Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Adam standing outside of when he is still in Carver on the bike journey?
2. In what state does Adam think he was born, according to what his birth certificate says and his father told him?
3. What has gotten wet as a result of the weather that starts up?
4. Who does Adam want to talk to in order to calm his nerves?
5. What person does the interrogator ask the boy about when they are sitting down for another interrogation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Adam and his parents taking that initial bus ride away from their home?
2. What is Adam planning to do in the morning when he awakens at the beginning of this section?
3. Why does Adam have to pedal furiously when he is on his bike ride?
4. What is so special about Benton Falls, the place where Adam decides to spend the night as he continues his bike journey?
5. How did Adam feel about his father and about what he had done to provide testimony?
6. What happened when the Farmer family pulled to the side of the road to pretend they were looking at the countryside?
7. What does Adam think is the only real clue he has to the mystery that is in his mind?
8. Why was Adam never suspicious of Mr. Grey when he started to come around his family's house so often?
9. When does Adam's mother get nervous and upset with him during his times with Amy?
10. Where did Adam and his family stop when they were out looking for a motel on their adventure?
The question of identity is one that continues to be asked throughout the story.
Part 1: Do you think that identity can only be defined in one way? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think a person's identity can change? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's healthy to have more than one identity? Why or why not?
In a very real sense, Adam loses everything in this story - his identity, his mind, and his family.
Part 1: Do you think Adam had any chance of being a normal kid with a normal upbringing? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think Adam's parents made the right decision to go into witness protection? Why or why not?
Part 3: How else might Adam's parents have dealt with the situation in order to keep Adam's life normal and stable?
Within the song, "The Farmer in the Dell," the line is - the cheese stands alone. And Adam points out that he is the cheese via the title and in the book.
Part 1: Why do you think Adam equates himself with the cheese?
Part 2: What do you think it means that the cheese stands alone in the song?
Part 3: What does the title reveal about Adam and about the story as a whole?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)