|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the dainty slave girl?
2. What does Brother Isidro do to quiet Juan's crying?
3. How does the Carmelo tell Juan to get his food on the journey?
4. What happened to Juan's earring?
5. What does Gil Medina make?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Miri's worst fear, and how does this affect Juan?
2. What does Diego say is the difference between the light in Spain and Italy?
3. What does Juan do when his mistress falls sick with the plague?
4. What does Brother Isidro do for Juan while he is sick with the plague?
5. What does Juan demand in return for his service to Don Dimas?
6. What does Don Diego to do study while in Italy?
7. How does Juan describe the first portrait Diego paints of the King?
8. What did Don Diego say Art was meant to be?
9. How does Don Medina say he makes his crucifixes so realistic?
10. How does Juan describe the King?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)