|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tituba react to Elizabeth Proctor?
2. What is John Indian's first priority?
3. What does Tituba describe as an unavoidable part of Christianity?
4. What do Abena and Yaya warn Tituba against?
5. Who warns Tituba about getting revenge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tituba humiliated by her love for John?
2. What power does Tituba desire?
3. How does Tituba feel when her freedom is purchased?
4. What topic does Scarboro discuss in the Afterword, and why?
5. What role does Christopher play in Tituba's life?
6. Describe Hester's thoughts about revenge.
7. How does Tituba feel when she dies?
8. What foreshadowing occurs in Chapters 1 and 2?
9. Who does Tituba find to be most oppressive?
10. How are derogatory words used to describe Tituba significant? Is it appropriate for Conde to include these racial slurs in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of the Forward. What purpose does it serve? What does the Forward contribute to the text? How does the Forward help set the tone for the text? How is the Forward helpful?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role Hester plays in Tituba's life. Why does Tituba dream about Hester, and what do these dreams represent? Why is it significant that Hester hangs herself? How does her death affect Tituba?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the defining role children play in Tituba's life. Consider the miscarriage she has as well as the role Betsey and Abigail play in her life.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)