• The book opens with a freighter journey to Spain to pick up oranges to take to Dundee to make marmalade. It was the first trip to Spain for the American.
• The American attends a festival in Barriana, traveled to Castellon by train and then to Teruel. He met the ship in Valencia, but attended several bullfights first.
• There is a series of paragraphs called Speculations in which the American asks various questions about Spain. He describes Spain as a special place.
• The hot bus is heading for Badajoz with the driver explaining the different trees to the passenger who is the American who had visited Spain on the freighter as a student. The American plans to spend a month in Badajoz.
• The American walks around talking to people and goes to the local pub to learn of an average day in the life of a Spanish...
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)