|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how many months does the sun not set over the polar ice cap?
(a) 4 months.
(b) 2 months.
(c) 5 months.
(d) 3 months.
2. How many divers does it take to secure each of the titanium spheres in place?
3. When did Snow Eagle place third in the Iditarod?
4. How long ago did Dr. Willig's wife die?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 9 months.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 6 months.
5. The submarine finds a very large ice island; what does the crew compare the island to?
6. How far does Lacy fall when she is fleeing from the creature?
(a) 30 ft.
(b) 20 ft.
(c) 25 ft.
(d) 15 ft.
7. Where does Henry Ogden tell Amanda that specimens of the walking whale have been found before?
(a) Pakistan and China.
(b) Vietnam and Thailand.
(c) Norway and Sweden.
(d) Canada and Greenland.
8. At the beginning of Chapter 1, how many fathoms is the USS Polar Sentinel under the polar ice cap?
9. What type of tree branch splinters when a sky diver aims at Matt while he crouches in ambush?
10. What time does Matt hear the screams of the sky diver who is killed by grizzlies?
(a) 10:03 p.m.
(b) 12:11 a.m.
(c) 1:15 a.m.
(d) 11:54 p.m.
11. How far does the waterfall drop that Jenny flies over as she tries to fly away from the plane that is shooting at them?
(a) 400 ft.
(b) 100 ft.
(c) 200 ft.
(d) 300 ft.
12. In Chapter 7, at what speed are winds registering as the storm approaches the ice station?
(a) Around 90 mph.
(b) More than 70 mph.
(c) Over 85 mph.
(d) About 55 mph.
13. How far is Prudhoe Bay from Jenny's cabin?
(a) 500 miles.
(b) 40 miles.
(c) 400 miles.
(d) 300 miles.
14. In 1997, what was the cost to the world when El Nino occurred?
(a) $90 billion.
(b) $55 million.
(c) $100 billion.
(d) $75 billion.
15. How far is the Omega Drift Station from the shore of the polynya?
(a) 3/4 mile.
(b) 1/3 mile.
(c) 1/2 mile.
(d) ¼ mile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Inuit call the Aurora Borealis?
2. When did Belinda and Bennie lose a child?
3. How many levels are there in Ice Station Grendel?
4. How many generators have been preserved at the old Russian ice station?
5. What is the average thickness of the polar ice cap where the USS Polar Sentinel is patrolling?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)