|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the town crier announce concerning Jews and socialization?
(a) Jews are not allowed to look at anyone.
(b) Jews are not allowed to speak to anyone.
(c) Jews are not allowed to socialize at all with Christians.
(d) Jews are not allowed to talk about Christians.
2. What do the aunt and cousins say about Elli and her mother's reaction to their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
(a) To throw it away.
(b) To give it to them.
(c) To send it back to the kitchen.
(d) To try eating more again.
3. When Elli sees her reflection on June 3, what is her reaction?
(a) She is shocked.
(b) "That isn't so bad."
(c) She is pleasently surprised.
(d) "I look like a man."
4. What do the guards do with all the Jews' books, documents, and photos?
(a) Collect them.
(b) Put them in boxes.
(c) Sort them into piles.
5. What does Elli do with her poetry journal when she sees a young mother denied possession of a single photo?
(a) Places it under her shirt.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Hides it.
(d) Puts it between layers of bedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of the book, why do the Hungarian police bother Elli's family?
2. What does a young girl do during a riot?
3. As the guards order women to take their blankets inside, what do they do to the women?
4. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura's father spend time doing?
5. Why does Elli believe her mother slights her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Elli's confused feelings when the women learn about the attempted uprising?
2. What does the interaction between Bubi and Laura at the Muhldorf train station show readers?
3. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
4. Why does Elli feel so different about her town after the war?
5. How does Laura's life change after the liberation?
6. What is the irony of Laura's excitement about moving to a work camp?
7. Why would Bubi's father ignore his story concerning Budapest?
8. What is Bubi's relationship with other people?
9. Why are the military guards so confused at Augsburg, and what does this say about Elli's condition?
10. From Elli's father's stance on ambition, what do readers learn about him?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)