|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had called with an emergency when Adam came home from the incomplete Number game?
2. Adam's arm hurts from the _______ used on him at the hospital during his withdrawal period.
3. Brint suggests that the ________ represents the key to his memories, which causes Adam to retreat so completely from the interrogation.
4. __________ is very sorry for placing Adam and his mother in a difficult situation.
5. What is Whipper always trying to take away from Adam as he is biking around?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The question of identity is one that continues to be asked throughout the story.
Part 1: Do you think that identity can only be defined in one way? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think a person's identity can change? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's healthy to have more than one identity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In a very real sense, Adam loses everything in this story - his identity, his mind, and his family.
Part 1: Do you think Adam had any chance of being a normal kid with a normal upbringing? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think Adam's parents made the right decision to go into witness protection? Why or why not?
Part 3: How else might Adam's parents have dealt with the situation in order to keep Adam's life normal and stable?
Essay Topic 3
Adam is a boy that seems to have just one purpose at the beginning of the book - to go see his father.
Part 1: Why does Adam want to go see his father? What are his reasons for traveling to see his father?
Part 2: Why do you think Adam wants to take his bike instead of another route?
Part 3: Why doesn't Adam call his father and ask him to pick him up instead of traveling to see his father?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)