|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Elli and Laura first notice about "The Ghetto"?
2. When Elli sees her reflection on June 3, what is her reaction?
3. Why does Elli believe her mother slights her?
4. What future plans does Elli have for Budapest?
5. What are the overall living conditions in "The Ghetto" for Jewish families?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Hindi, Suri Schreiber, and Aunt Celia help Laura and Elli on their first day at Auschwitz?
2. Why is the first chapter titled "The City of My Dreams"?
3. What do Elli, her family, and other Jews do when they arrive at the ghetto?
4. What is ironic about the guards telling the prisoners to leave their possessions on the cattle cars?
5. What is the girl like who oversees the barracks?
6. What does Elli's relationship with Jansci bring to her life?
7. Why does Aunt Serena become so agitated the night before they leave for work camp?
8. Why would Bubi's father ignore his story concerning Budapest?
9. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
10. At the start of her story, how do Elli's actions as her life starts to change indirectly describe her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In concentration camps, what aspect of the women's lives did the guards not control?
Essay Topic 2
What was Elli's mood at the start of her story? How did her mood change?
Essay Topic 3
What were the greatest symbols throughout the book?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)