|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After finding their cousins, where are Laura and Elli directed?
2. What is the setting as the story opens?
3. How does Elli feel as she travels away from Auschwitz?
4. How does Laura demonstrate affection?
5. How long does it take Elli to arrive at Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli and her mother go to the cemetery before leaving for the ghetto?
2. What honesty does the chapter "Teen Vanity" bring to the book?
3. How do Hindi, Suri Schreiber, and Aunt Celia help Laura and Elli on their first day at Auschwitz?
4. What does Elli's relationship with Jansci bring to her life?
5. Describe Laura's "lack of affection."
6. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
7. What is ironic about the guards telling the prisoners to leave their possessions on the cattle cars?
8. What do Elli, her family, and other Jews do when they arrive at the ghetto?
9. How does the failed date with Jansci affect Elli?
10. Why is the first chapter titled "The City of My Dreams"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Laura's sporadic interactions with her extended family contribute to the terrors of the concentration camps?
Essay Topic 2
What made Elli live "for a thousand years"?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the impact Livia Bitton-Jackson's book has on readers and society. What is the impact of books written by Holocaust survivors?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)