|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As she leaves town, how does Elli ride?
(a) So she can see her home.
(b) With her back away from her house.
(c) So the soldiers can't see her cry.
(d) With her eyes closed.
2. Where does Jancsi want to meet Elli?
(a) The library.
(b) His home.
(c) The synagogue.
(d) A deli.
3. How long does it take Elli to arrive at Auschwitz?
(a) A few hours.
(b) Four nights.
(c) A week.
(d) Two days.
4. Why had the woman in charge of the barracks paid a horrible price for her survival?
(a) She was very thin.
(b) She was terribly mean.
(c) She bribed the guards.
(d) She killed other inmates.
5. Who is head of the barracks and inmates at Auschwitz?
(a) A nun.
(b) A nurse.
(c) A large eighteen-year-old girl.
(d) A boy, passing himself off as a female.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was food distributed at Auschwitz?
2. Where do Bonnie and Elli go to swim?
3. How does Bubi react to the news from the town crier?
4. For what does Old Mr. Stern pray?
5. What does a young girl do during a riot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the girl like who oversees the barracks?
2. Why does Elli refuse to go out in her town?
3. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
4. Why does Dr. Mengele tell Laura that Elli needs her more than Aunt Serene does?
5. From Elli's father's stance on ambition, what do readers learn about him?
6. Why do the guards hit the women who bring blankets outside?
7. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
8. Why does Aunt Serena become so agitated the night before they leave for work camp?
9. Why do soldiers make members of the ghetto surrender all books, documents, and photos?
10. Why does Elli's father become like "a statue of stone" as the family prepares for Nagymagyar?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)