|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Papa is told that he will work alone and that he will have to work twice as hard, so he does and becomes a __________.
2. Guglielmo assigns Papa the task of _________________ in order to receive penance for the sins he's committed in his life.
3. What did Thomas and Dominick have to do in order to go to All Saint's Mass in the morning?
4. What does Thomas want from the Indian cemetery in order to cleanse his brain?
5. When Thomas dies, Dominick wonders if he is still a ___________ since his brother is now gone.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dominick ask Ralph to do for him after he meets with Patel to talk about Thomas?
2. How did Dominick get Thomas in trouble when they were kids and they were in mass with Ray and Ma?
3. What is the incident which makes Papa finally go to confession after he begins to think about how far he has strayed?
4. What is the thing that Papa beats Ignazia for, according to his memoir, in this story?
5. What does Ray ask for when he does not recognize Dominick when he visits him, in this story?
6. Who fails to show up when Dominick and Ray are making funeral arrangements, in this story?
7. What does Dominick see when he climbs to the third story in order to paint the Roods' house anyway?
8. What story has Dominick been reading when he comes into Patel's office for a new appointment?
9. How does Papa become the first Italian boss in the textile mill where he works, according to his memoir?
10. Why is Vincenzo killed after Papa decides to disown him instead of shaming him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ray seems to mock the twins, no matter what they do or how they act in their lives, causing them to never feel completely loved or accepted.
Part 1: Why do you think Ray is unaccepting of the twins, no matter what they do?
Part 2: Why do you think Ray mocks Dominick for making the dean's list in school?
Part 3: Why do you think Ray reprimands Thomas for not getting better grades in school?
Essay Topic 2
Dominick feels that by recalling the past, he might yet be able to forgive himself for what has happened.
Part 1: Why do you think recalling the past might be helpful?
Part 2: Do you think you need to remember your past in order to forgive yourself?
Part 3: How might you forgive yourself for something bad you have done in the past?
Essay Topic 3
The story includes a number of flashbacks about the life of the brothers as they were growing up.
Part 1: Why do you think the author felt it was necessary to include flashbacks?
Part 2: Do you agree that the flashbacks help the story come to life for the reader?
Part 3: How do you think the story might have changed if the reader doesn't find out anything about the history of the brothers?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)