|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Tina want to sing on stage?
2. When was the divorce final between Ike and Tina?
3. Which country did Tina instantly fall in love with while on tour?
4. What drug did Tina take in a suicide attempt?
5. Spector's approach to music became known as ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who became Tina's new manager and where did her career as a single performer launch?
2. Describe Ike's deterioration in light of Tina's success in TOMMY?
3. What was meant by the term "black rock"?
4. Even though they are playing in Las Vegas, why did Ike and Tina still fall short of superstar status?
5. Although "River Deep-Mountain High" was a flop in America, it was a hit in Europe and launched what phase of Tina's life?
6. How did Ike's beatings of Tina escalate?
7. What song became Ike and Tina's last hit together?
8. What was Ike's behavior when he realized that Tina was not coming back to him?
9. What was the state of Ike and Tina's career in the mid 1970s?
10. What was Tina's role in TOMMY and who were some of the other stars involved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact did Tina's estranged relationship with her mother have on Tina's life? What emotional wounds did Tina suffer? How did the rejection by her mother impact Tina's relationships with other people? Was it part of Tina's inability to stand up to Ike and stop the abuse? Did Tina feel like she deserved to be abused because she was unworthy? State your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Tina was such a sensation during the 1960s. What was it about her talent and style that was so distinctive? How was she different from so many of the other girls on the music scene at the time? How much of Tina's performance was inherent and how much was for show?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the cultural climate in America in the late 1950s and why the time was right for Ike and Tina's music to emerge. What were the rebellious trends coming out of California at the time? Why was black music considered elite among young white kids during this time?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)