|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Henry give to Dominick right before he pulls the trigger to end his own life?
2. Papa agrees to get the Italian vote for ___________ if they men promise to track down Prosperine.
3. Dessa reveals that she has started to go to __________ again after volunteering at a children's hospice.
4. What does Papa's daughter tell him to do instead of just using poultices to help himself fight colds?
5. What does Guglielmo want Papa to manage, which is surprising to Papa when he is asked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the surprise that Dominick finds when he returns home on the eve of Thomas' hearing?
2. What does Ray ask for when he does not recognize Dominick when he visits him, in this story?
3. What does Pasquale do which makes Papa so upset that he begins to weep for Pasquale?
4. What does Papa receive during the blessing of the school, which overwhelms him?
5. What does Sheffer tell Dominick about the possible future of the mental health facility, in this story?
6. What is the second child that Ignazia gives birth to, an obvious baby from another partner?
7. What does Papa find out about Prosperine and Ignazia has he searches the kitchen for poison?
8. What does Dominick evade when he is talking with Patel at the beginning of this section of the story?
9. What does Ray offer to help Dominick do when he is showing uncommon concern for him?
10. How did Dominick get Thomas in trouble when they were kids and they were in mass with Ray and Ma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Dominick and Thomas is a loving one, though perhaps not in the conventional way.
Part 1: Why do you think Dominick continues to care for his brother?
Part 2: Do you think that you could stand by your brother if he had as many problems as Thomas does?
Part 3: How do you think Dominick could be handling his brother better in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Dominick steps in to help fend off the unwanted advances of a sailor and ends up meeting a woman he comes to love.
Part 1: Do you think that Dominick defended the woman because he liked her or because she was in danger?
Part 2: Why do you think Dominick was willing to put himself in harm's way?
Part 3: Do you think that you could step in to help someone you thought to be in trouble?
Essay Topic 3
Dominick is told that Thomas' new doctors are very good, but that he will not be out quickly as there is a new political climate at the center.
Part 1: Do you think that the political climate at a care center should affect the patients?
Part 2: Why do you think Thomas' care is altered by the political climate?
Part 3: How do you think that Thomas' care might be different if there was no political climate?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)