|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Amanda Reynolds lose her hearing?
2. How did Dr. Willig's wife die?
3. In Chapter 4, what empty box does Amanda see as she goes into the Crawl Space with Henry Ogden?
4. The submarine finds a very large ice island; what does the crew compare the island to?
5. What color parkas do the men wear who escort Jenny, Matt, John, and Craig off the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean to Viktor when he learns that the U.S. Delta Force has been mobilized?
2. Describe the USS Polar Sentinel.
3. What is found by Henry Ogden in a tunnel in the Crawl Space?
4. How has Russian changed during Viktor's lifetime?
5. In Chapter 5, what are some signs that the land is experiencing a spring thaw?
6. Why was Craig sent to the drift station to do a story?
7. Why does Matt believe that the sky divers anticipated an ambush?
8. Where does Amanda find Lacy?
9. How did Amanda lose her hearing?
10. Describe the cabin that Matt helped to build and that Jenny and her father live in.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 9, Amanda is able to use the walkie-talkie to call for help; but, because of her deafness, she doesn't know if anyone hears her. Discuss Amanda's deafness and the challenges it presents throughout the novel. Are there times when her deafness is an advantage?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the author uses exposition to reveal information about the past. Discuss how exposition informs readers about characters, plot, and setting of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The mood of the novel varies from chapter to chapter and even from one scene in a chapter to another. Discuss the overall mood of the novel and whether the mood is more positive or negative.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)