|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did Tina attend high school?
2. Which of the following roles did Ann Cain fill in the Turner household?
3. Where do Tina's parents go to apply for work in a plant to make military materials?
4. To what city had Tina's mother moved unexpectedly?
5. Who was the young white girl Ike brought in for household duties?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tina Turner as a child.
2. What did Tina's parents do that eventually broke up the family?
3. What were the circumstances of Ike and Tina's marriage?
4. What was the source of detachment that Tina felt from her mother?
5. What type of music did Tina like during high school in the 1950s?
6. What happened the first and only time Ike hired a white girl to be an Ikette?
7. What did Tina like about staying with her grandmother?
8. What roles did Ike and Tina assume in the revue when they moved to Los Angeles?
9. What was the nature of Tina's relationship with Harry Taylor?
10. What was Tina Turner's given name and where was she born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting and time period for Tina's childhood. What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Tina, her family and friends?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
Tina admitted that she should not have stayed with Ike as long as she did because of the abuse. Why did Tina stay after she was abused the first time? What was her internal need that would allow her to be abused on a regular basis? What would Tina advise a woman today if she were to find herself in a toxic relationship? Explain.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)