|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Elli and Laura first notice about "The Ghetto"?
2. Why does Elli believe her mother slights her?
3. What do the aunt and cousins say about Elli and her mother's reaction to their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
4. What is Laura's reaction about Aunt Serene's orders to go to a side different from Laura's during selection?
5. What does a young girl do during a riot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Elli's confused feelings when the women learn about the attempted uprising?
2. What is the difficulty the women face after the group of men and women from the uprising are killed?
3. Why does Elli become angry toward her mother after she saved soup for Elli?
4. How does the failed date with Jansci affect Elli?
5. What honesty does the chapter "Teen Vanity" bring to the book?
6. What does the color 'yellow' symbolize in Elli's life?
7. What are the prisoners reactions to the gunfire and planes in "It's An American Plane"?
8. What are Elli's mixed feelings concerning her new clothes at Augsburg?
9. Why do other women help Elli with her mother?
10. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Elli's relationship with her mother change from the start of the book, through the concentration camps, and then as they settle after the war?
Essay Topic 2
How did the incremental changes Jews faced during World War II ultimately lead to the destruction of many Jews?
Essay Topic 3
Considering Jewish beliefs and customs, what were purposeful and degrading rituals at concentration camps?
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)