|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a girl have blood running down her leg?
2. What is the setting as the story opens?
3. Who is head of the barracks and inmates at Auschwitz?
4. At the start of the book, how does Elli spend her days?
5. What are Elli's family living quarters in "The Ghetto"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the guards telling the prisoners to leave their possessions on the cattle cars?
2. From Elli's father's stance on ambition, what do readers learn about him?
3. What happens to the prisoners when they arrive at Auschwitz?
4. Why would Bubi's father ignore his story concerning Budapest?
5. What is the irony of Laura's excitement about moving to a work camp?
6. What is Elli's fear as she and Laura leave Auschwitz the first time?
7. Why do the guards hit the women who bring blankets outside?
8. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
9. Why does Aunt Serena become so agitated the night before they leave for work camp?
10. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What overall message did Bitton-Jackson convey to readers?
Essay Topic 2
What role did Bubi have as the only remaining male in his family?
Essay Topic 3
How was Elli's relationship with her father influential throughout the book? Comment on her actions after his death as well.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)