|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characterizes Tina's feelings about Ike during this period?
2. Which New York hotel finally agreed to let Tina perform?
3. Who told Tina that she would become one of the biggest stars in the world and that her partner would fall away like a leaf?
4. Which Otis Redding hit did Tina record that made it big?
5. Who was the boy genius of the musical world in the Sixties?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the state of Ike and Tina's career in the mid 1970s?
2. What song became Ike and Tina's last hit together?
3. What was meant by the term "black rock"?
4. What did a psychic tell Tina about her career?
5. What changes did Davies advise Tina to make in her act?
6. How was Tina able to get a hotel room in Dallas with no money?
7. Who became Tina's new manager and where did her career as a single performer launch?
8. How did Tina inform Ike that she wanted a divorce and how did she take care of herself in the meantime?
9. Although "River Deep-Mountain High" was a flop in America, it was a hit in Europe and launched what phase of Tina's life?
10. How did Rhonda Graam try to help Tina get work and what was the major stumbling block?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting and time period for Tina's childhood. What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Tina, her family and friends?
Essay Topic 2
Ike and Tina's careers blossomed in the 1960s, a time of great upheaval in America. What were the issues facing black people in the 1960s? How were Ike and Tina discriminated against in their career? What impact did the Civil Rights movement have on their lives short term and long term? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Prejudice and discrimination against Negroes was a fact of life during Tina's childhood and early career. What limitations did Tina struggle against? How did racial discrimination hold her back? How did Ike and Tina capitalize on being black in the music world? What prejudices did they experience even when they were celebrities? Explain.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)