|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Suri and Hindi doing on June 9 and 10?
(a) Hiding their mother.
(b) Tricking a guard.
(c) Searching for girls to trade places.
(d) Stealing warm clothes.
2. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
(a) All schools are closed.
(b) Schools would not give Jewish children diplomas.
(c) The guards would not let her walk in public.
(d) She is too upset about Bubi.
3. What is each family supposed to take to Nagymagyar?
(a) One room of furniture.
(b) A bag of clothes.
(d) Only what they could carry.
4. How does Laura demonstrate affection?
(a) Laura is not demonstrative with affection.
(b) Laura writes her children notes.
(c) Laura gives lots of hugs and kisses.
(d) Laura reads stories at night.
5. How does Bubi manage to return from Budapest after the story breaks in the papers?
(a) Bubi's father gets him.
(b) Bubi returns on his own.
(c) Bubi doesn't return.
(d) Another father from the town helps Bubi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Elli and her mother do with their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
2. After their showers at Auschwitz, what do Elli and her mother desperately want?
3. What does Aunt Celia do on June 9 and 10?
4. What do Elli and Laura first notice about "The Ghetto"?
5. As Bubi leaves his mother at Auschwitz, what does she see?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the start of her story, how do Elli's actions as her life starts to change indirectly describe her?
2. What does the color 'yellow' symbolize in Elli's life?
3. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
4. Why does Aunt Serena become so agitated the night before they leave for work camp?
5. What do Elli, her family, and other Jews do when they arrive at the ghetto?
6. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
7. Why do the guards hit the women who bring blankets outside?
8. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
9. What happens to the prisoners when they arrive at Auschwitz?
10. Why does Elli and her mother go to the cemetery before leaving for the ghetto?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)