|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Desi born?
2. How many cities does Jill Morgan live in the five years of moving after coming home from the hospital?
3. Where does Maya Angelou's mother work?
4. Who else does Jude Brister discover her father had molested?
5. In what year is Maya Angelou the "Ladies Home Journal" Woman of the Year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was R.C.'s childhood like?
2. What events occur before Mr. Freeman rapes Maya Angelou?
3. What was Jude Brister's childhood like?
4. What does Lynn Swenson come to understand about her mother as she comes to term with her own abuse?
5. What was Yarrow Morgan's childhood like?
6. What happens after Mr. Freeman rapes Maya Angelou?
7. What led Jean Monroe to finally tell her mother about her father's abuse?
8. What is some of the success Maya Angelou has experienced in her life?
9. What was Maggie Hoyal's childhood like and what caused her to write about her abuse?
10. What happens in "The Window's Netting"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism used in the pieces "Remembering Dream" and "My Half Sleep." What distance to the event do these symbols create for both the author and the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss several pieces in terms of the role setting plays in the narrative of the abuse. Give specific examples from each piece that you discuss.
Essay Topic 3
According to Ellen Bass in the Introduction, why is there such a stigma associated with childhood sexual abuse? Why does Bass contend that openly discussing sexual abuse will help diminish this stigma and perhaps even the frequency with which the abuse is perpetrated? Do you agree or disagree?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)