|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to MacFerran, how old is the ice at the level where the walking whale was found?
(a) 12,000 years.
(b) 45,000 years.
(c) 50,000 years.
(d) 75,000 years.
2. How long has Viktor waited to avenge his father's death?
(a) 65 years.
(b) 50 years.
(c) 45 years.
(d) 60 years.
3. Where is Dr. Willig from?
4. How long ago did Dr. Willig's wife die?
(a) 9 months.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 2 years.
5. Where did Lacy Devlin attend graduate school?
6. When did Dr. Willig win the Nobel prize?
(b) He did not win it.
7. What is the average thickness of the polar ice cap where the USS Polar Sentinel is patrolling?
(a) 10 ft.
(b) 20 ft.
(c) 5 ft.
(d) 15 ft.
8. What are Matt, Jenny, Craig, and John offered when they are taken from the plane to the mess hall?
9. What color is the sail on Amanda's ice boat?
10. How many levels are there in Ice Station Grendel?
11. If the ice found atop Greenland and the continent of Antarctica melted, how high might the world's oceans rise?
(a) 500 feet.
(b) 300 feet.
(c) 400 feet.
(d) 600 feet.
12. How far is Matt's camp from the waterfall where he shoots one of the sky divers?
(a) 7 miles.
(b) 1 mile.
(c) 4 miles.
(d) 2 miles.
13. What type of tree branch splinters when a sky diver aims at Matt while he crouches in ambush?
14. For how many months does the sun not set over the polar ice cap?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 5 months.
(c) 4 months.
(d) 2 months.
15. How tall is Captain Perry?
(a) 5 ft. 2 in.
(b) 5 ft. 10 in.
(c) 6 ft. 2 in.
(d) 6 ft.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 6, how many more sunrises does Matt expect to see before the sun will stay in the sky and not set?
2. How far is the USS Polar Sentinel from Prudhoe Bay in Chapter 5?
3. How many men arrive on snowmobiles when Jenny lands the plane at the polar ice cap?
4. In 1997, what was the cost to the world when El Nino occurred?
5. What is the name of Matt's horse?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)