|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tom announces that he Jenny, Bane, and Kowalski have about another hundred yards to go, how long have they been crawling toward the ice station?
2. What do two sailors use to cut through the insulation of one of the Jamesway huts to make a hole in the ceiling?
3. What is the Inuit word for "follow me"?
4. How old is the radioman on the Polar Sentinel?
5. Who is Captain Mikovsky's XO?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Ogden stay behind at the Ice Station?
2. Why does Matt believe that Bane is killed?
3. What were the canisters that a seaman saw the Russians dropping into a hole in the ice?
4. What is Dr. Ogden's theory about the grendels' social structure?
5. Who is Sedna?
6. Why did Admiral Petkov remain at Omega?
7. Why did the Russians bring Jenny and John to the base?
8. What is Mikovsky thinking after the Polar Sentinel pings his sub?
9. What message does Viktor send Matt to give to the Delta Force?
10. What is Mikovsky's primary mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the author uses cliffhangers to create suspense, to engage readers, and to advance plot.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 15, the author takes liberties with the history of the U.S. Arctic steamer "Jeannette," adjusting the facts to advance the novel's plot. Discuss how creative license is used in the novel and the purpose of using creative license in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Rollins uses suspense to create a state of uncertainty and to keep readers guessing. Discuss suspense and how the author uses suspense in the novel to advance the plot.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)