|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is irreverent when he enters into New York, which causes him to get backhanded?
2. In a dream, Dominick dreams about hanging Thomas, who turns into a forgiving ___________.
3. Also known as WASPs, this group, ______________, flocks to the ballot box and Papa is blamed for the lost election.
4. Papa is told that he will work alone and that he will have to work twice as hard, so he does and becomes a __________.
5. Papa does not talk about the two __________ women with whom he lives when he does go into confession.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Vincenzo killed after Papa decides to disown him instead of shaming him?
2. What does Papa receive during the blessing of the school, which overwhelms him?
3. What does Sheffer tell Dominick about the possible future of the mental health facility, in this story?
4. What does Dominick evade when he is talking with Patel at the beginning of this section of the story?
5. What does Ray offer to help Dominick do when he is showing uncommon concern for him?
6. What does Papa refuse to do when he finds out that Ignazia is pregnant?
7. What does Papa do since he can not trust Prosperine to not poison him as they are living together?
8. What is the warning that Ralph gives to Dominick when he phones him up secretly?
9. What is the second child that Ignazia gives birth to, an obvious baby from another partner?
10. What does Dominick see when he climbs to the third story in order to paint the Roods' house anyway?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dominick feels bad for not sticking up for a friend in his class when he was a kid.
Part 1: Why do you think Dominick feels bad for not sticking up for a kid in his class?
Part 2: How do you think Dominick's life might have changed if he were to stick up for this kid in his class?
Part 3: Why do you think that Dominick feels the need to stick up for others in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between Dominick and Thomas is a loving one, though perhaps not in the conventional way.
Part 1: Why do you think Dominick continues to care for his brother?
Part 2: Do you think that you could stand by your brother if he had as many problems as Thomas does?
Part 3: How do you think Dominick could be handling his brother better in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Ma seems to be nervous about telling the twins the name of their real father, so she keeps this a secret for a while.
Part 1: Why do you think that Ma evades the question of who the twins' father really is?
Part 2: Do you think it's right for a mother to not tell her sons who their father is?
Part 3: What do you think you might have done if you were not told who your father was and you wanted to know?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)