|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A town matron tells Tituba to bake a cake with what in it?
2. The activist in the Forward describes the book as which of the following?
3. Which word best describes Ms. Endicott?
4. Tituba believes that which of John's characteristics is a good balance for her own moodiness?
5. Which adjective best describes the Parris family home in Salem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to John when Tituba is imprisoned?
2. Does Tituba fear death?
3. What roles do Ann Putnam and Elizabeth Proctor play in Tituba's life?
4. How is Tituba's story parallel to Hester's story?
5. What does love typically bring for Tituba?
6. What prediction can you make for Tituba based on the Parris family beginning to distrust her?
7. Does Tituba forgive the Parris family? Why or why not?
8. What role does Hester play in Tituba's dreams?
9. What is ironic about revenge in Part 1, Chapters 9 and 10?
10. What topic does Scarboro discuss in the Afterword, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Conde dismiss texts such as The Crucible and The Scarlet Letter?
Essay Topic 2
What makes I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem a mock-heroic story? What elements of parody are evident in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Why is religion significant to the story of Tituba? How does Tituba see religion? What kind of religion does Tituba feel comfortable with? Why is this so?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)