|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what is there?
(a) A group of bystanders, who throw food at the prisoners.
(b) Trucks with red crosses painted on them.
(c) More priosners.
(d) New guards.
2. What is Elli's punishment for retrieving her coat?
(a) Scrubbing bathroom floors.
(b) Kneeling on uncooked rice for an hour.
(c) Standing in a hall all day without water or food.
(d) Running in the snow.
3. When a man is shot and left for dead, what does he do before guards finally kill him?
(a) Hurls himself at an SS guard.
(b) Opens the door.
(c) Shoots a guard.
(d) Runs down the tracks.
4. During the women's first night at Augsburg, how do guards feed them?
(a) A reasonable amount of good food.
(b) The same as always.
(c) They were not fed.
(d) Very poorly.
5. When Elli arrived at Auschwitz the second time, what are the new barracks like?
(a) They are made of metal.
(b) They are tiers of bunks.
(c) They are cleaner than their previous ones.
(d) They have no blankets.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elli respond to the local woman guessing her age?
2. Where does Bubi receive permission to attend school after the war?
3. Later, after she has the clothes for a bit, how does Elli feel in her new clothes she receives at Augsburg?
4. When a rainstorm hits suddenly, what are the women doing?
5. When Elli arrives at Auschwitz the second time, what does she realize?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the arrival of an SS guard change the women's conditions at Augsburg?
2. Why does Elli feel so different about her town after the war?
3. How do the prisoners behave on the cars that leave from the Muhldorf train station?
4. Why does the entire barrack stay up at night reading a prayer book?
5. What is the importance of Laura keeping her handkerchief?
6. Why does Elli want to sing the American national anthem when she arrives at the Statue of Liberty?
7. Why does Bitton-Jackson include great details about the family's trip back to their home?
8. What is the difficulty the women face after the group of men and women from the uprising are killed?
9. What are the prisoners reactions to the gunfire and planes in "It's An American Plane"?
10. What would lead the local woman to believe Elli is "sixty or sixty-two" years old?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)