|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Abigail?
2. How does Tituba describe the Boston home?
3. Whose life does Tituba help save?
4. What does Maryse Conde claim to sense strongly, which helped her to write this book?
5. What is John's faith?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tituba wary about relationships?
2. What is significant about the fits Abigail and Betsey have?
3. What role does revenge play in Tituba's life?
4. Explain the hypocrisy presented in the juxtaposition between Elizabeth Proctor and the woman who tells Tituba to bake a cake with urine.
5. Who is Hester?
6. Why is I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem a mock-epic?
7. Why does Tituba reject support from Elizabeth Proctor?
8. Why does Tituba stop trusting Abigail?
9. Describe Christianity in Salem.
10. How does Tituba describe Elizabeth Parris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is love's ambivalence a theme in the text? Who does Tituba have ambivalent relationships with? What do these relationships tell the reader about Tituba?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the climax of I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem. Why is this the climax? Why is this important for the reader to note?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the historical context of the novel. Why is it significant to consider the historical context of the novel when examining character motivations?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)