|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the inmates travel, why do they struggle to breathe?
(a) The heat and lack of air.
(b) The snow.
(c) Gas filled the air.
(d) The closed cars.
2. On the day of the scheduled decimation, what happens?
(a) The women are forced to work as usual.
(b) The guards do not come to work.
(c) The guards threaten other punishments.
(d) The women revolt.
3. After Elli's last train ride under the German soldiers' control, who is there when the doors open?
(a) Local townpeople.
(b) American soldiers.
(c) More German soldiers.
(d) Josef Mengele.
4. What does Laura do after she sees a worm in her soup?
(a) Dumps it out.
(c) Gives it away.
(d) Continues to eat it.
5. After the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what do the planes overhead do?
(a) Drop bombs.
(b) Fire on the train formation.
(c) Fly away.
(d) Take pictures.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the night of Laura's injury at Auschwitz, what does Elli do?
2. Immediately following their freedom, how does a man who spoke Yiddish help?
3. Where did Bubi's father die?
4. How long wis Elli and Laura's lunch break?
5. What is Laura's assignment at Waldlager?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli want to sing the American national anthem when she arrives at the Statue of Liberty?
2. Why are the military guards so confused at Augsburg, and what does this say about Elli's condition?
3. Why does the family make plans to leave their home town?
4. Why does Elli feel so different about her town after the war?
5. How do the prisoners behave on the cars that leave from the Muhldorf train station?
6. What would lead the local woman to believe Elli is "sixty or sixty-two" years old?
7. How does Laura's life change after the liberation?
8. What makes traveling to Auschwitz so difficult?
9. At first, how do the military guards treat the women, and how do the women respond at Augsburg?
10. What do the women's sleeping arrangements at Auschwitz demonstrate about their treatment?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)