|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where else had the American traveled as he did in Spain?
2. In Castellon, what did the women throw from the balconies?
3. Sevilla is described as:
4. The festivities preceding Easter are called the:
5. Michener travels to Badajoz by:
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the Goths and the Visigoths?
2. Why does Michener consider the side trip to Merida to be a necessity?
3. Who was Cisneros?
4. Who was Seneca, one of the four men whose birthplace Michener wanted to see?
5. What is the purpose of the darts with streamers thrown by the woman of the balconies in Castellon?
6. Why does Michener recommend Sevilla as the city to visit if the traveler can only visit one city in Spain?
7. Why does Michener feel that Toledo reveals the essence of Spanish history?
8. Why does the author compare Spain to Italy?
9. Why did Michener want to go to Badajoz?
10. What is the purpose of the oranges the freighter is picking up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a strong separatism movement in Spain in Catalonia, especially in the Basque region. Explain what separatism is. What is it that the Catalan separatists want? What are the effects of separatism?
Essay Topic 2
The Catholic Church has always played a strong role in Spain. Discuss this role. Do the people accept the role of the church? Why or why not? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What was Michener's purpose for writing the book? Why did he avoid the opinions of travelers who had visited Spain? Do you think this was wise? Do you think that Michener accomplished his objective? Why or why not?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)