|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does an SS officer severely beat Elli?
2. What is Elli, Laura and Bubi's home like after the war?
3. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, how does the women's treatment change?
4. In June, what work do the guards assign Elli and her mother?
5. How is Laura severely injured at Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the family make plans to leave their home town?
2. How does Laura's life change after the liberation?
3. Why do other women help Elli with her mother?
4. What are Elli's confused feelings when the women learn about the attempted uprising?
5. Why are the military guards so confused at Augsburg, and what does this say about Elli's condition?
6. Why does Elli call her and her mother's reunion a "divine miracle"?
7. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
8. What is significant about Elli's tattoo at Auschwitz?
9. What is the difficulty the women face after the group of men and women from the uprising are killed?
10. Why does the arrival of an SS guard change the women's conditions at Augsburg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did concentration camp prisoners handle helping each other? Were they more helpful or selfish than under regular life circumstances?
Essay Topic 2
What made Elli live "for a thousand years"?
Essay Topic 3
How did Elli's relationship with her mother change from the start of the book, through the concentration camps, and then as they settle after the war?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)