|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Banderrilas are:
2. The patron saint of Spain is:
3. A complete bull fight consists of how many bulls?
4. The bulls that give the best fight are from:
5. The Prado is a famous:
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of corruption takes place in bullfighting?
2. What is a tapas bar?
3. What is one of the things the Spanish town of Estrella is known for?
4. What did Michener think of his experience in Castielfabib?
5. Why was Teruel of personal interest to Michener?
6. Why was Michener happy to make the pilgrimage to Compostella when he has made it before?
7. What does Michener say that Arevalo is renowned for?
8. What is Pamplona famous for?
9. When Michener discusses the changes that have taken place in Madrid since his first visit, to what does he attribute the changed mores of women?
10. What are Michener's views on Portugal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Under the Franco dictatorship, the press and writers were subject to censorship. Describe the nature of this censorship. What was its purpose? Do you think it was healthy for the public? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
MIchener makes a point of studying a country before he travels. What is the value of this approach? Would you spend the time researching a foreign country before visiting? Why or why not? What do you lose by not doing so?
Essay Topic 3
Franco established a right wing dictatorship after winning the Spanish Civil War. Discuss the Franco dictatorship. What did the terms red and white refer to after the establishment of the dictatorship? Were they distortions? Why does a dictatorship have to lie to its people?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)