|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rocky greet Margie and Pearl?
2. Why does Harry tell Cora to stop playing?
(a) She does not even know the tune.
(b) He does not like the song she is playing.
(c) The song is upsetting him.
(d) She is playing too loudly.
3. What does Hickey refuse to do for Harry?
(a) Give him another gift.
(b) Buy him a drink.
(c) Go for a walk with him.
(d) Remind him of Bessie.
4. With what kind of woman is Parritt through?
(a) Ugly women.
(b) Poor women.
(d) Shallow women.
5. What does Hickey believe Evelyn deserved?
(a) To rot in jail.
(b) A better husband.
(c) A better life.
(d) To be killed in her sleep.
6. What does Hickey begin to believe about Evelyn?
(a) She loves and forgives him in order to humiliate him.
(b) She is stealing from him.
(c) She is planning on leaving him.
(d) She is cheating on him with the iceman.
7. What peace does Larry say Hickey brought?
(a) Peace of honesty.
(b) Peace of faith.
(c) Peace of love.
(d) Peace of death.
8. What does Harry say about this gathering?
(a) It is pathetic.
(b) It is as it should be.
(c) It is the safest place to be.
(d) It is his real birthday party.
9. Why does Larry drink a private toast to Hickey?
(a) Hoping he finds some kind of peace.
(b) Hickey had greatly improved all of their lives.
(c) He had grown close to Hickey.
(d) Hickey had some wonderful ideas.
10. What does Hickey know is hard to face down?
(d) Pipe dreams.
11. Why does Harry immediately reject the cake?
(a) He does not like cake.
(b) He does not like the flavor.
(c) It is Hickey's idea.
(d) He misses his wife.
12. What does Hickey say about Harry's fear?
(a) It will never completely go away.
(b) It can and will fade.
(c) It is understandable.
(d) It will linger.
13. When will Rocky not keep Hickey from being executed?
(a) If Hickey killed his wife.
(b) If HIckey is mean to Rocky.
(c) If Hickey is arrested.
(d) If Hickey does not give Rocky money.
14. What does Rocky wonder about Evelyn?
(a) If she ever loved Hickey.
(b) If she is really dead.
(c) If Hickey killed her.
(d) If she committed suicide.
15. How do the others respond when Hickey proposes a second toast to living without pipe dreams?
(a) They all carefully sip their glasses of champagne.
(b) They all drink to the toast.
(c) They all dump their drinks in the sink.
(d) No one drinks to this toast.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Willie when he returns?
2. What does Larry do as the other down-and-outers drunkenly sing their favorite songs?
3. Why does Margie ask Cora to start playing the piano again?
4. When was the last time Harry had a cake?
5. What did Evelyn believe, no matter what Hickey did?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)