|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amanda yell they need when the ice break on the ice boat is damaged?
2. What does Jenny ride in with Craig back to the Ice Station when it is discovered that Craig needs additional journals?
3. In Chapter 14, how does Jenny get Bane to stop barking?
4. How many of Craig's men are killed when Viktor sets off an explosion at the entrance of the Ice Station?
5. How old is the radioman on the Polar Sentinel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Matt see as he and his group hunker down near the Sno-cat wreckage?
2. Why did the Russians bring Jenny and John to the base?
3. What is Mikovsky's primary mission?
4. Why does Matt believe that Bane is killed?
5. What happened to some of the survivors of the U.S. Arctic steamer Jeannette?
6. How is the code broken for the journals that Craig steals from the Ice Station?
7. Why does Maki remind Matt of Tyler?
8. After the Ice Station entrance is bombed, why does Craig have the rest of the Delta Force stand down 30 miles away?
9. How is Viktor Petkov dressed at the beginning of Chapter 11?
10. What is Mikovsky thinking after the Polar Sentinel pings his sub?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 15, the author takes liberties with the history of the U.S. Arctic steamer "Jeannette," adjusting the facts to advance the novel's plot. Discuss how creative license is used in the novel and the purpose of using creative license in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 2, Matt and Stefan survive despite the challenges they face. Discuss perseverance in the novel and how various characters demonstrate this trait.
Essay Topic 3
The grendels play a large role in the novel. Discuss the creatures: their appearance, behavior, theories about them, and their role in the novel.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)