|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elli feel as she travels away from Auschwitz?
2. When the guards force the women outside for roll call, what does Elli wish she had thought about earlier?
3. Who largely packs for Nagymagyar?
4. As she leaves town, how does Elli ride?
5. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aunt Serena become so agitated the night before they leave for work camp?
2. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
3. How do Hindi, Suri Schreiber, and Aunt Celia help Laura and Elli on their first day at Auschwitz?
4. What is the girl like who oversees the barracks?
5. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
6. Why is the first chapter titled "The City of My Dreams"?
7. From Elli's father's stance on ambition, what do readers learn about him?
8. What do Elli, her family, and other Jews do when they arrive at the ghetto?
9. What is Laura's fear as she and Elli leave Auschwitz?
10. What honesty does the chapter "Teen Vanity" bring to the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What made Elli live "for a thousand years"?
Essay Topic 2
How was clothing used as a symbol throughout Elli's journey?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Elli's dream the night her father died. How did this dream prove that her father was dead?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)