|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the train traveling from the Muhldorf train station stops near a cornfield, what do many prisoners do?
(a) Run for help.
(b) Eat the corn.
(c) Fight the guards.
(d) Hide between the stalks.
2. What is Elli, Laura and Bubi's home like after the war?
(a) Full of other people's belongings.
(b) Empty except for piles of human excrement.
(c) Completely torn down.
(d) Exactly as they left it.
3. Why are the women often forced to strip?
(a) For new clothes.
(b) For numbering.
(c) For new prisoners.
(d) For showers and examinations.
4. After the war, what do the three vow?
(a) Never to separate.
(b) Never to marry.
(c) Always to pray.
(d) Always to save money.
5. When the train traveling from the Muhldorf train station stops near a cornfield, what does Laura do?
(a) Drinks water.
(b) Finds food.
(c) Cries on the tracks.
(d) Searches for Bubi.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the war, how does Laura earn money for food?
2. When the women arrive in Augsburg, what do the SS guards immediately do?
3. What do the women who shoveled snow at Augsburg find?
4. What convinces Elli of her father's death?
5. What happens the day the food arrives early at Laura and Elli's work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli want to sing the American national anthem when she arrives at the Statue of Liberty?
2. Why does the arrival of an SS guard change the women's conditions at Augsburg?
3. What is the importance of Laura keeping her handkerchief?
4. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
5. Why does the entire barrack stay up at night reading a prayer book?
6. Why do Elli, Bubi, and Laura vow never to separate again?
7. Why does Elli jump on the guard's back?
8. Why does the family make plans to leave their home town?
9. What is significant about Elli's tattoo at Auschwitz?
10. Why does Elli become angry toward her mother after she saved soup for Elli?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)