|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Spanish Civil War began in:
2. What caused the decline of the University of Salamanca?
(a) it was closed by Isabel
(b) lack of qualified teachers
(c) lack of students
(d) it became basically a finishing school for the nobility
3. In Spain:
(a) betting is illegal
(b) betting pools are popular on soccer
(c) people prefer baseball to soccer
(d) there is no betting because of the church
4. From whom does Michener learn the history of Castielfabib?
(a) a tour guide
(b) the mayor
(c) the innkeeper's family
(d) a priest
5. The bulls run each day for:
(a) one day
(b) five days
(c) seven days
(d) ten days
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a famous wine of the region?
2. Teruel had been the site of:
3. The bulls that give the best fight are from:
4. According to tradition, the Apostle James:
5. Sets of robes for the Virgin of Guadeloupe are all but the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Michener think of his experience in Castielfabib?
2. What kind of corruption takes place in bullfighting?
3. Why was Teruel of personal interest to Michener?
4. When Michener discusses the changes that have taken place in Madrid since his first visit, to what does he attribute the changed mores of women?
5. What is the Way of St. James?
6. What does Michener say that Arevalo is renowned for?
7. How does a Spaniard defend bullfighting when Americans call it barbaric?
8. What is the Black Legend?
9. What is a tapas bar?
10. Why was Michener happy to make the pilgrimage to Compostella when he has made it before?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)