|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Elizabeth finds Tituba's talk about sex to be which of the following?
2. Who tells Tituba that all blacks face misfortune?
3. Who does Tituba want revenge against?
4. What does Tituba decide she wants to be a source of?
5. Why is Abena executed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is a theme in the book 'the ambivalence of love'?
2. What role does spirituality play in Conde's writing?
3. Explain the hypocrisy presented in the juxtaposition between Elizabeth Proctor and the woman who tells Tituba to bake a cake with urine.
4. How does Tituba describe Elizabeth Parris?
5. Why was the group of Maroons bad for Tituba?
6. Why does Tituba reject support from Elizabeth Proctor?
7. How does Tituba tend to feel about other women?
8. What is ironic about revenge in Part 1, Chapters 9 and 10?
9. What is the climax of I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem?
10. Why is Tituba humiliated by her love for John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character is a stronger embodiment of feminist courage - Tituba or Hester?
Essay Topic 2
Tituba sees Parris and is immediately reminded of Satan. Describe the juxtaposition that Conde presents in terms of Tituba's comparison of Parris to Satan.
Essay Topic 3
What makes discrimination a theme in I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem? What literary devices contribute to the theme of discrimination?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)