|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in the role of the interrogator at the start of this book's interrogation scenes?
2. What does Adam now feel he has to do in order to get away from those who might harm him?
3. Where was Adam determined to prove that they lived, as his father told him this was the case?
4. Adam believes that this man is the only real __________ he has to the mystery in his mind.
5. The __________ is no longer smooth for Adam, but is full of ruts and of holes.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Adam's arm hurt so much, according to the narrative at the beginning of the section?
2. What does Brint tell Adam when he finds out Adam has been refusing all of things he has been refusing?
3. Where does Adam find his bike as he lurks over to the boy's house where he suspects his bike is?
4. What does the man do when Adam offers him $25 to tell him where his bike has gone?
5. Why were Adam and his parents taking that initial bus ride away from their home?
6. Where did Adam and his family stop when they were out looking for a motel on their adventure?
7. What questions does Adam want Brint to answer for him, though Brint does not answer them?
8. What is Whipper always trying to do to Adam as he rides his bike around the hospital?
9. How did Robert Cormier come up with the idea for his second novel, I AM THE CHEESE?
10. How does Brint challenge Adam when Adam says that he does not believe that Brint is a doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adam seems to be chasing his memories just as much as Dr. Brint is. Adam has no idea who he is at first, so the interrogations allow him to investigate his own life as well.
Part 1: Why do you think Adam has troubles remembering his true name and identity?
Part 2: Do you think Adam wants to remember his old life anymore? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think there's any chance that Adam can be a normal and well-adjusted boy anymore? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In a very real sense, Adam loses everything in this story - his identity, his mind, and his family.
Part 1: Do you think Adam had any chance of being a normal kid with a normal upbringing? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think Adam's parents made the right decision to go into witness protection? Why or why not?
Part 3: How else might Adam's parents have dealt with the situation in order to keep Adam's life normal and stable?
Essay Topic 3
Adam seems to have a special relationship with Amy Hertz, though he is unable to talk to her during his journey.
Part 1: Why do you think Amy cared for Adam so much during his recollection of their times together?
Part 2: Why is Amy the only person who can calm Adam down when he is frightened?
Part 3: Do you think Amy is a real person or not? Support your answer with proof from the story.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)