|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ had been Dominick's key, learned from Ray on the basketball court, according to Thomas.
2. What does Ray decide to purchase in order to be able to see the moon landing in 1969?
3. When is the next hearing for Thomas scheduled, according to Sheffer when she comes into the room?
4. Ma warns the twins not to gawk or to talk about anyone with ___________, though they seem to be everywhere.
5. What is the profession of Ralph Drinkwater at the Hatch Center, according to descriptions in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Dominick takes Thomas to the hospital after his amputation during the beginning of the book?
2. What does seeing young dance students trigger in Dominick when he goes to see Patel and Sheffer?
3. What happens in the story of Bhagirath that Patel tells to Dominick when they are in a session together?
4. Why is it hard for Dominick to not take care of his brother and watch out for him in this everyday life?
5. What is Dominick torn between when he is in Ma and Ray's room, with a mind that is being sparked by memories?
6. What does Ma do when the television explodes, according to Dominick's memory from 1958?
7. What does Leo suggest to Dominick when he comes to pick him up during this part of the book?
8. What happens when it's found out that Thomas did not get a safe number in the draft for Vietnam war fighting?
9. What happens which makes Dominick feel moved during his conversation and his visit with Leo?
10. How does Dominick endanger himself when he is out with Leo during the summer of 1969?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though he was abused, Dominick refuses to say that Ray was inhuman as a person.
Part 1: Why do you think that Dominick seems to still stick up for Ray's actions?
Part 2: Do you think you might have a different reaction to the actions of Ray?
Part 3: How do you think that Dominick could be so seemingly forgiving of Ray?
Essay Topic 2
Dominick steps in to help fend off the unwanted advances of a sailor and ends up meeting a woman he comes to love.
Part 1: Do you think that Dominick defended the woman because he liked her or because she was in danger?
Part 2: Why do you think Dominick was willing to put himself in harm's way?
Part 3: Do you think that you could step in to help someone you thought to be in trouble?
Essay Topic 3
Dominick feels that by recalling the past, he might yet be able to forgive himself for what has happened.
Part 1: Why do you think recalling the past might be helpful?
Part 2: Do you think you need to remember your past in order to forgive yourself?
Part 3: How might you forgive yourself for something bad you have done in the past?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)