|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Adam becomes a sort of __________ in his own home as he tries to find out what is happening.
2. What does Amy talk like in order to make Adam laugh and to keep him from becoming too serious?
3. What is the familiar childhood song the boy sings to himself whenever he needs to be consoled?
4. The boy wants to make the bike trip without any _________, so he puts them in the garbage disposal.
5. Where does Adam go to hide after making his startling discovery in his father's desk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who stops to check on Adam when he is lying on the side of the road after being toppled by the troublemakers?
2. What happened when the Farmer family pulled to the side of the road to pretend they were looking at the countryside?
3. What does Adam feel like when he awakens from his sleep in the middle of the night?
4. What does the old maintenance man always do, according to the narrative?
5. What did Adam's father think was the hardest part about going into the Witness Protection Program?
6. What has failed during the interrogations between Adam and Brint, according to the report?
7. How does Brint challenge Adam when Adam says that he does not believe that Brint is a doctor?
8. Though Adam is not responsive to Brint, what is his physical status, according to Brint's notes?
9. Why did Adam's father go through with providing testimony in Washington DC before a Senate Committee?
10. What is Whipper always trying to do to Adam as he rides his bike around the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1While Adam seems to be a slightly older boy in the story, it also seems he has a lot of connection to his childhood. Part 1: In what ways is Adam still like a child in the book? Part 2: Why do you think Adam chooses to sing "Farmer in the Dell" so many times? Part 3: Do you think Adam is a mature person or an immature person? Why?
Essay Topic 2At many points of Adam's journey, he seems to have physical symptoms which make the journey difficult, yet he copes. Part 1: Why do you think Adam continues to feel unwell as his bike ride continues? Part 2: Do you think Adam is a strong person or a weak person, based on the physical ailments he continues to have? Part 3: Adam somehow copes with all of his physical symptoms, which shows his resourcefulness. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Essay Topic 3The conversations with Dr. Brint at times seem harsh and yet eventually Adam does seem to remember more and reveal more. Part 1: Why do you think Dr. Brint is so keen on finding out what Adam knows about his life? Part 2: Why do you think Adam trusts Dr. Brint enough to continue talking with him? Part 3: What are some ideas as to who Dr. Brint really is? Is he a good guy or a bad guy? Why?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)