|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the young girl that Ike brought in to watch the kids and keep house?
2. What band did Tina and Alline go to East St. Louis to see?
3. Why was having sex with Rhonda a special thrill for Ike?
4. What historical event occurs in 1941 that also changes Tina's life?
5. Black jazz and rhythm and blues bands began to emerge in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ike form his group, the Kings of Rhythm, and what influence did B.B. King have on his career?
2. What type of music did Tina like during high school in the 1950s?
3. What were the circumstances under which Ike first beat Tina?
4. What was the extent of Ike's infidelity?
5. What did Tina's parents do that eventually broke up the family?
6. What was Ike Turner's given name and where was he born?
7. How did Tina meet Ike Turner?
8. What was the source of detachment that Tina felt from her mother?
9. What was Tina Turner's given name and where was she born?
10. Describe Tina Turner as a child.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the cultural climate in America in the late 1950s and why the time was right for Ike and Tina's music to emerge. What were the rebellious trends coming out of California at the time? Why was black music considered elite among young white kids during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Why were Ike and Tina very popular in Europe even when they were not as hot in America? What were European audiences appreciating in their style that Americans were not? Why was Tina so comfortable in Europe, enough so that she relocated there permanently? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does she mean by calling it I, TINA? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)