|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Martin's mother not want to tell people that Martin is going to the United States?
(a) Because she is so sad that Martin is leaving the country, she cannot talk.
(b) Because she is afraid talking about it will jinx it.
(c) Because she wants to keep it a secret so neighbors do not know about their good fortune.
(d) Because she is worried Martin will be attacked on the way to the airport.
2. What does the student who reminds Martin of himself say before Martin leaves?
(a) Please do not give up on me.
(b) Thank you for coming and for giving me hope.
(c) If you leave, I will never get an education.
(d) Thank you for nothing, you quitter!
3. What is the economic status of Wallace's parents?
(a) Middle class.
4. What company awards Martin a scholarship?
(a) The American Embassy.
(b) Delta Corporation.
(c) Xerox Company.
(d) American Airlines.
5. What are the results of Martin's O-level exams?
(a) Eight A's and one B+ out of nine tests.
(b) Six A's and 3 B's out of nine tests.
(c) Seven A's and 2 B's out of nine tests.
(d) Nine A's out of nine tests.
6. When Martin gets to the school of his choice, what do other students nickname him?
(a) The Rafter-wearer.
(b) The over-achiever.
(c) The Mutare man.
(d) The bean-eater.
7. How does Damon feel when Caitlin studies with a boy from her English class?
8. What is the name of Anne's alma mater?
(a) Temple .
(b) Gwynedd Mercy.
(d) Penn State.
9. What is the name of Martin's student, the eldest of five girls, who gets up at four every morning and walks to school?
10. What helps raise Martin's cache on campus?
(a) The new black trunk he brings with him.
(b) The grades he receives.
(c) The photographs of Caitlin.
(d) The Reebok shirt he is wearing.
11. Why does Martin change his mind about becoming a doctor?
(a) Because he does not think he will make enough money at being a doctor.
(b) Because he believes that nothing can help the people in Zimbabwe.
(c) Because he is haunted by the people he has seen at the hospital and does not think he has the stomach for medicine.
(d) Because he wants to please his parents and become a chemist instead of a doctor.
12. After Caitlin and Damon fight about her study habits, what grade does Caitlin receive on her psychology test?
13. What drink does Caitlin send in the next package to Martin?
14. Who does Martin go to for help in acquiring the deposit to the school of his choice?
(b) Mr. Samupindi.
15. What celebrities does Caitlin's mom contact for help in bringing Martin to America?
(a) Beyonce, Lady Gaga, and Taylor Swift.
(b) Garth Brooks, Faith Hill, and Tim McGraw.
(c) Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pine, Will Smith.
(d) Oprah, Bill Gates, and Bill Cosby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What school is Richie going to attend on his second attempt at a college education?
2. What is Martin's favorite drink?
3. Why does Caitlin contact the U.S. Embassy in Harare?
4. Where is Wallace going to school?
5. How long has it been since the school Martin is assigned to teach in had a teacher in his field?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)