|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who cares for Don Diego while he has his fever?
2. Why does Juan say he no longer takes Communion?
3. Who is the first person Juan tries to get excited about Don Diego's talents?
4. What does the new slave in Juan's house say she wants Juan to be?
5. What happened to Mistress while Juan and Don Diego were in Italy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Juan suggest Don Diego do to practice for his portrait of the Pope, and what is Don Diego's response to this?
2. How does Lolis feel about being a slave?
3. What does Don Diego tell Juan not to call him after he is freed, and what is Juan's response?
4. What does Diego say during one of the King's sittings that pleases the King?
5. What happens just after Juan and Don Diego get to Italy for the second time?
6. What does the King do while he sits for his portraits?
7. What picture does Juan place among those of Don Diego's in the studio?
8. What does Diego do when he finds one of the notes between Del Mazo and Paquita?
9. What impresses Don Diego about Bartolomy's art?
10. How does Juan get the Itallian nobles to recognize Don Diego's talent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)