|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jean Monroe finally tell about the abuse?
2. Yarrow Morgan's poem describes Yarrow as a __________.
3. Where is Jude Brister born?
4. What is the name of Experience Gibb's uncle in "1952, And Other Years"?
5. Who threatens her father when Jill Morgan leaves the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what circumstances was Jill Morgan hospitalized for several weeks at age four?
2. What led Jean Monroe to finally tell her mother about her father's abuse?
3. How did Desi's grandmother abuse her?
4. What happens in "The Window's Netting"?
5. What was R.C.'s childhood like?
6. Why does Maya stop talking for a time after Mr. Freeman's trial?
7. What two animals does Maya Angelou compare Mr. Freeman to In "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"?
8. What happens in "These Are the Things I remember" when Maggie tells her mother about what her father did to her?
9. What brought about the creation of "I Never Told Anyone"?
10. What happens to Maggie at age fourteen in "These Are the Things I Remember"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did these experiences serve as a lens for both how these women saw the world and themselves? What did these women gain from these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role that trust should play in the life of a child and how is this concept both perverted and obliterated for the victims of sexual abuse in this anthology?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between guilt and shame and the role these emotions played in the pieces throughout the anthology. Give examples by using quotes to support your discussion.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)