|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stops Tituba from helping Betsey?
2. Which adjective best describes the Parris family home in Salem?
3. Whom does Tituba reject the support of?
4. Who does Tituba teach her poem to?
5. What is John's faith?
Short Essay Questions
1. What power does Tituba desire?
2. What identities does Tituba try to retain?
3. Why is I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem a mock-epic?
4. Does Tituba fear death?
5. How does Tituba tend to feel about other women?
6. What roles do Ann Putnam and Elizabeth Proctor play in Tituba's life?
7. Why does Tituba stop trusting Abigail?
8. Why was the rabbit Iphigene gave Tituba symbolic?
9. Why is Tituba humiliated by her love for John?
10. According to Tituba, what does Christianity do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is love's ambivalence a theme in the text? Who does Tituba have ambivalent relationships with? What do these relationships tell the reader about Tituba?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role Hester plays in Tituba's life. Why does Tituba dream about Hester, and what do these dreams represent? Why is it significant that Hester hangs herself? How does her death affect Tituba?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the way Conde implements voice in the text. Is Tituba's voice strong and clear? Is Tituba's voice very apparent? How can you tell the difference between Tituba's voice and the author's voice?
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)