|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Grenada, Michener visited the:
2. Where else had the American traveled as he did in Spain?
3. The Great Mosque at Medinat az-Zahra had been converted into a:
4. The bright orange on the tree trunks indicates that the trunks were:
5. In what year did the Christians expel the Moors from Cordoba?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Cisneros?
2. What is the topography of Las Marismas?
3. What is the city of Sanlucar known for?
4. What is the major wildlife preserve in Las Marimas?
5. Was the author impressed with his first visit to Spain?
6. Why does Michener recommend Sevilla as the city to visit if the traveler can only visit one city in Spain?
7. What does Michener learn from the villagers about the young men?
8. How did there come to be an Islamic culture in Spain?
9. Why did Michener want to go to Badajoz?
10. What is the Alhambra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sports are a major part of life in Spain. What are the popular sports that Michener mentioned? What is the nature of and the problem with corruption in bullfighting? In what way does this deceive the public?
Essay Topic 2
The Catholic Church has always played a strong role in Spain. Discuss this role. Do the people accept the role of the church? Why or why not? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Spanish Civil War. Who was fighting who and why? Why did the war attract volunteers from around the world? What was the Abraham Lincoln Brigade?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)