|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Mozarabes:
2. Which of the following does not come from the Las Marismas area?
3. The average man in Badajoz is:
4. Hosius was a great:
5. What is the Alcazar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Michener recommend Sevilla as the city to visit if the traveler can only visit one city in Spain?
2. Why did Michener want to see Cordoba and Grenada?
3. What was the attraction of Medinat az-Zahra?
4. What was the Spanish Civil War?
5. Who was Maimonides, another of the great men whose birthplace Michener wanted to see?
6. Was the author impressed with his first visit to Spain?
7. What does Michener learn from the villagers about the young men?
8. What is the Alhambra?
9. What is the major wildlife preserve in Las Marimas?
10. What is the purpose of the oranges the freighter is picking up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Michener's purpose for writing the book? Why did he avoid the opinions of travelers who had visited Spain? Do you think this was wise? Do you think that Michener accomplished his objective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Catholic Church has always played a strong role in Spain. Discuss this role. Do the people accept the role of the church? Why or why not? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is Pamplona known for? Why do people come from all over the world to take part? What is a corrida? Explain.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)