|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the American's impressions of his first bullfight?
2. Which of the following does not come from the Las Marismas area?
3. In Grenada, Michener visited the:
4. Michener travels to Las Marismas to visit:
5. The participants from each parish are referred to as a:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a confraternity?
2. What is Michener's reason for going to the Las Marsimas area?
3. Why does the author compare Spain to Italy?
4. Why does Michener feel that Toledo reveals the essence of Spanish history?
5. What is the purpose of the oranges the freighter is picking up?
6. What does Michener learn from the villagers about the young men?
7. What is the Alhambra?
8. Was the author impressed with his first visit to Spain?
9. What are the three kinds of floats that take part in the processions?
10. Why does Michener recommend travelers visit Sevilla during the weeks preceding Easter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Michener's purpose for writing the book? Why did he avoid the opinions of travelers who had visited Spain? Do you think this was wise? Do you think that Michener accomplished his objective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the story behind the Lovers of Teruel? Is it a true story? What can be seen at the tomb? Why does it help to know the history of a place such as the tomb of the Lovers of Teruel?
Essay Topic 3
There is a strong separatism movement in Spain in Catalonia, especially in the Basque region. Explain what separatism is. What is it that the Catalan separatists want? What are the effects of separatism?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)