|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the start of the book, why do the Hungarian police bother Elli's family?
(a) The police know the family has hidden money.
(b) The police have complete control over the Jewish population.
(c) The police do not like Elli's father.
(d) The police know that Bubi is smart.
2. How far is Nagymagyar from Elli's home?
(a) Fourteen kilometers.
(b) A nautical mile.
(c) Nine kilometers.
(d) A hundred millimeters.
3. As she leaves town, how does Elli ride?
(a) So she can see her home.
(b) With her back away from her house.
(c) So the soldiers can't see her cry.
(d) With her eyes closed.
4. Where do Bonnie and Elli go to swim?
(a) The town pool.
(b) An ocean.
(c) A neighbor's pool.
(d) The Danube.
5. What do the aunt and cousins say about Elli and her mother's reaction to their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
(a) To try eating more again.
(b) To give it to them.
(c) To send it back to the kitchen.
(d) To throw it away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Laura hate leaving her sister behind at Auschwitz?
2. At Auschwitz, what clothes do the women receive?
3. What surrendered possession bothers Elli the most?
4. What future plans does Elli have for Budapest?
5. How long does it take Elli to arrive at Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli feel so different about her town after the war?
2. Why do other women help Elli with her mother?
3. Why does the family make plans to leave their home town?
4. What do Elli and Laura do with the saved soup? Why?
5. Why does Elli call her and her mother's reunion a "divine miracle"?
6. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
7. Why does the arrival of an SS guard change the women's conditions at Augsburg?
8. What do the women's sleeping arrangements at Auschwitz demonstrate about their treatment?
9. Why does Dr. Mengele tell Laura that Elli needs her more than Aunt Serene does?
10. What is ironic about the guards telling the prisoners to leave their possessions on the cattle cars?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)