|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many months does the sun not set over the polar ice cap?
2. What type of tree branch splinters when a sky diver aims at Matt while he crouches in ambush?
3. In Chapter 4, what empty box does Amanda see as she goes into the Crawl Space with Henry Ogden?
4. How much time does Perry want to allow to evacuate the ice station?
5. How many levels are there in Ice Station Grendel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jenny look like?
2. What does it mean to Viktor when he learns that the U.S. Delta Force has been mobilized?
3. In Chapter 5, what are some signs that the land is experiencing a spring thaw?
4. What is the task of the crew on the USS Polar Sentinel?
5. What does the creature look like that Lacy sees?
6. What is the Continental Divide?
7. How did Amanda lose her hearing?
8. How did Belinda and Bennie meet?
9. Why is the Sentinel all but invisible to most means of detection?
10. What is an ice island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Jenny and her father have established an uneasy peace, but as the novel progresses their relationship changes. Discuss how and why their relationship changes.
Essay Topic 2
The mood of the novel varies from chapter to chapter and even from one scene in a chapter to another. Discuss the overall mood of the novel and whether the mood is more positive or negative.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the author uses cliffhangers to create suspense, to engage readers, and to advance plot.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)