|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose picture is the biggest in Ma and Ray's room, as Dominick notices when he's sitting there?
2. What does Ray decide to purchase in order to be able to see the moon landing in 1969?
3. Leo insists that being a ____________ major makes him an expert on homosexuality, though he has never been tempted.
4. Dominick believes that __________ is a bully, but that he is not inhuman as the tapes seem to make him.
5. Thomas lectures Dominick on the perils of ____________, though he is cruelly rebuffed by those to whom he speaks.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Thomas wondering when he is being transported to Three Rivers for observation in this story?
2. Why do Ray and Ma fight over sending Dominick and Thomas to college during the time of the Vietnam War?
3. What is the incident which makes Papa finally go to confession after he begins to think about how far he has strayed?
4. What happens to the memoir by Papa which Dominick decides he wants to translate for himself?
5. What does Dominick grow impatient with when he is talking with his brother a day before the amputation?
6. When does Dominick next see Penny's twin brother after Penny's death, in this story?
7. What are the therapy techniques which Dominick objects to, as they are causing one person in his life to be at blame?
8. Who is revealed as being Dominick's father when Ray breaks his promise to Ma and tells Dominick?
9. What does Papa refuse to do when he finds out that Ignazia is pregnant?
10. What is Dominick torn between when he is in Ma and Ray's room, with a mind that is being sparked by memories?
Essay Topic 1
Thomas believes that Dominick is singled out for abuse because he does not defend himself.
Part 1: Why do you think Thomas believes Dominick can't defend himself?
Part 2: Do you think people who can't defend themselves are more likely to be hurt?
Part 3: What do you think might have happened if Dominick were to fight back?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, there are several myths brought in, including Shiva, the god of destruction.
Part 1: Why do you think these myths and stories are brought into the book?
Part 2: How does Shiva apply to the situation with Thomas and Dominick?
Part 3: Are there any other mythologies or stories which you think might apply to the brothers?
Essay Topic 3
Even though he was abused, Dominick refuses to say that Ray was inhuman as a person.
Part 1: Why do you think that Dominick seems to still stick up for Ray's actions?
Part 2: Do you think you might have a different reaction to the actions of Ray?
Part 3: How do you think that Dominick could be so seemingly forgiving of Ray?
This section contains 1,941 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)