|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the decline of the University of Salamanca?
2. The Way of St. James is:
3. Along the route is the shrine to:
4. This pilgrimage across Spain is known as:
5. The Prado is a famous:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Michener's attitude toward bullfighting?
2. How had the small town of Teruel become significant in the Spanish Civil War?
3. Why is Michener's wife excited about visiting Barcelona?
4. When Michener discusses the changes that have taken place in Madrid since his first visit, to what does he attribute the changed mores of women?
5. What is the Black Legend?
6. How do the Spanish acquire apartments in the seacoast areas?
7. Who were the Lovers of Teruel?
8. What is the Casa de las Conchas?
9. What did Michener think of his experience in Castielfabib?
10. What is the Way of St. James?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a great deal of his story contained in Michener's Iberia. Is this a good way to learn history? Do you feel that Michener's presentation makes it more interesting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
MIchener makes a point of studying a country before he travels. What is the value of this approach? Would you spend the time researching a foreign country before visiting? Why or why not? What do you lose by not doing so?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Spanish Civil War. Who was fighting who and why? Why did the war attract volunteers from around the world? What was the Abraham Lincoln Brigade?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)