|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what do the planes overhead do?
2. When the women arrive in Augsburg, what initially confuses the military guards?
3. Who plans to help the family in New York?
4. What is Elli's punishment for visiting her mother every morning at the infirmary?
5. What convinces Elli of her father's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of Laura keeping her handkerchief?
2. What does the interaction between Bubi and Laura at the Muhldorf train station show readers?
3. What is significant about Elli's tattoo at Auschwitz?
4. How does Laura's life change after the liberation?
5. Why does the arrival of an SS guard change the women's conditions at Augsburg?
6. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
7. At first, how do the military guards treat the women, and how do the women respond at Augsburg?
8. Why do Elli, Bubi, and Laura vow never to separate again?
9. Why do other women help Elli with her mother?
10. What is sad concerning Laura and Elli's work on leveling a hillside in preparation of construction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the chapters' titles shape the overall message of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What overall message did Bitton-Jackson convey to readers?
Essay Topic 3
What role did Bubi have as the only remaining male in his family?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)