|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John's faith?
2. What does Tituba fear?
3. How does John stop screaming fits of Betsey and Abigail?
4. Who teaches Tituba about herbs?
5. How does Tituba react to Elizabeth Proctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tituba try to heal Betsey?
2. How does Tituba describe Abigail?
3. Why is Tituba wary about relationships?
4. How does Tituba feel when she dies?
5. What does the historical note admit?
6. What is the climax of I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem?
7. Conde makes the point that love cannot withstand what element?
8. Explain the hypocrisy presented in the juxtaposition between Elizabeth Proctor and the woman who tells Tituba to bake a cake with urine.
9. How is Tituba's story parallel to Hester's story?
10. Describe the captain on the ship that takes Tituba back to Barbados.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role revenge plays in Tituba's life. What role does revenge play in Christianity, according to Tituba's narration? Why is this ironic?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the way Conde incorporates literature such as Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter and Miller's The Crucible in I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem? How does this incorporation build a stronger novel?
Essay Topic 3
Is Tituba passive or active? Give at least three examples of Tituba's activity or inactivity to demonstrate your argument.
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)