|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stops Tituba from helping Betsey?
2. What does Tituba describe as an unavoidable part of Christianity?
3. The woman who owns sheep alludes to which event?
4. Who does Tituba hear humming her poem?
5. What is Tituba's identity humiliated by when she is on the ship to America?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Tituba's story parallel to Hester's story?
2. What roles do Ann Putnam and Elizabeth Proctor play in Tituba's life?
3. Describe the primary thematic concern in the text.
4. Conde makes the point that love cannot withstand what element?
5. How does Tituba feel when her freedom is purchased?
6. What role do children play in Tituba's life?
7. What happens to John when Tituba is imprisoned?
8. How does Tituba feel when she dies?
9. Why is Angela Davis a good choice for writing the Forward?
10. Why was the group of Maroons bad for Tituba?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the historical context of the novel. Why is it significant to consider the historical context of the novel when examining character motivations?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the climax of I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem. Why is this the climax? Why is this important for the reader to note?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role revenge plays in Tituba's life. What role does revenge play in Christianity, according to Tituba's narration? Why is this ironic?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)