|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michener learn of the young men of the village in Extremadura?
2. Hosius was a great:
3. The terms Las Marismas means:
4. After church on Palm Sunday, participants don:
5. Where else had the American traveled as he did in Spain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Alhambra?
2. What are the three kinds of floats that take part in the processions?
3. How did there come to be an Islamic culture in Spain?
4. Why does Michener feel that Toledo reveals the essence of Spanish history?
5. What does Michener learn from the villagers about the young men?
6. Why did Michener want to go to Badajoz?
7. Who were the Goths and the Visigoths?
8. What is the major wildlife preserve in Las Marimas?
9. What is a confraternity?
10. Why does Michener consider the side trip to Merida to be a necessity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sports are a major part of life in Spain. What are the popular sports that Michener mentioned? What is the nature of and the problem with corruption in bullfighting? In what way does this deceive the public?
Essay Topic 2
There is a strong separatism movement in Spain in Catalonia, especially in the Basque region. Explain what separatism is. What is it that the Catalan separatists want? What are the effects of separatism?
Essay Topic 3
What is Pamplona known for? Why do people come from all over the world to take part? What is a corrida? Explain.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)