|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ma warns the twins not to gawk or to talk about anyone with ___________, though they seem to be everywhere.
2. What does Ray decide to purchase in order to be able to see the moon landing in 1969?
3. Dominick is assured that the practitioner who gives Thomas more medication is a patient _____________ who is looking out for Thomas' best interests.
4. Dominick believes that __________ is a bully, but that he is not inhuman as the tapes seem to make him.
5. Dominick talks about how rude he was to his mother when he was being fitted for ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is revealed as being Dominick's father when Ray breaks his promise to Ma and tells Dominick?
2. What is the thing that Papa beats Ignazia for, according to his memoir, in this story?
3. What is the incident which makes Papa finally go to confession after he begins to think about how far he has strayed?
4. Where is Ignazia finally found after she leaves and the dog has been poisoned after her departure?
5. To what does Dominick attribute the meanness of Ray towards Thomas when he is arguing with Joy?
6. What do the two boys think about when their mother takes them to a movie in 1958 and both boys are bored?
7. What does Leo suggest to Dominick when he comes to pick him up during this part of the book?
8. What does Papa refuse to do when he finds out that Ignazia is pregnant?
9. What happens in the story of Bhagirath that Patel tells to Dominick when they are in a session together?
10. What does Ray ask for when he does not recognize Dominick when he visits him, in this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though he was abused, Dominick refuses to say that Ray was inhuman as a person.
Part 1: Why do you think that Dominick seems to still stick up for Ray's actions?
Part 2: Do you think you might have a different reaction to the actions of Ray?
Part 3: How do you think that Dominick could be so seemingly forgiving of Ray?
Essay Topic 2
Papa decides to drown the monkey because it bites Papa, even though he promised Pasquale he would not.
Part 1: Why do you think Papa breaks the promise to Pasquale?
Part 2: Do you think drowning the monkey was an evil act of Papa or a necessary evil?
Part 3: How do you think Papa's life might have changed had he not drowned the monkey?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Dominick and Thomas is a loving one, though perhaps not in the conventional way.
Part 1: Why do you think Dominick continues to care for his brother?
Part 2: Do you think that you could stand by your brother if he had as many problems as Thomas does?
Part 3: How do you think Dominick could be handling his brother better in the story?
This section contains 1,932 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)