|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the major feast in Santiago de Compostella?
2. Sets of robes for the Virgin of Guadeloupe are all but the following?
3. What does Michener learn of the publishing business in Spain?
4. Where did Isabel die?
5. In terms of publishing, what sells well?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a Spaniard defend bullfighting when Americans call it barbaric?
2. Who were the Lovers of Teruel?
3. In Madrid, Michener meets Don Luis, whom he first met at Las Marimas. What do the two men talk about?
4. What is the Way of St. James?
5. What is the sardona?
6. What kind of corruption takes place in bullfighting?
7. What is the Black Legend?
8. What are Michener's views on Portugal?
9. Where does the world Iberia come from?
10. What was the Spanish Inquisition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Under the Franco dictatorship, the press and writers were subject to censorship. Describe the nature of this censorship. What was its purpose? Do you think it was healthy for the public? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Where does the word Iberia come from? What areas are usually included in the term Iberia? What does the Rio Ebro have to do with the term Iberia?
Essay Topic 3
Franco established a right wing dictatorship after winning the Spanish Civil War. Discuss the Franco dictatorship. What did the terms red and white refer to after the establishment of the dictatorship? Were they distortions? Why does a dictatorship have to lie to its people?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)