|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Yarrow Morgan's mother's reaction to being told about the abuse?
2. Who is Marty O. Dyke blaming in her poem?
3. What is the title of Yarrow Morgan's poem?
4. Who is Greermar in "Remembering Dream"?
5. Where does Uncle Karl invite Louise Thornton's brother, Frank, to go with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was R.C.'s childhood like?
2. Why does Maya stop talking for a time after Mr. Freeman's trial?
3. How did Louise Thornton's family learn about Uncle Karl's abuse and what did they do about it?
4. What happens after Mr. Freeman rapes Maya Angelou?
5. Why does Maya Angelou enjoy Mr. Freeman holding her the first time he abuses her?
6. What happens to Maggie at age fourteen in "These Are the Things I Remember"?
7. What happens in "These Are the Things I remember" when Maggie tells her mother about what her father did to her?
8. What events occur before Mr. Freeman rapes Maya Angelou?
9. What happens to Experience Gibbs in second grade?
10. Why did Blanche Woodbury's brother blame her for their mother's illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of justice and injustice as depicted in several pieces in the anthology.
Essay Topic 2
According to Ellen Bass in the Introduction, why is there such a stigma associated with childhood sexual abuse? Why does Bass contend that openly discussing sexual abuse will help diminish this stigma and perhaps even the frequency with which the abuse is perpetrated? Do you agree or disagree?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss several pieces in terms of the role setting plays in the narrative of the abuse. Give specific examples from each piece that you discuss.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)