|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to tradition, the Apostle James:
2. Entremeses are:
3. How long did the battle for Teruel last?
4. The bulls run a distance of:
5. Pamplona is preparing for the yearly feast of:
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of corruption takes place in bullfighting?
2. What is a tapas bar?
3. Where does the world Iberia come from?
4. What are Michener's views on Portugal?
5. What is one of the things the Spanish town of Estrella is known for?
6. What was the Spanish Inquisition?
7. What caused the decline of the University of Salamanca?
8. In Madrid, Michener meets Don Luis, whom he first met at Las Marimas. What do the two men talk about?
9. What is the cuadrilla?
10. Why was Michener happy to make the pilgrimage to Compostella when he has made it before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you wanted to explore the Muslim influence in Spain, which city or cities would you go to and why? Explain what the Great Mosque and Alhambra are and what their significance is.
Essay Topic 2
MIchener makes a point of studying a country before he travels. What is the value of this approach? Would you spend the time researching a foreign country before visiting? Why or why not? What do you lose by not doing so?
Essay Topic 3
From what you have read in the book, what is your favorite area of Spain? Why? Explain some of the things you would want to see and do there if you traveled to that area.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)