|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story does Bubbi tell his family in the middle of the night?
(a) The war ending.
(b) Hungarian police leaving their town.
(c) Nazi soldiers in Budapest.
(d) Hitler coming to their town.
2. How far is Nagymagyar from Elli's home?
(a) Fourteen kilometers.
(b) A nautical mile.
(c) A hundred millimeters.
(d) Nine kilometers.
3. Why do soldiers order Elli to go to Nagymagyar?
(a) For better schooling.
(b) To find Bubi.
(c) To live with relatives.
(d) For relocation.
4. After a guard takes the young girl during the riot, what do the females hear?
(a) Guards yelling.
(b) Her tears.
(c) A train pulling away.
(d) A shot.
5. What does Elli do with her poetry journal when she sees a young mother denied possession of a single photo?
(a) Hides it.
(b) Puts it between layers of bedding.
(c) Places it under her shirt.
(d) Burns it.
Short Answer Questions
1. During selection, to what side do the guards send Aunt Serene?
2. When Elli returns to her school, what award does she learn she received?
3. Why do Elli, her mother, aunt, and two cousins form a group at mealtime?
4. Where do Laura and Elli visit before they traveled to Nagymagyar?
5. How does Elli feel as she travels away from Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Laura's life change after the liberation?
2. What is Laura's fear as she and Elli leave Auschwitz?
3. How does the failed date with Jansci affect Elli?
4. Why are the military guards so confused at Augsburg, and what does this say about Elli's condition?
5. What are the prisoners reactions to the gunfire and planes in "It's An American Plane"?
6. Why would Bubi's father ignore his story concerning Budapest?
7. Why do the guards hit the women who bring blankets outside?
8. Why does the entire barrack stay up at night reading a prayer book?
9. Why does the arrival of an SS guard change the women's conditions at Augsburg?
10. Describe Laura's "lack of affection."
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)