|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Yaya claim to communicate with?
(a) People on other islands.
(c) Dead people.
(d) Her ancestors.
2. Whose life does Tituba help save?
3. What is purity equivalent to in the text?
4. Who is Yao?
(a) Tituba's mother's rapist.
(b) Tituba's aunt.
(c) Tituba's adopted mother.
(d) Tituba's adopted father.
5. Who does Tituba become concerned with in terms of health in Part 1, Chapter 9?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which adjective best describes the Parris family home in Salem?
2. Why is Abena executed?
3. Who tells Tituba that she will survive?
4. Who tells Tituba that all blacks face misfortune?
5. Tituba believes that which of John's characteristics is a good balance for her own moodiness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hester?
2. How are derogatory words used to describe Tituba significant? Is it appropriate for Conde to include these racial slurs in the book?
3. Compare and contrast the Boston home with Tituba's home in Barbados.
4. Why is a theme in the book 'the ambivalence of love'?
5. What role does spirituality play in Conde's writing?
6. Why does Tituba reject support from Elizabeth Proctor?
7. Describe the primary thematic concern in the text.
8. What does physical subjugation cause for Tituba?
9. What does the historical note admit?
10. Describe Tituba's parents.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)