Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Lynn Swenson when her parents divorced?
2. Who does the grandfather watch undress in the poem "From My Half Sleep"?
3. Yarrow Morgan is born in _____________.
4. What does Maggie Hoyal tell her father is wrong with her to put him off for a while?
5. What is Uncle Karl's nickname for Louise Thornton?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lois Phillips Hudson molested in "Why Aren't There More Creative Women?"
2. What is the main thing Lois Phillips Hudson laments in her essay "Why Aren't There More Creative Women""?
3. What brought about the creation of "I Never Told Anyone"?
4. What happens to the little girl in Martha Roger's story "Street Fair"?
5. What did the priest's unwanted kiss cost Beverly Sky in "A Priest Kiss"?
6. What happens to Pat Parker in her story "Shoes"?
7. What two incidents with the priest did Beverly Sky have conflicting feelings about?
8. How does Bella Moon describe the abuse she suffered in her story "Silence"?
9. Who is Kate Millett?
10. What is Marty O. Dyke's poem "Yeah I'm Blaming You" about?
Discuss the relationship between guilt and shame and the role these emotions played in the pieces throughout the anthology. Give examples by using quotes to support your discussion.
Discuss the allegorical implications of "A Totally White World." Compare the experience of Hummy to those of Maya Angelou and Billie Holiday.
What role does the media play in perpetuating the image of women as objects of sexual pleasure? Do you agree with Ellen Bass's indictments of the media and society made in the Introduction?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)