|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Laura's reaction about Aunt Serene's orders to go to a side different from Laura's during selection?
(a) Laura keeps quiet about her sister.
(b) Laura begs to go with her sister.
(c) Laura hides behind Elli.
(d) Laura chases after her sister.
2. What bothers Elli the most concerning her surrendered possession?
(a) She saw a lack of communication with others.
(b) She never rode it.
(c) She had hope for a future from it.
(d) She knew it was expensive.
3. What is each family supposed to take to Nagymagyar?
(a) A bag of clothes.
(b) Only what they could carry.
(d) One room of furniture.
4. Why does Elli's father think ambition is a desirable trait?
(a) Ambition shows you care.
(b) Ambition can make a person accomplish more.
(c) Ambition gives others confidence.
(d) Ambition makes others like you.
5. Where are many families sleeping in "The Ghetto"?
(a) The synagogue.
(b) Abandonded buildings.
(d) In tents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elli return to her school after the schools are closed?
2. What does the town crier announce as forbidden access for Jews?
3. For what does Old Mr. Stern pray?
4. How does Bubi react to the news from the town crier?
5. What do the guards do with all the Jews' books, documents, and photos?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the first chapter titled "The City of My Dreams"?
2. What is Elli's fear as she and Laura leave Auschwitz the first time?
3. At the start of her story, how do Elli's actions as her life starts to change indirectly describe her?
4. What honesty does the chapter "Teen Vanity" bring to the book?
5. What is Bubi's relationship with other people?
6. Why does Dr. Mengele tell Laura that Elli needs her more than Aunt Serene does?
7. From Elli's father's stance on ambition, what do readers learn about him?
8. How does the failed date with Jansci affect Elli?
9. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
10. What is the irony of Laura's excitement about moving to a work camp?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)