|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the King's hair?
2. What does Brother Isidro say he sees when he looks at Juan?
3. Who shows Juan how to do the hardest task he is assigned for Don Diego?
4. What does the King want Diego to do in Italy?
5. What is the name of the apprentice sent to the palace with Diego?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don Diego to do study while in Italy?
2. What does Master say when Juan asks him to teach him to paint?
3. What does Juan do when his mistress falls sick with the plague?
4. How does Juan describe Italy?
5. What does Mistress say when she sees that Juan is in love?
6. What does Juan find in the house when he wakes up after being sick with the plague?
7. What is Miri's worst fear, and how does this affect Juan?
8. How does Juan describe his first sight of Miri?
9. How does Juan describe the first portrait Diego paints of the King?
10. What does Brother Isidro do when Juan starts to cry after the inventory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Juan endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)