|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Later, after she has the clothes for a bit, how does Elli feel in her new clothes she receives at Augsburg?
2. What does Laura keep wrapped around her foot?
3. What do the soldiers remove from the train cars?
4. What is Elli, Laura and Bubi's home like after the war?
5. After the women's first night at Augsburg, how do the women react to their treatment?
Short Essay Questions
1. At first, how do the military guards treat the women, and how do the women respond at Augsburg?
2. Why does the family make plans to leave their home town?
3. What would lead the local woman to believe Elli is "sixty or sixty-two" years old?
4. What is significant about Elli's tattoo at Auschwitz?
5. What do the women's sleeping arrangements at Auschwitz demonstrate about their treatment?
6. What are Elli's confused feelings when the women learn about the attempted uprising?
7. What are the prisoners reactions to the gunfire and planes in "It's An American Plane"?
8. What do the events from the chapter "Mommy, There's a Worm in Your Soup" demonstrate?
9. Why does Elli call her and her mother's reunion a "divine miracle"?
10. Why does Bitton-Jackson include great details about the family's trip back to their home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the greatest internal conflict a concentration camp prisoner faced? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In concentration camps, what aspect of the women's lives did the guards not control?
Essay Topic 3
What did Elli's poetry mean to her? How did the poetry shape her development? Look at others' reactions and her journey as she wrote.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)