|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ike want to move to become a big star?
2. Where did Ike and Tina get married?
3. What was the name of the club in Ripley where Tina's family goes for entertainment?
4. What was Tina's first impression of Ike Turner?
5. What is Tina's son's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances under which Ike first beat Tina?
2. Where did the Bullock family live after the jobs ended in Nashville?
3. Describe Tina Turner as a child.
4. What type of music did Tina like during high school in the 1950s?
5. What did Tina's parents do that eventually broke up the family?
6. How did Ike form his group, the Kings of Rhythm, and what influence did B.B. King have on his career?
7. What were the circumstances under which Anna Mae transitioned into Tina Turner?
8. What was Tina Turner's given name and where was she born?
9. What was Ike Turner's given name and where was he born?
10. What happened the first and only time Ike hired a white girl to be an Ikette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tina admitted that she should not have stayed with Ike as long as she did because of the abuse. Why did Tina stay after she was abused the first time? What was her internal need that would allow her to be abused on a regular basis? What would Tina advise a woman today if she were to find herself in a toxic relationship? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the cultural climate in America in the late 1950s and why the time was right for Ike and Tina's music to emerge. What were the rebellious trends coming out of California at the time? Why was black music considered elite among young white kids during this time?
Essay Topic 3
Tina is very forthcoming about her premarital sexual relations and an abortion. Why did Tina make those decisions that she did? What would Tina advise young women today regarding such important life decisions? Would Tina make the same choices today if she had to do it all over again? Explain.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)