|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sheffer points out that Thomas has also had troubles in ______________ in the past, so that might not be an option.
2. Who refuses to say how he will vote when it comes to Thomas' hearing about his release?
3. Dessa reveals that she has started to go to __________ again after volunteering at a children's hospice.
4. What happens to the first birth that Ignazia has with Papa during their marriage?
5. The priest reminds Papa of his earliest intentions of becoming a __________, though he never did.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Dominick get Thomas in trouble when they were kids and they were in mass with Ray and Ma?
2. Why is Vincenzo killed after Papa decides to disown him instead of shaming him?
3. What is the surprise that Dominick finds when he returns home on the eve of Thomas' hearing?
4. Who is revealed as being Dominick's father when Ray breaks his promise to Ma and tells Dominick?
5. How does Papa become the first Italian boss in the textile mill where he works, according to his memoir?
6. What does Papa receive during the blessing of the school, which overwhelms him?
7. What does Sheffer tell Dominick about the possible future of the mental health facility, in this story?
8. What is the thing that Papa beats Ignazia for, according to his memoir, in this story?
9. What story has Dominick been reading when he comes into Patel's office for a new appointment?
10. What does Dominick evade when he is talking with Patel at the beginning of this section of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dominick steps in to help fend off the unwanted advances of a sailor and ends up meeting a woman he comes to love.
Part 1: Do you think that Dominick defended the woman because he liked her or because she was in danger?
Part 2: Why do you think Dominick was willing to put himself in harm's way?
Part 3: Do you think that you could step in to help someone you thought to be in trouble?
Essay Topic 2
Thomas believes that Dominick is singled out for abuse because he does not defend himself.
Part 1: Why do you think Thomas believes Dominick can't defend himself?
Part 2: Do you think people who can't defend themselves are more likely to be hurt?
Part 3: What do you think might have happened if Dominick were to fight back?
Essay Topic 3
Dominick feels bad for not sticking up for a friend in his class when he was a kid.
Part 1: Why do you think Dominick feels bad for not sticking up for a kid in his class?
Part 2: How do you think Dominick's life might have changed if he were to stick up for this kid in his class?
Part 3: Why do you think that Dominick feels the need to stick up for others in his life?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)