|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Moore was an English general in the war against:
2. Who shows Michener around Teruel?
3. According to tradition, the Apostle James:
4. Michener claims to have seen how many bullfights?
5. Which Spanish city had the most personal meaning for Michener?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a Spaniard defend bullfighting when Americans call it barbaric?
2. What is a tapas bar?
3. Why was Teruel of personal interest to Michener?
4. What kind of corruption takes place in bullfighting?
5. What is the Black Legend?
6. What is the sardona?
7. What are Michener's views on Portugal?
8. What does Michener say that Arevalo is renowned for?
9. Why was Michener happy to make the pilgrimage to Compostella when he has made it before?
10. What is one of the things the Spanish town of Estrella is known for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sports are a major part of life in Spain. What are the popular sports that Michener mentioned? What is the nature of and the problem with corruption in bullfighting? In what way does this deceive the public?
Essay Topic 2
When Michener travels in the Extremadura, what does he find out about the young men? Why do they return if they go to Germany? In what other countries do you think this phenomena occurs?
Essay Topic 3
Why is there so much Islamic history in Spain? How did the Muslims come to be in Spain? When were they expelled from Spain and why?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)