|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman who claims to be acquainted with Yaya?
2. Who is Abigail?
3. John's desire for survival is an example of which literary device?
4. What bay is the Endicott Plantation situated on?
5. Who does Tituba hear humming her poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship does Conde claim to have with Tituba?
2. What power does Tituba desire?
3. What does physical subjugation cause for Tituba?
4. Why is a theme in the book 'the ambivalence of love'?
5. According to Tituba, what does Christianity do?
6. What role does spirituality play in Conde's writing?
7. Describe the primary thematic concern in the text.
8. How does Conde juxtapose Parris and Satan?
9. Why does Tituba reject support from Elizabeth Proctor?
10. What kind of relationship do Hester and Tituba have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the historical context of the novel. Why is it significant to consider the historical context of the novel when examining character motivations?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Conde dismiss texts such as The Crucible and The Scarlet Letter?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the use of foreshadowing in the text. What does foreshadowing contribute? Does foreshadowing actually become useful in conveying a message to the reader, or is the foreshadowing usually caught in hindsight?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)