|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The oranges were shipped in:
2. Cordoba was a center of:
3. What problems did Michener have at the first restaurant he visited?
4. At the time of Michener's visit to Badajoz, the leader of Spain is:
5. Damascene is:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the first things that Michener wants to know about Badajoz?
2. How does the American end up attending a bullfight in Valencia?
3. What are the three kinds of floats that take part in the processions?
4. What is the purpose of the oranges the freighter is picking up?
5. Why did Michener want to go to Badajoz?
6. How did there come to be an Islamic culture in Spain?
7. Why does Michener feel that Toledo reveals the essence of Spanish history?
8. What is significant about the cathedral of Toledo?
9. What is the Alhambra?
10. Who was Maimonides, another of the great men whose birthplace Michener wanted to see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the Spanish Inquisition? Why did it take place? Explain the workings of the investigations and the disposition of those investigated.
Essay Topic 2
From what you have read in the book, what is your favorite area of Spain? Why? Explain some of the things you would want to see and do there if you traveled to that area.
Essay Topic 3
Michener describes himself as a tourist in Spain and says that the experiences he had in Spain are available to any intelligent traveler. Do you agree with him? What is required to have the experience that Michener had? Do you think the fact that he is a famous writer helps?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)