|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city was Tina Turner born?
2. Who began emerging as the star of Ike's revue?
3. What is Tina's sister's name?
4. What was Tina's relationship with her sister?
5. On what did Tina's family rely for all their music?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tina meet her first love, Harry Taylor?
2. What was the extent of Ike's infidelity?
3. What roles did Ike and Tina assume in the revue when they moved to Los Angeles?
4. What did Tina's parents do that eventually broke up the family?
5. How did Ike form his group, the Kings of Rhythm, and what influence did B.B. King have on his career?
6. What was Ike and Tina's household like in Los Angeles?
7. How did Tina meet Ike Turner?
8. Why did Tina's parents live away from their daughters for two years?
9. Why did Ike and his band settle in St. Louis, Missouri?
10. When did Ike and Tina begin their relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hatred takes on an almost human persona in second part of the book. What was the source of the hatred? Why was the hatred pervasive? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
From what you can glean from Tina's descriptions of her mother? Create a brief character study of Tina's mother. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What made her abandon her daughters? How did she reconcile with them? What emotional damage was done? Explain.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)