|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens the day the food arrives early at Laura and Elli's work?
2. What is discovered when the women arrive at Camp Landsberg?
3. After the war, how does Laura earn money for food?
4. What is Elli, Laura and Bubi's home like after the war?
5. In "Herr Zerkubel" how are the women sorted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes traveling to Auschwitz so difficult?
2. Why does Elli become angry toward her mother after she saved soup for Elli?
3. How do the prisoners behave on the cars that leave from the Muhldorf train station?
4. What are Elli's mixed feelings concerning her new clothes at Augsburg?
5. What would lead the local woman to believe Elli is "sixty or sixty-two" years old?
6. What does the interaction between Bubi and Laura at the Muhldorf train station show readers?
7. Why does the entire barrack stay up at night reading a prayer book?
8. What do Elli and Laura do with the saved soup? Why?
9. Why does Elli call her and her mother's reunion a "divine miracle"?
10. What is Elli's internal conflict about making parts for German aircraft?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What made Elli live "for a thousand years"?
Essay Topic 2
What did Elli's poetry mean to her? How did the poetry shape her development? Look at others' reactions and her journey as she wrote.
Essay Topic 3
How was Elli's relationship with her father influential throughout the book? Comment on her actions after his death as well.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)