|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jill Morgan addicted to as a child?
2. How many autobiographical books did Maya Angelou write?
3. What is Jude Brister's grandmother's name?
4. How old is Blanche Woodbury's brother when he began abusing her?
5. Who threatens her father when Jill Morgan leaves the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the poem "Summer Vacation/Fifty Years Ago"?
2. What happens in "The Window's Netting"?
3. What was Honor Moore's childhood like?
4. Who is Kate Millett?
5. Why did Blanche Woodbury's brother blame her for their mother's illness?
6. Why is the idea of innocence important to Jake Gates in "And Now"?
7. What does Hummy tell Spring Flower really happened to her?
8. Why does Maya stop talking for a time after Mr. Freeman's trial?
9. What two animals does Maya Angelou compare Mr. Freeman to In "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"?
10. What happens in "The Fourth of July"?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the purpose of this analogy, the effectiveness of the pieces chosen and whether that purpose was accomplished. Give specific examples of analogies from the pieces chosen for your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What role does the media play in perpetuating the image of women as objects of sexual pleasure? Do you agree with Ellen Bass's indictments of the media and society made in the Introduction?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the allegorical implications of "A Totally White World." Compare the experience of Hummy to those of Maya Angelou and Billie Holiday.
This section contains 1,364 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)