|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dominick visit in order to tell them about Thomas, though this person is not awake and Dominick does not wake them?
2. Dominick talks about how rude he was to his mother when he was being fitted for ____________.
3. When Dominick was a child, someone locked a ____________ in a firebox and it died in terror, which makes Dominick terrified.
4. In a biblical passage, _________ tells the disciples to cut off the body parts which offend in order to avoiding burning in hell.
5. Who says he/she is sorry for Dominick's troubles in his life, as he/she has heard too many stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it hard for Dominick to not take care of his brother and watch out for him in this everyday life?
2. What happens to the memoir by Papa which Dominick decides he wants to translate for himself?
3. Who tries to assure Dominick that Thomas is fine at the place where he is recovering?
4. What is the profession that Leo has when Dominick goes to visit with him during this part of the story?
5. What is Dominick torn between when he is in Ma and Ray's room, with a mind that is being sparked by memories?
6. What does Patel think Dominick needs to do in order to relieve his anger and feel better?
7. Why does Dell decide to lower the price of the used car that he is trying to sell to Leo, in this story?
8. What does seeing young dance students trigger in Dominick when he goes to see Patel and Sheffer?
9. What is the news about the case that Dominick learns when he is talking with Patel and listening to Thomas' tapes?
10. How does Dominick endanger himself when he is out with Leo during the summer of 1969?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dominick has people watching Thomas to ensure that he's not being abused.
Part 1: Why do you think Dominick continues to watch out for his brother?
Part 2: Do you think that Thomas is being abused at the center?
Part 3: How do you think that Dominick would react if there was a report of abuse?
Essay Topic 2
Dominick feels bad for not sticking up for a friend in his class when he was a kid.
Part 1: Why do you think Dominick feels bad for not sticking up for a kid in his class?
Part 2: How do you think Dominick's life might have changed if he were to stick up for this kid in his class?
Part 3: Why do you think that Dominick feels the need to stick up for others in his life?
Essay Topic 3
The story includes a number of flashbacks about the life of the brothers as they were growing up.
Part 1: Why do you think the author felt it was necessary to include flashbacks?
Part 2: Do you agree that the flashbacks help the story come to life for the reader?
Part 3: How do you think the story might have changed if the reader doesn't find out anything about the history of the brothers?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)