|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is significant about Estrella?
2. A corrida is:
3. The Day of St. James begins with a midnight:
4. The highlight of the feast of San Fermin is the:
5. The colors of the cape are:
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Spanish Inquisition?
2. What is the Casa de las Conchas?
3. What is a tapas bar?
4. What is the cuadrilla?
5. Why was Michener happy to make the pilgrimage to Compostella when he has made it before?
6. Where does the world Iberia come from?
7. In Madrid, Michener meets Don Luis, whom he first met at Las Marimas. What do the two men talk about?
8. What is the Day of St. James?
9. What caused the decline of the University of Salamanca?
10. What does Michener say that Arevalo is renowned for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the Spanish Inquisition? Why did it take place? Explain the workings of the investigations and the disposition of those investigated.
Essay Topic 2
Sports are a major part of life in Spain. What are the popular sports that Michener mentioned? What is the nature of and the problem with corruption in bullfighting? In what way does this deceive the public?
Essay Topic 3
What is the story behind the Lovers of Teruel? Is it a true story? What can be seen at the tomb? Why does it help to know the history of a place such as the tomb of the Lovers of Teruel?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)