|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the primary thematic concern of this text?
(a) The significance of romantic love.
(b) The power of prejudice.
2. What does the activist in the Forward say the text is a metaphor for?
(a) The voices of women accused of being witches.
(b) The voices of the faithless.
(c) The voice of women seeking sexuality.
(d) The voices of many unheard black women.
3. What does Maryse Conde claim to sense strongly, which helped her to write this book?
(a) Documents about Tituba's faith.
(b) Tituba's personality.
(c) Tituba's voice.
(d) Pieces of dialogue Tituba had with others.
4. Who is Abena?
(a) Tituba's adopted mother.
(b) Tituba's father.
(c) Tituba's aunt.
(d) Tituba's mother.
5. How does Tituba feel about Christianity?
(a) It makes her feel more spiritual.
(b) It makes her uneasy.
(c) It comforts her.
(d) It makes her acknowledge her dark past.
6. What is the result of the bath Tituba gives to Betsey?
(a) She has less stress.
(b) She gains weight.
(c) She stops being short of breath.
(d) She sleeps better.
7. Who does Tituba hear humming her poem?
8. The man who visits Ms. Endicott looks like which figure, according to Tituba?
(d) Santa Claus.
9. The woman who owns sheep alludes to which event?
(a) The birth of Tituba's child.
(b) Tituba's death.
(c) John Indian's death.
(d) The rebirth of Tituba as a spirit.
10. Tituba wants to be seen in which way?
11. How does Conde portray Christianity?
12. How does Tituba describe the Boston home?
13. Whom does Tituba describe as a mere "accomplice"?
14. What is Ms. Endicott's first name?
15. A town matron tells Tituba to bake a cake with what in it?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tituba say made Abena beautiful?
2. Who tells Tituba that all blacks face misfortune?
3. What relationship do Tituba and Elizabeth begin to have?
4. What is John Indian's first priority?
5. What happens to Tituba on the ship to America?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)