|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cycle does the text refer to?
2. Where does Abigail throw a fit that Betsey does not?
3. What defines Tituba's love for John Indian?
4. Where does the ship to America end up placing Tituba?
5. A doctor says that Abigail and Betsey are being victimized by whom or what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Tituba forgive the Parris family? Why or why not?
2. What prediction can you make for Tituba based on the Parris family beginning to distrust her?
3. What role does revenge play in Tituba's life?
4. What role does love play in Tituba's religion?
5. Why is Angela Davis a good choice for writing the Forward?
6. Who is Iphigene?
7. What piece of literature is Hester taken from?
8. What role does Christopher play in Tituba's life?
9. How does Tituba feel when her freedom is purchased?
10. How are derogatory words used to describe Tituba significant? Is it appropriate for Conde to include these racial slurs in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the way Conde implements voice in the text. Is Tituba's voice strong and clear? Is Tituba's voice very apparent? How can you tell the difference between Tituba's voice and the author's voice?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the defining role children play in Tituba's life. Consider the miscarriage she has as well as the role Betsey and Abigail play in her life.
Essay Topic 3
How does Tituba's death illuminate mother-daughter relationships?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)