|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did Tina open with her new act as a single performer?
2. Where did Tina do her first lengthy tour out of the country?
3. What respiratory disease did Tina get that took her years to recover from?
4. What magazine published an account of Ike and Tina's life that infuriated Ike?
5. Ike and Tina open for which headliner in Las Vegas in 1969?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ike's beatings of Tina escalate?
2. What was the state of Ike and Tina's career in the mid 1970s?
3. What were the circumstances around Tina's suicide attempt?
4. How did Rhonda Graam try to help Tina get work and what was the major stumbling block?
5. How was Tina able to get a hotel room in Dallas with no money?
6. Although "River Deep-Mountain High" was a flop in America, it was a hit in Europe and launched what phase of Tina's life?
7. What song became Ike and Tina's last hit together?
8. How was Ike's abuse escalating out of control?
9. What were the circumstances of Tina's falling ill with tuberculosis?
10. What did a psychic tell Tina about her career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tina Turner was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Tina's life through this book, what were her biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did she manage through them? How did her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Why were Ike and Tina very popular in Europe even when they were not as hot in America? What were European audiences appreciating in their style that Americans were not? Why was Tina so comfortable in Europe, enough so that she relocated there permanently? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does she mean by calling it I, TINA? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)