|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the grandfather watch undress in the poem "From My Half Sleep"?
2. What is Uncle Karl's nickname for Louise Thornton?
3. The poem "From My Half Sleep" starts with Lynn lying ____________.
4. How old is Maya Angelou in "I know Why the Caged Bird Sings"?
5. What is Yarrow Morgan's mother's reaction to being told about the abuse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in "These Are the Things I remember" when Maggie tells her mother about what her father did to her?
2. How were both Jill Morgan's parents responsible for her abuse?
3. Why is the idea of innocence important to Jake Gates in "And Now"?
4. Who were the Kanagys to Karen Asherah?
5. What was Ann Simonton's experience as a model?
6. Who is Kate Millett?
7. What does Lynn Swenson describe in her poem called "From My Half-Sleep"?
8. Why does Jana Vincenti's mother want to help her deal with the pain of the rape?
9. Under what circumstances does Billie Holiday end up in a bedroom with the man who rapes her?
10. What is the main thing Lois Phillips Hudson laments in her essay "Why Aren't There More Creative Women""?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism used in the pieces "Remembering Dream" and "My Half Sleep." What distance to the event do these symbols create for both the author and the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the purpose of this analogy, the effectiveness of the pieces chosen and whether that purpose was accomplished. Give specific examples of analogies from the pieces chosen for your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between guilt and shame and the role these emotions played in the pieces throughout the anthology. Give examples by using quotes to support your discussion.
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)