|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Elli and her mother do with their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
2. How does Elli's planned meeting with Jansci occur?
3. How old is Elli as the story opens?
4. Who is Pinhas?
5. What happens to the women in the showers at Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Laura's excitement about moving to a work camp?
2. What is Bubi's relationship with other people?
3. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
4. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
5. What happens to the prisoners when they arrive at Auschwitz?
6. What does Elli's relationship with Jansci bring to her life?
7. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
8. From Elli's father's stance on ambition, what do readers learn about him?
9. Why does Elli refuse to go out in her town?
10. What is ironic about the guards telling the prisoners to leave their possessions on the cattle cars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the chapters' titles shape the overall message of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How was clothing used as a symbol throughout Elli's journey?
Essay Topic 3
What made Elli live "for a thousand years"?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)