|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The wealthiest shrine in Christendom is at:
2. Michener had first been to Madrid in:
3. What caused the decline of the University of Salamanca?
(a) lack of qualified teachers
(b) it became basically a finishing school for the nobility
(c) it was closed by Isabel
(d) lack of students
4. Entremeses are:
(a) a selection of different foods served in saucers
(b) a hotel in Teruel
(c) an area in the mountains
(d) a monastery
5. The Rastro is a:
(a) shopping area
6. In terms of publishing, what sells well?
(c) political books on Franco
7. Which Spanish city had the most personal meaning for Michener?
8. The river of Tudela, the Rio Ebro was:
(a) sailed by Magellan
(b) a major thoroughfare
(c) known as the Iberes in ancient times
(d) sailed by Columbus
9. A complete bull fight consists of how many bulls?
10. Modern Spain at the time is concerned with the:
(a) separation of church and state
(b) Gibraltar question
(c) governemnt of Spain after Franco
11. Which of the following was not true of Gibraltar:
(a) Spain wanted self-government in Gibraltar
(b) the Spanish wanted continued English rule
(c) Gibraltar is called El Penon
(d) Gibraltar voted to remain under British control
12. The highlight of the feast of San Fermin is the:
(a) blessing of new priests
(b) speech by the President
(c) running of the bulls
13. In Spain:
(a) betting pools are popular on soccer
(b) people prefer baseball to soccer
(c) there is no betting because of the church
(d) betting is illegal
14. The architecture of Northern Spain is:
15. According to Michener, the men from Andalucia who migrate to Barcelona stay there because:
(a) they have hope
(b) they find a better life
(c) they find good jobs
(d) better living conditions
Short Answer Questions
1. This pilgrimage across Spain is known as:
2. While walking around Teruel, Michener found:
3. What did Michener discover had occurred along the Mediterranean sea coast since his last visit three years earlier?
4. Sets of robes for the Virgin of Guadeloupe are all but the following?
5. While traveling from town to town, Michener is tracing the history of:
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)