|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men arrive on snowmobiles when Jenny lands the plane at the polar ice cap?
2. For how many months does the sun not set over the polar ice cap?
3. What color is the sail on Amanda's ice boat?
4. When is it believed that the walking whale died out?
5. How old is Viktor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Amanda lose her hearing?
2. Why does Matt believe that the sky divers anticipated an ambush?
3. Describe the cabin that Matt helped to build and that Jenny and her father live in.
4. What is the Continental Divide?
5. What does Perry remember finding at the Russian ice base?
6. Why is the Sentinel all but invisible to most means of detection?
7. Why and how does Jennifer Aratuk run her father's trapline?
8. Describe the Arrigetch Peaks.
9. In Chapter 5, what are some signs that the land is experiencing a spring thaw?
10. What is found by Henry Ogden in a tunnel in the Crawl Space?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the author uses exposition to reveal information about the past. Discuss how exposition informs readers about characters, plot, and setting of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, Jenny states, "Some things can't be forgiven." Discuss why and who Jenny cannot forgive.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 15, the author takes liberties with the history of the U.S. Arctic steamer "Jeannette," adjusting the facts to advance the novel's plot. Discuss how creative license is used in the novel and the purpose of using creative license in the novel.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)