|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Diego paint a picture of after his daughter is engaged?
2. What does Juan's painting remind the King of?
3. What does Juan do secretly while in Spain?
4. Who is the first person Juan tries to get excited about Don Diego's talents?
5. What does Bartolomy say about the law against slaves painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lolis feel about being a slave?
2. What does Murillo do after his time at Don Diego' house?
3. What does Don Diego tell Juan not to call him after he is freed, and what is Juan's response?
4. What happens when Lolis is asked to be Juan's wife?
5. What impresses Don Diego about Bartolomy's art?
6. What honor does the King give Don Diego after he dies?
7. Where does Don Diego send most of his apprentices, and why?
8. What does Diego do when he finds one of the notes between Del Mazo and Paquita?
9. What does the King do after Juan helps his favorite dog, and how does Juan feel about this?
10. What does Juan suggest Don Diego do to practice for his portrait of the Pope, and what is Don Diego's response to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances influence that character's involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)