|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jancsi want to meet Elli?
2. How far is Nagymagyar from Elli's home?
3. As Bubi leaves his mother at Auschwitz, what does she see?
4. What does Aunt Serena do with dishes before leaving on May 2?
5. How does Bubi manage to return from Budapest after the story breaks in the papers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the first chapter titled "The City of My Dreams"?
2. Why does Elli refuse to go out in her town?
3. What is Bubi's relationship with other people?
4. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
5. What happens to the prisoners when they arrive at Auschwitz?
6. What does the color 'yellow' symbolize in Elli's life?
7. Why do the guards hit the women who bring blankets outside?
8. What honesty does the chapter "Teen Vanity" bring to the book?
9. What is Laura's fear as she and Elli leave Auschwitz?
10. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did Bubi have as the only remaining male in his family?
Essay Topic 2
What overall message did Bitton-Jackson convey to readers?
Essay Topic 3
What were the greatest symbols throughout the book?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)