|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Michener travels to the Gredos mountains to see:
2. The parishes have:
3. Michener recommends that travelers visit Sevilla:
4. What does Michener learn of the young men of the village in Extremadura?
5. Where else had the American traveled as he did in Spain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Michener feel that Toledo reveals the essence of Spanish history?
2. What is the purpose of the darts with streamers thrown by the woman of the balconies in Castellon?
3. What does Michener learn about the social activities of the average man?
4. What was the attraction of Medinat az-Zahra?
5. What is significant about the cathedral of Toledo?
6. What is the purpose of the oranges the freighter is picking up?
7. Who was Seneca, one of the four men whose birthplace Michener wanted to see?
8. Why does the author compare Spain to Italy?
9. Was the author impressed with his first visit to Spain?
10. Why does Michener recommend Sevilla as the city to visit if the traveler can only visit one city in Spain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does the word Iberia come from? What areas are usually included in the term Iberia? What does the Rio Ebro have to do with the term Iberia?
Essay Topic 2
What is the story behind the Lovers of Teruel? Is it a true story? What can be seen at the tomb? Why does it help to know the history of a place such as the tomb of the Lovers of Teruel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the Way of St. James? What is the history associated with it and why is it significant? What is the Day of St. James and where is it celebrated?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)