|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Freeman tell Maya Angelou happened after he molests her the first time?
2. Where does Louise Thornton's cousin Claire and her family live?
3. Where does Maya Angelou's mother work?
4. How old is Lynn Swenson when her grandfather molests her?
5. What does R.C. lift out the window in "Remembering Dream"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Karen Asherah not tell her mother about Daddy Kanagy's unwanted touches?
2. What is Marty O. Dyke's poem "Yeah I'm Blaming You" about?
3. What two animals does Maya Angelou compare Mr. Freeman to In "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"?
4. How were both Jill Morgan's parents responsible for her abuse?
5. Why does Maya Angelou enjoy Mr. Freeman holding her the first time he abuses her?
6. What happens in the poem "Summer Vacation/Fifty Years Ago"?
7. What happens in "The Window's Netting"?
8. What does Lynn Swenson describe in her poem called "From My Half-Sleep"?
9. What is the main thing Lois Phillips Hudson laments in her essay "Why Aren't There More Creative Women""?
10. What happens in "These Are the Things I remember" when Maggie tells her mother about what her father did to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the generational effect of child sexual abuse as demonstrated in the lives of these women and what can be done to change this pattern?
Essay Topic 2
What is the paradox that often exists for children who experienced sexual abuse? How does this paradox affect both how they endure the abuse and how they handle the aftermath?
Essay Topic 3
How did these experiences serve as a lens for both how these women saw the world and themselves? What did these women gain from these experiences?
This section contains 1,325 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)