|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adam think when he thinks of Amy? "I don't ____________ you."
2. How many speeds does the boy's bike have on it, by his own account at the start of the story?
3. What happens to the young man during the interrogation that makes him want to stop the questioning?
4. Brint tells Adam to __________ and let the thoughts from his memory come, but this doesn't work.
5. How many birthdays did Adam Farmer have, according to the information Adam found in his father's desk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Adam been refusing in his location where the interrogations are being done?
2. Why have Adam's suspicions been aroused, according to Brint and their discussions?
3. The mention of the names causes Adam to end the interrogation. What are the names which cause Adam to end the questioning?
4. What does Adam feel like when he awakens from his sleep in the middle of the night?
5. When does Adam's mother get nervous and upset with him during his times with Amy?
6. What does Adam hope when the troublemakers come to hassle Adam on his bike?
7. Though Adam is not responsive to Brint, what is his physical status, according to Brint's notes?
8. What does Adam tell the boys about his bike, which only arouses their curiosity in it and in Adam?
9. How does Brint challenge Adam when Adam says that he does not believe that Brint is a doctor?
10. What does Adam think about Amy and about her position in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adam is a boy that seems to have just one purpose at the beginning of the book - to go see his father.
Part 1: Why does Adam want to go see his father? What are his reasons for traveling to see his father?
Part 2: Why do you think Adam wants to take his bike instead of another route?
Part 3: Why doesn't Adam call his father and ask him to pick him up instead of traveling to see his father?
Essay Topic 2
Adam is trying to bring a package to his father as he goes on the bike ride to his final destination.
Part 1: Why do you think Adam is trying to bring the package to his father when he takes the bike ride?
Part 2: What might Adam's package also symbolize within the story?
Part 3: What other items might have been good to bring to Adam's father? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Though Adam may not be growing up in the story itself, the story and his memories reveal the course of his life.
Part 1: Why do you think so many Young Adult books focus on coming of age issues?
Part 2: How do you think Adam grows up from the beginning of the book to the end of the book? Or doesn't he?
Part 3: In what ways does Adam come of age in this book? Describe some specific moments which point to Adam growing up.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)