|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take Elli to arrive at Auschwitz?
(a) Four nights.
(b) A week.
(c) Two days.
(d) A few hours.
2. What story does Bubbi tell his family in the middle of the night?
(a) The war ending.
(b) Hungarian police leaving their town.
(c) Hitler coming to their town.
(d) Nazi soldiers in Budapest.
3. How far is Nagymagyar from Elli's home?
(a) Nine kilometers.
(b) Fourteen kilometers.
(c) A hundred millimeters.
(d) A nautical mile.
4. Why does Laura hate leaving her sister behind at Auschwitz?
(a) Celia suffers from diarrhea.
(b) Laura took care of Celia.
(c) Laura cared for Celia's children.
(d) Celia is weak minded.
5. At the start of the book, why do the Hungarian police bother Elli's family?
(a) The police do not like Elli's father.
(b) The police have complete control over the Jewish population.
(c) The police know the family has hidden money.
(d) The police know that Bubi is smart.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of the book, how does Elli spend her days?
2. What do the aunt and cousins say about Elli and her mother's reaction to their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
3. After the women are driven into a room at Auschwitz, what happens to them?
4. For what does Old Mr. Stern pray?
5. How does Bubi react to the news from the town crier?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli refuse to go out in her town?
2. Why does Bitton-Jackson include great details about the family's trip back to their home?
3. What is Bubi's relationship with other people?
4. Why does Aunt Serena become so agitated the night before they leave for work camp?
5. How does Laura's life change after the liberation?
6. What is the difficulty the women face after the group of men and women from the uprising are killed?
7. What is ironic about the guards telling the prisoners to leave their possessions on the cattle cars?
8. Why does the entire barrack stay up at night reading a prayer book?
9. Why does Elli feel so different about her town after the war?
10. How does the failed date with Jansci affect Elli?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)