|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elli work in school?
2. Why does Elli return to her school after the schools are closed?
3. What does the town crier announce concerning Jews and socialization?
4. What does Elli learn from the town crier?
5. What does Aunt Serena do with dishes before leaving on May 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli refuse to go out in her town?
2. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
3. What does the color 'yellow' symbolize in Elli's life?
4. How do Hindi, Suri Schreiber, and Aunt Celia help Laura and Elli on their first day at Auschwitz?
5. What honesty does the chapter "Teen Vanity" bring to the book?
6. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
7. What happens to the prisoners when they arrive at Auschwitz?
8. What is ironic about the guards telling the prisoners to leave their possessions on the cattle cars?
9. What is Elli's fear as she and Laura leave Auschwitz the first time?
10. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was clothing used as a symbol throughout Elli's journey?
Essay Topic 2
What made Elli live "for a thousand years"?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Elli's dream the night her father died. How did this dream prove that her father was dead?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)