|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Under what conditions does Elli leave her school?
(a) With little notice.
(b) With taunts referring to her Jewish background.
(c) With a graduation party.
(d) With her classmates crying.
2. When Elli sees her reflection on June 3, what is her reaction?
(a) She is pleasently surprised.
(b) "I look like a man."
(c) She is shocked.
(d) "That isn't so bad."
3. What does Elli do with her poetry journal when she sees a young mother denied possession of a single photo?
(a) Puts it between layers of bedding.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Places it under her shirt.
(d) Hides it.
4. How do many families cook in "The Ghetto"?
(a) Over an open fire.
(b) They did not cook.
(c) In an oven.
(d) With a grill.
5. Why do soldiers order Elli to go to Nagymagyar?
(a) For better schooling.
(b) To find Bubi.
(c) For relocation.
(d) To live with relatives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had the woman in charge of the barracks paid a horrible price for her survival?
2. Where does Elli finally place her poetry journal before leaving for the work camps?
3. What do Marta Kalman and her mother bring Elli?
4. How does Laura demonstrate affection?
5. After a guard takes the young girl during the riot, what do the females hear?
Short Essay Questions
1. From Elli's father's stance on ambition, what do readers learn about him?
2. What is ironic about the guards telling the prisoners to leave their possessions on the cattle cars?
3. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
4. Why does Dr. Mengele tell Laura that Elli needs her more than Aunt Serene does?
5. How do Hindi, Suri Schreiber, and Aunt Celia help Laura and Elli on their first day at Auschwitz?
6. What does Elli's relationship with Jansci bring to her life?
7. At the start of her story, how do Elli's actions as her life starts to change indirectly describe her?
8. What is Bubi's relationship with other people?
9. What does the color 'yellow' symbolize in Elli's life?
10. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)