|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the guards order women to take their blankets inside, what do they do to the women?
(a) Steal their food.
(b) Hit them on the head.
(c) Shoot at them.
(d) Slap their wrists.
2. Why does Elli believe her mother slights her?
(a) Elli doesn't like Bubi.
(b) Elli is not like Laura.
(c) Elli is not pretty.
(d) Elli is too much like her father.
3. What are the overall living conditions in "The Ghetto" for Jewish families?
(a) The families steal from each to survive.
(b) They are under heavy guard with limited space.
(c) They know no one, and the place is filthy.
(d) They are comfortable and happy.
4. What happens on March 27?
(a) Laura falls ill.
(b) Guards order all Jewish residents to give up possessions of value.
(c) Elli's father makes documents for each family member.
(d) Bubi comes home from Budapest.
5. As a young girl screams, what do the female prisoners begin to smell?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Elli finally place her poetry journal before leaving for the work camps?
2. Why does Laura hate leaving her sister behind at Auschwitz?
3. Who is Pinhas?
4. What does Elli's father show her in the basement?
5. What place does Elli describe as "the most notorious forced labor camp in Poland"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli's father become like "a statue of stone" as the family prepares for Nagymagyar?
2. Why does Dr. Mengele tell Laura that Elli needs her more than Aunt Serene does?
3. What do Elli, her family, and other Jews do when they arrive at the ghetto?
4. What honesty does the chapter "Teen Vanity" bring to the book?
5. Why does Elli and her mother go to the cemetery before leaving for the ghetto?
6. How do Hindi, Suri Schreiber, and Aunt Celia help Laura and Elli on their first day at Auschwitz?
7. What is Bubi's relationship with other people?
8. What is Elli's fear as she and Laura leave Auschwitz the first time?
9. What happens to the prisoners when they arrive at Auschwitz?
10. Why would Bubi's father ignore his story concerning Budapest?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)