|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tina's relationship with her mother?
2. Who was the young girl that Ike brought in to watch the kids and keep house?
3. What was the first instrument Ike played?
4. Why did Bonnie not last as an Ikette?
5. What band did Tina and Alline go to East St. Louis to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened the first and only time Ike hired a white girl to be an Ikette?
2. What type of music did Tina like during high school in the 1950s?
3. What was Tina Turner's given name and where was she born?
4. What were the circumstances of Ike and Tina's marriage?
5. Why did Ike and his band settle in St. Louis, Missouri?
6. What did Tina like about staying with her grandmother?
7. When did Ike and Tina begin their relationship?
8. How did Ike meet Tina?
9. What was Ike Turner's given name and where was he born?
10. What did Tina's parents do that eventually broke up the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tina is very forthcoming about her premarital sexual relations and an abortion. Why did Tina make those decisions that she did? What would Tina advise young women today regarding such important life decisions? Would Tina make the same choices today if she had to do it all over again? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Tina was such a sensation during the 1960s. What was it about her talent and style that was so distinctive? How was she different from so many of the other girls on the music scene at the time? How much of Tina's performance was inherent and how much was for show?
Essay Topic 3
Tina admitted that she should not have stayed with Ike as long as she did because of the abuse. Why did Tina stay after she was abused the first time? What was her internal need that would allow her to be abused on a regular basis? What would Tina advise a woman today if she were to find herself in a toxic relationship? Explain.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)