|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characterizes Tina's feelings about Ike during this period?
2. Why did Tina order Ann Thomas to move out of her house?
3. Ike never gave Tina _______________.
4. What did Tina do for the first time after Ike brutally beat her in Dallas?
5. What award did Tina win for vocal on "Proud Mary"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances around Tina's abortion?
2. How did Rhonda Graam try to help Tina get work and what was the major stumbling block?
3. What was Tina's role in TOMMY and who were some of the other stars involved?
4. What were the circumstances of Tina's falling ill with tuberculosis?
5. What were the circumstances around Tina's suicide attempt?
6. What song became Ike and Tina's last hit together?
7. Who became Tina's new manager and where did her career as a single performer launch?
8. How did Tina manage to get away from Ike in Dallas?
9. How was Ike's abuse escalating out of control?
10. How did Tina inform Ike that she wanted a divorce and how did she take care of herself in the meantime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the mid-twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about black women would Tina have carried with her throughout her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Why were Ike and Tina very popular in Europe even when they were not as hot in America? What were European audiences appreciating in their style that Americans were not? Why was Tina so comfortable in Europe, enough so that she relocated there permanently? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does she mean by calling it I, TINA? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)