|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What orders does the family receive on May 20 in regard to traveling?
(a) To take nothing.
(b) To wear extra clothing.
(c) To take only what they can carry.
(d) To bring only food.
2. Why had the woman in charge of the barracks paid a horrible price for her survival?
(a) She bribed the guards.
(b) She was very thin.
(c) She killed other inmates.
(d) She was terribly mean.
3. What does Elli's father show her in the basement?
(a) Where to hide from soldiers.
(b) Where he hid her yellow bicycle.
(c) Where to keep her poetry and money.
(d) Where he buried the family's valuable jewelry.
4. Where do Bonnie and Elli go to swim?
(a) A neighbor's pool.
(b) The Danube.
(c) An ocean.
(d) The town pool.
5. What do Elli and her mother do with their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
(a) They never receive it.
(c) Give it to their cousins.
(d) Throw it away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Elli and Laura first notice about "The Ghetto"?
2. Where do Laura and Elli visit before they traveled to Nagymagyar?
3. For what does Old Mr. Stern pray?
4. When Elli returns to her school, what award does she learn she received?
5. Why do soldiers order Elli to go to Nagymagyar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Bubi's father ignore his story concerning Budapest?
2. What do Elli, her family, and other Jews do when they arrive at the ghetto?
3. What is the girl like who oversees the barracks?
4. Why does Elli's father become like "a statue of stone" as the family prepares for Nagymagyar?
5. What does Elli's relationship with Jansci bring to her life?
6. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
7. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
8. What is the mood when the women smell gas behind closed doors?
9. How do Hindi, Suri Schreiber, and Aunt Celia help Laura and Elli on their first day at Auschwitz?
10. Why does Elli and her mother go to the cemetery before leaving for the ghetto?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)