|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Elli's last train ride under the German soldiers' control, who is there when the doors open?
2. When the train traveling from the Muhldorf train station stops near a cornfield, what do many prisoners do?
3. How long wis Elli and Laura's lunch break?
4. When the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what is there?
5. What is discovered when the women arrive at Camp Landsberg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes traveling to Auschwitz so difficult?
2. Why does the family make plans to leave their home town?
3. At first, how do the military guards treat the women, and how do the women respond at Augsburg?
4. Why does Elli want to sing the American national anthem when she arrives at the Statue of Liberty?
5. What does the interaction between Bubi and Laura at the Muhldorf train station show readers?
6. How do the prisoners behave on the cars that leave from the Muhldorf train station?
7. Why does the entire barrack stay up at night reading a prayer book?
8. What do Elli and Laura do with the saved soup? Why?
9. Why does Elli jump on the guard's back?
10. What is sad concerning Laura and Elli's work on leveling a hillside in preparation of construction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Elli's dream the night her father died. How did this dream prove that her father was dead?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the impact Livia Bitton-Jackson's book has on readers and society. What is the impact of books written by Holocaust survivors?
Essay Topic 3
How did the chapters' titles shape the overall message of the book?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)