Lesson 1 (from Chapters 1-4)
Thomas Birdsey decides to cut off his right hand in order to protest the war, though his stepdad does not agree with this choice. Today's objective is to discuss the idea of hurting one's self just to protect a particular event or cause.
1. Have each student define the idea of a cause.
2. In smaller groups, have students discuss whether they support any causes or ideas more vehemently than others.
3. As a class, have the students discuss the power of protesting for something. Do students think that protests actually work? What are the goals of most protests? What are some results of protests?
4. Homework: Have each student research to find out what protests were effective in their primary goals.
5. Homework: Have students discuss how they felt when they read that Thomas cut off his own hand and refused to have it reattached in protest.
6. Homework: Have...
This section contains 4,965 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)