|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the women often forced to strip?
2. How does Elli feel about completing a complex part for her work at Augsburg?
3. If Elli and her mother fail to keep pace at work, what is to be their punishment?
4. When the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what is there?
5. What is Elli, Laura and Bubi's home like after the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the arrival of an SS guard change the women's conditions at Augsburg?
2. What do the events from the chapter "Mommy, There's a Worm in Your Soup" demonstrate?
3. What would lead the local woman to believe Elli is "sixty or sixty-two" years old?
4. Why does Elli call her and her mother's reunion a "divine miracle"?
5. Why does Elli feel so different about her town after the war?
6. Why does Elli become angry toward her mother after she saved soup for Elli?
7. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
8. What do the women's sleeping arrangements at Auschwitz demonstrate about their treatment?
9. What is the difficulty the women face after the group of men and women from the uprising are killed?
10. What makes traveling to Auschwitz so difficult?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What overall message did Bitton-Jackson convey to readers?
Essay Topic 2
What was Elli's mood at the start of her story? How did her mood change?
Essay Topic 3
How was Elli's relationship with her father influential throughout the book? Comment on her actions after his death as well.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)