|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Lacy Devlin having an affair?
2. What type of plane does Matt Pike see and then hear as it crashes?
3. What nickname is given to the class of submarine that the USS Polar Sentinel belongs to?
4. The submarine finds a very large ice island; what does the crew compare the island to?
5. Where did Matt go to college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Matt believe that the sky divers anticipated an ambush?
2. What does Perry remember finding at the Russian ice base?
3. What is the Continental Divide?
4. In Chapter 5, what are some signs that the land is experiencing a spring thaw?
5. Describe the USS Polar Sentinel.
6. How are the titanium spheres being arranged by the Russian divers?
7. Why is the Sentinel all but invisible to most means of detection?
8. Describe the Arrigetch Peaks.
9. What does the creature look like that Lacy sees?
10. What is the task of the crew on the USS Polar Sentinel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, characters have to use teamwork to survive crises. Discuss how characters use teamwork in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses chapter headings in "Ice Hunt" to help readers determine the main idea in each section. Discuss how chapter headings help sum up the main idea in a section.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 9, Amanda is able to use the walkie-talkie to call for help; but, because of her deafness, she doesn't know if anyone hears her. Discuss Amanda's deafness and the challenges it presents throughout the novel. Are there times when her deafness is an advantage?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)