|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In June, what work do the guards assign Elli and her mother?
(a) Assembling guns.
(b) Sewing blankets.
(c) Cleaning clothes.
(d) Leveling a hillside.
2. When a man is shot and left for dead, what does he do before guards finally kill him?
(a) Runs down the tracks.
(b) Hurls himself at an SS guard.
(c) Opens the door.
(d) Shoots a guard.
3. How does Elli feel in her home town after the war?
(a) As if she had never left.
(b) As if she is in danger.
(c) As if she is not a Jew.
(d) As if she does not belong.
4. What happens the day the food arrives early at Laura and Elli's work?
(a) Other prisoners steal the food.
(b) The food becomes putrid in the hot sun.
(c) The food turns cold.
(d) Animals eat the food.
5. What does Laura do after she sees a worm in her soup?
(a) Gives it away.
(b) Continues to eat it.
(c) Dumps it out.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Laura respond when the military guard asks her if she can hurry?
2. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, what happens to women's food?
3. What is Elli, Laura and Bubi's home like after the war?
4. What does the family see on April 7, 1951?
5. Later, after she has the clothes for a bit, how does Elli feel in her new clothes she receives at Augsburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difficulty the women face after the group of men and women from the uprising are killed?
2. How do the prisoners behave on the cars that leave from the Muhldorf train station?
3. Why does Bitton-Jackson include great details about the family's trip back to their home?
4. Why does the entire barrack stay up at night reading a prayer book?
5. What are Elli's mixed feelings concerning her new clothes at Augsburg?
6. Why does Elli jump on the guard's back?
7. Why does Elli feel so different about her town after the war?
8. What does the interaction between Bubi and Laura at the Muhldorf train station show readers?
9. Why do other women help Elli with her mother?
10. What do the women's sleeping arrangements at Auschwitz demonstrate about their treatment?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)