|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Bubi leaves his mother at Auschwitz, what does she see?
(a) A SS guard knocks him down.
(b) Another prisoner takes his food.
(c) Bubi takes off his shoes.
(d) Bubi is starting to cry.
2. During selection, to what side do the guards send Aunt Serene?
(a) Back to the cattle cars.
(b) To the left.
(c) To a factory.
(d) To the right.
3. After the women are driven into a room at Auschwitz, what happens to them?
(a) Given a bed and towel.
(b) Beaten to strip.
(c) Bathed by cruel guards.
(d) Forced at gunpoint to strip and are shaven.
4. Who is head of the barracks and inmates at Auschwitz?
(a) A large eighteen-year-old girl.
(b) A nun.
(c) A nurse.
(d) A boy, passing himself off as a female.
5. At Auschwitz, what clothes do the women receive?
(a) Gray dresses and shoes.
(b) Mismatched clothes from dead prisoners.
(c) Their old clothing.
(d) Cotton shirts and pants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the overall living conditions in "The Ghetto" for Jewish families?
2. As a young girl screams, what do the female prisoners begin to smell?
3. How far is Nagymagyar from Elli's home?
4. How does Elli feel as she travels away from Auschwitz?
5. What story does Bubbi tell his family in the middle of the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elli refuse to go out in her town?
2. What happens to the prisoners when they arrive at Auschwitz?
3. Why does Elli and her mother go to the cemetery before leaving for the ghetto?
4. How does the failed date with Jansci affect Elli?
5. What is ironic about the guards telling the prisoners to leave their possessions on the cattle cars?
6. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
7. What does Elli's relationship with Jansci bring to her life?
8. Why does Aunt Serena become so agitated the night before they leave for work camp?
9. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
10. Why do the guards hit the women who bring blankets outside?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)