|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who warns Tituba about getting revenge?
(c) John Indian.
2. What relationship does Maryse Conde claim to have with Tituba?
(a) Tituba has no relationship with her because she is dead.
(b) Tituba talks to her.
(c) Tituba is a part of her.
(d) Tituba disapproves of her work.
3. What defines spiritual and emotional subjugation in the text?
(a) Physical subjugation.
4. John's desire for survival is an example of which literary device?
5. John says that which of the following is the first duty of any slave?
(a) To serve.
(b) To please.
(c) To survive.
(d) To hide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Tituba that all blacks face misfortune?
2. What relationship do Tituba and Elizabeth begin to have?
3. What does Tituba say made Abena beautiful?
4. What is the name of the African-American activist in the Forward?
5. From what point of view is the novel told?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Benjamin want Tituba to stay with him?
2. How are derogatory words used to describe Tituba significant? Is it appropriate for Conde to include these racial slurs in the book?
3. What happens to John when Tituba is imprisoned?
4. What role do children play in Tituba's life?
5. Why is Tituba wary about relationships?
6. Describe the primary thematic concern in the text.
7. What foreshadowing occurs in Chapters 1 and 2?
8. Describe Hester's thoughts about revenge.
9. What does the historical note admit?
10. Does Tituba fear death?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)