|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the demolition expert reports on what he has discovered about the nuclear device, how long do they have before the device will go off?
2. How many years was the Ice Station operational?
3. When was the "Jeannette" crushed by ice floes?
4. In Chapter 10, where did the Russians find a seaman hiding?
5. How many homemade Molotovs do Craig and the others have when they join Jenny's group?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sedna?
2. What were the canisters that a seaman saw the Russians dropping into a hole in the ice?
3. Why did the Russians bring Jenny and John to the base?
4. What does the creature look like that comes into the nest where Amanda is hiding?
5. What action does Commander Bratt propose when not all of the civilians can be located to evacuate from the Ice Station?
6. Why did no one investigate when communications with the Ice Station were lost?
7. What is Mikovsky's primary mission?
8. What message does Viktor send Matt to give to the Delta Force?
9. Who is Craig?
10. After the Ice Station entrance is bombed, why does Craig have the rest of the Delta Force stand down 30 miles away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The grendels play a large role in the novel. Discuss the creatures: their appearance, behavior, theories about them, and their role in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The mood of the novel varies from chapter to chapter and even from one scene in a chapter to another. Discuss the overall mood of the novel and whether the mood is more positive or negative.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 2, Matt and Stefan survive despite the challenges they face. Discuss perseverance in the novel and how various characters demonstrate this trait.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)