|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dominick is assured that the practitioner who gives Thomas more medication is a patient _____________ who is looking out for Thomas' best interests.
2. What is the medication being used for Thomas which seems to be doing him some good?
3. Sheffer tells Dominick that the State Department is looking at his brother's case and trying to play _______________.
4. Patel refuses to discuss her beliefs with her patients, including her belief in _______________.
5. Dominick awakes from a dream in which he ignores Thomas' skill at __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dominick endanger himself when he is out with Leo during the summer of 1969?
2. Why does Dominick go to visit a clinic after going to see Sheffer to talk about Thomas?
3. What does Leo suggest to Dominick when he comes to pick him up during this part of the book?
4. What does Dominick regret about the summer of 1969 when he is talking with Thomas about sex and marijuana?
5. What does Patel think Dominick needs to do in order to relieve his anger and feel better?
6. What does Ma forbid the boys from telling their stepfather when they are coming back from the movie theater?
7. Why does Dominick decide to take up house painting instead of teaching anymore?
8. When does Dominick next see Penny's twin brother after Penny's death, in this story?
9. Why is it hard for Dominick to not take care of his brother and watch out for him in this everyday life?
10. What does Ma do when the television explodes, according to Dominick's memory from 1958?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dominick is told that Thomas' new doctors are very good, but that he will not be out quickly as there is a new political climate at the center.
Part 1: Do you think that the political climate at a care center should affect the patients?
Part 2: Why do you think Thomas' care is altered by the political climate?
Part 3: How do you think that Thomas' care might be different if there was no political climate?
Essay Topic 2
Ma seems to be nervous about telling the twins the name of their real father, so she keeps this a secret for a while.
Part 1: Why do you think that Ma evades the question of who the twins' father really is?
Part 2: Do you think it's right for a mother to not tell her sons who their father is?
Part 3: What do you think you might have done if you were not told who your father was and you wanted to know?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Dominick and Thomas is a loving one, though perhaps not in the conventional way.
Part 1: Why do you think Dominick continues to care for his brother?
Part 2: Do you think that you could stand by your brother if he had as many problems as Thomas does?
Part 3: How do you think Dominick could be handling his brother better in the story?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)