|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness plagued many members of Spanish royalty?
(b) birth defects
2. The site of the picnic at Roncesvalles is a significant site:
(a) of a Great Mosque
(b) in Franco's war against the Republicans
(c) in the Greek invasion of Spain
(d) in the Christians' fight against Islam
3. When Michener meets Don Luis in Madrid, they discuss:
(c) jai alai
(d) Spain after Franco's death
4. The bulls that give the best fight are from:
(c) the south of Spain
5. Benjamin of Tudela did all but the following:
(a) researched Jews in different areas
(b) compiled a list of all known Jews in the area
(c) traveled widely
(d) was beheaded by the king
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the major feast in Santiago de Compostella?
2. How long did the battle for Teruel last?
3. Michener travels to El Escorial to:
4. What does Michener learn of the publishing business in Spain?
5. Michener claims to have seen how many bullfights?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Michener discusses the changes that have taken place in Madrid since his first visit, to what does he attribute the changed mores of women?
2. In Madrid, Michener meets Don Luis, whom he first met at Las Marimas. What do the two men talk about?
3. What is the Black Legend?
4. What is the sardona?
5. How do the Spanish acquire apartments in the seacoast areas?
6. Why is there antagonism between Barcelona and Madrid?
7. What does Michener say that Arevalo is renowned for?
8. What kind of corruption takes place in bullfighting?
9. How does a Spaniard defend bullfighting when Americans call it barbaric?
10. Why was Teruel of personal interest to Michener?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)