|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Tina become pregnant with Ike's child?
2. How many kids were living with Ike and Tina in the Los Angeles house?
3. Where did the Kings of Rhythm find a permanent place to play in East St. Louis?
4. What did Ike do when some boys harassed Bonnie in Kentucky?
5. Who is the white girl Ike hired to be an Ikette?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tina Turner as a child.
2. How did Ike form his group, the Kings of Rhythm, and what influence did B.B. King have on his career?
3. What roles did Ike and Tina assume in the revue when they moved to Los Angeles?
4. How did wigs become a signature part of Tina's act?
5. What was the source of detachment that Tina felt from her mother?
6. Why did Ike and his band settle in St. Louis, Missouri?
7. Why did Tina's parents live away from their daughters for two years?
8. Who was Ann Cain and what role did she have in Ike and Tina's life?
9. How did Tina meet Ike Turner?
10. What did Tina like about staying with her grandmother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the mid-twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about black women would Tina have carried with her throughout her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Prejudice and discrimination against Negroes was a fact of life during Tina's childhood and early career. What limitations did Tina struggle against? How did racial discrimination hold her back? How did Ike and Tina capitalize on being black in the music world? What prejudices did they experience even when they were celebrities? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would black women have had lonely lives in America in the mid 20th century? Why would Tina have had an especially lonely life being the wife of Ike Turner? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)