|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sheffer tells Dominick that the State Department is looking at his brother's case and trying to play _______________.
2. Ray is the stepfather who works the third shift at ____________ when the twins are growing up with their Ma.
3. Ma accepts her diagnosis as one which is ____________, even if it means that she will die a painful death.
4. Leo insists that being a ____________ major makes him an expert on homosexuality, though he has never been tempted.
5. Where does Thomas decide to cut off his hand in order to escape being drafted into the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leo suggest to Dominick when he comes to pick him up during this part of the book?
2. What does Dominick grow impatient with when he is talking with his brother a day before the amputation?
3. Who tries to assure Dominick that Thomas is fine at the place where he is recovering?
4. What is Dominick torn between when he is in Ma and Ray's room, with a mind that is being sparked by memories?
5. What happens when Dominick takes Thomas to the hospital after his amputation during the beginning of the book?
6. What is the story that Dominick maintains when the police question him and Leo about Dell?
7. What happens to the memoir by Papa which Dominick decides he wants to translate for himself?
8. What does Ma do when the television explodes, according to Dominick's memory from 1958?
9. What does seeing young dance students trigger in Dominick when he goes to see Patel and Sheffer?
10. What does Ma forbid the boys from telling their stepfather when they are coming back from the movie theater?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Dominick and Thomas is a loving one, though perhaps not in the conventional way.
Part 1: Why do you think Dominick continues to care for his brother?
Part 2: Do you think that you could stand by your brother if he had as many problems as Thomas does?
Part 3: How do you think Dominick could be handling his brother better in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Thomas believes that Dominick is singled out for abuse because he does not defend himself.
Part 1: Why do you think Thomas believes Dominick can't defend himself?
Part 2: Do you think people who can't defend themselves are more likely to be hurt?
Part 3: What do you think might have happened if Dominick were to fight back?
Essay Topic 3
The choice that Thomas makes in order to protest the war for himself is a drastic one.
Part 1: Why do you think Thomas makes the choice he does in order to protest the war?
Part 2: What might you have done if you didn't want anyone to fight in a war anymore?
Part 3: Do you think there are other people like Thomas in the military today?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)