|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ignazia move in with downstairs during this part of the story?
2. What is the old phobia that Dominick has to face in addition to the shocking image he sees while at the Rood's house?
3. Who does Dominick think that he passes when he is driving alone to the painting job?
4. Papa writes a letter about the passing of Vincenzo to his mother, only to find out she has died of ____________.
5. What does Ignazia refuse to attend, even though these are thrown with Papa in mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dominick ask Ralph to do for him after he meets with Patel to talk about Thomas?
2. What does Pasquale do which makes Papa so upset that he begins to weep for Pasquale?
3. What is the surprise that Dominick finds when he returns home on the eve of Thomas' hearing?
4. What is the second child that Ignazia gives birth to, an obvious baby from another partner?
5. Who is revealed as being Dominick's father when Ray breaks his promise to Ma and tells Dominick?
6. What is the warning that Ralph gives to Dominick when he phones him up secretly?
7. Who fails to show up when Dominick and Ray are making funeral arrangements, in this story?
8. What story has Dominick been reading when he comes into Patel's office for a new appointment?
9. What does Papa do since he can not trust Prosperine to not poison him as they are living together?
10. What happens to tear out Dominick's stitches during the time that Dominick was supposed to paint the Rood's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Dominick and Thomas is a loving one, though perhaps not in the conventional way.
Part 1: Why do you think Dominick continues to care for his brother?
Part 2: Do you think that you could stand by your brother if he had as many problems as Thomas does?
Part 3: How do you think Dominick could be handling his brother better in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The choice that Thomas makes in order to protest the war for himself is a drastic one.
Part 1: Why do you think Thomas makes the choice he does in order to protest the war?
Part 2: What might you have done if you didn't want anyone to fight in a war anymore?
Part 3: Do you think there are other people like Thomas in the military today?
Essay Topic 3
Dominick steps in to help fend off the unwanted advances of a sailor and ends up meeting a woman he comes to love.
Part 1: Do you think that Dominick defended the woman because he liked her or because she was in danger?
Part 2: Why do you think Dominick was willing to put himself in harm's way?
Part 3: Do you think that you could step in to help someone you thought to be in trouble?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)