|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Laura put a piece of cloth around Bubi's head?
2. Where did Bubi's father die?
3. What happens to Laura as she struggles because of her partial paralysis?
4. When the prisoners leaves the cars for the final time, what do the local people do?
5. When the train traveling from the Muhldorf train station stops near a cornfield, what does Laura do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would lead the local woman to believe Elli is "sixty or sixty-two" years old?
2. Why does the entire barrack stay up at night reading a prayer book?
3. What is the difficulty the women face after the group of men and women from the uprising are killed?
4. Why does Elli become angry toward her mother after she saved soup for Elli?
5. What does the interaction between Bubi and Laura at the Muhldorf train station show readers?
6. Why does Elli jump on the guard's back?
7. Why does Elli call her and her mother's reunion a "divine miracle"?
8. What is significant about Elli's tattoo at Auschwitz?
9. Why does Bitton-Jackson include great details about the family's trip back to their home?
10. Why does the arrival of an SS guard change the women's conditions at Augsburg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What overall message did Bitton-Jackson convey to readers?
Essay Topic 2
How was Elli's relationship with her father influential throughout the book? Comment on her actions after his death as well.
Essay Topic 3
What role did Bubi have as the only remaining male in his family?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)