|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dominick believes that __________ is a bully, but that he is not inhuman as the tapes seem to make him.
2. What religion does Ray convert to in order to seemingly try to get into heaven even while he abuses his stepsons?
3. __________ says that Ray beats them up and rapes Ma in front of the twins to teach them about the real world.
4. Leo insists that being a ____________ major makes him an expert on homosexuality, though he has never been tempted.
5. Who has Dominick raped which makes him feel guilty the following day, as evidenced at the start of this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the news about the case that Dominick learns when he is talking with Patel and listening to Thomas' tapes?
2. What is Thomas wondering when he is being transported to Three Rivers for observation in this story?
3. What does Dominick regret about the summer of 1969 when he is talking with Thomas about sex and marijuana?
4. What are the therapy techniques which Dominick objects to, as they are causing one person in his life to be at blame?
5. What does Patel think Dominick needs to do in order to relieve his anger and feel better?
6. What happens when it's found out that Thomas did not get a safe number in the draft for Vietnam war fighting?
7. Why is it hard for Dominick to not take care of his brother and watch out for him in this everyday life?
8. How does Dominick endanger himself when he is out with Leo during the summer of 1969?
9. What does Ma forbid the boys from telling their stepfather when they are coming back from the movie theater?
10. Why does Dominick decide to take up house painting instead of teaching anymore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dominick is told that Thomas' new doctors are very good, but that he will not be out quickly as there is a new political climate at the center.
Part 1: Do you think that the political climate at a care center should affect the patients?
Part 2: Why do you think Thomas' care is altered by the political climate?
Part 3: How do you think that Thomas' care might be different if there was no political climate?
Essay Topic 2
Dominick feels bad for not sticking up for a friend in his class when he was a kid.
Part 1: Why do you think Dominick feels bad for not sticking up for a kid in his class?
Part 2: How do you think Dominick's life might have changed if he were to stick up for this kid in his class?
Part 3: Why do you think that Dominick feels the need to stick up for others in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Dominick steps in to help fend off the unwanted advances of a sailor and ends up meeting a woman he comes to love.
Part 1: Do you think that Dominick defended the woman because he liked her or because she was in danger?
Part 2: Why do you think Dominick was willing to put himself in harm's way?
Part 3: Do you think that you could step in to help someone you thought to be in trouble?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)