|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Papa decide to thank for all of his blessings when the archbishop comes to bless the school?
2. When Dominick finally falls asleep after his long drive, he dreams of unbaptized ____________ trapped under the ice.
3. Dominick notes that it is an interesting coincidence that Papa worked with a ______________ one summer as did the twins.
4. What did Thomas bruise on Sheffer, according to her appearance when she comes to visit Dominick?
5. What are Papa's friends trying to talk him into, though he is trying to be firm about his decision?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Papa do since he can not trust Prosperine to not poison him as they are living together?
2. What does Ray offer to help Dominick do when he is showing uncommon concern for him?
3. What story has Dominick been reading when he comes into Patel's office for a new appointment?
4. How did Dominick get Thomas in trouble when they were kids and they were in mass with Ray and Ma?
5. What does Dominick ask Ralph to do for him after he meets with Patel to talk about Thomas?
6. What does Dominick evade when he is talking with Patel at the beginning of this section of the story?
7. What does Dominick see when he climbs to the third story in order to paint the Roods' house anyway?
8. What does Pasquale do which makes Papa so upset that he begins to weep for Pasquale?
9. Who is revealed as being Dominick's father when Ray breaks his promise to Ma and tells Dominick?
10. What is the warning that Ralph gives to Dominick when he phones him up secretly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story includes a number of flashbacks about the life of the brothers as they were growing up.
Part 1: Why do you think the author felt it was necessary to include flashbacks?
Part 2: Do you agree that the flashbacks help the story come to life for the reader?
Part 3: How do you think the story might have changed if the reader doesn't find out anything about the history of the brothers?
Essay Topic 2
There seems to be a strained relationship between the brothers and their stepfather, though it does not seem unrealistic.
Part 1: Why do you think the twins have so much trouble getting along with their stepfather?
Part 2: Do you think the stepfather is doing all he can for his stepsons?
Part 3: Why do you think the relationship between a stepparent and a stepchild is different than the relationship between a biological father and son?
Essay Topic 3
Dominick feels that by recalling the past, he might yet be able to forgive himself for what has happened.
Part 1: Why do you think recalling the past might be helpful?
Part 2: Do you think you need to remember your past in order to forgive yourself?
Part 3: How might you forgive yourself for something bad you have done in the past?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)