|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion does Ray convert to in order to seemingly try to get into heaven even while he abuses his stepsons?
2. Dr. Judy Yup is willing to testify that ___________ is oppression when she sees the extent of Dominick's injuries.
3. Where does Thomas decide to cut off his hand in order to escape being drafted into the military?
4. Who is the person that asks to be on Thomas' visitors list, which makes Dominick happy?
5. Whenever Dominick sees ______________, thoughts overtake him about what might have been for Angela.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the profession that Leo has when Dominick goes to visit with him during this part of the story?
2. What does Dominick grow impatient with when he is talking with his brother a day before the amputation?
3. What does Dominick learn when he goes to visit Sheffer in the office to talk about Thomas, in this story?
4. What does Leo suggest to Dominick when he comes to pick him up during this part of the book?
5. What happens when it's found out that Thomas did not get a safe number in the draft for Vietnam war fighting?
6. What is the terrible situation which happens on the field trip the twins take in 1962 to the Statue of Liberty?
7. What does seeing young dance students trigger in Dominick when he goes to see Patel and Sheffer?
8. What happens to the memoir by Papa which Dominick decides he wants to translate for himself?
9. Why is it hard for Dominick to not take care of his brother and watch out for him in this everyday life?
10. What is happening when Dominick goes through the motions of having sex with his girlfriend, Joy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Papa decides to drown the monkey because it bites Papa, even though he promised Pasquale he would not.
Part 1: Why do you think Papa breaks the promise to Pasquale?
Part 2: Do you think drowning the monkey was an evil act of Papa or a necessary evil?
Part 3: How do you think Papa's life might have changed had he not drowned the monkey?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between Dominick and Thomas is a loving one, though perhaps not in the conventional way.
Part 1: Why do you think Dominick continues to care for his brother?
Part 2: Do you think that you could stand by your brother if he had as many problems as Thomas does?
Part 3: How do you think Dominick could be handling his brother better in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Dominick feels that by recalling the past, he might yet be able to forgive himself for what has happened.
Part 1: Why do you think recalling the past might be helpful?
Part 2: Do you think you need to remember your past in order to forgive yourself?
Part 3: How might you forgive yourself for something bad you have done in the past?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)