|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Badajoz is located in a region called:
2. What does Michener learn of the young men of the village in Extremadura?
3. Who sailed from Sanlucar?
4. The festivities preceding Easter are called the:
5. In his Speculations, the American compares Spain to:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the darts with streamers thrown by the woman of the balconies in Castellon?
2. Why does Michener recommend Sevilla as the city to visit if the traveler can only visit one city in Spain?
3. What problems does Michener experience with restaurants when he first arrives in Toledo?
4. How did there come to be an Islamic culture in Spain?
5. What is the topography of Las Marismas?
6. What is a confraternity?
7. What is Michener's reason for going to the Las Marsimas area?
8. What is the city of Sanlucar known for?
9. Why did Michener want to go to Badajoz?
10. What is the purpose of the oranges the freighter is picking up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the Spanish Inquisition? Why did it take place? Explain the workings of the investigations and the disposition of those investigated.
Essay Topic 2
What is the Way of St. James? What is the history associated with it and why is it significant? What is the Day of St. James and where is it celebrated?
Essay Topic 3
There is a great deal of his story contained in Michener's Iberia. Is this a good way to learn history? Do you feel that Michener's presentation makes it more interesting? Why or why not?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)