|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Elli finally place her poetry journal before leaving for the work camps?
(a) Puts it in a trash can.
(b) Buries it in the synogogue.
(c) Leaves it on her bed.
(d) Gives it to Pista Szivos.
2. As Bubi leaves his mother at Auschwitz, what does she see?
(a) Bubi takes off his shoes.
(b) Another prisoner takes his food.
(c) A SS guard knocks him down.
(d) Bubi is starting to cry.
3. What do Elli and Laura do on June 9 and 10?
(a) March away from Auschwitz.
(b) Clean cattle cars.
(c) Begin work in the kitchen.
(d) Take blankets.
4. How does Elli work in school?
(a) She is sloppy in her work.
(b) She makes good grades easily.
(c) She does not concentrate well.
(d) She is incredibly ambitious.
5. After a guard takes the young girl during the riot, what do the females hear?
(a) Guards yelling.
(b) A shot.
(c) Her tears.
(d) A train pulling away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Bonnie and Elli go to swim?
2. How was food distributed at Auschwitz?
3. How does Bubi react to the news from the town crier?
4. During selection, what warning does Elli receive?
5. What are Elli's family living quarters in "The Ghetto"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Laura's "lack of affection."
2. Why do soldiers make members of the ghetto surrender all books, documents, and photos?
3. At the start of her story, how do Elli's actions as her life starts to change indirectly describe her?
4. What is Bubi's relationship with other people?
5. What is the irony of Laura's excitement about moving to a work camp?
6. How do Hindi, Suri Schreiber, and Aunt Celia help Laura and Elli on their first day at Auschwitz?
7. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
8. What is Laura's fear as she and Elli leave Auschwitz?
9. What is ironic about the guards telling the prisoners to leave their possessions on the cattle cars?
10. What is the girl like who oversees the barracks?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)