|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Elli and Laura arrive at the waiting cart for Nagymagar, why are the soldiers angry?
2. After a guard takes the young girl during the riot, what do the females hear?
3. What is each family supposed to take to Nagymagyar?
4. How far is Nagymagyar from Elli's home?
5. On what does Elli's poetry focus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli and her mother go to the cemetery before leaving for the ghetto?
2. Why does Elli refuse to go out in her town?
3. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
4. How do Hindi, Suri Schreiber, and Aunt Celia help Laura and Elli on their first day at Auschwitz?
5. Why is the first chapter titled "The City of My Dreams"?
6. How does the failed date with Jansci affect Elli?
7. Why would Bubi's father ignore his story concerning Budapest?
8. What honesty does the chapter "Teen Vanity" bring to the book?
9. What is the irony of Laura's excitement about moving to a work camp?
10. What do Elli, her family, and other Jews do when they arrive at the ghetto?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the greatest symbols throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
What was the greatest internal conflict a concentration camp prisoner faced? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Considering Jewish beliefs and customs, what were purposeful and degrading rituals at concentration camps?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)