|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had called with an emergency when Adam came home from the incomplete Number game?
2. How much money does Adam offer the fat man for help with his bike?
3. In the box in the cellar were mementos from the family's past, including an old hat and an Army _______ of Adam's father's.
4. Adam avoided Amy because he was afraid he would tell her __________ and he was sworn to secrecy.
5. Where is Adam lying when the car comes by to try to help him out as he is on his bike journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At many points of Adam's journey, he seems to have physical symptoms which make the journey difficult, yet he copes.
Part 1: Why do you think Adam continues to feel unwell as his bike ride continues?
Part 2: Do you think Adam is a strong person or a weak person, based on the physical ailments he continues to have?
Part 3: Adam somehow copes with all of his physical symptoms, which shows his resourcefulness. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Paul refers to his medication at various points of the story, pointing to some sort of mental disorder.
Part 1: What kind of medication do you think Paul might be taking?
Part 2: Why doesn't Paul want to take his medication at the start of the story? Does this seem to be a wise decision? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might the story have been different had Paul taken his medication?
Essay Topic 3
Adam is a boy that seems to have just one purpose at the beginning of the book - to go see his father.
Part 1: Why does Adam want to go see his father? What are his reasons for traveling to see his father?
Part 2: Why do you think Adam wants to take his bike instead of another route?
Part 3: Why doesn't Adam call his father and ask him to pick him up instead of traveling to see his father?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)