|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What delays Diego's trip to Italy?
2. Who talks with Diego before the King comes to see him?
3. Where will Juan be helping his new master?
4. Who is sent to summon a doctor for the slave girl?
5. What does Brother Isidro feed Juan after the inventory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Juan told after waiting for the magistrate for hours?
2. What does the Carmelo do when he finds Juan in Madrid?
3. What does the master in Madrid say to Juan when he wakes up?
4. What does Diego say is the difference between the light in Spain and Italy?
5. How does Juan describe the King?
6. What does Don Diego teach Juan about a blue brocade?
7. What did Don Diego say Art was meant to be?
8. What does Juan find in the house when he wakes up after being sick with the plague?
9. How does Juan describe his first sight of Miri?
10. Where does Juan go after his mistress dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Miri and Lolis are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support and, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
Essay Topic 3
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)