|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Blanche Woodbury when her mother was committed to a psychiatric care center?
2. How long is Jill Morgan in the hospital after her father rapes her for the first time?
3. Who does the grandfather watch undress in the poem "From My Half Sleep"?
4. What does Maya Angelou's mother think is wrong with her daughter after the rape?
5. Where is Marty O. Dyke born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Blanche Woodbury's brother blame her for their mother's illness?
2. Under what circumstances was Jill Morgan hospitalized for several weeks at age four?
3. What happens to Maggie at age fourteen in "These Are the Things I Remember"?
4. What events occur before Mr. Freeman rapes Maya Angelou?
5. Why does Maya Angelou enjoy Mr. Freeman holding her the first time he abuses her?
6. What led Jean Monroe to finally tell her mother about her father's abuse?
7. What was R.C.'s childhood like?
8. What happens in "The Window's Netting"?
9. How did Desi's grandmother abuse her?
10. How did Louise Thornton's family learn about Uncle Karl's abuse and what did they do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did these experiences serve as a lens for both how these women saw the world and themselves? What did these women gain from these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
How has reading this anthology helped form your view of child sexual abuse? What should be done to help survivors, both as children and adults, deal with the abuse? What should be done to punish or help the abusers?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss three pieces in the anthology in terms of the imagery used and how imagery impacts both the literary and thematic aspects of the work.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)