|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thomas lectures Dominick on the perils of ____________, though he is cruelly rebuffed by those to whom he speaks.
2. Thomas says that Ray is jealous of _______ special plans for him, according to the therapy tape.
3. Dominick recalls how Ma was waiting for ___________ to rescue them when the crazy man approached them on the bus.
4. What is the diagnosis which has been given to Thomas, in which he hears voices and sees hallucinations?
5. What is the profession of Ralph Drinkwater at the Hatch Center, according to descriptions in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Dominick takes Thomas to the hospital after his amputation during the beginning of the book?
2. Why is it hard for Dominick to not take care of his brother and watch out for him in this everyday life?
3. Why does Dominick go to visit a clinic after going to see Sheffer to talk about Thomas?
4. Why does Dell decide to lower the price of the used car that he is trying to sell to Leo, in this story?
5. Why does Thomas believe that Dominick has been singled out in his life, according to the therapy tape?
6. What does Dominick grow impatient with when he is talking with his brother a day before the amputation?
7. What is the story that Dominick maintains when the police question him and Leo about Dell?
8. What does Ma do when the television explodes, according to Dominick's memory from 1958?
9. What does Leo suggest to Dominick when he comes to pick him up during this part of the book?
10. What does Dominick recall lying about in third grade which he now feels guilty about doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomas believes that Dominick is singled out for abuse because he does not defend himself.
Part 1: Why do you think Thomas believes Dominick can't defend himself?
Part 2: Do you think people who can't defend themselves are more likely to be hurt?
Part 3: What do you think might have happened if Dominick were to fight back?
Essay Topic 2
Dominick feels bad for not sticking up for a friend in his class when he was a kid.
Part 1: Why do you think Dominick feels bad for not sticking up for a kid in his class?
Part 2: How do you think Dominick's life might have changed if he were to stick up for this kid in his class?
Part 3: Why do you think that Dominick feels the need to stick up for others in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Ma seems to be nervous about telling the twins the name of their real father, so she keeps this a secret for a while.
Part 1: Why do you think that Ma evades the question of who the twins' father really is?
Part 2: Do you think it's right for a mother to not tell her sons who their father is?
Part 3: What do you think you might have done if you were not told who your father was and you wanted to know?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)