|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem "From My Half Sleep" starts with Lynn lying ____________.
2. What color is the brother's comb in Blanche Woodbury's poem, "My Brother"?
3. Who does R.C. bury in the "Remembering Dream"?
4. What does the netting in "The Window's Netting" refer to?
5. Maya Angelou's mother trained to be a _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is some of the success Maya Angelou has experienced in her life?
2. How were both Jill Morgan's parents responsible for her abuse?
3. What was Yarrow Morgan's childhood like?
4. How did Louise Thornton's family learn about Uncle Karl's abuse and what did they do about it?
5. What happens to Maggie at age fourteen in "These Are the Things I Remember"?
6. Why didn't Experience Gibbs want to contribute to this anthology?
7. What events does Jean Monroe describe in "California Daughter/1950"?
8. What happens in the poem by Yarrow Morgan?
9. What led Jean Monroe to finally tell her mother about her father's abuse?
10. Why does Maya stop talking for a time after Mr. Freeman's trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Ellen Bass in the Introduction, why is there such a stigma associated with childhood sexual abuse? Why does Bass contend that openly discussing sexual abuse will help diminish this stigma and perhaps even the frequency with which the abuse is perpetrated? Do you agree or disagree?
Essay Topic 2
What is the generational effect of child sexual abuse as demonstrated in the lives of these women and what can be done to change this pattern?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss which story resonated with you the most and why.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)