|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Scheidel bring Elli?
2. What do the women who shoveled snow at Augsburg find?
3. What is Elli, Laura and Bubi's home like after the war?
4. Who plans to help the family in New York?
5. After the war, what do the three vow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Laura's life change after the liberation?
2. What does the interaction between Bubi and Laura at the Muhldorf train station show readers?
3. Why do Elli, Bubi, and Laura vow never to separate again?
4. Why does Elli jump on the guard's back?
5. What do Elli and Laura do with the saved soup? Why?
6. What would lead the local woman to believe Elli is "sixty or sixty-two" years old?
7. How do the prisoners behave on the cars that leave from the Muhldorf train station?
8. What is sad concerning Laura and Elli's work on leveling a hillside in preparation of construction?
9. Why are the military guards so confused at Augsburg, and what does this say about Elli's condition?
10. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Elli's relationship with her father influential throughout the book? Comment on her actions after his death as well.
Essay Topic 2
How was clothing used as a symbol throughout Elli's journey?
Essay Topic 3
How did concentration camp prisoners handle helping each other? Were they more helpful or selfish than under regular life circumstances?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)