|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does most of Yarrow Morgan's poem take place?
2. Who is Mr. Freeman in "I know Why the Caged Bird Sings"?
3. How old is Lynn Swenson when she started to write poetry?
4. Where does Louise Thornton's cousin Claire and her family live?
5. Where does Maya Angelou's mother work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the poem by Yarrow Morgan?
2. What brought about the creation of "I Never Told Anyone"?
3. What does Lynn Swenson come to understand about her mother as she comes to term with her own abuse?
4. What does Lynn Swenson describe in her poem called "From My Half-Sleep"?
5. What happens after Mr. Freeman rapes Maya Angelou?
6. What happens to Maggie at age fourteen in "These Are the Things I Remember"?
7. What is Marty O. Dyke's poem "Yeah I'm Blaming You" about?
8. What two animals does Maya Angelou compare Mr. Freeman to In "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"?
9. What was R.C.'s childhood like?
10. What led Jean Monroe to finally tell her mother about her father's abuse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss which story resonated with you the most and why.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between guilt and shame and the role these emotions played in the pieces throughout the anthology. Give examples by using quotes to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss several pieces in terms of the role setting plays in the narrative of the abuse. Give specific examples from each piece that you discuss.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)