|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relationship do Tituba and Elizabeth begin to have?
2. The activist in the Forward describes the book as which of the following?
(a) A document of Tituba's faith.
(b) Tituba's life's work.
(c) Tituba's statement of love.
(d) Tituba's revenge.
3. What is purity equivalent to in the text?
4. Who is presented as the most oppressive type of person?
(a) Middle-aged white women.
(b) White male Christians.
(c) Those who believe in a religious deity.
(d) Slave owners.
5. Abigail says that the person they were watching being executed was which of the following?
(a) A witch.
(b) A Christian.
(c) A Jew.
(d) A mystic.
6. What is Tituba's identity humiliated by when she is on the ship to America?
(a) Her lack of a father.
(b) Her lack of religion.
(c) Her love for John.
(d) Her relationship with Yaya and Abena.
7. How does Tituba feel about Christianity?
(a) It comforts her.
(b) It makes her feel more spiritual.
(c) It makes her uneasy.
(d) It makes her acknowledge her dark past.
8. Why is Abena executed?
(a) She refused to go to church.
(b) She attacked her owner.
(c) She had an abortion.
(d) She was accused of being a witch.
9. Who tells Tituba to leave her alone?
10. What does Maryse Conde claim to sense strongly, which helped her to write this book?
(a) Documents about Tituba's faith.
(b) Tituba's personality.
(c) Pieces of dialogue Tituba had with others.
(d) Tituba's voice.
11. How does Tituba describe the Boston home?
12. How does the author describe Tituba's spiritualism?
13. How does Tituba react to Elizabeth Proctor?
(a) She ignores her.
(b) She reacts negatively.
(c) She accepts her invitation of friendship.
(d) She reassures her that everything will be okay.
14. What is Tituba told to do by Yaya and Abena?
(a) Kill Ms. Endicott.
(b) Make Ms. Endicott happy.
(c) Make Ms. Endicott sick.
(d) Convince Ms. Endicott to sell her and John.
15. What location does Tituba long for?
(b) New York.
(d) South Carolina.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who vows to Tituba to see her hanged?
2. Where does the ship to America end up placing Tituba?
3. In what century was Tituba on trial for witchcraft?
4. What does Tituba describe as an unavoidable part of Christianity?
5. What is the primary thematic concern of this text?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)