|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before leaving Valencia, who does the American meet?
2. The book opens with a freighter traveling to Spain from:
3. Where else had the American traveled as he did in Spain?
4. What does Michener learn of the young men of the village in Extremadura?
5. Which of the following does not come from the Las Marismas area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the American find when he travels to Teruel by train?
2. What was the Spanish Civil War?
3. What was the attraction of Medinat az-Zahra?
4. Why does the author compare Spain to Italy?
5. Who was Seneca, one of the four men whose birthplace Michener wanted to see?
6. What is the topography of Las Marismas?
7. What is the major wildlife preserve in Las Marimas?
8. What is significant about the cathedral of Toledo?
9. What does Michener conclude about the women of Badajoz?
10. What is a confraternity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the Spanish Inquisition? Why did it take place? Explain the workings of the investigations and the disposition of those investigated.
Essay Topic 2
From what you have read in the book, what is your favorite area of Spain? Why? Explain some of the things you would want to see and do there if you traveled to that area.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Spanish Civil War. Who was fighting who and why? Why did the war attract volunteers from around the world? What was the Abraham Lincoln Brigade?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)