|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first instrument Ike played?
2. Tina feels that her mother did not want ________________.
3. To what city does Tina travel to visit her parents while they are working away?
4. How many kids were living with Ike and Tina in the Los Angeles house?
5. What club did Ike and Tina play in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What roles did Ike and Tina assume in the revue when they moved to Los Angeles?
2. Where did the Bullock family live after the jobs ended in Nashville?
3. When did Ike and Tina begin their relationship?
4. What were the circumstances under which Anna Mae transitioned into Tina Turner?
5. What happened the first and only time Ike hired a white girl to be an Ikette?
6. How did Ike form his group, the Kings of Rhythm, and what influence did B.B. King have on his career?
7. What was Ike Turner's given name and where was he born?
8. What type of music did Tina like during high school in the 1950s?
9. Why did Tina's parents live away from their daughters for two years?
10. How did Tina meet her first love, Harry Taylor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact did Tina's estranged relationship with her mother have on Tina's life? What emotional wounds did Tina suffer? How did the rejection by her mother impact Tina's relationships with other people? Was it part of Tina's inability to stand up to Ike and stop the abuse? Did Tina feel like she deserved to be abused because she was unworthy? State your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Tina Turner was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Tina's life through this book, what were her biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did she manage through them? How did her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
From what you can glean from Tina's descriptions of her mother? Create a brief character study of Tina's mother. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What made her abandon her daughters? How did she reconcile with them? What emotional damage was done? Explain.
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)