|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ray admits that he is the one who is planting the mystery ____________ at the cemetery.
2. Papa orders ____________ to his bed on at least Saturdays and Sundays, hoping for a child.
3. Who is irreverent when he enters into New York, which causes him to get backhanded?
4. Papa offers to take both Ignazia and Prosperine into his home, though Prosperine will be the ___________.
5. What does Papa smell which lets him know that someone besides Ignazia is in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Papa do since he can not trust Prosperine to not poison him as they are living together?
2. What does Dominick evade when he is talking with Patel at the beginning of this section of the story?
3. How does Papa become the first Italian boss in the textile mill where he works, according to his memoir?
4. What does Papa receive during the blessing of the school, which overwhelms him?
5. What does Ray ask for when he does not recognize Dominick when he visits him, in this story?
6. What is the second child that Ignazia gives birth to, an obvious baby from another partner?
7. What does Papa refuse to do when he finds out that Ignazia is pregnant?
8. How did Dominick get Thomas in trouble when they were kids and they were in mass with Ray and Ma?
9. What does Sheffer tell Dominick about the possible future of the mental health facility, in this story?
10. What does Pasquale do which makes Papa so upset that he begins to weep for Pasquale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ray seems to mock the twins, no matter what they do or how they act in their lives, causing them to never feel completely loved or accepted.
Part 1: Why do you think Ray is unaccepting of the twins, no matter what they do?
Part 2: Why do you think Ray mocks Dominick for making the dean's list in school?
Part 3: Why do you think Ray reprimands Thomas for not getting better grades in school?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between Dominick and Thomas is a loving one, though perhaps not in the conventional way.
Part 1: Why do you think Dominick continues to care for his brother?
Part 2: Do you think that you could stand by your brother if he had as many problems as Thomas does?
Part 3: How do you think Dominick could be handling his brother better in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Thomas believes that Dominick is singled out for abuse because he does not defend himself.
Part 1: Why do you think Thomas believes Dominick can't defend himself?
Part 2: Do you think people who can't defend themselves are more likely to be hurt?
Part 3: What do you think might have happened if Dominick were to fight back?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)