|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laura keep wrapped around her foot?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A kerchief.
(c) A shoelace.
(d) A compress.
2. What happens the day the food arrives early at Laura and Elli's work?
(a) The food turns cold.
(b) Other prisoners steal the food.
(c) Animals eat the food.
(d) The food becomes putrid in the hot sun.
3. When the women arrive in Augsburg, what initially confuses the military guards?
(a) They think the SS would be more helpful.
(b) They think the women are men.
(c) They think the women are to be stronger.
(d) They think fewer prisoners are coming.
4. How does Elli get Laura out of the infirmary?
(a) With a cart.
(b) By making Laura walk.
(c) With help from other women.
(d) By carrying her.
5. During the rainstorm, what does the commander tell the women?
(a) To work faster.
(b) To go inside.
(c) To continue working.
(d) To be quiet.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a man is shot and left for dead, what does he do before guards finally kill him?
2. How does Elli first feel in her new clothes she receives at Augsburg?
3. On the train, why could a girl not see?
4. When a rainstorm hits suddenly, what are the women doing?
5. When Elli arrives at Auschwitz the second time, what happens to the bed above Elli and Laura?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the events from the chapter "Mommy, There's a Worm in Your Soup" demonstrate?
2. Why does the family make plans to leave their home town?
3. What is sad concerning Laura and Elli's work on leveling a hillside in preparation of construction?
4. What would lead the local woman to believe Elli is "sixty or sixty-two" years old?
5. What are Elli's mixed feelings concerning her new clothes at Augsburg?
6. Why do Elli, Bubi, and Laura vow never to separate again?
7. What is the difficulty the women face after the group of men and women from the uprising are killed?
8. How does Laura's life change after the liberation?
9. How do the prisoners behave on the cars that leave from the Muhldorf train station?
10. Why does Elli want to sing the American national anthem when she arrives at the Statue of Liberty?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)