|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Matt's horse?
2. How did Dr. Willig's wife die?
3. What is John's full Inuit name?
4. When did Dr. Willig win the Nobel prize?
5. In Chapter 4, what empty box does Amanda see as she goes into the Crawl Space with Henry Ogden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Amanda lose her hearing?
2. Describe the cabin that Matt helped to build and that Jenny and her father live in.
3. How did Belinda and Bennie meet?
4. How has Russian changed during Viktor's lifetime?
5. What types of research projects are being conducted at Omega Drift Station?
6. In Chapter 5, what are some signs that the land is experiencing a spring thaw?
7. Why was Craig sent to the drift station to do a story?
8. Describe the Arrigetch Peaks.
9. What does the creature look like that Lacy sees?
10. Why hasn't Matt tried to do something so Bane won't snore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 15, the author takes liberties with the history of the U.S. Arctic steamer "Jeannette," adjusting the facts to advance the novel's plot. Discuss how creative license is used in the novel and the purpose of using creative license in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, Jenny and her father have established an uneasy peace, but as the novel progresses their relationship changes. Discuss how and why their relationship changes.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 9, Amanda is able to use the walkie-talkie to call for help; but, because of her deafness, she doesn't know if anyone hears her. Discuss Amanda's deafness and the challenges it presents throughout the novel. Are there times when her deafness is an advantage?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)