|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first boy Tina loved?
2. How old was Tina when she joined the Baptist Church choir in Springdale, Tennessee?
3. Why did Bonnie not last as an Ikette?
4. What did Ike do with the $40,000 upfront money from a recording contract?
5. How long do Tina's parents live away from their daughters due to work circumstances?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the state of Ike and Tina's personal relationship in Los Angeles?
2. Who was Rhonda Graam and what was her role in Ike and Tina's life?
3. Why did Ike and his band settle in St. Louis, Missouri?
4. What were the circumstances under which Anna Mae transitioned into Tina Turner?
5. What happened the first and only time Ike hired a white girl to be an Ikette?
6. Describe Tina Turner as a child.
7. How did Tina meet Ike Turner?
8. How did Tina meet her first love, Harry Taylor?
9. What were the circumstances under which Ike first beat Tina?
10. What was Ike and Tina's household like in Los Angeles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From what you can glean from Tina's descriptions of her mother? Create a brief character study of Tina's mother. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What made her abandon her daughters? How did she reconcile with them? What emotional damage was done? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Prejudice and discrimination against Negroes was a fact of life during Tina's childhood and early career. What limitations did Tina struggle against? How did racial discrimination hold her back? How did Ike and Tina capitalize on being black in the music world? What prejudices did they experience even when they were celebrities? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Tina Turner was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Tina's life through this book, what were her biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did she manage through them? How did her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)