|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hester tell Tituba to do?
(a) Not to give in.
(b) Whatever she is told to do.
(c) To run away.
(d) To confess for her sins.
2. How does Tituba view birth?
(a) As a curse.
(b) As a scapegoat.
(c) As a blessing.
(d) As a shame.
3. How many magistrates were at the Salem meeting?
4. What is the name of the girl Tituba says she has adopted?
5. Who was Betsey sent to live with?
(a) Her biological mother.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her uncle.
6. What does Conde's use of contemporary terms do?
(a) Link the present to the past.
(b) Link Tituba to America.
(c) Keep the dialogue interesting.
(d) Link Tituba to the modern reader.
7. Hester says that Tituba should take revenge on whom?
(a) Those who accuse her.
(b) Those who persecute her.
(c) Those who do nothing.
(d) Those who laugh at her.
8. What was Iphigene's fate?
(a) He was sent to America.
(b) He escaped punishment.
(c) He was executed.
(d) He was sold into slavery.
9. Whose child is Tituba pregnant with?
10. What novel is the character Hester from?
(a) The Great Gatsby.
(b) The Scarlet Letter.
11. What name does Benjamin go by?
12. What does the epilogue discuss?
(a) The events that have occurred since Tituba left America.
(b) The events that lead up to the Tituba's return to America.
(c) The events leading up to the birth of Tituba's daughter.
(d) The events that have occurred since Tituba's death.
13. Where does Tituba begin working while imprisoned?
(a) The prison's restrooms.
(b) The prison's kitchen.
(c) The animal's section of the barn.
(d) Outside, doing laundry.
14. Which of the following Parris family members apologizes to Tituba?
15. When Tituba is imprisoned, what does she notice about John Indian?
(a) He is also accused of witchcraft.
(b) He appears more prosperous.
(c) He has become more religous.
(d) He has become more angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hester dreams of living in a society dominated by which group of people?
2. What does the band of escapees call itself?
3. How many children does Benjamin have?
4. What does the historical note admit?
5. Tituba says that after her death, what kind of struggles will end?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)