|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What submarine did Captain Perry's father serve aboard?
2. How old was Matt's son when he died?
3. What sport did Lacy Devlin participate in in the 2000 Olympics?
4. How far is the USS Polar Sentinel from Prudhoe Bay in Chapter 5?
5. What color parkas do the men wear who escort Jenny, Matt, John, and Craig off the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why and how does Jennifer Aratuk run her father's trapline?
2. What is an ice island?
3. Why does Matt believe that the sky divers anticipated an ambush?
4. In Chapter 5, what are some signs that the land is experiencing a spring thaw?
5. What types of research projects are being conducted at Omega Drift Station?
6. What type of a welcome do Jenny, Matt, and the others receive when they land at the place where they believe the drift station is?
7. Describe the cabin that Matt helped to build and that Jenny and her father live in.
8. To what does Dr. Willig compare the creatures in the Crawl Space?
9. Describe the USS Polar Sentinel.
10. How is the Drakon equipped?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the author uses cliffhangers to create suspense, to engage readers, and to advance plot.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, Amanda is able to use the walkie-talkie to call for help; but, because of her deafness, she doesn't know if anyone hears her. Discuss Amanda's deafness and the challenges it presents throughout the novel. Are there times when her deafness is an advantage?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, clues are given that something horrible is on Level 4. Discuss these clues and whether they indicate the real horror that exists on that level.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)