|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Old Mr. Stern pray?
2. As the guards order women to take their blankets inside, what do they do to the women?
3. What surrendered possession bothers Elli the most?
4. What does Elli's father show her in the basement?
5. Why does Laura hate leaving her sister behind at Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
2. What is the irony of Laura's excitement about moving to a work camp?
3. Why do the guards hit the women who bring blankets outside?
4. What happens to the prisoners when they arrive at Auschwitz?
5. How do Hindi, Suri Schreiber, and Aunt Celia help Laura and Elli on their first day at Auschwitz?
6. Why does Elli refuse to go out in her town?
7. What is Laura's fear as she and Elli leave Auschwitz?
8. From Elli's father's stance on ambition, what do readers learn about him?
9. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
10. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the impact Livia Bitton-Jackson's book has on readers and society. What is the impact of books written by Holocaust survivors?
Essay Topic 2
How did concentration camp prisoners handle helping each other? Were they more helpful or selfish than under regular life circumstances?
Essay Topic 3
How did Laura's sporadic interactions with her extended family contribute to the terrors of the concentration camps?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)