|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Elli finally place her poetry journal before leaving for the work camps?
2. Why does a girl have blood running down her leg?
3. What is the penalty for Christians who socialize with Jews?
4. How do other boys react to Bubi's attitude concerning his yellow star?
5. For what are the women punished at Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli's father become like "a statue of stone" as the family prepares for Nagymagyar?
2. Why is the first chapter titled "The City of My Dreams"?
3. Why does Dr. Mengele tell Laura that Elli needs her more than Aunt Serene does?
4. What does the color 'yellow' symbolize in Elli's life?
5. What is ironic about the guards telling the prisoners to leave their possessions on the cattle cars?
6. Why does Elli and her mother go to the cemetery before leaving for the ghetto?
7. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
8. How does the failed date with Jansci affect Elli?
9. What does Elli's relationship with Jansci bring to her life?
10. How do Hindi, Suri Schreiber, and Aunt Celia help Laura and Elli on their first day at Auschwitz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Elli's relationship with her father influential throughout the book? Comment on her actions after his death as well.
Essay Topic 2
Considering Jewish beliefs and customs, what were purposeful and degrading rituals at concentration camps?
Essay Topic 3
What was Elli's mood at the start of her story? How did her mood change?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)