|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the guards do with all the Jews' books, documents, and photos?
(a) Sort them into piles.
(b) Put them in boxes.
(d) Collect them.
2. What does a young girl do during a riot?
(a) Breaks down a door.
(b) Beats her fists at a guard.
(c) Screams that someone is killing her mother.
(d) Throws tables over.
3. What is the penalty for Christians who socialize with Jews?
(b) Suspended licenses.
(c) Loss of job.
4. Where are many families sleeping in "The Ghetto"?
(a) In tents.
(b) The synagogue.
(c) Abandonded buildings.
5. What story does Bubbi tell his family in the middle of the night?
(a) Nazi soldiers in Budapest.
(b) Hitler coming to their town.
(c) Hungarian police leaving their town.
(d) The war ending.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elli believe her mother slights her?
2. What does Aunt Celia do on June 9 and 10?
3. What does Elli do with her poetry journal when she sees a young mother denied possession of a single photo?
4. The night before they are to leave for work camp, what is Elli's final image of her father?
5. How does Laura demonstrate affection?
Short Essay Questions
1. What honesty does the chapter "Teen Vanity" bring to the book?
2. What do Elli, her family, and other Jews do when they arrive at the ghetto?
3. What is Bubi's relationship with other people?
4. What is the girl like who oversees the barracks?
5. Describe Laura's "lack of affection."
6. What is Laura's fear as she and Elli leave Auschwitz?
7. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
8. What does Elli's relationship with Jansci bring to her life?
9. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
10. How does the failed date with Jansci affect Elli?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)