|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the boy who begins to harass Adam as he is sitting at the table, talking about his bike?
2. What does Adam focus his attention on finding as he is waiting to call his friend?
3. Adam believes the dog's intention is to topple the bike, send it askew, and have him crash into the road, his _________.
4. Adam admits that he didn't know who Paul was ______________, but doesn't answer when Brint pokes further.
5. Where does Adam go to hide after making his startling discovery in his father's desk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Adam share his secret with Amy during this time after he found out what was happening?
2. What questions does Adam want Brint to answer for him, though Brint does not answer them?
3. Where did Adam and his family stop when they were out looking for a motel on their adventure?
4. What did Adam's father used to tease him about when Adam is just a child?
5. Where does Adam find his bike as he lurks over to the boy's house where he suspects his bike is?
6. What does Adam now see that his mother was afraid of, as be recalls in his interrogations?
7. What is Adam planning to do in the morning when he awakens at the beginning of this section?
8. What did Adam's father think was the hardest part about going into the Witness Protection Program?
9. Why were Adam and his parents taking that initial bus ride away from their home?
10. What does Adam hope when the troublemakers come to hassle Adam on his bike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adam is a boy that seems to have just one purpose at the beginning of the book - to go see his father.
Part 1: Why does Adam want to go see his father? What are his reasons for traveling to see his father?
Part 2: Why do you think Adam wants to take his bike instead of another route?
Part 3: Why doesn't Adam call his father and ask him to pick him up instead of traveling to see his father?
Essay Topic 2
The conversations with Dr. Brint at times seem harsh and yet eventually Adam does seem to remember more and reveal more.
Part 1: Why do you think Dr. Brint is so keen on finding out what Adam knows about his life?
Part 2: Why do you think Adam trusts Dr. Brint enough to continue talking with him?
Part 3: What are some ideas as to who Dr. Brint really is? Is he a good guy or a bad guy? Why?
Essay Topic 3
At various points of the story, it seems like a very weak person is pitted against someone very powerful - an uneven match-up.
Part 1: Do you think the Farmer/Delmonte family is helpless in their situation? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think the Witness Protection Program is effective? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the 'weaker' people in this story actually 'won' in the long term? (The secret doesn't seem to have gotten out.)
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)