|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Elizabeth finds Tituba's talk about sex to be which of the following?
2. What defines Tituba's love for John Indian?
3. Who is Abena?
4. Who did Yaya claim to communicate with?
5. How does Tituba describe the Boston home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the Boston home with Tituba's home in Barbados.
2. What power does Tituba desire?
3. According to Tituba, what does Christianity do?
4. Why is a theme in the book 'the ambivalence of love'?
5. What roles do Ann Putnam and Elizabeth Proctor play in Tituba's life?
6. How does Tituba describe Elizabeth Parris?
7. What does love typically bring for Tituba?
8. What prediction can you make for Tituba based on the Parris family beginning to distrust her?
9. Conde makes the point that love cannot withstand what element?
10. What topic does Scarboro discuss in the Afterword, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Conde dismiss texts such as The Crucible and The Scarlet Letter?
Essay Topic 2
Why is religion significant to the story of Tituba? How does Tituba see religion? What kind of religion does Tituba feel comfortable with? Why is this so?
Essay Topic 3
Why is love's ambivalence a theme in the text? Who does Tituba have ambivalent relationships with? What do these relationships tell the reader about Tituba?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)