|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Matt Pike been divorced?
2. How many generators have been preserved at the old Russian ice station?
3. How old is the ensign who agrees to look after Bane while Matt, Jenny, John, and Craig go to the Ice Station?
4. How far is the Omega Drift Station from the shore of the polynya?
5. What type of animal is trying to steal Jennifer's marten in her father's trap?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did no one investigate when communications with the Ice Station were lost?
2. After the Ice Station entrance is bombed, why does Craig have the rest of the Delta Force stand down 30 miles away?
3. What is the Continental Divide?
4. How does Amanda try to block two of the Polaris amplifiers?
5. Why does Matt believe that Bane is killed?
6. What is Dr. Ogden's theory about the grendels' social structure?
7. How has Russian changed during Viktor's lifetime?
8. To what does Dr. Willig compare the creatures in the Crawl Space?
9. How does Jenny stop the creature that starts to follow them down the ventilation shaft?
10. Describe the Arrigetch Peaks.
Essay Topic 1
Amanda decided to defy authority and bring Jenny, Matt, Craig, and John to the Ice Station. Discuss Amanda's reasons for deciding to bring the four to the ice station.
Essay Topic 2
The mood of the novel varies from chapter to chapter and even from one scene in a chapter to another. Discuss the overall mood of the novel and whether the mood is more positive or negative.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of fathers and sons is interwoven throughout the novel. Discuss the theme of father and sons in the novel. Which father/son pairs are essential to the plot?
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)