|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives does Juan NOT use to describe the portrait of the Pope?
2. Where is Bertolomy from?
3. What does Juan promise to do if his Master's returned wound is healed?
4. What does Bartolomy call Juan?
5. What does Juan's painting remind the King of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bartolomy say about the law against slaves painting?
2. What has Juan just painted when he talks to Bartolomy, and what does Bartolomy say about this?
3. What does Juan suggest Don Diego do to practice for his portrait of the Pope, and what is Don Diego's response to this?
4. What happens just after Juan and Don Diego get to Italy for the second time?
5. What worries Juan about the portrait of the Pope?
6. What does the King do after Juan helps his favorite dog, and how does Juan feel about this?
7. What happens while Juan and Don Diego are sailing for Italy the second time?
8. How does Juan get the Itallian nobles to recognize Don Diego's talent?
9. What does Francisco Lezcano say to Juan about their similarities?
10. What does the King do while he sits for his portraits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Juan endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)