|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elli work in school?
(a) She is sloppy in her work.
(b) She is incredibly ambitious.
(c) She makes good grades easily.
(d) She does not concentrate well.
2. As the guards order women to take their blankets inside, what do they do to the women?
(a) Slap their wrists.
(b) Shoot at them.
(c) Hit them on the head.
(d) Steal their food.
3. Why does Elli believe her mother slights her?
(a) Elli doesn't like Bubi.
(b) Elli is not pretty.
(c) Elli is too much like her father.
(d) Elli is not like Laura.
4. What happens to the women in the showers at Auschwitz?
(a) They are given soap.
(b) They are spashed with hot water.
(c) They are blasted with cold water.
(d) They are sprayed with poison.
5. How does Bubi manage to return from Budapest after the story breaks in the papers?
(a) Bubi doesn't return.
(b) Bubi's father gets him.
(c) Another father from the town helps Bubi.
(d) Bubi returns on his own.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elli's father think ambition is a desirable trait?
2. After their showers at Auschwitz, what do Elli and her mother desperately want?
3. How do many families cook in "The Ghetto"?
4. What do Elli and her mother do with their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
5. What does Elli do with her poetry journal when she sees a young mother denied possession of a single photo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of Laura keeping her handkerchief?
2. What is Elli's internal conflict about making parts for German aircraft?
3. Why does Aunt Serena become so agitated the night before they leave for work camp?
4. Why does Elli call her and her mother's reunion a "divine miracle"?
5. Why do the guards hit the women who bring blankets outside?
6. Why does the family make plans to leave their home town?
7. Why does the entire barrack stay up at night reading a prayer book?
8. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
9. How does the failed date with Jansci affect Elli?
10. Why does Elli want to sing the American national anthem when she arrives at the Statue of Liberty?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)