|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of the bath Tituba gives to Betsey?
2. What seems to play a significant role in Titiuba's life in Boston?
3. Who does Tituba want revenge against?
4. Who warns Tituba about getting revenge?
5. Why is Abena executed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Benjamin want Tituba to stay with him?
2. How does Tituba describe Abigail?
3. What role does Christopher play in Tituba's life?
4. What kind of relationship do Hester and Tituba have?
5. Why is Tituba humiliated by her love for John?
6. What does physical subjugation cause for Tituba?
7. Why is I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem a mock-epic?
8. Why is Angela Davis a good choice for writing the Forward?
9. How is Tituba's story parallel to Hester's story?
10. What does an escapee say the reason is for the Salem Witch Trials?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the way Conde incorporates literature such as Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter and Miller's The Crucible in I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem? How does this incorporation build a stronger novel?
Essay Topic 2
What purpose does the Afterword serve? How does it alter the reader's opinion? Make an argument for why the Afterword is necessary or expendable.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the way Conde implements voice in the text. Is Tituba's voice strong and clear? Is Tituba's voice very apparent? How can you tell the difference between Tituba's voice and the author's voice?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)