Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Adam standing outside of when he is still in Carver on the bike journey?
2. In what state does Adam think he was born, according to what his birth certificate says and his father told him?
3. What has gotten wet as a result of the weather that starts up?
4. Who does Adam want to talk to in order to calm his nerves?
5. What person does the interrogator ask the boy about when they are sitting down for another interrogation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Adam and his parents taking that initial bus ride away from their home?
2. What is Adam planning to do in the morning when he awakens at the beginning of this section?
3. Why does Adam have to pedal furiously when he is on his bike ride?
4. What is so special about Benton Falls, the place where Adam decides to spend the night as he continues his bike journey?
5. How did Adam feel about his father and about what he had done to provide testimony?
6. What happened when the Farmer family pulled to the side of the road to pretend they were looking at the countryside?
7. What does Adam think is the only real clue he has to the mystery that is in his mind?
8. Why was Adam never suspicious of Mr. Grey when he started to come around his family's house so often?
9. When does Adam's mother get nervous and upset with him during his times with Amy?
10. Where did Adam and his family stop when they were out looking for a motel on their adventure?
Essay Topic 1
At various points of the story, it seems like a very weak person is pitted against someone very powerful - an uneven match-up.
Part 1: Do you think the Farmer/Delmonte family is helpless in their situation? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think the Witness Protection Program is effective? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the 'weaker' people in this story actually 'won' in the long term? (The secret doesn't seem to have gotten out.)
Essay Topic 2
Within the song, "The Farmer in the Dell," the line is - the cheese stands alone. And Adam points out that he is the cheese via the title and in the book.
Part 1: Why do you think Adam equates himself with the cheese?
Part 2: What do you think it means that the cheese stands alone in the song?
Part 3: What does the title reveal about Adam and about the story as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
It's fascinating to see an author use a very dark subject in order to tell a story for young adults.
Part 1: Do you think this story is realistic in its content? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think children should be sheltered from dark news and ideas? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think younger readers can benefit from this story? If so, how? If not, why not?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)