|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the school that Martin wants to get into after he receives the results of his O-level exams?
(a) Mutare Institute for Learning.
(b) Zimbabwean Academy.
(c) Sakubva School for the Gifted.
(d) Marist Brother's School.
2. What does Anne do to test the friendliness of the college campuses she visits?
(a) She sends out a survey to Caitlin's high school friends.
(b) She takes the dog, Kava, on a walk across campus.
(c) She researches the internet for "friendliness ratings."
(d) She talks to the Admissions office about orientation programs.
3. What does the student who reminds Martin of himself say before Martin leaves?
(a) Thank you for nothing, you quitter!
(b) If you leave, I will never get an education.
(c) Please do not give up on me.
(d) Thank you for coming and for giving me hope.
4. When Martin gets to the school of his choice, what do other students nickname him?
(a) The over-achiever.
(b) The Rafter-wearer.
(c) The bean-eater.
(d) The Mutare man.
5. What is Anne's reaction to the news that Martin has received a scholarship?
(a) She faints.
(b) She cusses.
(c) She screams.
(d) She jumps up and down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What celebrities does Caitlin's mom contact for help in bringing Martin to America?
2. What does Martin's mom use to stuff the cracks in their walls?
3. What is Martin's score on his first SAT test?
4. What career does Martin decide to pursue?
5. Why does Caitlin drop her woodworking class?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Caitlin and Damon argue about?
2. What effect do the attacks of 9-11 have on Caitlin and her family?
3. What happens to enable Martin to stay at Marist Brother's School? (Chapter 34)
4. What do Alois and Sekai do to help Martin get into Marist Brothers School?
5. Why is Richie not successful at college?
6. Why does Caitlin change her career path during her junior year? (Chapter 37)
7. How does the box with monsoon supplies sent by Caitlin help Martin's family?
8. How does the use of the computer in Mr. Muzawazi's office change Martin's correspondence with Caitlin?
9. How does Martin's first attempt at the SATs affect his scholarship chances?
10. What is it about Damon that Caitlin find attractive?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)