|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Carmelo tell Juan to get his food on the journey?
2. What is the Carmelo's occupation?
3. What did the slave girl suffer from when Juan gets to her house?
4. What does the King want Diego to do in Italy?
5. What is Don Diego commissioned to paint for the King?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Murillo do after his time at Don Diego' house?
2. What is Juan worried will be found while he is in Northern Spain with Don Diego, and what is done about this?
3. What happens while Juan and Don Diego are sailing for Italy the second time?
4. What does Francisco Lezcano say to Juan about their similarities?
5. What does Don Diego do to save Juan when his painting is discovered by the King?
6. What does the King do while he sits for his portraits?
7. What is Miri's worst fear, and how does this affect Juan?
8. Why is Juan so touched by Murillo's kindness at the end of the book?
9. What does Juan find in the house when he wakes up after being sick with the plague?
10. What does the master in Madrid say to Juan when he wakes up?
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances influence that character's involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)