|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michener recommend travelers do before visiting Spain?
2. The author describes Spain as:
3. In his Speculations, the American compares Spain to:
4. Badajoz is located in a region called:
5. Sevilla is described as:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Michener consider the side trip to Merida to be a necessity?
2. What is the Alhambra?
3. Why does Michener feel that Toledo reveals the essence of Spanish history?
4. What is the topography of Las Marismas?
5. Was the author impressed with his first visit to Spain?
6. What was the attraction of Medinat az-Zahra?
7. What is the major wildlife preserve in Las Marimas?
8. Who was Seneca, one of the four men whose birthplace Michener wanted to see?
9. Why is Michener's wife excited about visiting Barcelona?
10. What does Michener conclude about the women of Badajoz?
Essay Topic 1
When Michener travels in the Extremadura, what does he find out about the young men? Why do they return if they go to Germany? In what other countries do you think this phenomena occurs?
Essay Topic 2
The Catholic Church has always played a strong role in Spain. Discuss this role. Do the people accept the role of the church? Why or why not? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is Pamplona known for? Why do people come from all over the world to take part? What is a corrida? Explain.
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)