|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dominick talks about how rude he was to his mother when he was being fitted for ____________.
2. Dell and his wife are arrested for having __________ as Ralph turns them in for this crime.
3. Dominick is talked out of getting a ___________ as this will only complicate matters, he is told.
4. Which president is in charge of Operation Desert Shield during the time of the antiwar protest?
5. To what city did the twins go when they were in sixth grade, going to the city as a class for a field trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Dominick takes Thomas to the hospital after his amputation during the beginning of the book?
2. What does Thomas not remember which causes him to think that Dominick is mad at him?
3. What happens to the memoir by Papa which Dominick decides he wants to translate for himself?
4. To what does Dominick attribute the meanness of Ray towards Thomas when he is arguing with Joy?
5. Who tries to assure Dominick that Thomas is fine at the place where he is recovering?
6. What happens in the story of Bhagirath that Patel tells to Dominick when they are in a session together?
7. What does Dominick grow impatient with when he is talking with his brother a day before the amputation?
8. What does Patel think Dominick needs to do in order to relieve his anger and feel better?
9. Why does Dell decide to lower the price of the used car that he is trying to sell to Leo, in this story?
10. What does Ma do when the television explodes, according to Dominick's memory from 1958?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story includes a number of flashbacks about the life of the brothers as they were growing up.
Part 1: Why do you think the author felt it was necessary to include flashbacks?
Part 2: Do you agree that the flashbacks help the story come to life for the reader?
Part 3: How do you think the story might have changed if the reader doesn't find out anything about the history of the brothers?
Essay Topic 2
Dominick is sometimes angry about the way that he is always going to be linked to Thomas in some way.
Part 1: Do you think it's normal for a person to not want to be linked with a sibling?
Part 2: Why do you think Thomas is always going to be linked to Dominick, aside from the connection as twins?
Part 3: How do you think Dominick's life might be if he was not related to Thomas?
Essay Topic 3
Ray seems to mock the twins, no matter what they do or how they act in their lives, causing them to never feel completely loved or accepted.
Part 1: Why do you think Ray is unaccepting of the twins, no matter what they do?
Part 2: Why do you think Ray mocks Dominick for making the dean's list in school?
Part 3: Why do you think Ray reprimands Thomas for not getting better grades in school?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)