|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hickey do with the regulars' various pipe dreams?
(a) He counsels them on them.
(b) He taunts them about their pipe dreams.
(c) He tells them to forget their pipe dreams.
(d) He lists them.
2. About what does Rocky complain?
(a) He is bored.
(b) He has too much to do.
(c) How Hickey is being too bossy.
(d) He has nothing to do.
3. How does Harry's mood become?
(a) Solemn and still.
(b) Agitated and nervous.
(c) Grieving and sentimental.
(d) Excited and happy.
4. What does Hickey say Parritt believes is finished?
(a) His family.
(b) His relationship.
(c) His life.
(d) His job.
5. What does Parritt ask Larry to tell him?
(a) Where to find a job.
(b) How to get a room in the hotel.
(c) About the other regulars.
(d) Where his mother is being held.
6. What does Hickey know about everyone?
(a) They understand him.
(b) They trust him.
(c) They like him.
(d) They resent him.
7. What days does Joe recall?
(a) When he first starting coming to the saloon.
(b) When he was married to his high school sweetheart.
(c) When he lived well off the proceeds of his successful gambling house.
(d) The days of his youth.
8. About what do Wetjoen and Lewis believe they will do together?
(a) Start a small business.
(b) Go on trips to South Africa and England.
(d) Live in a nice apartment.
9. What does Jimmy absolutely believe will happen to him?
(a) He will find a nice girl to marry.
(b) He will die young.
(c) He will get a newspaper job.
(d) He will become a millionaire.
10. Why does Parritt say he never would have come to the bar?
(a) If he had known he would be teased.
(b) If he had known the drinks were so expensive.
(c) If he had known is was a place where prostitutes hung out.
(d) If he had known the other clients would be so rude.
11. Why does Willie stop singing?
(a) Everyone is yelling at him to stop.
(b) He is bored with singing.
(c) When Harry seems about to take him upstairs.
(d) He is tired.
12. What does Willie's singing do?
(a) Awakens all the regulars.
(b) Encourages the other to join in.
(c) Annoys Harry.
(d) Breaks glass.
13. What story has Hickey not told?
(a) His milkman story.
(b) His mailman story.
(c) His own story.
(d) His iceman story.
14. From where does Hickey know Parritt?
(a) Grade school.
(b) He cannot say.
(c) The Movement.
(d) Little League baseball.
15. On what do Lewis, Wetjoen, and Jimmy live?
(a) Meager salaries.
(b) Veteran pay.
(d) Harry's generosity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Larry call Parritt?
2. What triggered a fight with his mother?
3. How is the night for the regulars at Harry Hope's saloon and bar?
4. Why does Willie begin to sing?
5. What happens to the deluded peace of a group of regulars at a low-end bar?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)