Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is not one of the noble panopoly of four kings?
2. What kind of candy is a Spanish delicacy?
3. Which city does Michener feel reveals the essence of Spanish history?
4. What is the focal point of socialization for businessmen in Spain?
5. What was the American's impressions of his first bullfight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was the author impressed with his first visit to Spain?
2. Why was Teruel of personal interest to Michener?
3. Who was Maimonides, another of the great men whose birthplace Michener wanted to see?
4. Why did Michener want to go to Badajoz?
5. How did there come to be an Islamic culture in Spain?
6. What is a tapas bar?
7. What is significant about the cathedral of Toledo?
8. What is Michener's reason for going to the Las Marsimas area?
9. Who was Cisneros?
10. How had the small town of Teruel become significant in the Spanish Civil War?
Essay Topic 1
What is the story behind the Lovers of Teruel? Is it a true story? What can be seen at the tomb? Why does it help to know the history of a place such as the tomb of the Lovers of Teruel?
Essay Topic 2
What was Michener's purpose for writing the book? Why did he avoid the opinions of travelers who had visited Spain? Do you think this was wise? Do you think that Michener accomplished his objective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
From what you have read in the book, what is your favorite area of Spain? Why? Explain some of the things you would want to see and do there if you traveled to that area.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)