|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leo has mentioned _______ as a possible supplier of drugs to Ralph, according to Dominick when he talks with the police.
2. Dr. Judy Yup is willing to testify that ___________ is oppression when she sees the extent of Dominick's injuries.
3. What is the diagnosis which has been given to Thomas, in which he hears voices and sees hallucinations?
4. What is the name of the manager at the movie theater which other people in the room call him?
5. What is the profession of Ralph Drinkwater at the Hatch Center, according to descriptions in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening when Dominick goes through the motions of having sex with his girlfriend, Joy?
2. What do the two boys think about when their mother takes them to a movie in 1958 and both boys are bored?
3. When does Dominick next see Penny's twin brother after Penny's death, in this story?
4. Why is it hard for Dominick to not take care of his brother and watch out for him in this everyday life?
5. What does Patel think Dominick needs to do in order to relieve his anger and feel better?
6. What happens to the memoir by Papa which Dominick decides he wants to translate for himself?
7. What are the guidelines for Dominick being able to visit Thomas when he is at the center?
8. What happens which makes Dominick feel moved during his conversation and his visit with Leo?
9. What does Dominick grow impatient with when he is talking with his brother a day before the amputation?
10. How does Dominick endanger himself when he is out with Leo during the summer of 1969?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ma seems to be nervous about telling the twins the name of their real father, so she keeps this a secret for a while.
Part 1: Why do you think that Ma evades the question of who the twins' father really is?
Part 2: Do you think it's right for a mother to not tell her sons who their father is?
Part 3: What do you think you might have done if you were not told who your father was and you wanted to know?
Essay Topic 2
Prosperine puts poison and glass into Selvi's food in order to kill him and he dies in agony.
Part 1: Why do you think Prosperine wants to kill Selvi?
Part 2: Do you think that Prosperine had a good reason to kill Selvi?
Part 3: How do you think the problems between the two might have been worked out more effectively?
Essay Topic 3
Dominick steps in to help fend off the unwanted advances of a sailor and ends up meeting a woman he comes to love.
Part 1: Do you think that Dominick defended the woman because he liked her or because she was in danger?
Part 2: Why do you think Dominick was willing to put himself in harm's way?
Part 3: Do you think that you could step in to help someone you thought to be in trouble?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)