|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Laura and Elli plan to travel to Nagymagyar?
2. How does Bubi react to the news from the town crier?
3. Why had the woman in charge of the barracks paid a horrible price for her survival?
4. After their showers at Auschwitz, what do Elli and her mother desperately want?
5. What does Elli's father show her in the basement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli refuse to go out in her town?
2. What do Elli, her family, and other Jews do when they arrive at the ghetto?
3. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
4. Why does Elli's father become like "a statue of stone" as the family prepares for Nagymagyar?
5. What is the irony of Laura's excitement about moving to a work camp?
6. What honesty does the chapter "Teen Vanity" bring to the book?
7. How does the failed date with Jansci affect Elli?
8. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
9. What is the girl like who oversees the barracks?
10. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Elli's dream the night her father died. How did this dream prove that her father was dead?
Essay Topic 2
Laura faced numerous conflicts, both internally and externally. What were her greatest conflicts, and whom did they most affect?
Essay Topic 3
How did Elli's relationship with her mother change from the start of the book, through the concentration camps, and then as they settle after the war?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)