|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so special about the room in the cellar where Adam's father and Mr. Grey would talk?
2. Who was the relative that Adam uncovered, though he'd been told he had no living relatives?
3. What does Whipper say when Adam finally returns to the hospital? "Well, what do you know - the __________ back."
4. Adam talks about the day they left because of the emergency: "It was like _______________ in the beginning."
5. Brint tells Adam he must face ____________ or else everything will come to a halt.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The question of identity is one that continues to be asked throughout the story.
Part 1: Do you think that identity can only be defined in one way? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think a person's identity can change? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's healthy to have more than one identity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Paul refers to his medication at various points of the story, pointing to some sort of mental disorder.
Part 1: What kind of medication do you think Paul might be taking?
Part 2: Why doesn't Paul want to take his medication at the start of the story? Does this seem to be a wise decision? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might the story have been different had Paul taken his medication?
Essay Topic 3
Though Adam may not be growing up in the story itself, the story and his memories reveal the course of his life.
Part 1: Why do you think so many Young Adult books focus on coming of age issues?
Part 2: How do you think Adam grows up from the beginning of the book to the end of the book? Or doesn't he?
Part 3: In what ways does Adam come of age in this book? Describe some specific moments which point to Adam growing up.
This section contains 1,740 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)