|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the dainty slave girl Juan admires?
2. What does Juan say Italy as a country is devoted to?
3. What does Don Dimas ask of Juan?
4. Where did Juan live before his journey to Madrid?
5. Where does Brother Isidro take Juan after the inventory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange ability does Lolis have?
2. What does the King do while he sits for his portraits?
3. What does Mistress allow Juan to do when she sees how disappointed he is about not being taught to paint?
4. What happens just after Juan and Don Diego get to Italy for the second time?
5. What does Juan find in the house when he wakes up after being sick with the plague?
6. What happens when Lolis is asked to be Juan's wife?
7. What does the King do after Juan helps his favorite dog, and how does Juan feel about this?
8. What does Bartolomy say about the law against slaves painting?
9. What does Diego say during one of the King's sittings that pleases the King?
10. What worries Juan about the portrait of the Pope?
Essay Topic 1
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Miri and Lolis are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support and, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)