|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is not one of the noble panopoly of four kings?
2. What kind of candy is a Spanish delicacy?
3. Which city does Michener feel reveals the essence of Spanish history?
4. What is the focal point of socialization for businessmen in Spain?
5. What was the American's impressions of his first bullfight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was the author impressed with his first visit to Spain?
2. Why was Teruel of personal interest to Michener?
3. Who was Maimonides, another of the great men whose birthplace Michener wanted to see?
4. Why did Michener want to go to Badajoz?
5. How did there come to be an Islamic culture in Spain?
6. What is a tapas bar?
7. What is significant about the cathedral of Toledo?
8. What is Michener's reason for going to the Las Marsimas area?
9. Who was Cisneros?
10. How had the small town of Teruel become significant in the Spanish Civil War?
Essay Topic 1
What is Pamplona known for? Why do people come from all over the world to take part? What is a corrida? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the Way of St. James? What is the history associated with it and why is it significant? What is the Day of St. James and where is it celebrated?
Essay Topic 3
What was Michener's purpose for writing the book? Why did he avoid the opinions of travelers who had visited Spain? Do you think this was wise? Do you think that Michener accomplished his objective? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)