|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ike do with the $40,000 upfront money from a recording contract?
2. What substance did Ike begin to use during this period?
3. How did Tina meet Ike Turner?
4. What was Ike Turner's given name?
5. What did Tina do after Ike beat her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the source of detachment that Tina felt from her mother?
2. What was Ike Turner's given name and where was he born?
3. What were the circumstances of Ike and Tina's marriage?
4. When did Ike and Tina begin their relationship?
5. What type of music did Tina like during high school in the 1950s?
6. What happened the first and only time Ike hired a white girl to be an Ikette?
7. Describe Tina's older sister.
8. Why did Tina's parents live away from their daughters for two years?
9. How did Ike meet Tina?
10. What was the state of Ike and Tina's personal relationship in Los Angeles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From what you can glean from Tina's descriptions of her mother? Create a brief character study of Tina's mother. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What made her abandon her daughters? How did she reconcile with them? What emotional damage was done? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Why were Ike and Tina very popular in Europe even when they were not as hot in America? What were European audiences appreciating in their style that Americans were not? Why was Tina so comfortable in Europe, enough so that she relocated there permanently? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would black women have had lonely lives in America in the mid 20th century? Why would Tina have had an especially lonely life being the wife of Ike Turner? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)