|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What purpose does the river in town often serve?
2. What do Elli and Laura do on June 9 and 10?
3. At the start of the book, why do the Hungarian police bother Elli's family?
4. Where does Elli finally place her poetry journal before leaving for the work camps?
5. How far is Nagymagyar from Elli's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
2. From Elli's father's stance on ambition, what do readers learn about him?
3. Why does Elli refuse to go out in her town?
4. What does Elli's relationship with Jansci bring to her life?
5. What is Bubi's relationship with other people?
6. Describe Laura's "lack of affection."
7. What honesty does the chapter "Teen Vanity" bring to the book?
8. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
9. What is the girl like who oversees the barracks?
10. What is ironic about the guards telling the prisoners to leave their possessions on the cattle cars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore how Elli's father had to leave the family. What impact did her father's leaving have on Elli's life?
Essay Topic 2
How did Elli's relationship with her mother change from the start of the book, through the concentration camps, and then as they settle after the war?
Essay Topic 3
How did concentration camp prisoners handle helping each other? Were they more helpful or selfish than under regular life circumstances?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)