|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of a weapon does Matt carry when he pushes through the galley doors and enters the main station disguised in a Russian parka?
2. What do two sailors use to cut through the insulation of one of the Jamesway huts to make a hole in the ceiling?
3. What god does Tom remember from his grandfather's stories?
4. What does Amanda yell they need when the ice break on the ice boat is damaged?
5. What is Matt wearing when he regains consciousness after being captured by the Russians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Admiral Petkov remain at Omega?
2. What action does Commander Bratt propose when not all of the civilians can be located to evacuate from the Ice Station?
3. What happened to some of the survivors of the U.S. Arctic steamer Jeannette?
4. How is Viktor Petkov dressed at the beginning of Chapter 11?
5. Why did no one investigate when communications with the Ice Station were lost?
6. Who is Sedna?
7. How is the code broken for the journals that Craig steals from the Ice Station?
8. How does Jenny stop the creature that starts to follow them down the ventilation shaft?
9. What does Matt believe it would take for Delta Force to take the Ice Station from the Russians?
10. How is the way that the grendels track Craig's group as they attempt to escape across the ice similar to the way polar bears hunt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, clues are given that something horrible is on Level 4. Discuss these clues and whether they indicate the real horror that exists on that level.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 2, Matt and Stefan survive despite the challenges they face. Discuss perseverance in the novel and how various characters demonstrate this trait.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 9, Amanda is able to use the walkie-talkie to call for help; but, because of her deafness, she doesn't know if anyone hears her. Discuss Amanda's deafness and the challenges it presents throughout the novel. Are there times when her deafness is an advantage?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)