|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is discovered when the women arrive at Camp Landsberg?
2. Why does an SS officer severely beat Elli?
3. How do Elli, Laura, and Bubi make the trip home?
4. After the war, how does Laura earn money for food?
5. When the women leave Plaszow, how do the guards force the inmates to travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. At first, how do the military guards treat the women, and how do the women respond at Augsburg?
2. What do the women's sleeping arrangements at Auschwitz demonstrate about their treatment?
3. What would lead the local woman to believe Elli is "sixty or sixty-two" years old?
4. Why does the family make plans to leave their home town?
5. What are Elli's confused feelings when the women learn about the attempted uprising?
6. How do the prisoners behave on the cars that leave from the Muhldorf train station?
7. Why does Elli become angry toward her mother after she saved soup for Elli?
8. Why does Elli jump on the guard's back?
9. Why does Elli feel so different about her town after the war?
10. Why do Elli, Bubi, and Laura vow never to separate again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In concentration camps, what aspect of the women's lives did the guards not control?
Essay Topic 2
Laura faced numerous conflicts, both internally and externally. What were her greatest conflicts, and whom did they most affect?
Essay Topic 3
How did Elli's relationship with her mother change from the start of the book, through the concentration camps, and then as they settle after the war?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)