|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Tina find stressful about being a rising recording star?
2. Why was having sex with Rhonda a special thrill for Ike?
3. On what did Tina's family rely for all their music?
4. Where did the Kings of Rhythm find a permanent place to play in East St. Louis?
5. What activity did Tina participate in during high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ike's deterioration in light of Tina's success in TOMMY?
2. Although "River Deep-Mountain High" was a flop in America, it was a hit in Europe and launched what phase of Tina's life?
3. What was the nature of Tina's relationship with Harry Taylor?
4. How did Ike meet Tina?
5. Even though they are playing in Las Vegas, why did Ike and Tina still fall short of superstar status?
6. What was Tina Turner's given name and where was she born?
7. What were the circumstances under which Anna Mae transitioned into Tina Turner?
8. How did Tina's career begin to transition after her divorce from Ike?
9. What song became Ike and Tina's last hit together?
10. What did a psychic tell Tina about her career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does she mean by calling it I, TINA? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 2
Tina is very forthcoming about her premarital sexual relations and an abortion. Why did Tina make those decisions that she did? What would Tina advise young women today regarding such important life decisions? Would Tina make the same choices today if she had to do it all over again? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Prejudice and discrimination against Negroes was a fact of life during Tina's childhood and early career. What limitations did Tina struggle against? How did racial discrimination hold her back? How did Ike and Tina capitalize on being black in the music world? What prejudices did they experience even when they were celebrities? Explain.
This section contains 1,955 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)