|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused the decline of the University of Salamanca?
(a) it was closed by Isabel
(b) lack of students
(c) it became basically a finishing school for the nobility
(d) lack of qualified teachers
2. In Spain:
(a) people prefer baseball to soccer
(b) there is no betting because of the church
(c) betting is illegal
(d) betting pools are popular on soccer
3. While traveling from town to town, Michener is tracing the history of:
(d) Juan Carlos
4. The Day of St. James begins with a midnight:
(a) fireworks display
(b) procession with a statue of St. James
(c) procession with a statue of the Virgin
5. Michener had first been to Madrid in:
6. Which of the following is not one of Michener's reasons for going to the Pamploma region?
(a) to study the cathedral of Pamplona
(b) to see Tudela
(c) to interview Ernest Hemingway
(d) to picnic in the Pass of Roncasvalles
7. Sets of robes for the Virgin of Guadeloupe are all but the following?
(b) embellished with precious jewels
(c) from various parts of the world
(d) made of stone
8. Modern Spain at the time is concerned with the:
(a) separation of church and state
(b) Gibraltar question
(c) governemnt of Spain after Franco
9. Michener describes the journey across northern Spain to Santiago de Compostella as:
(d) the finest in Spain and one of the three best in the world
10. How long did the battle for Teruel last?
(a) 69 days
(b) three weeks
(c) six months
(d) two weeks
11. What is the major feast in Santiago de Compostella?
(a) the Feast of the Templars
(b) the Day of the Virgin
(c) the Day of St. James
(d) the Feast of Guadaloupe
12. Michener admits that regarding bullfighting:
(a) he has only been to one bull fight
(b) he is a big fan
(c) he prefers soccer
(d) he doesn't like the activity
13. The saint worshiped at Avila is:
14. The bulls run a distance of:
(a) seventeen hundred yards
(b) one mile
(c) one and one half miles
(d) nine nundred yards
15. What does Michener learn of the publishing business in Spain?
(a) neither books nor magazines sell well
(b) books sell well
(c) both books and magazines sell well
(d) magazines sell well
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michener say of Portugal?
2. Who walks into the Bar Txoco when Michener is there?
3. Michener had first visited Teruel:
4. When Michener meets Don Luis in Madrid, they discuss:
5. The wealthiest shrine in Christendom is at:
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)