|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Adam enters a phone booth and tries to place a call to ___________ in order to soothe himself.
2. What does Amy talk like in order to make Adam laugh and to keep him from becoming too serious?
3. Adam tells Brint that he will give him some __________ as he is telling his story.
4. What are the other three guys in the restaurant eating as Adam sits alone with his meal?
5. Adam is afraid that __________ will laugh at him if he reveals any of the concerns he has about his family.
Short Essay Questions
1. Though Adam is not responsive to Brint, what is his physical status, according to Brint's notes?
2. What is Adam relieved to see about the long, level, and straight road before him when he is on his bike?
3. What does Adam ask Brint about Paul Delmonte when the name is brought up again?
4. What did Adam's father used to tease him about when Adam is just a child?
5. Why can't Adam call Amy when he arrives at the Howard Johnson's, even though he does call her anyway?
6. What does the old man tell Adam about the world as he stops off during his bike ride journey?
7. What is Amy's reaction to Adam's dream of becoming a writer?
8. Why did Adam's father go through with providing testimony in Washington DC before a Senate Committee?
9. From where does Adam try to call Amy again while he is on his bike journey?
10. What does Brint tell Adam when he finds out Adam has been refusing all of things he has been refusing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The question of identity is one that continues to be asked throughout the story.
Part 1: Do you think that identity can only be defined in one way? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think a person's identity can change? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's healthy to have more than one identity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Adam is trying to bring a package to his father as he goes on the bike ride to his final destination.
Part 1: Why do you think Adam is trying to bring the package to his father when he takes the bike ride?
Part 2: What might Adam's package also symbolize within the story?
Part 3: What other items might have been good to bring to Adam's father? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Though Adam may not be growing up in the story itself, the story and his memories reveal the course of his life.
Part 1: Why do you think so many Young Adult books focus on coming of age issues?
Part 2: How do you think Adam grows up from the beginning of the book to the end of the book? Or doesn't he?
Part 3: In what ways does Adam come of age in this book? Describe some specific moments which point to Adam growing up.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)