|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Papa agrees to get the Italian vote for ___________ if they men promise to track down Prosperine.
2. Also known as WASPs, this group, ______________, flocks to the ballot box and Papa is blamed for the lost election.
3. What does Ray do in response to the way the boys act in church, which Dominick shares with Patel?
4. Dominick notes that it is an interesting coincidence that Papa worked with a ______________ one summer as did the twins.
5. What is the problem that Dominick's hospital roommate continues to have as a result of a bleeding ulcer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story has Dominick been reading when he comes into Patel's office for a new appointment?
2. What does Dominick evade when he is talking with Patel at the beginning of this section of the story?
3. How did Dominick get Thomas in trouble when they were kids and they were in mass with Ray and Ma?
4. What does Papa refuse to do when he finds out that Ignazia is pregnant?
5. Why is Vincenzo killed after Papa decides to disown him instead of shaming him?
6. What is the incident which makes Papa finally go to confession after he begins to think about how far he has strayed?
7. What does Dominick see when he climbs to the third story in order to paint the Roods' house anyway?
8. What is the surprise that Dominick finds when he returns home on the eve of Thomas' hearing?
9. What does Pasquale do which makes Papa so upset that he begins to weep for Pasquale?
10. What does Ray ask for when he does not recognize Dominick when he visits him, in this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dominick can not return the 'I love you' from Thomas until after Thomas is asleep.
Part 1: Why do you think it's difficult for Dominick to say he loves his brother?
Part 2: Do you find it difficult to tell your siblings you love them?
Part 3: Do you think that Thomas knows his brother loves him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Thomas believes that Dominick is singled out for abuse because he does not defend himself.
Part 1: Why do you think Thomas believes Dominick can't defend himself?
Part 2: Do you think people who can't defend themselves are more likely to be hurt?
Part 3: What do you think might have happened if Dominick were to fight back?
Essay Topic 3
There seems to be a strained relationship between the brothers and their stepfather, though it does not seem unrealistic.
Part 1: Why do you think the twins have so much trouble getting along with their stepfather?
Part 2: Do you think the stepfather is doing all he can for his stepsons?
Part 3: Why do you think the relationship between a stepparent and a stepchild is different than the relationship between a biological father and son?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)