|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had called with an emergency when Adam came home from the incomplete Number game?
2. What route does Adam want to take when he is taking this new journey?
3. What does Adam see as he pedals around the corner when he arrives at Rutterburg?
4. __________ is very sorry for placing Adam and his mother in a difficult situation.
5. How much money does Adam offer the fat man for help with his bike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The conversations with Dr. Brint at times seem harsh and yet eventually Adam does seem to remember more and reveal more.
Part 1: Why do you think Dr. Brint is so keen on finding out what Adam knows about his life?
Part 2: Why do you think Adam trusts Dr. Brint enough to continue talking with him?
Part 3: What are some ideas as to who Dr. Brint really is? Is he a good guy or a bad guy? Why?
Essay Topic 2
At various points of the story, it seems like a very weak person is pitted against someone very powerful - an uneven match-up.
Part 1: Do you think the Farmer/Delmonte family is helpless in their situation? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think the Witness Protection Program is effective? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the 'weaker' people in this story actually 'won' in the long term? (The secret doesn't seem to have gotten out.)
Essay Topic 3
Adam seems to have a special relationship with Amy Hertz, though he is unable to talk to her during his journey.
Part 1: Why do you think Amy cared for Adam so much during his recollection of their times together?
Part 2: Why is Amy the only person who can calm Adam down when he is frightened?
Part 3: Do you think Amy is a real person or not? Support your answer with proof from the story.
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)