|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What temperature is Robbie’s metal skin kept at by high resistance coils in Chapter One, “Robbie”?
(a) 70 degrees.
(b) 96.8 degrees.
(c) 75 degrees.
(d) 92.8 degrees.
2. What is the second of the Three Laws of Robotics?
(a) A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
(b) A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
(c) A robot must strive to supersede authority from humankind when necessary.
(d) A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the other two Laws.
3. Who had first taken out incorporation papers for U. S. Robot and Mechanical Men, Inc., according to the narrator in the Introduction?
(a) Stephen Byerley.
(b) Francis Quinn.
(c) Major-General Kallner.
(d) Lawrence Robertson.
4. How long does Gloria’s father say Robbie has been with Gloria in Chapter One, “Robbie”?
(a) 6 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 5 years.
5. Cutie refers to what as “the Master” in “Reason”?
(a) The Television.
(b) The Space Ship.
(c) The Sun.
(d) The Energy Converter.
6. What year is it in the Introduction to the novel?
7. In what year was the Second Mercury Expedition sent out, according to Susan Calvin?
8. According to Donovan in “Runaround,” he sent Speedy to the nearest mining pool which was how many miles away from Donovan and Powell’s location in “Runaround”?
9. What does Donovan suggest putting on Cutie’s joints in order to short-circuit him in “Reason”?
(a) Apple juice.
(b) Nitric acid.
(c) Sulfuric acid.
10. What is Speedy mining for when he disappears in “Runaround”?
11. When Donovan and Powell first locate Speedy in “Runaround,” Donovan describes him as sounding what?
12. What is the first of the Three Laws of Robotics?
(a) A robot must strive to supersede authority from humankind when necessary.
(b) A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the other two Laws.
(c) A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
(d) A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
13. In the beginning of “Runaround,” Donovan informs Powell that Speedy has been gone for how many hours?
14. Gloria is playing what game with Robbie in the beginning of Chapter One, "Robbie”?
(b) Chutes and Ladders.
(c) Hide and seek.
15. The subordinate robots in “Reason” believe that Cutie is what?
(a) A prophet.
(b) A human.
(d) A dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the general manager that takes Gloria’s family on a tour of a robot manufacturing company in Chapter One, “Robbie”?
2. In what year did Susan Calvin earn her Ph.D., according to the narrator of the Introduction?
3. Where is the officer’s room described as being located in “Reason”?
4. The narrator states in “Runaround” that it is one of Gregory Powell’s favorite platitudes that nothing is to be gained from what?
5. How old was Susan Calvin when she was part of the “particular Psycho-Math seminar” described by the narrator in the Introduction?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)