|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years was the Ice Station operational?
2. In Chapter 8, how many inches of ice cover the skylight?
3. What is Craig's code name?
4. Who is Captain Mikovsky's XO?
5. What god does Tom remember from his grandfather's stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amanda do to try to lure the grendel off Matt's and her scent?
2. Who is Sedna?
3. How does Jenny stop the creature that starts to follow them down the ventilation shaft?
4. Why did Admiral Petkov remain at Omega?
5. What does Matt believe it would take for Delta Force to take the Ice Station from the Russians?
6. What were the canisters that a seaman saw the Russians dropping into a hole in the ice?
7. After the Ice Station entrance is bombed, why does Craig have the rest of the Delta Force stand down 30 miles away?
8. What does the creature look like that comes into the nest where Amanda is hiding?
9. What is stored in the armory in the Ice Station?
10. How is Viktor Petkov dressed at the beginning of Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 9, Amanda is able to use the walkie-talkie to call for help; but, because of her deafness, she doesn't know if anyone hears her. Discuss Amanda's deafness and the challenges it presents throughout the novel. Are there times when her deafness is an advantage?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 15, the author takes liberties with the history of the U.S. Arctic steamer "Jeannette," adjusting the facts to advance the novel's plot. Discuss how creative license is used in the novel and the purpose of using creative license in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 17, Matt and Jenny are reunited at the Ice Station, and it seemed as if all the bitter years had never happened. Discuss the relationship between Matt and Jenny and how their relationship changed throughout the novel
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)