|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elli do with her poetry journal when she sees a young mother denied possession of a single photo?
2. How far is Nagymagyar from Elli's home?
3. How does Bubi manage to return from Budapest after the story breaks in the papers?
4. What do Marta Kalman and her mother bring Elli?
5. Under what conditions does Elli leave her school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Mengele tell Laura that Elli needs her more than Aunt Serene does?
2. How does the failed date with Jansci affect Elli?
3. Why do soldiers make members of the ghetto surrender all books, documents, and photos?
4. What is Laura's fear as she and Elli leave Auschwitz?
5. At the start of her story, how do Elli's actions as her life starts to change indirectly describe her?
6. How do Hindi, Suri Schreiber, and Aunt Celia help Laura and Elli on their first day at Auschwitz?
7. What is the mood when the women smell gas behind closed doors?
8. What is Bubi's relationship with other people?
9. What happens to the prisoners when they arrive at Auschwitz?
10. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Laura's sporadic interactions with her extended family contribute to the terrors of the concentration camps?
Essay Topic 2
How did Elli's relationship with her mother change from the start of the book, through the concentration camps, and then as they settle after the war?
Essay Topic 3
What did Elli's poetry mean to her? How did the poetry shape her development? Look at others' reactions and her journey as she wrote.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)