|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juan do secretly while in Spain?
2. What does the King do while sitting for his paintings?
3. How does the new slave in Juan's house feel about being a slave?
4. What is in the picture that Juan places for the King to see?
5. What was wrong with the King's favorite dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Don Diego send most of his apprentices, and why?
2. What impresses Don Diego about Bartolomy's art?
3. What worries Juan about the portrait of the Pope?
4. What honor does the King give Don Diego after he dies?
5. What does the King do after Juan helps his favorite dog, and how does Juan feel about this?
6. How does Lolis feel about being a slave?
7. What does Juan suggest Don Diego do to practice for his portrait of the Pope, and what is Don Diego's response to this?
8. What did Juan do to help the King's favorite dog?
9. What does the King give Juan when Don Diego dies?
10. What does Diego do when he finds one of the notes between Del Mazo and Paquita?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Miri and Lolis are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support and, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
Essay Topic 3
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)