|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Otis Redding hit did Tina record that made it big?
2. Which rock star convinced Capitol Records execs to accompany him to Tina's performance at the Ritz?
3. Which of the following does Tina want to sing on stage?
4. Which rock star invited Tina to sing with him on a Saturday Night Live appearance?
5. What song became Ike and Tina's biggest hit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would black women have had lonely lives in America in the mid 20th century? Why would Tina have had an especially lonely life being the wife of Ike Turner? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting and time period for Tina's childhood. What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Tina, her family and friends?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Tina was such a sensation during the 1960s. What was it about her talent and style that was so distinctive? How was she different from so many of the other girls on the music scene at the time? How much of Tina's performance was inherent and how much was for show?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)