|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused the decline of the University of Salamanca?
(a) lack of students
(b) it was closed by Isabel
(c) lack of qualified teachers
(d) it became basically a finishing school for the nobility
2. Pamplona is preparing for the yearly feast of:
(a) Juan Carlos
(c) San Fermin
(d) Santa Teresa
3. In a concurso:
(a) spectators are allowed to fight the bull
(b) a team of matadors fights the bull
(c) the bravest bull is awarded a prize by a panel of judges
(d) the winning matador receives a plaq2ue
4. What did Isabel do as she moved from place to place?
(a) established herself as regent
(b) demanded tax money
(c) carried the remains of her husband with her
(d) bore illigitimate children
5. The Day of St. James begins with a midnight:
(b) procession with a statue of the Virgin
(c) procession with a statue of St. James
(d) fireworks display
6. What does Michener learn of the publishing business in Spain?
(a) magazines sell well
(b) books sell well
(c) neither books nor magazines sell well
(d) both books and magazines sell well
7. According to Michener, the men from Andalucia who migrate to Barcelona stay there because:
(a) they have hope
(b) they find good jobs
(c) better living conditions
(d) they find a better life
8. Michener describes the journey across northern Spain to Santiago de Compostella as:
(d) the finest in Spain and one of the three best in the world
9. What form of entertainment did the Micheners enjoy so much in Barcelona?
(c) going to bars
10. How long did the battle for Teruel last?
(a) 69 days
(b) six months
(c) three weeks
(d) two weeks
11. Entremeses are:
(a) a hotel in Teruel
(b) an area in the mountains
(c) a selection of different foods served in saucers
(d) a monastery
12. Michener had first visited Teruel:
(a) 34 years earlier
(b) during World War II
(c) three years earlier
(d) in 1939
13. What is the major feast in Santiago de Compostella?
(a) the Day of St. James
(b) the Day of the Virgin
(c) the Feast of the Templars
(d) the Feast of Guadaloupe
14. Which Spanish city had the most personal meaning for Michener?
15. Teruel had been the site of:
(a) the end of the Spanish Civil War
(b) a big festival
(c) a major battle in the Spanish Civil War
(d) a major strike
Short Answer Questions
1. The site of the picnic at Roncesvalles is a significant site:
2. The Prado is a famous:
3. What does Michener say of Portugal?
4. Along the route is the shrine to:
5. The onset of the running of the bulls is signaled by:
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)