|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dominick remembers how a professor once talked about how religion being the ___________ of the people.
2. What is the profession of Ralph Drinkwater at the Hatch Center, according to descriptions in the story?
3. Patel refuses to discuss her beliefs with her patients, including her belief in _______________.
4. What did the United States citizens fear most about the Soviet Union during the 1950s?
5. Dell and his wife are arrested for having __________ as Ralph turns them in for this crime.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Papa become the first Italian boss in the textile mill where he works, according to his memoir?
2. What does Ray offer to help Dominick do when he is showing uncommon concern for him?
3. What does Ray ask for when he does not recognize Dominick when he visits him, in this story?
4. Why is it hard for Dominick to not take care of his brother and watch out for him in this everyday life?
5. Why does Dell decide to lower the price of the used car that he is trying to sell to Leo, in this story?
6. What is the news about the case that Dominick learns when he is talking with Patel and listening to Thomas' tapes?
7. What is the incident which makes Papa finally go to confession after he begins to think about how far he has strayed?
8. What are the therapy techniques which Dominick objects to, as they are causing one person in his life to be at blame?
9. What is the story that Dominick maintains when the police question him and Leo about Dell?
10. Why does Dominick decide to take up house painting instead of teaching anymore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dominick feels that by recalling the past, he might yet be able to forgive himself for what has happened.
Part 1: Why do you think recalling the past might be helpful?
Part 2: Do you think you need to remember your past in order to forgive yourself?
Part 3: How might you forgive yourself for something bad you have done in the past?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between Dominick and Thomas is a loving one, though perhaps not in the conventional way.
Part 1: Why do you think Dominick continues to care for his brother?
Part 2: Do you think that you could stand by your brother if he had as many problems as Thomas does?
Part 3: How do you think Dominick could be handling his brother better in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Thomas believes that Dominick is singled out for abuse because he does not defend himself.
Part 1: Why do you think Thomas believes Dominick can't defend himself?
Part 2: Do you think people who can't defend themselves are more likely to be hurt?
Part 3: What do you think might have happened if Dominick were to fight back?
This section contains 1,925 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)