|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elli work in school?
2. What does the town crier announce concerning Jews and socialization?
3. What story does Bubbi tell his family in the middle of the night?
4. Where are many families sleeping in "The Ghetto"?
5. How does Elli's father react to Bubi's story from the middle of the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the start of her story, how do Elli's actions as her life starts to change indirectly describe her?
2. How does the failed date with Jansci affect Elli?
3. Why is the first chapter titled "The City of My Dreams"?
4. Why does Elli and her mother go to the cemetery before leaving for the ghetto?
5. What is the irony of Laura's excitement about moving to a work camp?
6. Why does Dr. Mengele tell Laura that Elli needs her more than Aunt Serene does?
7. What is Elli's fear as she and Laura leave Auschwitz the first time?
8. What is the girl like who oversees the barracks?
9. Why does Elli refuse to go out in her town?
10. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the impact Livia Bitton-Jackson's book has on readers and society. What is the impact of books written by Holocaust survivors?
Essay Topic 2
How did Laura's sporadic interactions with her extended family contribute to the terrors of the concentration camps?
Essay Topic 3
How was Elli's relationship with her father influential throughout the book? Comment on her actions after his death as well.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)