|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elli first feel in her new clothes she receives at Augsburg?
2. What does the family see on April 7, 1951?
3. The women learn that the civilians killed earlier were part of ___________.
4. What is Laura's assignment at Waldlager?
5. If Elli and her mother fail to keep pace at work, what is to be their punishment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bitton-Jackson include great details about the family's trip back to their home?
2. What are Elli's mixed feelings concerning her new clothes at Augsburg?
3. At first, how do the military guards treat the women, and how do the women respond at Augsburg?
4. Why are the military guards so confused at Augsburg, and what does this say about Elli's condition?
5. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
6. Why does the arrival of an SS guard change the women's conditions at Augsburg?
7. Why does Elli jump on the guard's back?
8. What is the importance of Laura keeping her handkerchief?
9. Why does Elli want to sing the American national anthem when she arrives at the Statue of Liberty?
10. What do the events from the chapter "Mommy, There's a Worm in Your Soup" demonstrate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What overall message did Bitton-Jackson convey to readers?
Essay Topic 2
How did the chapters' titles shape the overall message of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Elli's dream the night her father died. How did this dream prove that her father was dead?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)