|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Black jazz and rhythm and blues bands began to emerge in what year?
2. Why did Ike want to marry Tina?
3. On what did Tina's family rely for all their music?
4. Who was the white couple Tina worked for as a girl?
5. What was the name of the dance that marked the beginning of the Sixties?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ike form his group, the Kings of Rhythm, and what influence did B.B. King have on his career?
2. What type of music did Tina like during high school in the 1950s?
3. How was Tina able to get a hotel room in Dallas with no money?
4. How did Tina meet Ike Turner?
5. What was the state of Ike and Tina's personal relationship in Los Angeles?
6. What was Ike and Tina's household like in Los Angeles?
7. How was Ike's abuse escalating out of control?
8. Describe Tina Turner as a child.
9. What were the circumstances under which Anna Mae transitioned into Tina Turner?
10. What were the circumstances of Ike and Tina's marriage?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does she mean by calling it I, TINA? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 2
The search for love is an important element in Tina's life. How was Tina isolated as a child? How did she feel about her strained relationship with her mother? Why did she get involved with Ike Turner? Is there a pattern in Tina's destructive life choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the cultural climate in America in the late 1950s and why the time was right for Ike and Tina's music to emerge. What were the rebellious trends coming out of California at the time? Why was black music considered elite among young white kids during this time?
This section contains 1,892 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)