|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Diego feel about the King?
2. How long after Paquita's wedding does Don Diego go to Northern Spain?
3. Who does Don Diego have to ask about Lolis becoming Juan's wife?
4. What is Don Diego doing while on his trip to Northern Spain?
5. How does the new slave in Juan's house feel about being a slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Juan just painted when he talks to Bartolomy, and what does Bartolomy say about this?
2. What does the King give Juan when Don Diego dies?
3. What impresses Don Diego about Bartolomy's art?
4. What does Bartolomy say about the law against slaves painting?
5. What did Juan do to help the King's favorite dog?
6. What does Diego say during one of the King's sittings that pleases the King?
7. What does Murillo do after his time at Don Diego' house?
8. What does the King do after Juan helps his favorite dog, and how does Juan feel about this?
9. What happens when Lolis is asked to be Juan's wife?
10. What does Paquita's mother do when she finds out about her daughter's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)