|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Alcazar?
(a) a palace
(b) the central square
(c) a huge fortress in Toledo
(d) the main shipping area
2. The participants from each parish are referred to as a:
3. What problem did Michener find at the second restaurant?
(a) the food was bad
(b) he didn't ask for the tourist menu
(c) he couldn't speak the language
(d) it was too expensive
4. Michener travels to the Gredos mountains to see:
(a) a memorial to Franco
(b) A World War II battle site
(c) a gallery of El Grecos
(d) the memorial to Carlos
5. Las Marismas is:
(a) a rich agricultural area
(b) a wealthy part of the country
(c) in the high country
(d) a swamp land
6. The author describes Spain as:
(a) the same as other countries
(b) a very special country
(d) a place he would never visit again
7. How many parts are there to the festivities preceding Easter?
8. Las Marismas is located:
(a) near Madrid
(b) on the Costa del Sol
(c) on the Guadalquivir in the sourth of Spain
(d) in the Basque region
9. What does Michener learn of the young men of the village in Extremadura?
(a) they leave for Germany or Barcelona and send home money
(b) they work hard on their peasant plots
(c) they work for their fathers
(d) they work as merchants in the town
10. Michener journeys to Medinat az-Zahra to visit a:
11. Where does the freighter stop to pick up oranges?
12. Who runs the hospitals in Spain?
(a) they are paid for with tax dollars
(b) the government
(c) the church
(d) various organizations
13. Each parish church is represented by:
(a) the pastor
(b) a pennant
(c) a sign with the name
(d) its own colors
14. The Concha y Sierra:
(a) provides the best bulls in bull fighting
(b) is a dude ranch
(c) is a large resort hotel
(d) is a museum
15. Michener describes the Toledo cathedral as being:
(a) so beautiful that its variety could never be exhausted
Short Answer Questions
1. The bright orange on the tree trunks indicates that the trunks were:
2. The festivities preceding Easter are called the:
3. Michener's first impressions of Toledo was that it was:
4. What part of Cordoba does Michener describe as enchanting?
5. Many Spanish heroes who came to America were from:
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)