|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ike's father's profession?
2. Which of the following physical characteristics was Tina born with?
3. With which of the following did Tina never get involved?
4. When did Tina become pregnant with Ike's child?
5. Alline is ________________ older than Tina.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Tina's parents do that eventually broke up the family?
2. How did wigs become a signature part of Tina's act?
3. What was the state of Ike and Tina's personal relationship in Los Angeles?
4. What roles did Ike and Tina assume in the revue when they moved to Los Angeles?
5. When did Ike and Tina begin their relationship?
6. What was the nature of Tina's relationship with Harry Taylor?
7. What was the source of detachment that Tina felt from her mother?
8. Describe Tina's older sister.
9. What was the extent of Ike's infidelity?
10. Who was Ann Cain and what role did she have in Ike and Tina's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the impact that Ike's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be poor and black in the 1930s in America? What stigmas did Ike live with for his entire life? How did Ike attempt to level the racial discrimination playing field in his adult life?
Essay Topic 2
What impact did Tina's estranged relationship with her mother have on Tina's life? What emotional wounds did Tina suffer? How did the rejection by her mother impact Tina's relationships with other people? Was it part of Tina's inability to stand up to Ike and stop the abuse? Did Tina feel like she deserved to be abused because she was unworthy? State your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the cultural climate in America in the late 1950s and why the time was right for Ike and Tina's music to emerge. What were the rebellious trends coming out of California at the time? Why was black music considered elite among young white kids during this time?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)