|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juan eat when he wakes up while sick with the plague?
2. What is the Carmelo's occupation?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of Juan's duties to help Diego?
4. What does the Carmelo do on evening nights to amuse himself?
5. Why are the Franciscan brothers so poor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don Diego to do study while in Italy?
2. What does Diego say is the difference between the light in Spain and Italy?
3. What happens when Juan brings a message to Reubens' house from Don Diego?
4. Where does Juan go after his mistress dies?
5. What does Juan demand in return for his service to Don Dimas?
6. What does Juan find in the house when he wakes up after being sick with the plague?
7. How is Juan told to eat while he is on his journey to Madrid?
8. How does Brother Isidro say he sees Juan?
9. What does Mistress allow Juan to do when she sees how disappointed he is about not being taught to paint?
10. How does Juan describe the King?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and describe their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)