|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city was Ike Turner born?
2. Which of the following physical characteristics was Tina born with?
3. What activity did Tina participate in during high school?
4. What is the name of Tina's second child?
5. Where do Tina's parents go to apply for work in a plant to make military materials?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances of Ike and Tina's marriage?
2. What was Ike Turner's given name and where was he born?
3. When did Ike and Tina begin their relationship?
4. Where did the Bullock family live after the jobs ended in Nashville?
5. What were the circumstances under which Ike first beat Tina?
6. What happened the first and only time Ike hired a white girl to be an Ikette?
7. What was the state of Ike and Tina's personal relationship in Los Angeles?
8. How did Tina meet her first love, Harry Taylor?
9. How did wigs become a signature part of Tina's act?
10. What was Tina Turner's given name and where was she born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ike and Tina's careers blossomed in the 1960s, a time of great upheaval in America. What were the issues facing black people in the 1960s? How were Ike and Tina discriminated against in their career? What impact did the Civil Rights movement have on their lives short term and long term? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the cultural climate in America in the late 1950s and why the time was right for Ike and Tina's music to emerge. What were the rebellious trends coming out of California at the time? Why was black music considered elite among young white kids during this time?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Tina was such a sensation during the 1960s. What was it about her talent and style that was so distinctive? How was she different from so many of the other girls on the music scene at the time? How much of Tina's performance was inherent and how much was for show?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)