|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After discussing Elli's age, what does the local woman do as she leaves?
2. At what point does Elli say she is a true concentration camp inmate?
3. What does the family see on April 7, 1951?
4. When a man is shot and left for dead, what does he do before guards finally kill him?
5. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, how does the women's treatment change?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli want to sing the American national anthem when she arrives at the Statue of Liberty?
2. What is sad concerning Laura and Elli's work on leveling a hillside in preparation of construction?
3. How does Laura's life change after the liberation?
4. What is the difficulty the women face after the group of men and women from the uprising are killed?
5. What is significant about Elli's tattoo at Auschwitz?
6. What are Elli's mixed feelings concerning her new clothes at Augsburg?
7. What do the women's sleeping arrangements at Auschwitz demonstrate about their treatment?
8. What is Elli's internal conflict about making parts for German aircraft?
9. How do the prisoners behave on the cars that leave from the Muhldorf train station?
10. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did Bubi have as the only remaining male in his family?
Essay Topic 2
How did Elli's relationship with her mother change from the start of the book, through the concentration camps, and then as they settle after the war?
Essay Topic 3
How did the incremental changes Jews faced during World War II ultimately lead to the destruction of many Jews?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)