|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cities does Jill Morgan live in the five years of moving after coming home from the hospital?
2. What color is the brother's comb in Blanche Woodbury's poem, "My Brother"?
3. How old is Blanche Woodbury's brother when he began abusing her?
4. What is Yarrow Morgan's mother's reaction to being told about the abuse?
5. Who is crying in "Remember Dream"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were both Jill Morgan's parents responsible for her abuse?
2. What was Yarrow Morgan's childhood like?
3. What events does Jean Monroe describe in "California Daughter/1950"?
4. What happens in the poem by Yarrow Morgan?
5. How did Louise Thornton's family learn about Uncle Karl's abuse and what did they do about it?
6. What does Lynn Swenson come to understand about her mother as she comes to term with her own abuse?
7. What led Jean Monroe to finally tell her mother about her father's abuse?
8. What happens to Maggie at age fourteen in "These Are the Things I Remember"?
9. What does Lynn Swenson describe in her poem called "From My Half-Sleep"?
10. What was Maggie Hoyal's childhood like and what caused her to write about her abuse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did these experiences serve as a lens for both how these women saw the world and themselves? What did these women gain from these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Should these women be defined as having survived the abuse or defined by what they accomplished in their lives, despite the abuse? Can one truly be separated from the other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss three pieces in the anthology in terms of the imagery used and how imagery impacts both the literary and thematic aspects of the work.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)