|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Celia do on June 9 and 10?
2. Where do Bonnie and Elli go to swim?
3. Where do Laura and Elli visit before they traveled to Nagymagyar?
4. What does Aunt Serena do with dishes before leaving on May 2?
5. What do Elli and her mother do with their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli refuse to go out in her town?
2. What is Elli's fear as she and Laura leave Auschwitz the first time?
3. Why do soldiers make members of the ghetto surrender all books, documents, and photos?
4. How do Hindi, Suri Schreiber, and Aunt Celia help Laura and Elli on their first day at Auschwitz?
5. What is the irony of Laura's excitement about moving to a work camp?
6. Why would Bubi's father ignore his story concerning Budapest?
7. Why does Aunt Serena become so agitated the night before they leave for work camp?
8. What does the color 'yellow' symbolize in Elli's life?
9. What is Bubi's relationship with other people?
10. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Elli's dream the night her father died. How did this dream prove that her father was dead?
Essay Topic 2
How did the incremental changes Jews faced during World War II ultimately lead to the destruction of many Jews?
Essay Topic 3
How did the chapters' titles shape the overall message of the book?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)