|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Michener travels to the Gredos mountains to see:
2. What is so impressive about the Toledo cathedral?
3. Michener describes the Toledo cathedral as being:
4. The oranges are to be used for:
5. Where does the freighter stop to pick up oranges?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Michener feel that Toledo reveals the essence of Spanish history?
2. Why did Michener want to go to Badajoz?
3. What does Michener learn from the villagers about the young men?
4. What does Michener learn about the social activities of the average man?
5. What is Michener's reason for going to the Las Marsimas area?
6. What is the city of Sanlucar known for?
7. How does the American end up attending a bullfight in Valencia?
8. What is the major wildlife preserve in Las Marimas?
9. Who were the Goths and the Visigoths?
10. What problems does Michener experience with restaurants when he first arrives in Toledo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the Spanish Inquisition? Why did it take place? Explain the workings of the investigations and the disposition of those investigated.
Essay Topic 2
What is the story behind the Lovers of Teruel? Is it a true story? What can be seen at the tomb? Why does it help to know the history of a place such as the tomb of the Lovers of Teruel?
Essay Topic 3
There is a strong separatism movement in Spain in Catalonia, especially in the Basque region. Explain what separatism is. What is it that the Catalan separatists want? What are the effects of separatism?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)