|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Elli and Laura first notice about "The Ghetto"?
(a) Everyone is crying.
(b) The place is empty except for guards.
(c) Hundreds of people are crammed into a small area.
(d) No one else obeys orders.
2. What does the town crier announce concerning Jews and socialization?
(a) Jews are not allowed to socialize at all with Christians.
(b) Jews are not allowed to speak to anyone.
(c) Jews are not allowed to look at anyone.
(d) Jews are not allowed to talk about Christians.
3. After the women are driven into a room at Auschwitz, what happens to them?
(a) Bathed by cruel guards.
(b) Forced at gunpoint to strip and are shaven.
(c) Given a bed and towel.
(d) Beaten to strip.
4. How does Bubi react to the news from the town crier?
(a) Bubi goes out during the day.
(b) Bubi proudly creates a star.
(c) Bubi speaks to Christians.
(d) Bubi shops at the grocery market.
5. After their showers at Auschwitz, what do Elli and her mother desperately want?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elli's father show her in the basement?
2. What surrendered possession bothers Elli the most?
3. How does Laura demonstrate affection?
4. The night before they are to leave for work camp, what is Elli's final image of her father?
5. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura's father spend time doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the prisoners when they arrive at Auschwitz?
2. What is ironic about the guards telling the prisoners to leave their possessions on the cattle cars?
3. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
4. At the start of her story, how do Elli's actions as her life starts to change indirectly describe her?
5. Why does Elli refuse to go out in her town?
6. What does the color 'yellow' symbolize in Elli's life?
7. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
8. What is Elli's fear as she and Laura leave Auschwitz the first time?
9. Why is the first chapter titled "The City of My Dreams"?
10. What is Laura's fear as she and Elli leave Auschwitz?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)