|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Elli to arrive at Auschwitz?
2. At the start of the book, why do the Hungarian police bother Elli's family?
3. Whom does Elli's family share a house with in "The Ghetto"?
4. After the women are driven into a room at Auschwitz, what happens to them?
5. When the guards force the women outside for roll call, what does Elli wish she had thought about earlier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
2. Why does Aunt Serena become so agitated the night before they leave for work camp?
3. What does Elli's relationship with Jansci bring to her life?
4. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
5. Why would Bubi's father ignore his story concerning Budapest?
6. At the start of her story, how do Elli's actions as her life starts to change indirectly describe her?
7. What is Laura's fear as she and Elli leave Auschwitz?
8. What happens to the prisoners when they arrive at Auschwitz?
9. How do Hindi, Suri Schreiber, and Aunt Celia help Laura and Elli on their first day at Auschwitz?
10. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What made Elli live "for a thousand years"?
Essay Topic 2
Considering Jewish beliefs and customs, what were purposeful and degrading rituals at concentration camps?
Essay Topic 3
What were the greatest symbols throughout the book?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)