|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Elli arrived at Auschwitz the second time, what are the new barracks like?
(a) They have no blankets.
(b) They are made of metal.
(c) They are cleaner than their previous ones.
(d) They are tiers of bunks.
2. What task do the military guards give Elli at Augsburg?
(a) Manufacturing parts for German aircraft.
(b) Guarding older women.
(c) Cooking in the kitchen.
(d) Sewing clothes.
3. When the women arrive in Augsburg, what initially confuses the military guards?
(a) They think the women are to be stronger.
(b) They think fewer prisoners are coming.
(c) They think the SS would be more helpful.
(d) They think the women are men.
4. What does Mr. Scheidel bring Elli?
(a) Raw meat.
(b) Crusts of bread.
(c) Clippings of the newspaper.
(d) Potato scraps.
5. What happens to those who remain in the infirmary longer than three weeks at Auschwitz?
(a) They are taken to a different camp.
(b) They are given easier work.
(c) They are "removed."
(d) They are put back in the barracks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What convinces Elli of her father's death?
2. What is discovered when the women arrive at Camp Landsberg?
3. Later, after she has the clothes for a bit, how does Elli feel in her new clothes she receives at Augsburg?
4. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, how does the women's treatment change?
5. After the women's first night at Augsburg, how do the women react to their treatment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes traveling to Auschwitz so difficult?
2. Why does the arrival of an SS guard change the women's conditions at Augsburg?
3. What do the events from the chapter "Mommy, There's a Worm in Your Soup" demonstrate?
4. Why does Bitton-Jackson include great details about the family's trip back to their home?
5. What is significant about Elli's tattoo at Auschwitz?
6. What would lead the local woman to believe Elli is "sixty or sixty-two" years old?
7. At first, how do the military guards treat the women, and how do the women respond at Augsburg?
8. What do Elli and Laura do with the saved soup? Why?
9. Why do Elli, Bubi, and Laura vow never to separate again?
10. Why does Elli call her and her mother's reunion a "divine miracle"?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)