|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Freeman in "I know Why the Caged Bird Sings"?
2. Who does the grandfather watch undress in the poem "From My Half Sleep"?
3. Who is crying in "Remember Dream"?
4. Where does Uncle Karl invite Louise Thornton's brother, Frank, to go with him?
5. What could Lynn Swenson taste after her grandfather left her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Marty O. Dyke's poem "Yeah I'm Blaming You" about?
2. Who is Kate Millett?
3. What happens after Mr. Freeman rapes Maya Angelou?
4. What happens in the story "Trophy Girl"?
5. Why does Maya Angelou enjoy Mr. Freeman holding her the first time he abuses her?
6. What was Honor Moore's childhood like?
7. Where does the story "In A Totally White World" begin?
8. What is some of the success Maya Angelou has experienced in her life?
9. Who molests Honor Moore?
10. What is "Remembering Dream" about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has reading this anthology helped form your view of child sexual abuse? What should be done to help survivors, both as children and adults, deal with the abuse? What should be done to punish or help the abusers?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of justice and injustice as depicted in several pieces in the anthology.
Essay Topic 3
According to Ellen Bass in the Introduction, why is there such a stigma associated with childhood sexual abuse? Why does Bass contend that openly discussing sexual abuse will help diminish this stigma and perhaps even the frequency with which the abuse is perpetrated? Do you agree or disagree?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)