|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Paths to the Way of St. James come from:
2. On the way to Teruel, Michener stopped in:
3. While sitting in the Plaza Mayor, Michener overhears a conversation of a group of Frenchmen. What does he learn?
4. Entremeses are:
5. According to tradition, the Apostle James:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Casa de las Conchas?
2. Why is there antagonism between Barcelona and Madrid?
3. Why is Michener's wife excited about visiting Barcelona?
4. How had the small town of Teruel become significant in the Spanish Civil War?
5. What is the sardona?
6. What does Michener say that Arevalo is renowned for?
7. What is the cuadrilla?
8. What caused the decline of the University of Salamanca?
9. What does Michener say he tries to focus on in Iberia?
10. What was the Spanish Inquisition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michener describes himself as a tourist in Spain and says that the experiences he had in Spain are available to any intelligent traveler. Do you agree with him? What is required to have the experience that Michener had? Do you think the fact that he is a famous writer helps?
Essay Topic 2
MIchener makes a point of studying a country before he travels. What is the value of this approach? Would you spend the time researching a foreign country before visiting? Why or why not? What do you lose by not doing so?
Essay Topic 3
What is Pamplona known for? Why do people come from all over the world to take part? What is a corrida? Explain.
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)