|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Papa's daughter tell him to do instead of just using poultices to help himself fight colds?
(a) Take a nap.
(b) Stop working so hard.
(c) Quit his job.
(d) Call off work.
2. What does Papa decline again and again, though it is said to be the key to serenity?
3. Papa does not talk about the two __________ women with whom he lives when he does go into confession.
4. Dessa reveals that she has started to go to __________ again after volunteering at a children's hospice.
(a) Her family's house.
(b) The library.
5. What does Thomas do whenever anyone tries to ask a question of him during the meeting?
(a) Quotes a scripture.
(c) Falls asleep.
(d) Bites someone.
6. What does Dominick call the current Persian Gulf war when it is brought up in conversation?
(a) The truth.
(b) Vietnam II.
(d) A pain in his side.
7. Who does Dominick think that he passes when he is driving alone to the painting job?
(c) Nedra Frank.
8. What does Thomas want from the Indian cemetery in order to cleanse his brain?
(a) River water.
9. Papa orders ____________ to his bed on at least Saturdays and Sundays, hoping for a child.
10. Who does Papa decide that he wants to marry, even though this woman has decided she wants to marry in the American way?
11. What is the old phobia that Dominick has to face in addition to the shocking image he sees while at the Rood's house?
12. Who is fired from his job at the plant and eventually becomes a greengrocer at Hurok's Market?
13. Prosperine quotes to Papa that, "You'll save a __________ and lose your wife!"
(a) Piece of pride.
14. Dominick wonders if his mother ever knew that she had a __________, as the memoir has revealed.
15. What makes Papa's heart race when he enters into the harbor of New York for the first time?
(a) The train station.
(b) The boat's hard entry.
(c) Ellis Island.
(d) Statue of Liberty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Papa still feels that the mayor treats him like a dumb ____________ whenever they speak or interact.
2. What color is the hair of the second child to which Ignazia gives birth during her marriage to Papa?
3. What does Prosperine do after Papa beats Ignazia for the first time? She threatens to castrate him ________________.
4. Papa is told that he will work alone and that he will have to work twice as hard, so he does and becomes a __________.
5. What are Papa's friends trying to talk him into, though he is trying to be firm about his decision?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)