|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose television special did Tina appear on during this time?
2. Which country did Tina instantly fall in love with while on tour?
3. Why did musicians stop renting Ike's studios?
4. What kind of car did Sammy Davis Jr. buy for Tina for appearing in a TV show?
5. What happens to Ike from his drug use?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances around Tina's abortion?
2. How was Ike's abuse escalating out of control?
3. How did Tina's career begin to transition after her divorce from Ike?
4. Even though they are playing in Las Vegas, why did Ike and Tina still fall short of superstar status?
5. How did Ike and Tina begin a professional relationship with Phil Spector?
6. How did Ike's beatings of Tina escalate?
7. What was Tina's role in TOMMY and who were some of the other stars involved?
8. What was the state of Ike and Tina's career in the mid 1970s?
9. What was meant by the term "black rock"?
10. What was Ike's behavior when he realized that Tina was not coming back to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would black women have had lonely lives in America in the mid 20th century? Why would Tina have had an especially lonely life being the wife of Ike Turner? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The search for love is an important element in Tina's life. How was Tina isolated as a child? How did she feel about her strained relationship with her mother? Why did she get involved with Ike Turner? Is there a pattern in Tina's destructive life choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Tina was such a sensation during the 1960s. What was it about her talent and style that was so distinctive? How was she different from so many of the other girls on the music scene at the time? How much of Tina's performance was inherent and how much was for show?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)