|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Abigail?
2. Who is presented as the most oppressive type of person?
3. How does Tituba describe the Boston home?
4. What is purity equivalent to in the text?
5. Who did Yaya claim to communicate with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does physical subjugation cause for Tituba?
2. Why does Tituba intentionally miscarry her child?
3. What does love typically bring for Tituba?
4. How does Tituba try to heal Betsey?
5. Why is I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem a mock-epic?
6. Why does Tituba stop trusting Abigail?
7. How does Tituba tend to feel about other women?
8. How does Tituba feel when her freedom is purchased?
9. Compare and contrast the Boston home with Tituba's home in Barbados.
10. How does Tituba feel when she dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the defining role children play in Tituba's life. Consider the miscarriage she has as well as the role Betsey and Abigail play in her life.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role Hester plays in Tituba's life. Why does Tituba dream about Hester, and what do these dreams represent? Why is it significant that Hester hangs herself? How does her death affect Tituba?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Conde dismiss texts such as The Crucible and The Scarlet Letter?
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)