|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Captain Mikovsky's XO?
2. What do Matt, Bratt and the others hope to steal to make their escape from the Ice Station?
3. Where is there a weapons locker on the Ice Station?
4. Where are corpses from the Ice Station kept?
5. What does the living Grendel measure from muzzle to tail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the code broken for the journals that Craig steals from the Ice Station?
2. What is Mikovsky thinking after the Polar Sentinel pings his sub?
3. What has to be done after the ice brake is damaged on the ice boat to stop the boat?
4. What happened to some of the survivors of the U.S. Arctic steamer Jeannette?
5. How is the way that the grendels track Craig's group as they attempt to escape across the ice similar to the way polar bears hunt?
6. What were the canisters that a seaman saw the Russians dropping into a hole in the ice?
7. After the Ice Station entrance is bombed, why does Craig have the rest of the Delta Force stand down 30 miles away?
8. What does the creature look like that comes into the nest where Amanda is hiding?
9. What is on Level 4?
10. What action does Commander Bratt propose when not all of the civilians can be located to evacuate from the Ice Station?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 17, Matt and Jenny are reunited at the Ice Station, and it seemed as if all the bitter years had never happened. Discuss the relationship between Matt and Jenny and how their relationship changed throughout the novel
Essay Topic 2
The theme of fathers and sons is interwoven throughout the novel. Discuss the theme of father and sons in the novel. Which father/son pairs are essential to the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, clues are given that something horrible is on Level 4. Discuss these clues and whether they indicate the real horror that exists on that level.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)