|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of the bath Tituba gives to Betsey?
2. What cycle does the text refer to?
3. Who does Tituba want revenge against?
4. Which adjective best describes the Parris family home in Salem?
5. Who does Tituba become concerned with in terms of health in Part 1, Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What topic does Scarboro discuss in the Afterword, and why?
2. Why is Angela Davis a good choice for writing the Forward?
3. Why is a theme in the book 'the ambivalence of love'?
4. What piece of literature is Hester taken from?
5. What happens to John when Tituba is imprisoned?
6. Why was the group of Maroons bad for Tituba?
7. What is ironic about revenge in Part 1, Chapters 9 and 10?
8. Why does Tituba reject support from Elizabeth Proctor?
9. What role does love play in Tituba's religion?
10. Conde makes the point that love cannot withstand what element?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the defining role children play in Tituba's life. Consider the miscarriage she has as well as the role Betsey and Abigail play in her life.
Essay Topic 2
What makes I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem a mock-heroic story? What elements of parody are evident in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role revenge plays in Tituba's life. What role does revenge play in Christianity, according to Tituba's narration? Why is this ironic?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)