|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many feet of water cushions the Polar Sentinel when Omega station blows up?
2. How many black men with syphilis were unwitting research subjects?
3. How close did the beast get to Amanda's hiding place in Chapter 9, before it turned away?
4. How many years was the Ice Station operational?
5. What is Matt wearing when he regains consciousness after being captured by the Russians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Ogden stay behind at the Ice Station?
2. Who is Craig?
3. What message does Viktor send Matt to give to the Delta Force?
4. What does Amanda do to try to lure the grendel off Matt's and her scent?
5. How is Viktor Petkov dressed at the beginning of Chapter 11?
6. Who is Sedna?
7. Why does Viktor believe that the Inuit boy bonds with him?
8. Why did the Russians bring Jenny and John to the base?
9. Why did Admiral Petkov remain at Omega?
10. What does the creature look like that comes into the nest where Amanda is hiding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 15, the author takes liberties with the history of the U.S. Arctic steamer "Jeannette," adjusting the facts to advance the novel's plot. Discuss how creative license is used in the novel and the purpose of using creative license in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, Jenny states, "Some things can't be forgiven." Discuss why and who Jenny cannot forgive.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the author uses exposition to reveal information about the past. Discuss how exposition informs readers about characters, plot, and setting of the novel.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)