|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the aunt and cousins say about Elli and her mother's reaction to their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
2. Why does Elli's father think ambition is a desirable trait?
3. How do other boys react to Bubi's attitude concerning his yellow star?
4. How does Elli feel as she travels away from Auschwitz?
5. What does the town crier announce as forbidden access for Jews?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Hindi, Suri Schreiber, and Aunt Celia help Laura and Elli on their first day at Auschwitz?
2. What does Elli's relationship with Jansci bring to her life?
3. Why does Elli and her mother go to the cemetery before leaving for the ghetto?
4. What happens to the prisoners when they arrive at Auschwitz?
5. How does the failed date with Jansci affect Elli?
6. What is the mood when the women smell gas behind closed doors?
7. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
8. Why do the guards hit the women who bring blankets outside?
9. Why does Elli's father become like "a statue of stone" as the family prepares for Nagymagyar?
10. Why does Dr. Mengele tell Laura that Elli needs her more than Aunt Serene does?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Elli's poetry mean to her? How did the poetry shape her development? Look at others' reactions and her journey as she wrote.
Essay Topic 2
Laura faced numerous conflicts, both internally and externally. What were her greatest conflicts, and whom did they most affect?
Essay Topic 3
Explore how Elli's father had to leave the family. What impact did her father's leaving have on Elli's life?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)