|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Otis Redding hit did Tina record that made it big?
2. What took over Ike's life in the Seventies?
3. The addition of rock songs into Ike and Tina's R&B sounds was called __________________.
4. What did Tina do for the first time after Ike brutally beat her in Dallas?
5. In the Seventies, Ike and Tina ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes did Davies advise Tina to make in her act?
2. What were the circumstances around Tina's suicide attempt?
3. What did a psychic tell Tina about her career?
4. How did Ike's beatings of Tina escalate?
5. How was Ike's abuse escalating out of control?
6. How did Tina finally secure a record contract with Capitol Records as a single artist?
7. Who was Phil Spector and what was his position in the music world in the 1960s?
8. How did Tina manage to get away from Ike in Dallas?
9. How did Tina's career begin to transition after her divorce from Ike?
10. Describe Ike's deterioration in light of Tina's success in TOMMY?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Tina was such a sensation during the 1960s. What was it about her talent and style that was so distinctive? How was she different from so many of the other girls on the music scene at the time? How much of Tina's performance was inherent and how much was for show?
Essay Topic 2
The search for love is an important element in Tina's life. How was Tina isolated as a child? How did she feel about her strained relationship with her mother? Why did she get involved with Ike Turner? Is there a pattern in Tina's destructive life choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Ike and Tina's careers blossomed in the 1960s, a time of great upheaval in America. What were the issues facing black people in the 1960s? How were Ike and Tina discriminated against in their career? What impact did the Civil Rights movement have on their lives short term and long term? Explain.
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)