|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, how does the women's treatment change?
2. How do Elli, Laura, and Bubi make the trip home?
3. What is Laura's assignment at Waldlager?
4. How does Elli feel in her home town after the war?
5. As the women traveled, what makes them feel better?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the prisoners reactions to the gunfire and planes in "It's An American Plane"?
2. Why does the entire barrack stay up at night reading a prayer book?
3. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
4. Why does Bitton-Jackson include great details about the family's trip back to their home?
5. What is sad concerning Laura and Elli's work on leveling a hillside in preparation of construction?
6. Why does Elli jump on the guard's back?
7. What do Elli and Laura do with the saved soup? Why?
8. What is the importance of Laura keeping her handkerchief?
9. What makes traveling to Auschwitz so difficult?
10. Why does the arrival of an SS guard change the women's conditions at Augsburg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did concentration camp prisoners handle helping each other? Were they more helpful or selfish than under regular life circumstances?
Essay Topic 2
How did Elli's relationship with her mother change from the start of the book, through the concentration camps, and then as they settle after the war?
Essay Topic 3
What overall message did Bitton-Jackson convey to readers?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)