|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task do the military guards give Elli at Augsburg?
2. Immediately following their freedom, what confuses Elli and the other passengers?
3. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, how does the women's treatment change?
4. When Elli arrives at Auschwitz the second time, what happens to the bed above Elli and Laura?
5. When women strip for guards, what is the one possession they retain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would lead the local woman to believe Elli is "sixty or sixty-two" years old?
2. What makes traveling to Auschwitz so difficult?
3. Why do Elli, Bubi, and Laura vow never to separate again?
4. How does Laura's life change after the liberation?
5. Why does the family make plans to leave their home town?
6. What is Elli's internal conflict about making parts for German aircraft?
7. How do the prisoners behave on the cars that leave from the Muhldorf train station?
8. Why do other women help Elli with her mother?
9. Why does Elli feel so different about her town after the war?
10. What are Elli's mixed feelings concerning her new clothes at Augsburg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the chapters' titles shape the overall message of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How was clothing used as a symbol throughout Elli's journey?
Essay Topic 3
How did Laura's sporadic interactions with her extended family contribute to the terrors of the concentration camps?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)