|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The boy has enough money in his pocket to travel by _______, but he prefers to travel by bike as it's less confined.
2. The name Adam Farmer means __________ to Adam at this point of his life.
3. Where does Adam think about leaving his bike in order to keep it safe and sound?
4. Adam hears the approach of a ____________ coming up on the road behind him.
5. The young man riding his bike is relieved that there are no _________ in sight when he is biking along.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the man on the phone tell Adam about what he has been doing all day?
2. What is the condition of the road when Adam continues on his journey from Carver to see his dad?
3. What does Adam tell the boys about his bike, which only arouses their curiosity in it and in Adam?
4. Who are the other customers in the restaurant where Adam is sitting and eating clam chowder?
5. What is so special about Benton Falls, the place where Adam decides to spend the night as he continues his bike journey?
6. How did Robert Cormier come up with the idea for his second novel, I AM THE CHEESE?
7. What has failed during the interrogations between Adam and Brint, according to the report?
8. From where does Adam try to call Amy again while he is on his bike journey?
9. What does Adam discover in his father's desk when he steals a key to open up the drawer?
10. What was the last Numbers game that Adam and Amy played together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adam seems to have a special relationship with Amy Hertz, though he is unable to talk to her during his journey.
Part 1: Why do you think Amy cared for Adam so much during his recollection of their times together?
Part 2: Why is Amy the only person who can calm Adam down when he is frightened?
Part 3: Do you think Amy is a real person or not? Support your answer with proof from the story.
Essay Topic 2
While Adam Farmer is seen to be a bit of a frightened person at times, other times he demonstrates bravery.
Part 1: Why do you think Adam is seen as a frightened person? What is the proof he is fearful?
Part 2: Why do you think Adam could also been seen as a very brave person? Cite your proof.
Part 3: Do you think Adam is a brave person or a frightened person? Or is he a mix of the two?
Essay Topic 3
In a very real sense, Adam loses everything in this story - his identity, his mind, and his family.
Part 1: Do you think Adam had any chance of being a normal kid with a normal upbringing? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think Adam's parents made the right decision to go into witness protection? Why or why not?
Part 3: How else might Adam's parents have dealt with the situation in order to keep Adam's life normal and stable?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)