Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Adam standing outside of when he is still in Carver on the bike journey?
2. In what state does Adam think he was born, according to what his birth certificate says and his father told him?
3. What has gotten wet as a result of the weather that starts up?
4. Who does Adam want to talk to in order to calm his nerves?
5. What person does the interrogator ask the boy about when they are sitting down for another interrogation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Adam and his parents taking that initial bus ride away from their home?
2. What is Adam planning to do in the morning when he awakens at the beginning of this section?
3. Why does Adam have to pedal furiously when he is on his bike ride?
4. What is so special about Benton Falls, the place where Adam decides to spend the night as he continues his bike journey?
5. How did Adam feel about his father and about what he had done to provide testimony?
6. What happened when the Farmer family pulled to the side of the road to pretend they were looking at the countryside?
7. What does Adam think is the only real clue he has to the mystery that is in his mind?
8. Why was Adam never suspicious of Mr. Grey when he started to come around his family's house so often?
9. When does Adam's mother get nervous and upset with him during his times with Amy?
10. Where did Adam and his family stop when they were out looking for a motel on their adventure?
Essay Topic 1
The conversations with Dr. Brint at times seem harsh and yet eventually Adam does seem to remember more and reveal more.
Part 1: Why do you think Dr. Brint is so keen on finding out what Adam knows about his life?
Part 2: Why do you think Adam trusts Dr. Brint enough to continue talking with him?
Part 3: What are some ideas as to who Dr. Brint really is? Is he a good guy or a bad guy? Why?
Essay Topic 2
At several points during the novel, Adam talks about becoming a writer when he grows up.
Part 1: Why do you think Adam wants to be a writer when he grows up?
Part 2: Do you think Adam would be a good writer or a good journalist? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does this say about Adam's feelings toward his father than he too wants to be a writer?
Essay Topic 3
Adam seems to have a special relationship with Amy Hertz, though he is unable to talk to her during his journey.
Part 1: Why do you think Amy cared for Adam so much during his recollection of their times together?
Part 2: Why is Amy the only person who can calm Adam down when he is frightened?
Part 3: Do you think Amy is a real person or not? Support your answer with proof from the story.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)