|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Tina order Ann Thomas to move out of her house?
2. What song became Ike and Tina's biggest hit?
3. What is the state of Ike and Tina's live appearances in the mid Seventies?
4. In what city did Ike and Tina have a scheduled appearance in July, 1976?
5. What did Tina discover that she and Ann Thomas had in common during this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tina inform Ike that she wanted a divorce and how did she take care of herself in the meantime?
2. Who became Tina's new manager and where did her career as a single performer launch?
3. How did Buddhism help Tina begin to heal her life?
4. What was meant by the term "black rock"?
5. How did Ike's beatings of Tina escalate?
6. What was Tina's role in TOMMY and who were some of the other stars involved?
7. What changes did Davies advise Tina to make in her act?
8. What did Tina do for the first time in Dallas in July of 1976?
9. What was Ike's behavior when he realized that Tina was not coming back to him?
10. What were the circumstances of Tina's falling ill with tuberculosis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ike and Tina's careers blossomed in the 1960s, a time of great upheaval in America. What were the issues facing black people in the 1960s? How were Ike and Tina discriminated against in their career? What impact did the Civil Rights movement have on their lives short term and long term? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does she mean by calling it I, TINA? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the impact that Ike's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be poor and black in the 1930s in America? What stigmas did Ike live with for his entire life? How did Ike attempt to level the racial discrimination playing field in his adult life?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)