|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the women arrive in Augsburg, what do the SS guards immediately do?
2. During the women's first night at Augsburg, how do guards feed them?
3. When the guards give the women new clothes at Augsburg, what does Elli receive?
4. In June, what work do the guards assign Elli and her mother?
5. On the day of the scheduled decimation, what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the events from the chapter "Mommy, There's a Worm in Your Soup" demonstrate?
2. What is Elli's internal conflict about making parts for German aircraft?
3. What is the importance of Laura keeping her handkerchief?
4. Why does Elli call her and her mother's reunion a "divine miracle"?
5. What are Elli's confused feelings when the women learn about the attempted uprising?
6. Why does Elli jump on the guard's back?
7. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
8. What do the women's sleeping arrangements at Auschwitz demonstrate about their treatment?
9. How does Laura's life change after the liberation?
10. What would lead the local woman to believe Elli is "sixty or sixty-two" years old?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Laura faced numerous conflicts, both internally and externally. What were her greatest conflicts, and whom did they most affect?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the impact Livia Bitton-Jackson's book has on readers and society. What is the impact of books written by Holocaust survivors?
Essay Topic 3
What overall message did Bitton-Jackson convey to readers?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)