|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time do Elli and Laura take a daily lunch break?
(a) 11:00 a.m.
(b) They never receive a lunch break.
(c) 1:30 p.m.
2. In June, what work do the guards assign Elli and her mother?
(a) Leveling a hillside.
(b) Sewing blankets.
(c) Assembling guns.
(d) Cleaning clothes.
3. When the prisoners leaves the cars for the final time, what do the local people do?
(a) Push the train cars away.
(b) Run from them.
(c) Take them home.
(d) Give them aid.
4. What happens to those who remain in the infirmary longer than three weeks at Auschwitz?
(a) They are taken to a different camp.
(b) They are "removed."
(c) They are put back in the barracks.
(d) They are given easier work.
5. After the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what happens as the prisoners stand outside the cars?
(a) Gunfire erupts.
(b) Trains crash.
(c) Bombs drop.
(d) SS soldiers run away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Laura as she struggles because of her partial paralysis?
2. A local woman thinks that Elli is __________years old.
3. What is discovered when the women arrive at Camp Landsberg?
4. When the guards give the women new clothes at Augsburg, what does Elli receive?
5. After discussing Elli's age, what does the local woman do as she leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Laura's life change after the liberation?
2. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
3. What do the events from the chapter "Mommy, There's a Worm in Your Soup" demonstrate?
4. Why does Elli feel so different about her town after the war?
5. Why does Elli want to sing the American national anthem when she arrives at the Statue of Liberty?
6. Why does Elli become angry toward her mother after she saved soup for Elli?
7. What is Elli's internal conflict about making parts for German aircraft?
8. Why do other women help Elli with her mother?
9. What is sad concerning Laura and Elli's work on leveling a hillside in preparation of construction?
10. What is the difficulty the women face after the group of men and women from the uprising are killed?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)