|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Adam is discovering that _______ is good and that it can release some of the memories locked up in his head.
2. When the boy was a child, he was teased for having his stuffed animal - Pokey the ________.
3. What do the old man at the rest stop and the boy look at when the boy stops in Aswell on his bike trip?
4. Where does Adam go to hide after making his startling discovery in his father's desk?
5. Where is Adam standing outside of when he is still in Carver on the bike journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the old maintenance man always do, according to the narrative?
2. What questions does Adam want Brint to answer for him, though Brint does not answer them?
3. What does Adam discover about his bike when the section begins and the bike journey continues?
4. What does Brint tell Adam when he finds out Adam has been refusing all of things he has been refusing?
5. What is Adam relieved to see about the long, level, and straight road before him when he is on his bike?
6. What does Adam think about Amy and about her position in his life?
7. Why can't Adam call Amy when he arrives at the Howard Johnson's, even though he does call her anyway?
8. What does the man do when Adam offers him $25 to tell him where his bike has gone?
9. What does the rain do to Adam when he is traveling on his bike on his journey?
10. Where does Adam find his bike as he lurks over to the boy's house where he suspects his bike is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It's fascinating to see an author use a very dark subject in order to tell a story for young adults.
Part 1: Do you think this story is realistic in its content? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think children should be sheltered from dark news and ideas? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think younger readers can benefit from this story? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
The interrogation scenes are a strong and powerful source of details in the story. At the same time, they can be frustrating for the reader.
Part 1: Why do you think the author chose to use interrogation scenes in this book?
Part 2: Do you think the interrogation scenes were necessary to include in this book? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the flashbacks were used in the book? Would it have been more effective to tell the story from start to finish instead? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Adam is trying to bring a package to his father as he goes on the bike ride to his final destination.
Part 1: Why do you think Adam is trying to bring the package to his father when he takes the bike ride?
Part 2: What might Adam's package also symbolize within the story?
Part 3: What other items might have been good to bring to Adam's father? Why?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)