|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Immediately following their freedom, how does a man who spoke Yiddish help?
(a) He gives the passengers food.
(b) He translates for the passengers.
(c) He relays doctors' orders to the passengers.
(d) He brings the passengers clothing.
2. When Elli arrives at Auschwitz the second time, what do the inmates receive?
(b) A tattoo.
(c) Extra blankets.
3. Immediately following their freedom, what confuses Elli and the other passengers?
(a) The men who opened the doors speak a different language.
(b) The men speak Polish.
(c) The men tell them to get off the train.
(d) The men offer them food.
4. What does Laura keep wrapped around her foot?
(a) A kerchief.
(b) A compress.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A shoelace.
5. On the night of Laura's injury at Auschwitz, what does Elli do?
(a) Remains with Laura.
(b) Barely sleeps.
(c) Cries in her bunk alone.
(d) Keeps praying.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a military guard asks Laura her name, how does she reply?
2. After the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what do the planes overhead do?
3. Later, after she has the clothes for a bit, how does Elli feel in her new clothes she receives at Augsburg?
4. What convinces Elli of her father's death?
5. How does Elli respond to the local woman guessing her age?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
2. Why does the entire barrack stay up at night reading a prayer book?
3. What is significant about Elli's tattoo at Auschwitz?
4. At first, how do the military guards treat the women, and how do the women respond at Augsburg?
5. Why does Elli call her and her mother's reunion a "divine miracle"?
6. What is sad concerning Laura and Elli's work on leveling a hillside in preparation of construction?
7. What are the prisoners reactions to the gunfire and planes in "It's An American Plane"?
8. What does the interaction between Bubi and Laura at the Muhldorf train station show readers?
9. How do the prisoners behave on the cars that leave from the Muhldorf train station?
10. What would lead the local woman to believe Elli is "sixty or sixty-two" years old?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)