|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was food distributed at Auschwitz?
2. At Auschwitz, what clothes do the women receive?
3. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
4. When Elli and Laura arrive at the waiting cart for Nagymagar, why are the soldiers angry?
5. During selection, what warning does Elli receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Laura's fear as she and Elli leave Auschwitz?
2. What does the color 'yellow' symbolize in Elli's life?
3. What is ironic about the guards telling the prisoners to leave their possessions on the cattle cars?
4. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
5. What is the mood when the women smell gas behind closed doors?
6. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
7. Why does Dr. Mengele tell Laura that Elli needs her more than Aunt Serene does?
8. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
9. Why is the first chapter titled "The City of My Dreams"?
10. What is Elli's fear as she and Laura leave Auschwitz the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Considering Jewish beliefs and customs, what were purposeful and degrading rituals at concentration camps?
Essay Topic 2
What overall message did Bitton-Jackson convey to readers?
Essay Topic 3
How was Elli's relationship with her father influential throughout the book? Comment on her actions after his death as well.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)