|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maya Angelou do on the stand during Mr. Freeman's trial?
2. What is Uncle Karl's nickname for Louise Thornton?
3. Where is Desi born?
4. What is the name of Experience Gibb's uncle in "1952, And Other Years"?
5. Who does R.C. bury in the "Remembering Dream"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events occur before Mr. Freeman rapes Maya Angelou?
2. Why did Blanche Woodbury's brother blame her for their mother's illness?
3. What happens in "These Are the Things I remember" when Maggie tells her mother about what her father did to her?
4. Why does Maya stop talking for a time after Mr. Freeman's trial?
5. What does Lynn Swenson describe in her poem called "From My Half-Sleep"?
6. Why does Maya Angelou enjoy Mr. Freeman holding her the first time he abuses her?
7. What was Jude Brister's childhood like?
8. How did Louise Thornton's family learn about Uncle Karl's abuse and what did they do about it?
9. How were both Jill Morgan's parents responsible for her abuse?
10. What is Marty O. Dyke's poem "Yeah I'm Blaming You" about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between guilt and shame and the role these emotions played in the pieces throughout the anthology. Give examples by using quotes to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss some of the things that these women lost, sometimes even through the next generation, as a result of childhood abuse.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss several pieces in terms of the role setting plays in the narrative of the abuse. Give specific examples from each piece that you discuss.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)