|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At Waldlager, when does Bubi begin talking?
(a) When Elli speaks of their father.
(b) After Elli helps him by giving him bread.
(c) After the guards disappear.
(d) When Laura brings him soup.
2. When a military guard asks Laura her name, how does she reply?
(a) With a fake name.
(b) With her sister's name.
(c) With her tattooed number.
(d) With her mother's name.
3. How is Laura severely injured at Auschwitz?
(a) A guard shot her foot.
(b) A soldier beat her head.
(c) A bed pinned Laura in an unnatural position.
(d) A train ran her over.
4. What happens to Laura as she struggles because of her partial paralysis?
(a) A guard cruelly twists her arm.
(b) Laura falls over.
(c) Laura knocks food over.
(d) A guard kicks her down.
5. After the women waited to travel from Plaszow, what news do they receive?
(a) Food will be distributed soon.
(b) Thirty more people will be added to each car.
(c) Dr. Mengele is dead.
(d) People will be let off soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Elli returns from her punishment for retrieving her coat, what has her mother done?
2. What happens the day the food arrives early at Laura and Elli's work?
3. When a man is shot and left for dead, what does he do before guards finally kill him?
4. What time do Elli and Laura take a daily lunch break?
5. When do Elli, Laura, and Bubi begin making the trip home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes traveling to Auschwitz so difficult?
2. Why does Elli jump on the guard's back?
3. Why does Elli call her and her mother's reunion a "divine miracle"?
4. What do the women's sleeping arrangements at Auschwitz demonstrate about their treatment?
5. Why does Elli want to sing the American national anthem when she arrives at the Statue of Liberty?
6. Why does Bitton-Jackson include great details about the family's trip back to their home?
7. What do Elli and Laura do with the saved soup? Why?
8. What is Elli's internal conflict about making parts for German aircraft?
9. Why do other women help Elli with her mother?
10. How do the prisoners behave on the cars that leave from the Muhldorf train station?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)