|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jude Brister's grandmother's name?
2. How old is Maggie Hoyal when she runs away from home?
3. Maggie Hoyal's father took her virginity as "payment" for what?
4. How old is Yarrow Morgan when she first told her mother about the abuse?
5. What does R.C. see in the middle of the withered wreath in "Remember Dream"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lynn Swenson describe in her poem called "From My Half-Sleep"?
2. What happens in "These Are the Things I remember" when Maggie tells her mother about what her father did to her?
3. What was Yarrow Morgan's childhood like?
4. What does Lynn Swenson come to understand about her mother as she comes to term with her own abuse?
5. What is Marty O. Dyke's poem "Yeah I'm Blaming You" about?
6. How did Jill Morgan finally end the brutal abuse at the hands of her father and mother?
7. Why did Blanche Woodbury's brother blame her for their mother's illness?
8. What brought about the creation of "I Never Told Anyone"?
9. What led Jean Monroe to finally tell her mother about her father's abuse?
10. What was Jude Brister's childhood like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss which story resonated with you the most and why.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of powerlessness and empowerment in terms of five women in the anthology. Give specific examples of themes from the pieces chosen for your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the purpose of this analogy, the effectiveness of the pieces chosen and whether that purpose was accomplished. Give specific examples of analogies from the pieces chosen for your discussion.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)