|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Marty O. Dyke training to work as a printer?
2. Who is Mr. Freeman in "I know Why the Caged Bird Sings"?
3. Where does Lee rape Carrie in "The Window's Netting"?
4. What color is the brother's comb in Blanche Woodbury's poem, "My Brother"?
5. What does Marty O. Dyke accuse her father of in her poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Experience Gibbs want to contribute to this anthology?
2. Under what circumstances was Jill Morgan hospitalized for several weeks at age four?
3. What was Jude Brister's childhood like?
4. What is some of the success Maya Angelou has experienced in her life?
5. How did Desi's grandmother abuse her?
6. What happens to Experience Gibbs in second grade?
7. How did Louise Thornton's family learn about Uncle Karl's abuse and what did they do about it?
8. What is Marty O. Dyke's poem "Yeah I'm Blaming You" about?
9. What led Jean Monroe to finally tell her mother about her father's abuse?
10. What happens in "The Window's Netting"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did these experiences serve as a lens for both how these women saw the world and themselves? What did these women gain from these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the media play in perpetuating the image of women as objects of sexual pleasure? Do you agree with Ellen Bass's indictments of the media and society made in the Introduction?
Essay Topic 3
According to Ellen Bass in the Introduction, why is there such a stigma associated with childhood sexual abuse? Why does Bass contend that openly discussing sexual abuse will help diminish this stigma and perhaps even the frequency with which the abuse is perpetrated? Do you agree or disagree?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)