|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Papa does not talk about the two __________ women with whom he lives when he does go into confession.
2. Who is the attendant that has been ignoring Thomas in the rec room when Dominick sees his brother?
3. Papa is told that he will work alone and that he will have to work twice as hard, so he does and becomes a __________.
4. Who does Dominick think that he passes when he is driving alone to the painting job?
5. What does Sheffer bring for Dominick to use in order to meet with Thomas before his hearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Ignazia finally found after she leaves and the dog has been poisoned after her departure?
2. What does Papa receive during the blessing of the school, which overwhelms him?
3. What does Dominick evade when he is talking with Patel at the beginning of this section of the story?
4. What is the warning that Ralph gives to Dominick when he phones him up secretly?
5. Why is Vincenzo killed after Papa decides to disown him instead of shaming him?
6. What does Papa refuse to do when he finds out that Ignazia is pregnant?
7. What is the thing that Papa beats Ignazia for, according to his memoir, in this story?
8. What is the surprise that Dominick finds when he returns home on the eve of Thomas' hearing?
9. How did Dominick get Thomas in trouble when they were kids and they were in mass with Ray and Ma?
10. What does Papa find out about Prosperine and Ignazia has he searches the kitchen for poison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The choice that Thomas makes in order to protest the war for himself is a drastic one.
Part 1: Why do you think Thomas makes the choice he does in order to protest the war?
Part 2: What might you have done if you didn't want anyone to fight in a war anymore?
Part 3: Do you think there are other people like Thomas in the military today?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, there are several myths brought in, including Shiva, the god of destruction.
Part 1: Why do you think these myths and stories are brought into the book?
Part 2: How does Shiva apply to the situation with Thomas and Dominick?
Part 3: Are there any other mythologies or stories which you think might apply to the brothers?
Essay Topic 3
Thomas believes that Dominick is singled out for abuse because he does not defend himself.
Part 1: Why do you think Thomas believes Dominick can't defend himself?
Part 2: Do you think people who can't defend themselves are more likely to be hurt?
Part 3: What do you think might have happened if Dominick were to fight back?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)