|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author describe Tituba's spiritualism?
2. Whose life does Tituba help save?
3. What is the result of the bath Tituba gives to Betsey?
4. What cycle does the text refer to?
5. What defines Tituba's love for John Indian?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Benjamin want Tituba to stay with him?
2. What foreshadowing occurs in Chapters 1 and 2?
3. Why is a theme in the book 'the ambivalence of love'?
4. What relationship does Conde claim to have with Tituba?
5. What is ironic about revenge in Part 1, Chapters 9 and 10?
6. What role do mother-daughter relationships play in the text?
7. What piece of literature is Hester taken from?
8. What role does revenge play in Tituba's life?
9. How are derogatory words used to describe Tituba significant? Is it appropriate for Conde to include these racial slurs in the book?
10. How does Tituba describe Abigail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role revenge plays in Tituba's life. What role does revenge play in Christianity, according to Tituba's narration? Why is this ironic?
Essay Topic 2
Why is love's ambivalence a theme in the text? Who does Tituba have ambivalent relationships with? What do these relationships tell the reader about Tituba?
Essay Topic 3
How does Tituba's death illuminate mother-daughter relationships?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)