|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Dominick's lovers could be categorized as being shyer than another of Dominick's lovers?
2. Who suggests to Dominick that they buy a few pounds of marijuana in order to sell it around campus?
3. Thomas has episodes of ________________ in which he obsesses about something and is unable to let it go.
4. Dominick is troubled by the obscure _________ that Thomas has left for him as well.
5. Who is the person that asks to be on Thomas' visitors list, which makes Dominick happy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Patel think Dominick needs to do in order to relieve his anger and feel better?
2. What is the profession that Leo has when Dominick goes to visit with him during this part of the story?
3. What is Dominick torn between when he is in Ma and Ray's room, with a mind that is being sparked by memories?
4. Why does Dominick go to visit a clinic after going to see Sheffer to talk about Thomas?
5. Why does Dell decide to lower the price of the used car that he is trying to sell to Leo, in this story?
6. What does Ma forbid the boys from telling their stepfather when they are coming back from the movie theater?
7. What does seeing young dance students trigger in Dominick when he goes to see Patel and Sheffer?
8. What are the guidelines for Dominick being able to visit Thomas when he is at the center?
9. What does Dominick recall lying about in third grade which he now feels guilty about doing?
10. What is happening when Dominick goes through the motions of having sex with his girlfriend, Joy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dominick is told that Thomas' new doctors are very good, but that he will not be out quickly as there is a new political climate at the center.
Part 1: Do you think that the political climate at a care center should affect the patients?
Part 2: Why do you think Thomas' care is altered by the political climate?
Part 3: How do you think that Thomas' care might be different if there was no political climate?
Essay Topic 2
The story includes a number of flashbacks about the life of the brothers as they were growing up.
Part 1: Why do you think the author felt it was necessary to include flashbacks?
Part 2: Do you agree that the flashbacks help the story come to life for the reader?
Part 3: How do you think the story might have changed if the reader doesn't find out anything about the history of the brothers?
Essay Topic 3
Even though he was abused, Dominick refuses to say that Ray was inhuman as a person.
Part 1: Why do you think that Dominick seems to still stick up for Ray's actions?
Part 2: Do you think you might have a different reaction to the actions of Ray?
Part 3: How do you think that Dominick could be so seemingly forgiving of Ray?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)