|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Elli and Laura arrive at the waiting cart for Nagymagar, why are the soldiers angry?
2. What is the setting as the story opens?
3. After their showers at Auschwitz, what do Elli and her mother desperately want?
4. What is Laura's reaction about Aunt Serene's orders to go to a side different from Laura's during selection?
5. What do Elli and her mother do with their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the prisoners reactions to the gunfire and planes in "It's An American Plane"?
2. Why does Bitton-Jackson include great details about the family's trip back to their home?
3. Why do Elli, Bubi, and Laura vow never to separate again?
4. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
5. What is sad concerning Laura and Elli's work on leveling a hillside in preparation of construction?
6. Why does Elli jump on the guard's back?
7. What is the girl like who oversees the barracks?
8. Why does Elli call her and her mother's reunion a "divine miracle"?
9. What do Elli and Laura do with the saved soup? Why?
10. Why does Elli want to sing the American national anthem when she arrives at the Statue of Liberty?
Essay Topic 1
How did the chapters' titles shape the overall message of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How was clothing used as a symbol throughout Elli's journey?
Essay Topic 3
What was Elli's mood at the start of her story? How did her mood change?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)