|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Tina stay in the months after she left Ike?
2. When did Tina begin to feel a change within herself?
3. Which rock star convinced Capitol Records execs to accompany him to Tina's performance at the Ritz?
4. How much was Tina paid for recording "River Deep-Mountain High'?
5. Where did Tina fly to the day after she left Ike in Dallas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tina's career begin to transition after her divorce from Ike?
2. What changes did Davies advise Tina to make in her act?
3. What did a psychic tell Tina about her career?
4. Who was Phil Spector and what was his position in the music world in the 1960s?
5. What song became Ike and Tina's last hit together?
6. How did Tina finally secure a record contract with Capitol Records as a single artist?
7. How did Buddhism help Tina begin to heal her life?
8. What was Ike's behavior when he realized that Tina was not coming back to him?
9. How was Tina able to get a hotel room in Dallas with no money?
10. What was the state of Ike and Tina's career in the mid 1970s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Tina was such a sensation during the 1960s. What was it about her talent and style that was so distinctive? How was she different from so many of the other girls on the music scene at the time? How much of Tina's performance was inherent and how much was for show?
Essay Topic 2
Prejudice and discrimination against Negroes was a fact of life during Tina's childhood and early career. What limitations did Tina struggle against? How did racial discrimination hold her back? How did Ike and Tina capitalize on being black in the music world? What prejudices did they experience even when they were celebrities? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does she mean by calling it I, TINA? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)