|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adam think when he thinks of Amy? "I don't ____________ you."
2. Where does Adam think about leaving his bike in order to keep it safe and sound?
3. What does Amy talk like in order to make Adam laugh and to keep him from becoming too serious?
4. Adam has always wondered what made his mother so ________ whenever he looked at her.
5. Who comes to Adam's side when he is dealing with his anxiety attack of sorts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adam tell the boys about his bike, which only arouses their curiosity in it and in Adam?
2. What is the condition of the road when Adam continues on his journey from Carver to see his dad?
3. What did Adam's father think was the hardest part about going into the Witness Protection Program?
4. Who are the other customers in the restaurant where Adam is sitting and eating clam chowder?
5. Who stops to check on Adam when he is lying on the side of the road after being toppled by the troublemakers?
6. Why can't Adam call Amy when he arrives at the Howard Johnson's, even though he does call her anyway?
7. What is so special about Benton Falls, the place where Adam decides to spend the night as he continues his bike journey?
8. The mention of the names causes Adam to end the interrogation. What are the names which cause Adam to end the questioning?
9. What is the conversation Adam has with himself as the rain begins to pour heavily on his bike journey?
10. What does the final report have to say about the future of Adam in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Adam Farmer is seen to be a bit of a frightened person at times, other times he demonstrates bravery.
Part 1: Why do you think Adam is seen as a frightened person? What is the proof he is fearful?
Part 2: Why do you think Adam could also been seen as a very brave person? Cite your proof.
Part 3: Do you think Adam is a brave person or a frightened person? Or is he a mix of the two?
Essay Topic 2
At several points during the novel, Adam talks about becoming a writer when he grows up.
Part 1: Why do you think Adam wants to be a writer when he grows up?
Part 2: Do you think Adam would be a good writer or a good journalist? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does this say about Adam's feelings toward his father than he too wants to be a writer?
Essay Topic 3
The question of identity is one that continues to be asked throughout the story.
Part 1: Do you think that identity can only be defined in one way? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think a person's identity can change? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's healthy to have more than one identity? Why or why not?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)