|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what are the women punished at Auschwitz?
(a) Talking to guards.
(b) Sleeping too much.
(d) Not cleaning their rooms enough.
2. How does Elli work in school?
(a) She does not concentrate well.
(b) She makes good grades easily.
(c) She is sloppy in her work.
(d) She is incredibly ambitious.
3. Why do Elli, her mother, aunt, and two cousins form a group at mealtime?
(a) To stay warm.
(b) To share the food equally.
(c) To get more bowls of soup.
(d) To prevent other prisoners stealing their clothes.
4. Whom does Elli's family share a house with in "The Ghetto"?
5. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
(a) Schools would not give Jewish children diplomas.
(b) She is too upset about Bubi.
(c) All schools are closed.
(d) The guards would not let her walk in public.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on March 27?
2. How old is Elli as the story opens?
3. After the women are driven into a room at Auschwitz, what happens to them?
4. What place does Elli describe as "the most notorious forced labor camp in Poland"?
5. After their showers at Auschwitz, what do Elli and her mother desperately want?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the first chapter titled "The City of My Dreams"?
2. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
3. What is the mood when the women smell gas behind closed doors?
4. What does Elli's relationship with Jansci bring to her life?
5. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
6. At the start of her story, how do Elli's actions as her life starts to change indirectly describe her?
7. What do Elli, her family, and other Jews do when they arrive at the ghetto?
8. How does the failed date with Jansci affect Elli?
9. What is Elli's fear as she and Laura leave Auschwitz the first time?
10. What is the girl like who oversees the barracks?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)