|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Experience Gibb's uncle drinking in her story, "1952, And Other Years"?
2. What vocation does Louise Thornton follow?
3. Whose skeleton does R.C. see lying on the bed in "Remembering Dream"?
4. How old is Maggie Hoyal when her father started abusing her?
5. What is the name of Maya Angelou's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Experience Gibbs in second grade?
2. What happens in "The Window's Netting"?
3. What was Maggie Hoyal's childhood like and what caused her to write about her abuse?
4. Why did Blanche Woodbury's brother blame her for their mother's illness?
5. What was R.C.'s childhood like?
6. What happens in the poem by Yarrow Morgan?
7. What was Jude Brister's childhood like?
8. What happens after Mr. Freeman rapes Maya Angelou?
9. Why didn't Experience Gibbs want to contribute to this anthology?
10. What happens in "These Are the Things I remember" when Maggie tells her mother about what her father did to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role that trust should play in the life of a child and how is this concept both perverted and obliterated for the victims of sexual abuse in this anthology?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss some of the things that these women lost, sometimes even through the next generation, as a result of childhood abuse.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between guilt and shame and the role these emotions played in the pieces throughout the anthology. Give examples by using quotes to support your discussion.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)