|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do many families cook in "The Ghetto"?
2. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura pack for their trip?
3. Under what conditions does Elli leave her school?
4. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
5. For what are the women punished at Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is sad concerning Laura and Elli's work on leveling a hillside in preparation of construction?
2. What do the events from the chapter "Mommy, There's a Worm in Your Soup" demonstrate?
3. Why is the first chapter titled "The City of My Dreams"?
4. How do the prisoners behave on the cars that leave from the Muhldorf train station?
5. Why are the military guards so confused at Augsburg, and what does this say about Elli's condition?
6. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
7. At first, how do the military guards treat the women, and how do the women respond at Augsburg?
8. What honesty does the chapter "Teen Vanity" bring to the book?
9. What are the prisoners reactions to the gunfire and planes in "It's An American Plane"?
10. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
Essay Topic 1
What role did Bubi have as the only remaining male in his family?
Essay Topic 2
Considering Jewish beliefs and customs, what were purposeful and degrading rituals at concentration camps?
Essay Topic 3
How did Elli's relationship with her mother change from the start of the book, through the concentration camps, and then as they settle after the war?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)