|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Later, after she has the clothes for a bit, how does Elli feel in her new clothes she receives at Augsburg?
2. After the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what happens as the prisoners stand outside the cars?
3. What time do Elli and Laura take a daily lunch break?
4. What is Elli, Laura and Bubi's home like after the war?
5. How does Elli respond to the local woman guessing her age?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli feel so different about her town after the war?
2. What does the interaction between Bubi and Laura at the Muhldorf train station show readers?
3. Why does the family make plans to leave their home town?
4. Why does the arrival of an SS guard change the women's conditions at Augsburg?
5. Why does the entire barrack stay up at night reading a prayer book?
6. Why does Bitton-Jackson include great details about the family's trip back to their home?
7. What is the importance of Laura keeping her handkerchief?
8. Why does Elli call her and her mother's reunion a "divine miracle"?
9. What are Elli's mixed feelings concerning her new clothes at Augsburg?
10. Why do other women help Elli with her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Elli's poetry mean to her? How did the poetry shape her development? Look at others' reactions and her journey as she wrote.
Essay Topic 2
In concentration camps, what aspect of the women's lives did the guards not control?
Essay Topic 3
What were the greatest symbols throughout the book?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)