|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the train traveling from the Muhldorf train station stops near a cornfield, what do many prisoners do?
2. In "Herr Zerkubel" how are the women sorted?
3. After the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what do the planes overhead do?
4. How does Laura make a lamp for the Sabbath at Augsburg?
5. When a man is shot and left for dead, what does he do before guards finally kill him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
2. Why are the military guards so confused at Augsburg, and what does this say about Elli's condition?
3. Why does Elli jump on the guard's back?
4. What are the prisoners reactions to the gunfire and planes in "It's An American Plane"?
5. What do Elli and Laura do with the saved soup? Why?
6. What is the importance of Laura keeping her handkerchief?
7. Why do Elli, Bubi, and Laura vow never to separate again?
8. What are Elli's mixed feelings concerning her new clothes at Augsburg?
9. At first, how do the military guards treat the women, and how do the women respond at Augsburg?
10. Why do other women help Elli with her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What made Elli live "for a thousand years"?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the impact Livia Bitton-Jackson's book has on readers and society. What is the impact of books written by Holocaust survivors?
Essay Topic 3
How did the chapters' titles shape the overall message of the book?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)