|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is purity equivalent to in the text?
2. Who does Tituba hear humming her poem?
3. What location does Tituba long for?
4. What happens to Tituba on the ship to America?
5. Which adjective best describes the Parris family home in Salem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship does Conde claim to have with Tituba?
2. How does Tituba describe Abigail?
3. Why is Angela Davis a good choice for writing the Forward?
4. Why does Conde dismiss The Crucible and The Scarlet Letter?
5. Conde makes the point that love cannot withstand what element?
6. How does Tituba describe Elizabeth Parris?
7. What is ironic about revenge in Part 1, Chapters 9 and 10?
8. What role do mother-daughter relationships play in the text?
9. How is Tituba's story parallel to Hester's story?
10. What happens to John when Tituba is imprisoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Tituba passive or active? Give at least three examples of Tituba's activity or inactivity to demonstrate your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role revenge plays in Tituba's life. What role does revenge play in Christianity, according to Tituba's narration? Why is this ironic?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the way Conde implements voice in the text. Is Tituba's voice strong and clear? Is Tituba's voice very apparent? How can you tell the difference between Tituba's voice and the author's voice?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)