|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Rocky and Chuck leave?
(a) To see what the noise is.
(b) To call the authorities on Parritt.
(c) To buy gifts.
(d) To buy more alcohol.
2. What does Hickey reveal about his visit?
(a) He is there to visit his old friends.
(b) He is there to buy everyone drinks.
(c) He is there to celebrate Harry's birthday.
(d) He is not just there to celebrate Harry's birthday.
3. What does Hugo do after demanding that Parritt buy him a drink?
(a) He buys Parritt a drink.
(b) He retreats into unconsciousness.
(c) He goes upstairs to his room.
(d) He goes home.
4. What is Larry's comment about the others and their dreams?
(a) He is glad he does not have any pipe dreams.
(b) Hickey's got the right perspective.
(c) They are just fine the way they are.
(d) Their lives and dreams are a waste of time.
5. Why does Parritt say he never would have come to the bar?
(a) If he had known is was a place where prostitutes hung out.
(b) If he had known the drinks were so expensive.
(c) If he had known he would be teased.
(d) If he had known the other clients would be so rude.
6. Why does Willie stop singing?
(a) Everyone is yelling at him to stop.
(b) He is bored with singing.
(c) When Harry seems about to take him upstairs.
(d) He is tired.
7. What does Hugo jokingly call Rocky's prostitutes?
(a) His "wives".
(b) His "women of the night".
(c) His "girlfriends".
(d) His "slave girls".
8. What days does Joe recall?
(a) The days of his youth.
(b) When he first starting coming to the saloon.
(c) When he was married to his high school sweetheart.
(d) When he lived well off the proceeds of his successful gambling house.
9. What comments does Hickey say he heard?
(a) Pearl's comments about him acting strangely.
(b) Cora's comments about him being the iceman.
(c) Rocky's comments about how he is annoying.
(d) Larry's comments about him being afraid.
10. For what does Hickey again apologize?
(a) Arriving late.
(b) Bothering everyone.
(c) Sounding like a preacher.
(d) Not buying everyone drinks.
11. Where were Lewis and Wetjoen enemies?
(a) In South Africa.
(b) In the Bronx.
(c) In Detroit.
(d) In Amsterdam.
12. What is Willie determined to do?
(a) Be cheerful.
(b) Go and apply for a job.
(c) Stop drinking.
(d) Leave the bar.
13. Why does Larry leave the Movement?
(a) He no longer had time for it.
(b) He did not believe in the ideals.
(c) He did not get along with the other members.
(d) He realized the ideals were pipe dreams.
14. What kind of student is Willie?
(a) A law student.
(b) A grad student.
(c) A med student.
(d) A doctoral student.
15. What does Rocky do as Hickey greets the regulars?
(a) Buy a round of drinks for everyone.
(b) Pours Hickey a drink.
(c) Pours himself a drink.
(d) Goes to his room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Pearl and Margie do to Cora?
2. Why are Lewis and Wetjoen reliving their rivalry?
3. How is Cora helping?
4. What does he say about the person who made these comments?
5. Who mediates their argument?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)