|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because Papa was able to stop ____________, he is promoted to a nighttime supervisor at Plant 2.
2. What is the name Papa openly calls Prosperine when she is doing her chores in the house?
3. Ray decides to show more care and concern for his '______' when Dominick is laid up in the hospital.
4. Ray admits that he is the one who is planting the mystery ____________ at the cemetery.
5. Papa offers to take both Ignazia and Prosperine into his home, though Prosperine will be the ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sheffer tell Dominick about the possible future of the mental health facility, in this story?
2. What does Pasquale do which makes Papa so upset that he begins to weep for Pasquale?
3. What happens to tear out Dominick's stitches during the time that Dominick was supposed to paint the Rood's house?
4. How did Dominick get Thomas in trouble when they were kids and they were in mass with Ray and Ma?
5. What is the thing that Papa beats Ignazia for, according to his memoir, in this story?
6. Where is Ignazia finally found after she leaves and the dog has been poisoned after her departure?
7. What does Ray offer to help Dominick do when he is showing uncommon concern for him?
8. Who is revealed as being Dominick's father when Ray breaks his promise to Ma and tells Dominick?
9. What does Papa receive during the blessing of the school, which overwhelms him?
10. What is the surprise that Dominick finds when he returns home on the eve of Thomas' hearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dominick has people watching Thomas to ensure that he's not being abused.
Part 1: Why do you think Dominick continues to watch out for his brother?
Part 2: Do you think that Thomas is being abused at the center?
Part 3: How do you think that Dominick would react if there was a report of abuse?
Essay Topic 2
Dominick steps in to help fend off the unwanted advances of a sailor and ends up meeting a woman he comes to love.
Part 1: Do you think that Dominick defended the woman because he liked her or because she was in danger?
Part 2: Why do you think Dominick was willing to put himself in harm's way?
Part 3: Do you think that you could step in to help someone you thought to be in trouble?
Essay Topic 3
Dominick is told that Thomas' new doctors are very good, but that he will not be out quickly as there is a new political climate at the center.
Part 1: Do you think that the political climate at a care center should affect the patients?
Part 2: Why do you think Thomas' care is altered by the political climate?
Part 3: How do you think that Thomas' care might be different if there was no political climate?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)