|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what happens as the prisoners stand outside the cars?
2. How does Laura respond when the military guard asks her if she can hurry?
3. When Elli arrives at Auschwitz for the second time, what does Laura continually tell Elli?
4. How do Elli, Laura, and Bubi make the trip home?
5. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, how does the women's treatment change?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Elli, Bubi, and Laura vow never to separate again?
2. What does the interaction between Bubi and Laura at the Muhldorf train station show readers?
3. What would lead the local woman to believe Elli is "sixty or sixty-two" years old?
4. How does Laura's life change after the liberation?
5. Why does Elli want to sing the American national anthem when she arrives at the Statue of Liberty?
6. Why does the family make plans to leave their home town?
7. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
8. What are the prisoners reactions to the gunfire and planes in "It's An American Plane"?
9. Why do other women help Elli with her mother?
10. What is the importance of Laura keeping her handkerchief?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Elli's relationship with her mother change from the start of the book, through the concentration camps, and then as they settle after the war?
Essay Topic 2
How was Elli's relationship with her father influential throughout the book? Comment on her actions after his death as well.
Essay Topic 3
How did Laura's sporadic interactions with her extended family contribute to the terrors of the concentration camps?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)