|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Adam enters a phone booth and tries to place a call to ___________ in order to soothe himself.
2. Adam hears the approach of a ____________ coming up on the road behind him.
3. What person does the interrogator ask the boy about when they are sitting down for another interrogation?
4. Where is Adam standing outside of when he is still in Carver on the bike journey?
5. What is the name of the boy who begins to harass Adam as he is sitting at the table, talking about his bike?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adam realize is the dog's intention for him when he is riding his bike?
2. What is so special about Benton Falls, the place where Adam decides to spend the night as he continues his bike journey?
3. What does the man on the phone tell Adam about what he has been doing all day?
4. What does the old maintenance man always do, according to the narrative?
5. What did Adam's father used to tease him about when Adam is just a child?
6. What questions does Adam want Brint to answer for him, though Brint does not answer them?
7. What does the man do when Adam offers him $25 to tell him where his bike has gone?
8. How does Brint challenge Adam when Adam says that he does not believe that Brint is a doctor?
9. What does Adam tell the boys about his bike, which only arouses their curiosity in it and in Adam?
10. How did Robert Cormier come up with the idea for his second novel, I AM THE CHEESE?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At various points of the story, it seems like a very weak person is pitted against someone very powerful - an uneven match-up.
Part 1: Do you think the Farmer/Delmonte family is helpless in their situation? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think the Witness Protection Program is effective? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the 'weaker' people in this story actually 'won' in the long term? (The secret doesn't seem to have gotten out.)
Essay Topic 2
In a very real sense, Adam loses everything in this story - his identity, his mind, and his family.
Part 1: Do you think Adam had any chance of being a normal kid with a normal upbringing? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think Adam's parents made the right decision to go into witness protection? Why or why not?
Part 3: How else might Adam's parents have dealt with the situation in order to keep Adam's life normal and stable?
Essay Topic 3
At many points of Adam's journey, he seems to have physical symptoms which make the journey difficult, yet he copes.
Part 1: Why do you think Adam continues to feel unwell as his bike ride continues?
Part 2: Do you think Adam is a strong person or a weak person, based on the physical ailments he continues to have?
Part 3: Adam somehow copes with all of his physical symptoms, which shows his resourcefulness. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)