|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Tina's father move after his second marriage failed?
2. What was Ike Turner's given name?
3. Where did Ike want to move to become a big star?
4. Who was Tina's cousin who was killed in a car accident?
5. Where do Tina's parents go to apply for work in a plant to make military materials?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances of Ike and Tina's marriage?
2. What type of music did Tina like during high school in the 1950s?
3. What was the extent of Ike's infidelity?
4. Describe Tina's older sister.
5. What was the state of Ike and Tina's personal relationship in Los Angeles?
6. Why did Tina's parents live away from their daughters for two years?
7. Why did Ike and his band settle in St. Louis, Missouri?
8. Who was Ann Cain and what role did she have in Ike and Tina's life?
9. What was the source of detachment that Tina felt from her mother?
10. How did Tina meet Ike Turner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ike and Tina's careers blossomed in the 1960s, a time of great upheaval in America. What were the issues facing black people in the 1960s? How were Ike and Tina discriminated against in their career? What impact did the Civil Rights movement have on their lives short term and long term? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Name three hallmarks of popular culture from the 1960s. Describe the movements or trends and give some rationale for their popularity. Why did they ultimately die out? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
From what you can glean from Tina's descriptions of her mother? Create a brief character study of Tina's mother. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What made her abandon her daughters? How did she reconcile with them? What emotional damage was done? Explain.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)