|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who flirts with Thomas when Dessa visits with the Birdseys during a time when Thomas is acting normally?
2. When is the next hearing for Thomas scheduled, according to Sheffer when she comes into the room?
3. Ray is the stepfather who works the third shift at ____________ when the twins are growing up with their Ma.
4. What does Ray decide to purchase in order to be able to see the moon landing in 1969?
5. Billy Covington is the man who dies in Vietnam, a man who idolized _____________, though the reader doesn't learn much more.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dominick torn between when he is in Ma and Ray's room, with a mind that is being sparked by memories?
2. What are the guidelines for Dominick being able to visit Thomas when he is at the center?
3. To what does Dominick attribute the meanness of Ray towards Thomas when he is arguing with Joy?
4. What is the terrible situation which happens on the field trip the twins take in 1962 to the Statue of Liberty?
5. Why is it hard for Dominick to not take care of his brother and watch out for him in this everyday life?
6. What are the therapy techniques which Dominick objects to, as they are causing one person in his life to be at blame?
7. What does Dominick regret about the summer of 1969 when he is talking with Thomas about sex and marijuana?
8. What happens when it's found out that Thomas did not get a safe number in the draft for Vietnam war fighting?
9. What does Thomas not remember which causes him to think that Dominick is mad at him?
10. When does Dominick next see Penny's twin brother after Penny's death, in this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The memoir of Papa is revealing and scary and altering for Dominick as he reads is.
Part 1: Why do you think the memoir has been kept a secret for so long?
Part 2: Do you think reading a memoir about your parents might change your life?
Part 3: How do you think you might change your actions if you read a memoir of your parents?
Essay Topic 2
Thomas believes that Dominick is singled out for abuse because he does not defend himself.
Part 1: Why do you think Thomas believes Dominick can't defend himself?
Part 2: Do you think people who can't defend themselves are more likely to be hurt?
Part 3: What do you think might have happened if Dominick were to fight back?
Essay Topic 3
Dominick can not return the 'I love you' from Thomas until after Thomas is asleep.
Part 1: Why do you think it's difficult for Dominick to say he loves his brother?
Part 2: Do you find it difficult to tell your siblings you love them?
Part 3: Do you think that Thomas knows his brother loves him? Why or why not?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)