|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papa decline again and again, though it is said to be the key to serenity?
2. Who refuses to say how he will vote when it comes to Thomas' hearing about his release?
3. Papa agrees to get the Italian vote for ___________ if they men promise to track down Prosperine.
4. What did Thomas bruise on Sheffer, according to her appearance when she comes to visit Dominick?
5. What does Prosperine do after Papa beats Ignazia for the first time? She threatens to castrate him ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dominick ask Ralph to do for him after he meets with Patel to talk about Thomas?
2. What is the surprise that Dominick finds when he returns home on the eve of Thomas' hearing?
3. Where is Ignazia finally found after she leaves and the dog has been poisoned after her departure?
4. What is the incident which makes Papa finally go to confession after he begins to think about how far he has strayed?
5. Who fails to show up when Dominick and Ray are making funeral arrangements, in this story?
6. What does Papa do since he can not trust Prosperine to not poison him as they are living together?
7. What does Dominick see when he climbs to the third story in order to paint the Roods' house anyway?
8. What does Sheffer tell Dominick about the possible future of the mental health facility, in this story?
9. What does Papa refuse to do when he finds out that Ignazia is pregnant?
10. How did Dominick get Thomas in trouble when they were kids and they were in mass with Ray and Ma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Dominick and Thomas is a loving one, though perhaps not in the conventional way.
Part 1: Why do you think Dominick continues to care for his brother?
Part 2: Do you think that you could stand by your brother if he had as many problems as Thomas does?
Part 3: How do you think Dominick could be handling his brother better in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The choice that Thomas makes in order to protest the war for himself is a drastic one.
Part 1: Why do you think Thomas makes the choice he does in order to protest the war?
Part 2: What might you have done if you didn't want anyone to fight in a war anymore?
Part 3: Do you think there are other people like Thomas in the military today?
Essay Topic 3
Dominick steps in to help fend off the unwanted advances of a sailor and ends up meeting a woman he comes to love.
Part 1: Do you think that Dominick defended the woman because he liked her or because she was in danger?
Part 2: Why do you think Dominick was willing to put himself in harm's way?
Part 3: Do you think that you could step in to help someone you thought to be in trouble?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)