|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Celia do on June 9 and 10?
2. Who is Pinhas?
3. What story does Bubbi tell his family in the middle of the night?
4. Why does Laura hate leaving her sister behind at Auschwitz?
5. Why does Elli's father think ambition is a desirable trait?
Short Essay Questions
1. From Elli's father's stance on ambition, what do readers learn about him?
2. Why would Bubi's father ignore his story concerning Budapest?
3. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
4. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
5. At the start of her story, how do Elli's actions as her life starts to change indirectly describe her?
6. How do Hindi, Suri Schreiber, and Aunt Celia help Laura and Elli on their first day at Auschwitz?
7. Why does Dr. Mengele tell Laura that Elli needs her more than Aunt Serene does?
8. Why does Aunt Serena become so agitated the night before they leave for work camp?
9. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
10. Why do soldiers make members of the ghetto surrender all books, documents, and photos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the incremental changes Jews faced during World War II ultimately lead to the destruction of many Jews?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the impact Livia Bitton-Jackson's book has on readers and society. What is the impact of books written by Holocaust survivors?
Essay Topic 3
What were the greatest symbols throughout the book?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)