|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amanda yell they need when the ice break on the ice boat is damaged?
2. What do two sailors use to cut through the insulation of one of the Jamesway huts to make a hole in the ceiling?
3. How many sentinels does Dr. Ogden believe stay awake when the other grendels hibernate?
4. What is the Inuit word for "follow me"?
5. How old is the student that comes running to tell Dr. Ogden that the creatures seem to be moving?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to some of the survivors of the U.S. Arctic steamer Jeannette?
2. What does Amanda do to try to lure the grendel off Matt's and her scent?
3. What does the creature look like that comes into the nest where Amanda is hiding?
4. How is the way that the grendels track Craig's group as they attempt to escape across the ice similar to the way polar bears hunt?
5. What does Matt see as he and his group hunker down near the Sno-cat wreckage?
6. What is on Level 4?
7. What is stored in the armory in the Ice Station?
8. What were the canisters that a seaman saw the Russians dropping into a hole in the ice?
9. What message does Viktor send Matt to give to the Delta Force?
10. What is Dr. Ogden's theory about the grendels' social structure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The mood of the novel varies from chapter to chapter and even from one scene in a chapter to another. Discuss the overall mood of the novel and whether the mood is more positive or negative.
Essay Topic 2
Rollins uses suspense to create a state of uncertainty and to keep readers guessing. Discuss suspense and how the author uses suspense in the novel to advance the plot.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 17, Matt and Jenny are reunited at the Ice Station, and it seemed as if all the bitter years had never happened. Discuss the relationship between Matt and Jenny and how their relationship changed throughout the novel
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)