|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Michener returned to the village of San Augustin, he found all but the following:
2. The tertulia is a:
3. Michener describes the journey across northern Spain to Santiago de Compostella as:
4. Which of the following is not one of Michener's reasons for going to the Pamploma region?
5. Which Spanish city had the most personal meaning for Michener?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pamplona famous for?
2. What is the cuadrilla?
3. Why is Michener's wife excited about visiting Barcelona?
4. In Madrid, Michener meets Don Luis, whom he first met at Las Marimas. What do the two men talk about?
5. What did Michener think of his experience in Castielfabib?
6. What caused the decline of the University of Salamanca?
7. What does Michener say he tries to focus on in Iberia?
8. What is the Black Legend?
9. What are Michener's views on Portugal?
10. What was the Spanish Inquisition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the Spanish Inquisition? Why did it take place? Explain the workings of the investigations and the disposition of those investigated.
Essay Topic 2
Sports are a major part of life in Spain. What are the popular sports that Michener mentioned? What is the nature of and the problem with corruption in bullfighting? In what way does this deceive the public?
Essay Topic 3
If you wanted to explore the Muslim influence in Spain, which city or cities would you go to and why? Explain what the Great Mosque and Alhambra are and what their significance is.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)