|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Elizabeth finds Tituba's talk about sex to be which of the following?
2. Who is Betsey?
3. Tituba's story is intended to be perceived in what way?
4. Who tells Tituba to leave her alone?
5. John says that which of the following is the first duty of any slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tituba reject support from Elizabeth Proctor?
2. What kind of relationship do Hester and Tituba have?
3. Why does Tituba stop trusting Abigail?
4. What does an escapee say the reason is for the Salem Witch Trials?
5. Describe Hester's thoughts about revenge.
6. What topic does Scarboro discuss in the Afterword, and why?
7. Why was the rabbit Iphigene gave Tituba symbolic?
8. What relationship does Conde claim to have with Tituba?
9. Why does Benjamin want Tituba to stay with him?
10. Why is I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem a mock-epic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the use of foreshadowing in the text. What does foreshadowing contribute? Does foreshadowing actually become useful in conveying a message to the reader, or is the foreshadowing usually caught in hindsight?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role revenge plays in Tituba's life. What role does revenge play in Christianity, according to Tituba's narration? Why is this ironic?
Essay Topic 3
Tituba sees Parris and is immediately reminded of Satan. Describe the juxtaposition that Conde presents in terms of Tituba's comparison of Parris to Satan.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)