|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What future plans does Elli have for Budapest?
(a) To marry there.
(b) To do research there.
(c) To attend medical school there.
(d) To live there while she attends seminary.
2. When Elli and Laura arrive at the waiting cart for Nagymagar, why are the soldiers angry?
(a) The Jews are loud and angry.
(b) One Jewish family brought too many belongings.
(c) Two Jewish females remain free in an Aryan town.
(d) The firewood will not remain situated.
3. After the women are driven into a room at Auschwitz, what happens to them?
(a) Given a bed and towel.
(b) Forced at gunpoint to strip and are shaven.
(c) Beaten to strip.
(d) Bathed by cruel guards.
4. What happens on March 27?
(a) Bubi comes home from Budapest.
(b) Guards order all Jewish residents to give up possessions of value.
(c) Laura falls ill.
(d) Elli's father makes documents for each family member.
5. Where does Elli finally place her poetry journal before leaving for the work camps?
(a) Gives it to Pista Szivos.
(b) Buries it in the synogogue.
(c) Puts it in a trash can.
(d) Leaves it on her bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Bonnie and Elli go to swim?
2. Where are many families sleeping in "The Ghetto"?
3. What do Marta Kalman and her mother bring Elli?
4. When the guards force the women outside for roll call, what does Elli wish she had thought about earlier?
5. As the guards order women to take their blankets inside, what do they do to the women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Laura's "lack of affection."
2. Why does Elli and her mother go to the cemetery before leaving for the ghetto?
3. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
4. What is the mood when the women smell gas behind closed doors?
5. Why does Aunt Serena become so agitated the night before they leave for work camp?
6. What happens to the prisoners when they arrive at Auschwitz?
7. What is the irony of Laura's excitement about moving to a work camp?
8. From Elli's father's stance on ambition, what do readers learn about him?
9. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
10. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)