|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Juan when he learns to read?
2. What is the name of the dainty slave girl Juan admires?
3. What does Juan say the King is hoping for?
4. What does Gil Medina make?
5. What is Juan given after his mother dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Juan describe his first sight of Miri?
2. What is Juan told after waiting for the magistrate for hours?
3. What does Don Diego teach Juan about a blue brocade?
4. What is Miri's worst fear, and how does this affect Juan?
5. What does Mistress say when she sees that Juan is in love?
6. Where does Juan go after his mistress dies?
7. What does Mistress allow Juan to do when she sees how disappointed he is about not being taught to paint?
8. What does Juan demand in return for his service to Don Dimas?
9. How does Juan describe the first portrait Diego paints of the King?
10. What does Master say when Juan asks him to teach him to paint?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)