Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Adam talks about the day they left because of the emergency: "It was like _______________ in the beginning."
2. In the box in the cellar were mementos from the family's past, including an old hat and an Army _______ of Adam's father's.
3. Brint tells Adam the sessions and the ___________ are helping him to progress more.
4. How long did Adam's father spend in giving testimony before the Senate Committee?
5. Where is Adam lying when the car comes by to try to help him out as he is on his bike journey?
Essay Topic 1
At various points of the story, it seems like a very weak person is pitted against someone very powerful - an uneven match-up.
Part 1: Do you think the Farmer/Delmonte family is helpless in their situation? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think the Witness Protection Program is effective? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the 'weaker' people in this story actually 'won' in the long term? (The secret doesn't seem to have gotten out.)
Essay Topic 2
At several points during the novel, Adam talks about becoming a writer when he grows up.
Part 1: Why do you think Adam wants to be a writer when he grows up?
Part 2: Do you think Adam would be a good writer or a good journalist? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does this say about Adam's feelings toward his father than he too wants to be a writer?
Essay Topic 3
Adam is a boy that seems to have just one purpose at the beginning of the book - to go see his father.
Part 1: Why does Adam want to go see his father? What are his reasons for traveling to see his father?
Part 2: Why do you think Adam wants to take his bike instead of another route?
Part 3: Why doesn't Adam call his father and ask him to pick him up instead of traveling to see his father?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)