|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the palace studio like?
2. What does Juan do after the house is inventoried?
3. Where does Don Diego live?
4. Who talks with Diego before the King comes to see him?
5. How did Mistress feel about Master?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Juan describe the first portrait Diego paints of the King?
2. How does Juan describe his first sight of Miri?
3. What does Juan find in the house when he wakes up after being sick with the plague?
4. What does Juan do when his mistress falls sick with the plague?
5. What does Juan demand in return for his service to Don Dimas?
6. What is Juan told after waiting for the magistrate for hours?
7. Why does Diego refuse to teach Juan to paint?
8. What sad news do Juan and Diego receive when they return home?
9. What does Diego say is the difference between the light in Spain and Italy?
10. What does Mistress allow Juan to do when she sees how disappointed he is about not being taught to paint?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)