|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Elli sees her reflection on June 3, what is her reaction?
2. How does Bubbi attain good grades in school?
3. How do other boys react to Bubi's attitude concerning his yellow star?
4. Where do Bonnie and Elli go to swim?
5. What do the aunt and cousins say about Elli and her mother's reaction to their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Laura's life change after the liberation?
2. Why is the first chapter titled "The City of My Dreams"?
3. Why does Elli feel so different about her town after the war?
4. What is Bubi's relationship with other people?
5. What is Elli's fear as she and Laura leave Auschwitz the first time?
6. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
7. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
8. Why does the arrival of an SS guard change the women's conditions at Augsburg?
9. What is the mood when the women smell gas behind closed doors?
10. At the start of her story, how do Elli's actions as her life starts to change indirectly describe her?
Essay Topic 1
How was Elli's relationship with her father influential throughout the book? Comment on her actions after his death as well.
Essay Topic 2
What role did Bubi have as the only remaining male in his family?
Essay Topic 3
How did concentration camp prisoners handle helping each other? Were they more helpful or selfish than under regular life circumstances?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)