|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Maya Angelou spend her Saturdays in "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"?
2. Where does Carrie go with her father and brother in "The Window's Netting"?
3. What is the title of Yarrow Morgan's poem?
4. Which of Maggie Hoyal's brother's goes to live with her mother?
5. How old is Yarrow Morgan when she first told her mother about the abuse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jill Morgan finally end the brutal abuse at the hands of her father and mother?
2. What happens to Maggie at age fourteen in "These Are the Things I Remember"?
3. What happens to Experience Gibbs in second grade?
4. What is "Remembering Dream" about?
5. What does Lynn Swenson describe in her poem called "From My Half-Sleep"?
6. What two animals does Maya Angelou compare Mr. Freeman to In "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"?
7. What was Jude Brister's childhood like?
8. What was Maggie Hoyal's childhood like and what caused her to write about her abuse?
9. Under what circumstances was Jill Morgan hospitalized for several weeks at age four?
10. What was R.C.'s childhood like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of powerlessness and empowerment in terms of five women in the anthology. Give specific examples of themes from the pieces chosen for your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the purpose of this analogy, the effectiveness of the pieces chosen and whether that purpose was accomplished. Give specific examples of analogies from the pieces chosen for your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss which story resonated with you the most and why.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)