|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Adam is riding a plain bike, like the one ____________ rode as a kid years ago.
2. Where did the grey man and Adam's father used to go when they would have to talk to each other?
3. ___________ was proud of Anthony for doing the right thing even though it meant giving up his career.
4. Adam has been refusing to get out of __________, according to the interrogation transcript.
5. Adam realizes that his mother's sadness was actually __________, not the sadness he thought he saw.
Essay Topic 1
Paul refers to his medication at various points of the story, pointing to some sort of mental disorder.
Part 1: What kind of medication do you think Paul might be taking?
Part 2: Why doesn't Paul want to take his medication at the start of the story? Does this seem to be a wise decision? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might the story have been different had Paul taken his medication?
Essay Topic 2
At various points of the story, it seems like a very weak person is pitted against someone very powerful - an uneven match-up.
Part 1: Do you think the Farmer/Delmonte family is helpless in their situation? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think the Witness Protection Program is effective? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the 'weaker' people in this story actually 'won' in the long term? (The secret doesn't seem to have gotten out.)
Essay Topic 3
Within the song, "The Farmer in the Dell," the line is - the cheese stands alone. And Adam points out that he is the cheese via the title and in the book.
Part 1: Why do you think Adam equates himself with the cheese?
Part 2: What do you think it means that the cheese stands alone in the song?
Part 3: What does the title reveal about Adam and about the story as a whole?
This section contains 1,714 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)