|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Laura make a lamp for the Sabbath at Augsburg?
2. What do the women who shoveled snow at Augsburg find?
3. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, how does the women's treatment change?
4. After the women waited to travel from Plaszow, what news do they receive?
5. During the women's first night at Augsburg, how do guards feed them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difficulty the women face after the group of men and women from the uprising are killed?
2. Why does Elli jump on the guard's back?
3. What is significant about Elli's tattoo at Auschwitz?
4. What is sad concerning Laura and Elli's work on leveling a hillside in preparation of construction?
5. What makes traveling to Auschwitz so difficult?
6. Why does Bitton-Jackson include great details about the family's trip back to their home?
7. Why does Elli become angry toward her mother after she saved soup for Elli?
8. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
9. Why does Elli want to sing the American national anthem when she arrives at the Statue of Liberty?
10. What is the importance of Laura keeping her handkerchief?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In concentration camps, what aspect of the women's lives did the guards not control?
Essay Topic 2
What made Elli live "for a thousand years"?
Essay Topic 3
How was Elli's relationship with her father influential throughout the book? Comment on her actions after his death as well.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)