|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, how does the women's treatment change?
(a) Their treatment becomes worse.
(b) Their treatment does not change.
(c) Their food rations increase, as does their work.
(d) Their treatment becomes better.
2. When the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what is there?
(a) New guards.
(b) Trucks with red crosses painted on them.
(c) A group of bystanders, who throw food at the prisoners.
(d) More priosners.
3. The women learn that the civilians killed earlier were part of ___________.
(a) An undercover reporter's investigation.
(b) A plan to steal from the factories.
(c) A movement for more food.
(d) A plan to liberate the inmates.
4. After Elli returns from her punishment for retrieving her coat, how do Elli and Laura react to the day's events?
(a) They do not sleep at all.
(b) They physically fight each other.
(c) They fall into bed, inconsolable.
(d) They laugh at each other.
5. If Elli and her mother fail to keep pace at work, what is to be their punishment?
(b) A standing stall.
(d) Reduced food rations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task do the military guards give Elli at Augsburg?
2. After the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what happens as the prisoners stand outside the cars?
3. How does Laura respond when the military guard asks her if she can hurry?
4. Why does the family wait at their home after the war?
5. What does Laura do after she sees a worm in her soup?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Elli's confused feelings when the women learn about the attempted uprising?
2. What do the women's sleeping arrangements at Auschwitz demonstrate about their treatment?
3. How does Laura's life change after the liberation?
4. Why does Elli call her and her mother's reunion a "divine miracle"?
5. How do the prisoners behave on the cars that leave from the Muhldorf train station?
6. Why does Bitton-Jackson include great details about the family's trip back to their home?
7. What is sad concerning Laura and Elli's work on leveling a hillside in preparation of construction?
8. What are Elli's mixed feelings concerning her new clothes at Augsburg?
9. What is the difficulty the women face after the group of men and women from the uprising are killed?
10. What makes traveling to Auschwitz so difficult?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)