|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Adam's friend at the moment, so he cannot call her in order to talk to her?
2. What does Adam begin to sing as he is continuing his journey on his bike?
3. Adam tells Brint that he will give him some __________ as he is telling his story.
4. Adam insists to the person who visits him that he wants to remember the ___________.
5. Adam is afraid that __________ will laugh at him if he reveals any of the concerns he has about his family.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Adam have to pedal furiously when he is on his bike ride?
2. When does Adam's mother get nervous and upset with him during his times with Amy?
3. What does Adam think about Amy and about her position in his life?
4. What does Adam realize is the dog's intention for him when he is riding his bike?
5. Who are the other customers in the restaurant where Adam is sitting and eating clam chowder?
6. What is Adam relieved to see about the long, level, and straight road before him when he is on his bike?
7. What does the man do when Adam offers him $25 to tell him where his bike has gone?
8. Though Adam is not responsive to Brint, what is his physical status, according to Brint's notes?
9. What does the man on the phone tell Adam about what he has been doing all day?
10. Where does Adam find his bike as he lurks over to the boy's house where he suspects his bike is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The interrogation scenes are a strong and powerful source of details in the story. At the same time, they can be frustrating for the reader.
Part 1: Why do you think the author chose to use interrogation scenes in this book?
Part 2: Do you think the interrogation scenes were necessary to include in this book? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the flashbacks were used in the book? Would it have been more effective to tell the story from start to finish instead? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While Adam Farmer is seen to be a bit of a frightened person at times, other times he demonstrates bravery.
Part 1: Why do you think Adam is seen as a frightened person? What is the proof he is fearful?
Part 2: Why do you think Adam could also been seen as a very brave person? Cite your proof.
Part 3: Do you think Adam is a brave person or a frightened person? Or is he a mix of the two?
Essay Topic 3
At various points of the story, it seems like a very weak person is pitted against someone very powerful - an uneven match-up.
Part 1: Do you think the Farmer/Delmonte family is helpless in their situation? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think the Witness Protection Program is effective? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the 'weaker' people in this story actually 'won' in the long term? (The secret doesn't seem to have gotten out.)
This section contains 2,094 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)