|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After their showers at Auschwitz, what do Elli and her mother desperately want?
2. After finding their cousins, where are Laura and Elli directed?
3. How does Bubbi attain good grades in school?
4. Who is Pinhas?
5. During selection, to what side do the guards send Aunt Serene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the girl like who oversees the barracks?
2. Why does Dr. Mengele tell Laura that Elli needs her more than Aunt Serene does?
3. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
4. What do Elli, her family, and other Jews do when they arrive at the ghetto?
5. What is Laura's fear as she and Elli leave Auschwitz?
6. What is ironic about the guards telling the prisoners to leave their possessions on the cattle cars?
7. Describe Laura's "lack of affection."
8. What honesty does the chapter "Teen Vanity" bring to the book?
9. What is the irony of Laura's excitement about moving to a work camp?
10. Why would Bubi's father ignore his story concerning Budapest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the incremental changes Jews faced during World War II ultimately lead to the destruction of many Jews?
Essay Topic 2
What were the greatest symbols throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Elli's dream the night her father died. How did this dream prove that her father was dead?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)