|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If Elli and her mother fail to keep pace at work, what is to be their punishment?
(a) Reduced food rations.
(c) A standing stall.
2. After the war, how does Laura earn money for food?
(a) Sewing for Russian girls.
(b) Tutoring students.
(c) Cleaning homes.
(d) Translating papers.
3. The women learn that the civilians killed earlier were part of ___________.
(a) A plan to steal from the factories.
(b) A plan to liberate the inmates.
(c) An undercover reporter's investigation.
(d) A movement for more food.
4. At the Muhldorf train station, Elli and Laura lose sight of whom?
(b) Each other.
(c) Aunt Celia.
(d) The SS guards.
5. How is Laura severely injured at Auschwitz?
(a) A train ran her over.
(b) A guard shot her foot.
(c) A soldier beat her head.
(d) A bed pinned Laura in an unnatural position.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what is there?
2. How does Elli feel in her home town after the war?
3. When do Elli, Laura, and Bubi begin making the trip home?
4. On the day of the scheduled decimation, what happens?
5. When a military guard asks Laura her name, how does she reply?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the events from the chapter "Mommy, There's a Worm in Your Soup" demonstrate?
2. Why does Elli want to sing the American national anthem when she arrives at the Statue of Liberty?
3. Why are the military guards so confused at Augsburg, and what does this say about Elli's condition?
4. What do the women's sleeping arrangements at Auschwitz demonstrate about their treatment?
5. Why does the family make plans to leave their home town?
6. What is Elli's internal conflict about making parts for German aircraft?
7. How do the prisoners behave on the cars that leave from the Muhldorf train station?
8. What are Elli's confused feelings when the women learn about the attempted uprising?
9. Why does Elli feel so different about her town after the war?
10. What are Elli's mixed feelings concerning her new clothes at Augsburg?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)