|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elli respond to the local woman guessing her age?
2. What do the women who shoveled snow at Augsburg find?
3. During the rainstorm, what does the commander tell the women?
4. How does Laura respond when the military guard asks her if she can hurry?
5. Immediately following their freedom, what confuses Elli and the other passengers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of Laura keeping her handkerchief?
2. What do the events from the chapter "Mommy, There's a Worm in Your Soup" demonstrate?
3. What would lead the local woman to believe Elli is "sixty or sixty-two" years old?
4. Why does the arrival of an SS guard change the women's conditions at Augsburg?
5. What are Elli's confused feelings when the women learn about the attempted uprising?
6. What do Elli and Laura do with the saved soup? Why?
7. Why does Elli jump on the guard's back?
8. Why does the family make plans to leave their home town?
9. Why do Elli, Bubi, and Laura vow never to separate again?
10. What is sad concerning Laura and Elli's work on leveling a hillside in preparation of construction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Laura's sporadic interactions with her extended family contribute to the terrors of the concentration camps?
Essay Topic 2
How was Elli's relationship with her father influential throughout the book? Comment on her actions after his death as well.
Essay Topic 3
What were the greatest symbols throughout the book?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)