|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Uncle Karl's nickname for Louise Thornton?
2. How old is Blanche Woodbury when her mother was committed to a psychiatric care center?
3. Where does Carrie go with her father and brother in "The Window's Netting"?
4. Who is Mr. Freeman in "I know Why the Caged Bird Sings"?
5. Where does Maya Angelou live in "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jude Brister's childhood like?
2. What is "Remembering Dream" about?
3. What is some of the success Maya Angelou has experienced in her life?
4. Why does Maya stop talking for a time after Mr. Freeman's trial?
5. Why does Maya Angelou enjoy Mr. Freeman holding her the first time he abuses her?
6. Why didn't Experience Gibbs want to contribute to this anthology?
7. How does Bella Moon describe the abuse she suffered in her story "Silence"?
8. What is Marty O. Dyke's poem "Yeah I'm Blaming You" about?
9. Why did Blanche Woodbury's brother blame her for their mother's illness?
10. What was Yarrow Morgan's childhood like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Should these women be defined as having survived the abuse or defined by what they accomplished in their lives, despite the abuse? Can one truly be separated from the other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss which story resonated with you the most and why.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism used in the pieces "Remembering Dream" and "My Half Sleep." What distance to the event do these symbols create for both the author and the reader?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)