|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the attempted uprising, what rumor do the women hear?
(a) Food will stop being served.
(b) Hitler is dead.
(c) Americans are coming.
(d) Guards are sending them to the gas chambers.
2. When Elli arrives at Auschwitz the second time, what does she realize?
(a) She cannot live much longer.
(b) Hitler is not dead.
(c) She is alone.
(d) Laura is quite ill.
3. During the rainstorm, what does the commander tell the women?
(a) To continue working.
(b) To be quiet.
(c) To go inside.
(d) To work faster.
4. How does Laura make a lamp for the Sabbath at Augsburg?
(a) With stolen gas.
(b) From a candle.
(c) With a lightbulb.
(d) From a potato and oil.
5. How does Laura respond when the military guard asks her if she can hurry?
(a) Her daughter needs her to stay back.
(b) She can not go faster.
(c) She does not want to hurry.
(d) She does not care.
Short Answer Questions
1. When women strip for guards, what is the one possession they retain?
2. How does Elli feel about completing a complex part for her work at Augsburg?
3. When the train traveling from the Muhldorf train station stops near a cornfield, what does Laura do?
4. On the night of Laura's injury at Auschwitz, what does Elli do?
5. What convinces Elli of her father's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difficulty the women face after the group of men and women from the uprising are killed?
2. How do the prisoners behave on the cars that leave from the Muhldorf train station?
3. What is the importance of Laura keeping her handkerchief?
4. Why does Elli want to sing the American national anthem when she arrives at the Statue of Liberty?
5. Why does Elli call her and her mother's reunion a "divine miracle"?
6. How does Laura's life change after the liberation?
7. What does the interaction between Bubi and Laura at the Muhldorf train station show readers?
8. Why do Elli, Bubi, and Laura vow never to separate again?
9. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
10. What are Elli's confused feelings when the women learn about the attempted uprising?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)