|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To appreciate Toledo, one must:
2. Who is not one of the noble panopoly of four kings?
3. Who is not one of the artists who works are in the Toledo cathedral?
4. After church on Palm Sunday, participants don:
5. The festivities preceding Easter are called the:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the oranges the freighter is picking up?
2. What does Michener learn about the social activities of the average man?
3. What is a confraternity?
4. Who was Cisneros?
5. What is the purpose of the darts with streamers thrown by the woman of the balconies in Castellon?
6. How did there come to be an Islamic culture in Spain?
7. How does the American end up attending a bullfight in Valencia?
8. Why does Michener recommend travelers visit Sevilla during the weeks preceding Easter?
9. What problems does Michener experience with restaurants when he first arrives in Toledo?
10. What does Michener conclude about the women of Badajoz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michener describes himself as a tourist in Spain and says that the experiences he had in Spain are available to any intelligent traveler. Do you agree with him? What is required to have the experience that Michener had? Do you think the fact that he is a famous writer helps?
Essay Topic 2
There is a strong separatism movement in Spain in Catalonia, especially in the Basque region. Explain what separatism is. What is it that the Catalan separatists want? What are the effects of separatism?
Essay Topic 3
What was Michener's purpose for writing the book? Why did he avoid the opinions of travelers who had visited Spain? Do you think this was wise? Do you think that Michener accomplished his objective? Why or why not?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)