|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the King want Diego to paint a portrait of on his second trip in Italy?
2. How long after Paquita's wedding does Don Diego go to Northern Spain?
3. Who was leery about Diego painting a portrait on his second trip in Italy?
4. What does Bartolomy call Juan?
5. What job is Juan given after the problem of the painting is solved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Juan do to help the King's favorite dog?
2. What does the King give Juan when Don Diego dies?
3. What does the King do while he sits for his portraits?
4. What impresses Don Diego about Bartolomy's art?
5. What is Juan worried will be found while he is in Northern Spain with Don Diego, and what is done about this?
6. What happens just after Juan and Don Diego get to Italy for the second time?
7. What does Murillo do after his time at Don Diego' house?
8. Where does Don Diego send most of his apprentices, and why?
9. What does the King do after Juan helps his favorite dog, and how does Juan feel about this?
10. What worries Juan about the portrait of the Pope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)