|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a famous wine of the region?
2. While sitting in the Plaza Mayor, Michener overhears a conversation of a group of Frenchmen. What does he learn?
3. The most popular matador was:
4. Who walks into the Bar Txoco when Michener is there?
5. Michener describes Barcelona as the:
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of corruption takes place in bullfighting?
2. What caused the decline of the University of Salamanca?
3. How does a Spaniard defend bullfighting when Americans call it barbaric?
4. What is the Day of St. James?
5. What is the cuadrilla?
6. How do the Spanish acquire apartments in the seacoast areas?
7. What does Michener say that Arevalo is renowned for?
8. When Michener discusses the changes that have taken place in Madrid since his first visit, to what does he attribute the changed mores of women?
9. Who were the Lovers of Teruel?
10. Where does the world Iberia come from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Way of St. James? What is the history associated with it and why is it significant? What is the Day of St. James and where is it celebrated?
Essay Topic 2
When Michener travels in the Extremadura, what does he find out about the young men? Why do they return if they go to Germany? In what other countries do you think this phenomena occurs?
Essay Topic 3
What is the story behind the Lovers of Teruel? Is it a true story? What can be seen at the tomb? Why does it help to know the history of a place such as the tomb of the Lovers of Teruel?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)