|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adam now wish he had used when he was back in Aswell at the rest stop?
2. Who does Adam think is now threatening him after he tries to make the phone call?
3. The name Adam Farmer means __________ to Adam at this point of his life.
4. How many birthdays did Adam Farmer have, according to the information Adam found in his father's desk?
5. When the boy was a child, he was teased for having his stuffed animal - Pokey the ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Adam done with himself during the session noted in tape OZK003?
2. What does Adam realize is the dog's intention for him when he is riding his bike?
3. What was the last Numbers game that Adam and Amy played together?
4. How does Brint challenge Adam when Adam says that he does not believe that Brint is a doctor?
5. What does Brint tell Adam when he finds out Adam has been refusing all of things he has been refusing?
6. What is Amy's reaction to Adam's dream of becoming a writer?
7. Even though Adam has enough money to take a bus to go see his dad, why does he choose to go by bike instead?
8. What is Adam relieved to see about the long, level, and straight road before him when he is on his bike?
9. What does Adam think is the only real clue he has to the mystery that is in his mind?
10. What happens when Adam tries to call Amy from his bike journey in Carver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The question of identity is one that continues to be asked throughout the story.
Part 1: Do you think that identity can only be defined in one way? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think a person's identity can change? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's healthy to have more than one identity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Adam is a boy that seems to have just one purpose at the beginning of the book - to go see his father.
Part 1: Why does Adam want to go see his father? What are his reasons for traveling to see his father?
Part 2: Why do you think Adam wants to take his bike instead of another route?
Part 3: Why doesn't Adam call his father and ask him to pick him up instead of traveling to see his father?
Essay Topic 3
The interrogation scenes are a strong and powerful source of details in the story. At the same time, they can be frustrating for the reader.
Part 1: Why do you think the author chose to use interrogation scenes in this book?
Part 2: Do you think the interrogation scenes were necessary to include in this book? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the flashbacks were used in the book? Would it have been more effective to tell the story from start to finish instead? Why or why not?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)