|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the family wait at their home after the war?
2. Where does Bubi receive permission to attend school after the war?
3. What do Elli and Laura do the night before the scheduled decimation?
4. How does Elli respond to the local woman guessing her age?
5. After the women's first night at Augsburg, how do the women react to their treatment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Elli's internal conflict about making parts for German aircraft?
2. Why does Elli call her and her mother's reunion a "divine miracle"?
3. How do the prisoners behave on the cars that leave from the Muhldorf train station?
4. At first, how do the military guards treat the women, and how do the women respond at Augsburg?
5. What is significant about Elli's tattoo at Auschwitz?
6. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
7. Why are the military guards so confused at Augsburg, and what does this say about Elli's condition?
8. What do the events from the chapter "Mommy, There's a Worm in Your Soup" demonstrate?
9. Why does Bitton-Jackson include great details about the family's trip back to their home?
10. Why does the arrival of an SS guard change the women's conditions at Augsburg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the incremental changes Jews faced during World War II ultimately lead to the destruction of many Jews?
Essay Topic 2
Considering Jewish beliefs and customs, what were purposeful and degrading rituals at concentration camps?
Essay Topic 3
Laura faced numerous conflicts, both internally and externally. What were her greatest conflicts, and whom did they most affect?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)