|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Yarrow Morgan's poem?
2. Maya Angelou compares Mr. Freeman to what animal?
3. What is Jill Morgan addicted to as a child?
4. Maggie Hoyal's father took her virginity as "payment" for what?
5. How old is Lynn Swenson when her grandfather molests her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Louise Thornton's family learn about Uncle Karl's abuse and what did they do about it?
2. What two animals does Maya Angelou compare Mr. Freeman to In "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"?
3. What is Marty O. Dyke's poem "Yeah I'm Blaming You" about?
4. What does Lynn Swenson describe in her poem called "From My Half-Sleep"?
5. What happens to Experience Gibbs in second grade?
6. What led Jean Monroe to finally tell her mother about her father's abuse?
7. What happens in "These Are the Things I remember" when Maggie tells her mother about what her father did to her?
8. How does Bella Moon describe the abuse she suffered in her story "Silence"?
9. How did Jill Morgan finally end the brutal abuse at the hands of her father and mother?
10. How did Desi's grandmother abuse her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role that trust should play in the life of a child and how is this concept both perverted and obliterated for the victims of sexual abuse in this anthology?
Essay Topic 2
According to Ellen Bass in the Introduction, why is there such a stigma associated with childhood sexual abuse? Why does Bass contend that openly discussing sexual abuse will help diminish this stigma and perhaps even the frequency with which the abuse is perpetrated? Do you agree or disagree?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss which story resonated with you the most and why.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)