|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Seventies, Ike and Tina ___________________.
2. Where did Ike brutally beat Tina during their Dallas appearance?
3. Ike never gave Tina _______________.
4. What took over Ike's life in the Seventies?
5. Which of Tina's body parts did Ike break and still made Tina sing that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Tina able to get a hotel room in Dallas with no money?
2. Even though they are playing in Las Vegas, why did Ike and Tina still fall short of superstar status?
3. Who was Phil Spector and what was his position in the music world in the 1960s?
4. Although "River Deep-Mountain High" was a flop in America, it was a hit in Europe and launched what phase of Tina's life?
5. What song became Ike and Tina's last hit together?
6. How did Tina manage to get away from Ike in Dallas?
7. What were the circumstances around Tina's suicide attempt?
8. How did Ike's beatings of Tina escalate?
9. How did Ike's cocaine habit worsen his physical abuse of people?
10. How was Ike's abuse escalating out of control?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Tina was such a sensation during the 1960s. What was it about her talent and style that was so distinctive? How was she different from so many of the other girls on the music scene at the time? How much of Tina's performance was inherent and how much was for show?
Essay Topic 2
Tina Turner was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Tina's life through this book, what were her biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did she manage through them? How did her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Tina admitted that she should not have stayed with Ike as long as she did because of the abuse. Why did Tina stay after she was abused the first time? What was her internal need that would allow her to be abused on a regular basis? What would Tina advise a woman today if she were to find herself in a toxic relationship? Explain.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)