|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Elli's last train ride under the German soldiers' control, who is there when the doors open?
(a) Local townpeople.
(b) Josef Mengele.
(c) More German soldiers.
(d) American soldiers.
2. How do the guards carry out an act of decimation?
(a) Prisoners are forced awake for days.
(b) Prisoners must choose which one dies.
(c) Prisoners form a line, and every tenth one is shot.
(d) Prisoners work without food or water.
3. What do the local people say concerning the concentration camps?
(a) They knew nothing of them.
(b) They stole money from them.
(c) They could not break into them.
(d) They sneaked food in them.
4. When the prisoners leaves the cars for the final time, what do the local people do?
(a) Push the train cars away.
(b) Take them home.
(c) Run from them.
(d) Give them aid.
5. After Elli returns from her punishment for retrieving her coat, how do Elli and Laura react to the day's events?
(a) They physically fight each other.
(b) They laugh at each other.
(c) They fall into bed, inconsolable.
(d) They do not sleep at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to those who remain in the infirmary longer than three weeks at Auschwitz?
2. How does Elli get Laura out of the infirmary?
3. What do the women who shoveled snow at Augsburg find?
4. The women learn that the civilians killed earlier were part of ___________.
5. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, what happens to women's food?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
2. What are Elli's mixed feelings concerning her new clothes at Augsburg?
3. Why do other women help Elli with her mother?
4. What do the women's sleeping arrangements at Auschwitz demonstrate about their treatment?
5. Why does the entire barrack stay up at night reading a prayer book?
6. Why does Elli jump on the guard's back?
7. What is significant about Elli's tattoo at Auschwitz?
8. Why do Elli, Bubi, and Laura vow never to separate again?
9. What is Elli's internal conflict about making parts for German aircraft?
10. What is the difficulty the women face after the group of men and women from the uprising are killed?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)