|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The __________ is no longer smooth for Adam, but is full of ruts and of holes.
2. Where is Adam's friend at the moment, so he cannot call her in order to talk to her?
3. Where was Adam determined to prove that they lived, as his father told him this was the case?
4. What is the name the the old man gives to the hat the boy wears in remembrance of his father?
5. Adam has always wondered what made his mother so ________ whenever he looked at her.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Adam's arm hurt so much, according to the narrative at the beginning of the section?
2. What is the mild threat that Brint gives to Adam when Adam will not respond to him during the interrogation?
3. What does Brint tell Adam when he finds out Adam has been refusing all of things he has been refusing?
4. How did Robert Cormier come up with the idea for his second novel, I AM THE CHEESE?
5. What happens to Adam as the car travels slowly down the road to the city of Hookset?
6. What is the conversation Adam has with himself as the rain begins to pour heavily on his bike journey?
7. Even though Adam has enough money to take a bus to go see his dad, why does he choose to go by bike instead?
8. What does Adam feel like when he awakens from his sleep in the middle of the night?
9. What happens when Adam tries to call Amy from his bike journey in Carver?
10. How did Adam feel about his father and about what he had done to provide testimony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adam is a boy that seems to have just one purpose at the beginning of the book - to go see his father.
Part 1: Why does Adam want to go see his father? What are his reasons for traveling to see his father?
Part 2: Why do you think Adam wants to take his bike instead of another route?
Part 3: Why doesn't Adam call his father and ask him to pick him up instead of traveling to see his father?
Essay Topic 2
At many times, the family seems to try to cling to normalcy in the flashbacks, even though things are far from normal.
Part 1: Why do you think the family continues to try to be normal?
Part 2: Do you think Adam knows on some level that things weren't actually as normal as they appeared? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might be a negative outcome of pretending that all is well when it actually isn't?
Essay Topic 3
At many points of Adam's journey, he seems to have physical symptoms which make the journey difficult, yet he copes.
Part 1: Why do you think Adam continues to feel unwell as his bike ride continues?
Part 2: Do you think Adam is a strong person or a weak person, based on the physical ailments he continues to have?
Part 3: Adam somehow copes with all of his physical symptoms, which shows his resourcefulness. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
This section contains 2,104 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)