|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tituba decide she wants to be a source of?
2. What does Maryse Conde claim to sense strongly, which helped her to write this book?
3. Who does Tituba want revenge against?
4. What is John's faith?
5. Who is Yao?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Tituba fear death?
2. Describe Christianity in Salem.
3. Why is a theme in the book 'the ambivalence of love'?
4. How does Tituba describe Abigail?
5. What roles do Ann Putnam and Elizabeth Proctor play in Tituba's life?
6. Who does Tituba find to be most oppressive?
7. What role does spirituality play in Conde's writing?
8. Why does Tituba stop trusting Abigail?
9. Compare and contrast the Boston home with Tituba's home in Barbados.
10. Describe the captain on the ship that takes Tituba back to Barbados.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the defining role children play in Tituba's life. Consider the miscarriage she has as well as the role Betsey and Abigail play in her life.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the use of foreshadowing in the text. What does foreshadowing contribute? Does foreshadowing actually become useful in conveying a message to the reader, or is the foreshadowing usually caught in hindsight?
Essay Topic 3
What purpose does the Afterword serve? How does it alter the reader's opinion? Make an argument for why the Afterword is necessary or expendable.
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)