|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Adam talks about the day they left because of the emergency: "It was like _______________ in the beginning."
2. In the box in the cellar were mementos from the family's past, including an old hat and an Army _______ of Adam's father's.
3. Brint tells Adam the sessions and the ___________ are helping him to progress more.
4. How long did Adam's father spend in giving testimony before the Senate Committee?
5. Where is Adam lying when the car comes by to try to help him out as he is on his bike journey?
Essay Topic 1
Though Adam may not be growing up in the story itself, the story and his memories reveal the course of his life.
Part 1: Why do you think so many Young Adult books focus on coming of age issues?
Part 2: How do you think Adam grows up from the beginning of the book to the end of the book? Or doesn't he?
Part 3: In what ways does Adam come of age in this book? Describe some specific moments which point to Adam growing up.
Essay Topic 2
At many points of Adam's journey, he seems to have physical symptoms which make the journey difficult, yet he copes.
Part 1: Why do you think Adam continues to feel unwell as his bike ride continues?
Part 2: Do you think Adam is a strong person or a weak person, based on the physical ailments he continues to have?
Part 3: Adam somehow copes with all of his physical symptoms, which shows his resourcefulness. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In a very real sense, Adam loses everything in this story - his identity, his mind, and his family.
Part 1: Do you think Adam had any chance of being a normal kid with a normal upbringing? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think Adam's parents made the right decision to go into witness protection? Why or why not?
Part 3: How else might Adam's parents have dealt with the situation in order to keep Adam's life normal and stable?
This section contains 1,742 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)