and-outers sitting?
(a) Outside the bar.
(b) In different seats.
(c) At the tables.
(d) In their usual positions.
8. What does Larry realize about himself?
(a) He needs to get a real life.
(b) He misses Parritt.
(c) He is the only real convert.
(d) He is loney.
9. Who follows Harry into the bar?
(a) Cora and Chuck.
(b) Pearl and Margie.
(c) Jimmy and Hickey.
(d) Joe and Rocky.
10. Why is Rocky not able to get up to leave?
(a) Harry will not let him.
(b) He is stuck in his chair.
(c) He is too drunk.
(d) He hurt his leg.
11. For what are the regulars waiting?
(a) To feel the effect the booze is going to have on them.
(b) Their dreams to become reality.
(c) Hickey to return.
(d) Parritt to leave.
12. What does Harry say he will show Hickey?
(a) A gift from his wife.
(b) He is not the man Hickey thinks he is.
(c) His new watch.
(d) How to drink.
13. How is Willie when he returns?
(a) Timid and shy.
(b) Excited and anxious.
(c) Nervous and upset.
(d) Sad and lonely.
14. Why does Harry angrily tell them all to quit?
(a) He does not want to celebrate his birthday.
(b) He is upset about his wife.
(c) So they do not attract the police.
(d) They are taunting him.
15. What does Harry say they all want to do?
(a) Just pass out and have a little peace.
(b) Keep their pipe dreams.
(c) Go home.
(d) Keep drinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Harry when he rushes into the bar?
2. How do the others respond when Hickey proposes a second toast to living without pipe dreams?
3. What does Larry do as the other down-and-outers drunkenly sing their favorite songs?
4. What does Hickey admit about Evelyn?
5. Where do Rocky and Joe work?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)