|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tina chase Ann Thomas with when Ann showed up at the house after being kicked out?
2. Where did Tina do her first lengthy tour out of the country?
3. Which of the following does Tina want to sing on stage?
4. Where did Tina stay the night she ran away from Ike?
5. What song became Ike and Tina's biggest hit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances of Tina's falling ill with tuberculosis?
2. What was Ike's behavior when he realized that Tina was not coming back to him?
3. How was Ike's abuse escalating out of control?
4. How did Davies manage to get Tina's single career launched in the United States?
5. How did Ike's cocaine habit worsen his physical abuse of people?
6. How did Ike and Tina begin a professional relationship with Phil Spector?
7. What did a psychic tell Tina about her career?
8. What were the circumstances around Tina's abortion?
9. What were the circumstances around Tina's suicide attempt?
10. Who was Phil Spector and what was his position in the music world in the 1960s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does she mean by calling it I, TINA? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 2
From what you can glean from Tina's descriptions of her mother? Create a brief character study of Tina's mother. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What made her abandon her daughters? How did she reconcile with them? What emotional damage was done? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the cultural climate in America in the late 1950s and why the time was right for Ike and Tina's music to emerge. What were the rebellious trends coming out of California at the time? Why was black music considered elite among young white kids during this time?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)