|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tina's relationship with her sister?
2. Which of the following physical characteristics was Tina born with?
3. Who began emerging as the star of Ike's revue?
4. What did Tina think when "Fool in Love" is released by Ike and Tina Turner?
5. Why did Tina need to find a new place to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What roles did Ike and Tina assume in the revue when they moved to Los Angeles?
2. What were the circumstances under which Anna Mae transitioned into Tina Turner?
3. Describe Tina Turner as a child.
4. How did Tina meet her first love, Harry Taylor?
5. Why did Tina's parents live away from their daughters for two years?
6. What was the extent of Ike's infidelity?
7. What was the nature of Tina's relationship with Harry Taylor?
8. What was Ike Turner's given name and where was he born?
9. What were the circumstances of Ike and Tina's marriage?
10. What did Tina's parents do that eventually broke up the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Tina was such a sensation during the 1960s. What was it about her talent and style that was so distinctive? How was she different from so many of the other girls on the music scene at the time? How much of Tina's performance was inherent and how much was for show?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the mid-twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about black women would Tina have carried with her throughout her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Ike and Tina's careers blossomed in the 1960s, a time of great upheaval in America. What were the issues facing black people in the 1960s? How were Ike and Tina discriminated against in their career? What impact did the Civil Rights movement have on their lives short term and long term? Explain.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)