|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year is Maya Angelou the "Ladies Home Journal" Woman of the Year?
2. How old is Carrie in "The Window's Netting"?
3. Who does R.C. bury in the "Remembering Dream"?
4. How old is Maggie Hoyal when she runs away from home?
5. The story "These are the Things I Remember" starts with Maggie Hoyal's memory of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Experience Gibbs in second grade?
2. What brought about the creation of "I Never Told Anyone"?
3. What was Jude Brister's childhood like?
4. Why didn't Experience Gibbs want to contribute to this anthology?
5. What is "Remembering Dream" about?
6. Why does Maya Angelou enjoy Mr. Freeman holding her the first time he abuses her?
7. What does Lynn Swenson come to understand about her mother as she comes to term with her own abuse?
8. What is Marty O. Dyke's poem "Yeah I'm Blaming You" about?
9. What was Yarrow Morgan's childhood like?
10. Why did Blanche Woodbury's brother blame her for their mother's illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss which story resonated with you the most and why.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the more brutal stories of abuse in "It Began for Me" and "A Totally White World" in terms of tone and thematic content.
Essay Topic 3
What role does the media play in perpetuating the image of women as objects of sexual pleasure? Do you agree with Ellen Bass's indictments of the media and society made in the Introduction?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)