|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Yaya claim to communicate with?
2. Who claims to have wanted to speak to Tituba about her visions?
3. From what point of view is the novel told?
4. Yaya tells Tituba that which adjective describes all black people?
5. Where does the ship to America end up placing Tituba?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the captain on the ship that takes Tituba back to Barbados.
2. How does Tituba tend to feel about other women?
3. Who is Iphigene?
4. What does the historical note admit?
5. What role does Christopher play in Tituba's life?
6. How does Tituba try to heal Betsey?
7. Why is I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem a mock-epic?
8. Why does Tituba stop trusting Abigail?
9. What identities does Tituba try to retain?
10. What role does love play in Tituba's religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character is a stronger embodiment of feminist courage - Tituba or Hester?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the way Conde incorporates literature such as Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter and Miller's The Crucible in I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem? How does this incorporation build a stronger novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the use of foreshadowing in the text. What does foreshadowing contribute? Does foreshadowing actually become useful in conveying a message to the reader, or is the foreshadowing usually caught in hindsight?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)