|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could Lynn Swenson taste after her grandfather left her?
2. What does R.C. see in the middle of the withered wreath in "Remember Dream"?
3. How old is Maya Angelou in "I know Why the Caged Bird Sings"?
4. How many autobiographical books did Maya Angelou write?
5. What is the name of Maya Angelou's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Louise Thornton's family learn about Uncle Karl's abuse and what did they do about it?
2. How does Bella Moon describe the abuse she suffered in her story "Silence"?
3. What is "Remembering Dream" about?
4. What was Yarrow Morgan's childhood like?
5. What happens to Maggie at age fourteen in "These Are the Things I Remember"?
6. What happens in "These Are the Things I remember" when Maggie tells her mother about what her father did to her?
7. Under what circumstances was Jill Morgan hospitalized for several weeks at age four?
8. How did Jill Morgan finally end the brutal abuse at the hands of her father and mother?
9. What is some of the success Maya Angelou has experienced in her life?
10. How were both Jill Morgan's parents responsible for her abuse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Should these women be defined as having survived the abuse or defined by what they accomplished in their lives, despite the abuse? Can one truly be separated from the other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss three pieces in the anthology in terms of the imagery used and how imagery impacts both the literary and thematic aspects of the work.
Essay Topic 3
According to Ellen Bass in the Introduction, why is there such a stigma associated with childhood sexual abuse? Why does Bass contend that openly discussing sexual abuse will help diminish this stigma and perhaps even the frequency with which the abuse is perpetrated? Do you agree or disagree?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)