|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hickey do with a roll of money?
(a) Throws it away.
(b) Buys everyone a non-alcoholic beverage.
(c) Buys everyone a drink.
(d) Taunts everyone with it.
2. What new characters arrive?
(a) Megan and Patty.
(b) Mark and Patrick.
(c) Margie and Pearl.
(d) Molly and Polly.
3. How does everyone react when Hickey says he has stopped drinking?
(a) They are angry.
(b) They are sad.
(c) They think he is joking.
(d) They believe him instantly.
4. What had Willie been?
(a) A college professor.
(b) A brilliant law student.
(c) A mediocre med student.
(d) An alcoholic.
5. What does Parritt do when Hickey does not recognize him?
(a) He asks Hickey who he is.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He leaves.
(d) He introduces himself.
6. What does Larry say about all of his dreams?
(a) He has never had dreams.
(b) They are realistic.
(c) They are dead and buried.
(d) They are alive.
7. How do the others react to Joe's challenge?
(a) With tears.
(b) With laughter.
(c) With hostility.
(d) With surprise.
8. How does Hickey feel now that he does not have pipe dreams?
9. What does Hickey do with the regulars' various pipe dreams?
(a) He taunts them about their pipe dreams.
(b) He tells them to forget their pipe dreams.
(c) He counsels them on them.
(d) He lists them.
10. Why is Parritt's mother arrested?
(a) She evaded the draft.
(b) She is smuggling drugs.
(c) She kidnapped Parritt.
(d) For being involved in a bombing that killed several people.
11. Why does Larry leave the Movement?
(a) He did not get along with the other members.
(b) He did not believe in the ideals.
(c) He realized the ideals were pipe dreams.
(d) He no longer had time for it.
12. What does Pearl angrily suggest she and Margie do?
(a) Find real jobs.
(b) Get married.
(c) Leave the bar and Rocky.
(d) Admit they are prostitutes.
13. About what do Pearl and Margie tease Parritt?
(a) His mother's imprisonment.
(b) His lack of money.
(c) His relationship with Larry.
(d) His reluctance to enjoy their company.
14. What happens to the deluded peace of a group of regulars at a low-end bar?
(a) It is questioned.
(b) It continues.
(c) It is destroyed.
(d) It is interrupted.
15. On what do Lewis, Wetjoen, and Jimmy live?
(a) Veteran pay.
(b) Harry's generosity.
(c) Meager salaries.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Parritt having a conversation?
2. From where does Hickey know Parritt?
3. For what does Willie wake up enough to beg?
4. What is the story about?
5. What days does Joe recall?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)