|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papa decline again and again, though it is said to be the key to serenity?
2. The players at the card game talk about breaking the __________ of women, just in the same way one might do with a horse.
3. Because Papa was able to stop ____________, he is promoted to a nighttime supervisor at Plant 2.
4. What does Thomas do whenever anyone tries to ask a question of him during the meeting?
5. Who does Papa decide to thank for all of his blessings when the archbishop comes to bless the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who fails to show up when Dominick and Ray are making funeral arrangements, in this story?
2. What does Papa refuse to do when he finds out that Ignazia is pregnant?
3. What does Ray offer to help Dominick do when he is showing uncommon concern for him?
4. How does Papa become the first Italian boss in the textile mill where he works, according to his memoir?
5. Why is Vincenzo killed after Papa decides to disown him instead of shaming him?
6. What does Sheffer tell Dominick about the possible future of the mental health facility, in this story?
7. What does Papa find out about Prosperine and Ignazia has he searches the kitchen for poison?
8. What is the surprise that Dominick finds when he returns home on the eve of Thomas' hearing?
9. What does Dominick evade when he is talking with Patel at the beginning of this section of the story?
10. What is the second child that Ignazia gives birth to, an obvious baby from another partner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The choice that Thomas makes in order to protest the war for himself is a drastic one.
Part 1: Why do you think Thomas makes the choice he does in order to protest the war?
Part 2: What might you have done if you didn't want anyone to fight in a war anymore?
Part 3: Do you think there are other people like Thomas in the military today?
Essay Topic 2
Dominick is told that Thomas' new doctors are very good, but that he will not be out quickly as there is a new political climate at the center.
Part 1: Do you think that the political climate at a care center should affect the patients?
Part 2: Why do you think Thomas' care is altered by the political climate?
Part 3: How do you think that Thomas' care might be different if there was no political climate?
Essay Topic 3
Papa decides to drown the monkey because it bites Papa, even though he promised Pasquale he would not.
Part 1: Why do you think Papa breaks the promise to Pasquale?
Part 2: Do you think drowning the monkey was an evil act of Papa or a necessary evil?
Part 3: How do you think Papa's life might have changed had he not drowned the monkey?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)