|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Tina's father move after his second marriage failed?
2. When did Tina become pregnant with Ike's child?
3. What did Ike do with the $40,000 upfront money from a recording contract?
4. What club did Ike and Tina play in New York?
5. What was Tina's relationship with her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the source of detachment that Tina felt from her mother?
2. What happened the first and only time Ike hired a white girl to be an Ikette?
3. How did wigs become a signature part of Tina's act?
4. What was the nature of Tina's relationship with Harry Taylor?
5. Who was Rhonda Graam and what was her role in Ike and Tina's life?
6. Describe Tina's older sister.
7. What was the extent of Ike's infidelity?
8. What were the circumstances under which Anna Mae transitioned into Tina Turner?
9. What type of music did Tina like during high school in the 1950s?
10. What was Ike Turner's given name and where was he born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ike and Tina's careers blossomed in the 1960s, a time of great upheaval in America. What were the issues facing black people in the 1960s? How were Ike and Tina discriminated against in their career? What impact did the Civil Rights movement have on their lives short term and long term? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would black women have had lonely lives in America in the mid 20th century? Why would Tina have had an especially lonely life being the wife of Ike Turner? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Why were Ike and Tina very popular in Europe even when they were not as hot in America? What were European audiences appreciating in their style that Americans were not? Why was Tina so comfortable in Europe, enough so that she relocated there permanently? Explain.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)