|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What convinces Elli of her father's death?
(a) A guard.
(b) A dream.
(c) The sunset.
(d) Another prisoner's message.
2. When Elli arrives at Auschwitz for the second time, what does Laura continually tell Elli?
(a) She can't go on.
(b) To get her water.
(c) To survive.
(d) Elli should find Bubi.
3. On the day of the scheduled decimation, what happens?
(a) The guards do not come to work.
(b) The guards threaten other punishments.
(c) The women are forced to work as usual.
(d) The women revolt.
4. When women strip for guards, what is the one possession they retain?
(a) Their socks.
(b) Their underwear.
(c) Their shoes.
(d) Their blankets.
5. When Elli arrives at Auschwitz the second time, what does she realize?
(a) She is alone.
(b) Hitler is not dead.
(c) Laura is quite ill.
(d) She cannot live much longer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laura keep wrapped around her foot?
2. What happens the day the food arrives early at Laura and Elli's work?
3. How does Elli respond to the local woman guessing her age?
4. Immediately following their freedom, how does a man who spoke Yiddish help?
5. When the train traveling from the Muhldorf train station stops near a cornfield, what do many prisoners do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli jump on the guard's back?
2. What does the interaction between Bubi and Laura at the Muhldorf train station show readers?
3. What are Elli's confused feelings when the women learn about the attempted uprising?
4. Why does Elli feel so different about her town after the war?
5. At first, how do the military guards treat the women, and how do the women respond at Augsburg?
6. What do Elli and Laura do with the saved soup? Why?
7. Why does Bitton-Jackson include great details about the family's trip back to their home?
8. Why do other women help Elli with her mother?
9. How does Laura's life change after the liberation?
10. What is significant about Elli's tattoo at Auschwitz?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)