|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Martin's favorite drink?
(a) Orange juice.
2. What is the name of Martin's student who drops out of school to take care of his mother but who is a very motivated student?
3. What activity do Caitlin and her mom organize to raise money for Martin?
(a) A benefit ball.
(b) A raffle drawing.
(c) A car wash.
(d) A bake sale.
4. When Martin gets to the school of his choice, what do other students nickname him?
(a) The bean-eater.
(b) The Rafter-wearer.
(c) The Mutare man.
(d) The over-achiever.
5. What helps raise Martin's cache on campus?
(a) The photographs of Caitlin.
(b) The Reebok shirt he is wearing.
(c) The new black trunk he brings with him.
(d) The grades he receives.
6. What do Martin and Caitlin eat on Martin's first trip to the mall?
(a) A bag of Kettle Corn.
(b) A Dunkin Donut.
(c) A Cinnabon.
(d) A Milky Way Candy Bar.
7. What words are used by Mr. Muzawazi to describe the state of Zimbabwe when he talks to Anne about finding a sponsor for Martin's college education?
(a) Horrible and humiliating.
(b) Dismal and difficult.
(c) Wretched and wicked.
(d) Sad and somber.
8. Why is Caitlin mad at Wallace's roommate?
(a) Because he does not try to make Wallace feel welcome.
(b) Because he keeps his side of his room messy.
(c) Because he makes fun of Wallace.
(d) Because he eats Wallace's food.
9. What is the nickname of the student Martin meets who is wearing cheap sandals like the ones sold at the market near Martin's home?
10. What drink does Caitlin send in the next package to Martin?
11. How do Martin and Nation transport their mother to the hospital when she is ill?
(a) They support her on both sides and walk her there.
(b) They put her on a ladder and pull her there.
(c) They put her in a wheelbarrow and walk her there.
(d) They call a taxi and drive there.
12. What does the student who reminds Martin of himself say before Martin leaves?
(a) Thank you for nothing, you quitter!
(b) Please do not give up on me.
(c) If you leave, I will never get an education.
(d) Thank you for coming and for giving me hope.
13. Why does Caitlin drop her woodworking class?
(a) Because she would have to wear covered-toe shoes.
(b) Because she does not like getting sawdust on her clothes.
(c) Because she is afraid of the boys in the class.
(d) Because the noise of the machines is too loud.
14. What occupation does Martin first plan to pursue?
(a) A university professor.
(b) A businessman.
(c) A writer.
(d) A medical doctor.
15. Where is Martin's teaching assignment?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martin's mother give him before he leaves for school?
2. What does Martin's mom use to stuff the cracks in their walls?
3. Where does Caitlin's family take Wallace for dinner?
4. Which of these things does Anne NOT purchase for Wallace when he is studying at the American university?
5. What illness does Damon's father have?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)