|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Tina hospitalized which ended up stressing Ike?
2. How many kids were living with Ike and Tina in the Los Angeles house?
3. What was Ike Turner's given name?
4. Why did Ike want to marry Tina?
5. What was Tina's relationship with her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What roles did Ike and Tina assume in the revue when they moved to Los Angeles?
2. What happened the first and only time Ike hired a white girl to be an Ikette?
3. Who was Rhonda Graam and what was her role in Ike and Tina's life?
4. When did Ike and Tina begin their relationship?
5. Why did Tina's parents live away from their daughters for two years?
6. What was Ike Turner's given name and where was he born?
7. How did Tina meet her first love, Harry Taylor?
8. What was the nature of Tina's relationship with Harry Taylor?
9. Describe Tina Turner as a child.
10. What were the circumstances under which Ike first beat Tina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would black women have had lonely lives in America in the mid 20th century? Why would Tina have had an especially lonely life being the wife of Ike Turner? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the impact that Ike's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be poor and black in the 1930s in America? What stigmas did Ike live with for his entire life? How did Ike attempt to level the racial discrimination playing field in his adult life?
Essay Topic 3
Ike and Tina's careers blossomed in the 1960s, a time of great upheaval in America. What were the issues facing black people in the 1960s? How were Ike and Tina discriminated against in their career? What impact did the Civil Rights movement have on their lives short term and long term? Explain.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)