|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is purity equivalent to in the text?
2. Which word best describes Ms. Endicott?
3. Who claims to have wanted to speak to Tituba about her visions?
4. How does Tituba react to Elizabeth Proctor?
5. How does John stop screaming fits of Betsey and Abigail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship does Conde claim to have with Tituba?
2. Does Tituba forgive the Parris family? Why or why not?
3. What is significant about the fits Abigail and Betsey have?
4. What does the historical note admit?
5. What topic does Scarboro discuss in the Afterword, and why?
6. How does Tituba tend to feel about other women?
7. Why was the rabbit Iphigene gave Tituba symbolic?
8. Why was the group of Maroons bad for Tituba?
9. Explain the hypocrisy presented in the juxtaposition between Elizabeth Proctor and the woman who tells Tituba to bake a cake with urine.
10. What role do children play in Tituba's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What purpose does the Afterword serve? How does it alter the reader's opinion? Make an argument for why the Afterword is necessary or expendable.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the use of foreshadowing in the text. What does foreshadowing contribute? Does foreshadowing actually become useful in conveying a message to the reader, or is the foreshadowing usually caught in hindsight?
Essay Topic 3
What makes discrimination a theme in I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem? What literary devices contribute to the theme of discrimination?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)