|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bubi manage to return from Budapest after the story breaks in the papers?
2. At the start of the book, why do the Hungarian police bother Elli's family?
3. After the women are driven into a room at Auschwitz, what happens to them?
4. Who is head of the barracks and inmates at Auschwitz?
5. How does Laura demonstrate affection?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the guards telling the prisoners to leave their possessions on the cattle cars?
2. Why is the first chapter titled "The City of My Dreams"?
3. Why do the guards hit the women who bring blankets outside?
4. Why does Elli's father become like "a statue of stone" as the family prepares for Nagymagyar?
5. What do Elli, her family, and other Jews do when they arrive at the ghetto?
6. What is the girl like who oversees the barracks?
7. From Elli's father's stance on ambition, what do readers learn about him?
8. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
9. Why does Elli and her mother go to the cemetery before leaving for the ghetto?
10. What happens to the prisoners when they arrive at Auschwitz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Elli's poetry mean to her? How did the poetry shape her development? Look at others' reactions and her journey as she wrote.
Essay Topic 2
How did the chapters' titles shape the overall message of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Considering Jewish beliefs and customs, what were purposeful and degrading rituals at concentration camps?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)