|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maggie Hoyal's mother is a _______________.
2. Who else does Jude Brister discover her father had molested?
3. Where does most of Yarrow Morgan's poem take place?
4. What is the name of Carrie's brother in "The Window's Netting"?
5. Maya Angelou's mother trained to be a _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What events does Jean Monroe describe in "California Daughter/1950"?
2. What happens in "These Are the Things I remember" when Maggie tells her mother about what her father did to her?
3. What led Jean Monroe to finally tell her mother about her father's abuse?
4. What is "Remembering Dream" about?
5. What happens in the poem by Yarrow Morgan?
6. What happens to Maggie at age fourteen in "These Are the Things I Remember"?
7. What happens to Experience Gibbs in second grade?
8. Under what circumstances was Jill Morgan hospitalized for several weeks at age four?
9. Why did Blanche Woodbury's brother blame her for their mother's illness?
10. How were both Jill Morgan's parents responsible for her abuse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of justice and injustice as depicted in several pieces in the anthology.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss some of the things that these women lost, sometimes even through the next generation, as a result of childhood abuse.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between guilt and shame and the role these emotions played in the pieces throughout the anthology. Give examples by using quotes to support your discussion.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)