|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the old phobia that Dominick has to face in addition to the shocking image he sees while at the Rood's house?
2. Because Papa was able to stop ____________, he is promoted to a nighttime supervisor at Plant 2.
3. The priest reminds Papa of his earliest intentions of becoming a __________, though he never did.
4. Where does Papa hope to get Prosperine a job in order to make money for the household?
5. The players at the card game talk about breaking the __________ of women, just in the same way one might do with a horse.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ray offer to help Dominick do when he is showing uncommon concern for him?
2. Who is revealed as being Dominick's father when Ray breaks his promise to Ma and tells Dominick?
3. What is the second child that Ignazia gives birth to, an obvious baby from another partner?
4. What is the warning that Ralph gives to Dominick when he phones him up secretly?
5. How does Papa become the first Italian boss in the textile mill where he works, according to his memoir?
6. What does Pasquale do which makes Papa so upset that he begins to weep for Pasquale?
7. What does Papa do since he can not trust Prosperine to not poison him as they are living together?
8. What happens to tear out Dominick's stitches during the time that Dominick was supposed to paint the Rood's house?
9. Why is Vincenzo killed after Papa decides to disown him instead of shaming him?
10. What does Papa find out about Prosperine and Ignazia has he searches the kitchen for poison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dominick is told that Thomas' new doctors are very good, but that he will not be out quickly as there is a new political climate at the center.
Part 1: Do you think that the political climate at a care center should affect the patients?
Part 2: Why do you think Thomas' care is altered by the political climate?
Part 3: How do you think that Thomas' care might be different if there was no political climate?
Essay Topic 2
Prosperine puts poison and glass into Selvi's food in order to kill him and he dies in agony.
Part 1: Why do you think Prosperine wants to kill Selvi?
Part 2: Do you think that Prosperine had a good reason to kill Selvi?
Part 3: How do you think the problems between the two might have been worked out more effectively?
Essay Topic 3
There seems to be a strained relationship between the brothers and their stepfather, though it does not seem unrealistic.
Part 1: Why do you think the twins have so much trouble getting along with their stepfather?
Part 2: Do you think the stepfather is doing all he can for his stepsons?
Part 3: Why do you think the relationship between a stepparent and a stepchild is different than the relationship between a biological father and son?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)