|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elli learn from the town crier?
2. Who is head of the barracks and inmates at Auschwitz?
3. How do Laura and Elli plan to travel to Nagymagyar?
4. How long does it take Elli to arrive at Auschwitz?
5. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the prisoners reactions to the gunfire and planes in "It's An American Plane"?
2. Why does Elli and her mother go to the cemetery before leaving for the ghetto?
3. What is Bubi's relationship with other people?
4. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
5. Why does Elli refuse to go out in her town?
6. What is sad concerning Laura and Elli's work on leveling a hillside in preparation of construction?
7. What is the irony of Laura's excitement about moving to a work camp?
8. At the start of her story, how do Elli's actions as her life starts to change indirectly describe her?
9. Why does the entire barrack stay up at night reading a prayer book?
10. What is the importance of Laura keeping her handkerchief?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Elli's dream the night her father died. How did this dream prove that her father was dead?
Essay Topic 2
How was clothing used as a symbol throughout Elli's journey?
Essay Topic 3
How did concentration camp prisoners handle helping each other? Were they more helpful or selfish than under regular life circumstances?
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)