|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the guards do with all the Jews' books, documents, and photos?
2. How does Elli feel as she travels away from Auschwitz?
3. Elli thinks her mother's favorite child is _______________.
4. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura's father spend time doing?
5. What do Marta Kalman and her mother bring Elli?
Short Essay Questions
1. What honesty does the chapter "Teen Vanity" bring to the book?
2. What does the color 'yellow' symbolize in Elli's life?
3. Why does Elli and her mother go to the cemetery before leaving for the ghetto?
4. What is Elli's fear as she and Laura leave Auschwitz the first time?
5. Why does Aunt Serena become so agitated the night before they leave for work camp?
6. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
7. How do Hindi, Suri Schreiber, and Aunt Celia help Laura and Elli on their first day at Auschwitz?
8. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
9. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
10. What is the girl like who oversees the barracks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the chapters' titles shape the overall message of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How did concentration camp prisoners handle helping each other? Were they more helpful or selfish than under regular life circumstances?
Essay Topic 3
In concentration camps, what aspect of the women's lives did the guards not control?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)