|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Ike enjoy being in Los Angeles?
2. How did Tina meet Ike Turner?
3. What is the name of Tina's second child?
4. Why was Tina hospitalized which ended up stressing Ike?
5. What did Ike do when some boys harassed Bonnie in Kentucky?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tina meet her first love, Harry Taylor?
2. What was Ike and Tina's household like in Los Angeles?
3. What roles did Ike and Tina assume in the revue when they moved to Los Angeles?
4. What did Tina like about staying with her grandmother?
5. Who was Rhonda Graam and what was her role in Ike and Tina's life?
6. How did Ike form his group, the Kings of Rhythm, and what influence did B.B. King have on his career?
7. Why did Tina's parents live away from their daughters for two years?
8. How did Tina meet Ike Turner?
9. How did Ike meet Tina?
10. What was the state of Ike and Tina's personal relationship in Los Angeles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From what you can glean from Tina's descriptions of her mother? Create a brief character study of Tina's mother. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What made her abandon her daughters? How did she reconcile with them? What emotional damage was done? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The search for love is an important element in Tina's life. How was Tina isolated as a child? How did she feel about her strained relationship with her mother? Why did she get involved with Ike Turner? Is there a pattern in Tina's destructive life choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the cultural climate in America in the late 1950s and why the time was right for Ike and Tina's music to emerge. What were the rebellious trends coming out of California at the time? Why was black music considered elite among young white kids during this time?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)