|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, what happens to women's food?
2. During the rainstorm, what does the commander tell the women?
3. On the night of Laura's injury at Auschwitz, what does Elli do?
4. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, what do the military guards begin doing?
5. What is Elli's punishment for retrieving her coat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
2. Why does Elli want to sing the American national anthem when she arrives at the Statue of Liberty?
3. Why does Elli feel so different about her town after the war?
4. Why are the military guards so confused at Augsburg, and what does this say about Elli's condition?
5. What is Elli's internal conflict about making parts for German aircraft?
6. How do the prisoners behave on the cars that leave from the Muhldorf train station?
7. How does Laura's life change after the liberation?
8. What do the women's sleeping arrangements at Auschwitz demonstrate about their treatment?
9. What do the events from the chapter "Mommy, There's a Worm in Your Soup" demonstrate?
10. Why does Elli jump on the guard's back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the greatest symbols throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
How did Laura's sporadic interactions with her extended family contribute to the terrors of the concentration camps?
Essay Topic 3
What did Elli's poetry mean to her? How did the poetry shape her development? Look at others' reactions and her journey as she wrote.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)