|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Carmelo do on evening nights to amuse himself?
2. What is Don Diego's occupation?
3. How long is Diego at the palace before he sees the King?
4. Where does Brother Isidro take Juan after the inventory?
5. Who teaches Juan to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Juan go after his mistress dies?
2. What does Don Diego to do study while in Italy?
3. What does Brother Isidro do when Juan starts to cry after the inventory?
4. What does Mistress allow Juan to do when she sees how disappointed he is about not being taught to paint?
5. What sad news do Juan and Diego receive when they return home?
6. How does Don Medina say he makes his crucifixes so realistic?
7. How does Juan describe the first portrait Diego paints of the King?
8. What does Diego say is the difference between the light in Spain and Italy?
9. How does Brother Isidro say he sees Juan?
10. What happens when Juan brings a message to Reubens' house from Don Diego?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Juan endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)