|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Elli, her mother, aunt, and two cousins form a group at mealtime?
2. Why do soldiers order Elli to go to Nagymagyar?
3. How do other boys react to Bubi's attitude concerning his yellow star?
4. Why does a girl have blood running down her leg?
5. What does a young girl do during a riot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Bubi's father ignore his story concerning Budapest?
2. What is ironic about the guards telling the prisoners to leave their possessions on the cattle cars?
3. What is Elli's fear as she and Laura leave Auschwitz the first time?
4. Describe Laura's "lack of affection."
5. Why does Aunt Serena become so agitated the night before they leave for work camp?
6. How does the failed date with Jansci affect Elli?
7. What does Elli's relationship with Jansci bring to her life?
8. What is Bubi's relationship with other people?
9. What is Laura's fear as she and Elli leave Auschwitz?
10. What does the color 'yellow' symbolize in Elli's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Elli's relationship with her mother change from the start of the book, through the concentration camps, and then as they settle after the war?
Essay Topic 2
Explore how Elli's father had to leave the family. What impact did her father's leaving have on Elli's life?
Essay Topic 3
What role did Bubi have as the only remaining male in his family?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)