|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who largely packs for Nagymagyar?
2. What happens to the women in the showers at Auschwitz?
3. Why had the woman in charge of the barracks paid a horrible price for her survival?
4. How does Bubbi attain good grades in school?
5. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the girl like who oversees the barracks?
2. What is Bubi's relationship with other people?
3. Why does Dr. Mengele tell Laura that Elli needs her more than Aunt Serene does?
4. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
5. Why would Bubi's father ignore his story concerning Budapest?
6. Why is the first chapter titled "The City of My Dreams"?
7. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
8. From Elli's father's stance on ambition, what do readers learn about him?
9. What happens to the prisoners when they arrive at Auschwitz?
10. Why does Elli refuse to go out in her town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Laura's sporadic interactions with her extended family contribute to the terrors of the concentration camps?
Essay Topic 2
What was the greatest internal conflict a concentration camp prisoner faced? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How did Elli's relationship with her mother change from the start of the book, through the concentration camps, and then as they settle after the war?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)