|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tina's son's name?
2. What did Ike do with the $40,000 upfront money from a recording contract?
3. Why did Tina need to find a new place to live?
4. Who is Tina's father?
5. How many kids were living with Ike and Tina in the Los Angeles house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though they are playing in Las Vegas, why did Ike and Tina still fall short of superstar status?
2. What did a psychic tell Tina about her career?
3. What changes did Davies advise Tina to make in her act?
4. What were the circumstances under which Anna Mae transitioned into Tina Turner?
5. What was Ike's behavior when he realized that Tina was not coming back to him?
6. What were the circumstances around Tina's suicide attempt?
7. How did Tina inform Ike that she wanted a divorce and how did she take care of herself in the meantime?
8. How did Ike and Tina begin a professional relationship with Phil Spector?
9. What was the source of detachment that Tina felt from her mother?
10. Why did Tina's parents live away from their daughters for two years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the mid-twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about black women would Tina have carried with her throughout her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the cultural climate in America in the late 1950s and why the time was right for Ike and Tina's music to emerge. What were the rebellious trends coming out of California at the time? Why was black music considered elite among young white kids during this time?
Essay Topic 3
Tina Turner was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Tina's life through this book, what were her biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did she manage through them? How did her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
This section contains 1,936 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)