|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the bull fight, the American went to:
2. In what way did the American travel to Teruel?
3. In the Toledo cathedral, there is a memorial to:
4. The Concha y Sierra:
5. What words does Michener find on all of the churches in Spain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Michener learn about the social activities of the average man?
2. Why did Michener want to see Cordoba and Grenada?
3. Why does Michener recommend travelers visit Sevilla during the weeks preceding Easter?
4. Who was Maimonides, another of the great men whose birthplace Michener wanted to see?
5. What is the major wildlife preserve in Las Marimas?
6. What does Michener conclude about the women of Badajoz?
7. How did there come to be an Islamic culture in Spain?
8. Why does Michener consider the side trip to Merida to be a necessity?
9. Why does Michener recommend Sevilla as the city to visit if the traveler can only visit one city in Spain?
10. Who was Cisneros?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Way of St. James? What is the history associated with it and why is it significant? What is the Day of St. James and where is it celebrated?
Essay Topic 2
Sports are a major part of life in Spain. What are the popular sports that Michener mentioned? What is the nature of and the problem with corruption in bullfighting? In what way does this deceive the public?
Essay Topic 3
MIchener makes a point of studying a country before he travels. What is the value of this approach? Would you spend the time researching a foreign country before visiting? Why or why not? What do you lose by not doing so?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)