|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what point does Elli say she is a true concentration camp inmate?
2. When Elli arrives at Auschwitz the second time, what happens to the bed above Elli and Laura?
3. When Elli arrives at Auschwitz the second time, what does she realize?
4. When do Elli, Laura, and Bubi begin making the trip home?
5. When the prisoners leaves the cars for the final time, what do the local people do?
Short Essay Questions
1. At first, how do the military guards treat the women, and how do the women respond at Augsburg?
2. What is sad concerning Laura and Elli's work on leveling a hillside in preparation of construction?
3. What do the women's sleeping arrangements at Auschwitz demonstrate about their treatment?
4. What makes traveling to Auschwitz so difficult?
5. Why do other women help Elli with her mother?
6. What are the prisoners reactions to the gunfire and planes in "It's An American Plane"?
7. Why does the family make plans to leave their home town?
8. Why does Bitton-Jackson include great details about the family's trip back to their home?
9. What is Elli's internal conflict about making parts for German aircraft?
10. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Elli's dream the night her father died. How did this dream prove that her father was dead?
Essay Topic 2
What did Elli's poetry mean to her? How did the poetry shape her development? Look at others' reactions and her journey as she wrote.
Essay Topic 3
Look at the impact Livia Bitton-Jackson's book has on readers and society. What is the impact of books written by Holocaust survivors?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)