|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was food distributed at Auschwitz?
2. How old is Elli as the story opens?
3. When Elli returns to her school, what award does she learn she received?
4. At the start of the book, why do the Hungarian police bother Elli's family?
5. What are the overall living conditions in "The Ghetto" for Jewish families?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli and her mother go to the cemetery before leaving for the ghetto?
2. Why does Dr. Mengele tell Laura that Elli needs her more than Aunt Serene does?
3. Why does Aunt Serena become so agitated the night before they leave for work camp?
4. What happens to the prisoners when they arrive at Auschwitz?
5. What do Elli, her family, and other Jews do when they arrive at the ghetto?
6. What is Elli's fear as she and Laura leave Auschwitz the first time?
7. From Elli's father's stance on ambition, what do readers learn about him?
8. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
9. Why is the first chapter titled "The City of My Dreams"?
10. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the chapters' titles shape the overall message of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Considering Jewish beliefs and customs, what were purposeful and degrading rituals at concentration camps?
Essay Topic 3
What overall message did Bitton-Jackson convey to readers?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)