|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first memory Adam has of the situation with his parents and the secret?
2. Adam's mom is afraid of the things that could happen, also known as the _______________.
3. What did Adam say happened to him on his bike, instead of telling the man the truth?
4. Who makes up the annual report that is being described in this final section of the book?
5. Brint suggests that the day may come when he will not be there for Adam to __________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The interrogation scenes are a strong and powerful source of details in the story. At the same time, they can be frustrating for the reader.
Part 1: Why do you think the author chose to use interrogation scenes in this book?
Part 2: Do you think the interrogation scenes were necessary to include in this book? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the flashbacks were used in the book? Would it have been more effective to tell the story from start to finish instead? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At various points of the story, it seems like a very weak person is pitted against someone very powerful - an uneven match-up.
Part 1: Do you think the Farmer/Delmonte family is helpless in their situation? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think the Witness Protection Program is effective? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the 'weaker' people in this story actually 'won' in the long term? (The secret doesn't seem to have gotten out.)
Essay Topic 3
The conversations with Dr. Brint at times seem harsh and yet eventually Adam does seem to remember more and reveal more.
Part 1: Why do you think Dr. Brint is so keen on finding out what Adam knows about his life?
Part 2: Why do you think Adam trusts Dr. Brint enough to continue talking with him?
Part 3: What are some ideas as to who Dr. Brint really is? Is he a good guy or a bad guy? Why?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)