|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Benjamin of Tudela did all but the following:
2. The bulls run a distance of:
3. What did Michener discover had occurred along the Mediterranean sea coast since his last visit three years earlier?
4. How long did the battle for Teruel last?
5. The saint worshiped at Avila is:
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of corruption takes place in bullfighting?
2. Why was Teruel of personal interest to Michener?
3. What is Pamplona famous for?
4. Why was Michener happy to make the pilgrimage to Compostella when he has made it before?
5. What is a tapas bar?
6. What is the cuadrilla?
7. What is Michener's attitude toward bullfighting?
8. In Madrid, Michener meets Don Luis, whom he first met at Las Marimas. What do the two men talk about?
9. What is the sardona?
10. What caused the decline of the University of Salamanca?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Has this book stimulated your interests in Spain? Why or why not? What parts of Spain would you like to see? Why? What parts would you like to avoid and why?
Essay Topic 2
MIchener makes a point of studying a country before he travels. What is the value of this approach? Would you spend the time researching a foreign country before visiting? Why or why not? What do you lose by not doing so?
Essay Topic 3
There is a strong separatism movement in Spain in Catalonia, especially in the Basque region. Explain what separatism is. What is it that the Catalan separatists want? What are the effects of separatism?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)