|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the bike that Adam is looking to find and to retrieve as his own?
2. Adam's mom is afraid of the things that could happen, also known as the _______________.
3. What does the boy do to his mother, which makes Adam angry at the boy?
4. What did Adam take in order to get rid of his headache that has come upon him?
5. In what city does Adam plan to spend the night during his continuing bike journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The interrogation scenes are a strong and powerful source of details in the story. At the same time, they can be frustrating for the reader.
Part 1: Why do you think the author chose to use interrogation scenes in this book?
Part 2: Do you think the interrogation scenes were necessary to include in this book? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the flashbacks were used in the book? Would it have been more effective to tell the story from start to finish instead? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While Adam seems to be a slightly older boy in the story, it also seems he has a lot of connection to his childhood.
Part 1: In what ways is Adam still like a child in the book?
Part 2: Why do you think Adam chooses to sing "Farmer in the Dell" so many times?
Part 3: Do you think Adam is a mature person or an immature person? Why?
Essay Topic 3
At several points during the novel, Adam talks about becoming a writer when he grows up.
Part 1: Why do you think Adam wants to be a writer when he grows up?
Part 2: Do you think Adam would be a good writer or a good journalist? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does this say about Adam's feelings toward his father than he too wants to be a writer?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)