|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special talent does the slave have that Mistress bought while Don Diego was in Italy?
2. What does Juan do when the King realizes Juan has done a painting?
3. Where is Bertolomy from?
4. What does Juan see when he looks at the paintings of El Bobo?
5. What does Don Diego keep on hand in case of a visit from the King?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bartolomy say about the law against slaves painting?
2. What happens just after Juan and Don Diego get to Italy for the second time?
3. What does Don Diego do to save Juan when his painting is discovered by the King?
4. How does Juan get the Itallian nobles to recognize Don Diego's talent?
5. What happens when Lolis is asked to be Juan's wife?
6. What does Juan suggest Don Diego do to practice for his portrait of the Pope, and what is Don Diego's response to this?
7. What does Don Diego tell Juan not to call him after he is freed, and what is Juan's response?
8. Where does Don Diego send most of his apprentices, and why?
9. What does the King do after Juan helps his favorite dog, and how does Juan feel about this?
10. What has Juan just painted when he talks to Bartolomy, and what does Bartolomy say about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and describe their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Freedom was a crucial theme and symbol in this book. How was this theme presented, and how did its place in this plot affect the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)