|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Tina need to find a new place to live?
2. Why was Ike not interested in Tina as a girlfriend?
3. When was Tina Turner born?
4. Who was the young girl that Ike brought in to watch the kids and keep house?
5. What did Ike name the back-up singers in the group?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tina's older sister.
2. What was Tina Turner's given name and where was she born?
3. What roles did Ike and Tina assume in the revue when they moved to Los Angeles?
4. What were the circumstances under which Anna Mae transitioned into Tina Turner?
5. What was Ike and Tina's household like in Los Angeles?
6. Why did Ike and his band settle in St. Louis, Missouri?
7. What did Tina like about staying with her grandmother?
8. What was the state of Ike and Tina's personal relationship in Los Angeles?
9. What happened the first and only time Ike hired a white girl to be an Ikette?
10. How did Tina meet Ike Turner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ike and Tina's careers blossomed in the 1960s, a time of great upheaval in America. What were the issues facing black people in the 1960s? How were Ike and Tina discriminated against in their career? What impact did the Civil Rights movement have on their lives short term and long term? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Tina Turner. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What is her primary motivation at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would black women have had lonely lives in America in the mid 20th century? Why would Tina have had an especially lonely life being the wife of Ike Turner? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)