|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the guards carry out an act of decimation?
(a) Prisoners are forced awake for days.
(b) Prisoners work without food or water.
(c) Prisoners form a line, and every tenth one is shot.
(d) Prisoners must choose which one dies.
2. What do the local people say concerning the concentration camps?
(a) They stole money from them.
(b) They sneaked food in them.
(c) They could not break into them.
(d) They knew nothing of them.
3. After Elli's last train ride under the German soldiers' control, who is there when the doors open?
(a) Josef Mengele.
(b) Local townpeople.
(c) More German soldiers.
(d) American soldiers.
4. When the prisoners leaves the cars for the final time, what do the local people do?
(a) Take them home.
(b) Run from them.
(c) Push the train cars away.
(d) Give them aid.
5. How does Laura pass roll call with her injury?
(a) Elli and friends prop her up.
(b) Elli bribes the guard.
(c) Laura sits down.
(d) Laura stands only when guards are present.
Short Answer Questions
1. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, what happens to women's food?
2. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, what do the military guards begin doing?
3. What does the family see on April 7, 1951?
4. Where did Bubi's father die?
5. When Elli arrives at Auschwitz the second time, what do the inmates receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli want to sing the American national anthem when she arrives at the Statue of Liberty?
2. Why do Elli, Bubi, and Laura vow never to separate again?
3. What is significant about Elli's tattoo at Auschwitz?
4. Why does the family make plans to leave their home town?
5. Why does the entire barrack stay up at night reading a prayer book?
6. What are the prisoners reactions to the gunfire and planes in "It's An American Plane"?
7. What does the interaction between Bubi and Laura at the Muhldorf train station show readers?
8. What is the importance of Laura keeping her handkerchief?
9. What are Elli's confused feelings when the women learn about the attempted uprising?
10. What would lead the local woman to believe Elli is "sixty or sixty-two" years old?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)