|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dominick call the current Persian Gulf war when it is brought up in conversation?
2. Who does Ignazia move in with downstairs during this part of the story?
3. What is the old phobia that Dominick has to face in addition to the shocking image he sees while at the Rood's house?
4. What does Thomas do whenever anyone tries to ask a question of him during the meeting?
5. Who does Dominick think that he passes when he is driving alone to the painting job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sheffer tell Dominick about the possible future of the mental health facility, in this story?
2. Why is Vincenzo killed after Papa decides to disown him instead of shaming him?
3. What is the surprise that Dominick finds when he returns home on the eve of Thomas' hearing?
4. What does Papa receive during the blessing of the school, which overwhelms him?
5. What is the incident which makes Papa finally go to confession after he begins to think about how far he has strayed?
6. Who is revealed as being Dominick's father when Ray breaks his promise to Ma and tells Dominick?
7. What is the warning that Ralph gives to Dominick when he phones him up secretly?
8. What does Papa find out about Prosperine and Ignazia has he searches the kitchen for poison?
9. What does Pasquale do which makes Papa so upset that he begins to weep for Pasquale?
10. What does Dominick evade when he is talking with Patel at the beginning of this section of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story includes a number of flashbacks about the life of the brothers as they were growing up.
Part 1: Why do you think the author felt it was necessary to include flashbacks?
Part 2: Do you agree that the flashbacks help the story come to life for the reader?
Part 3: How do you think the story might have changed if the reader doesn't find out anything about the history of the brothers?
Essay Topic 2
Dominick is sometimes angry about the way that he is always going to be linked to Thomas in some way.
Part 1: Do you think it's normal for a person to not want to be linked with a sibling?
Part 2: Why do you think Thomas is always going to be linked to Dominick, aside from the connection as twins?
Part 3: How do you think Dominick's life might be if he was not related to Thomas?
Essay Topic 3
Even though he was abused, Dominick refuses to say that Ray was inhuman as a person.
Part 1: Why do you think that Dominick seems to still stick up for Ray's actions?
Part 2: Do you think you might have a different reaction to the actions of Ray?
Part 3: How do you think that Dominick could be so seemingly forgiving of Ray?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)