|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Suri and Hindi doing on June 9 and 10?
(a) Tricking a guard.
(b) Stealing warm clothes.
(c) Searching for girls to trade places.
(d) Hiding their mother.
2. After their showers at Auschwitz, what do Elli and her mother desperately want?
3. Where do Laura and Elli visit before they traveled to Nagymagyar?
(a) The school.
(b) The river.
(c) The synogogue.
(d) The cemetery.
4. As Bubi leaves his mother at Auschwitz, what does she see?
(a) Another prisoner takes his food.
(b) Bubi takes off his shoes.
(c) Bubi is starting to cry.
(d) A SS guard knocks him down.
5. What story does Bubbi tell his family in the middle of the night?
(a) Hitler coming to their town.
(b) The war ending.
(c) Hungarian police leaving their town.
(d) Nazi soldiers in Budapest.
Short Answer Questions
1. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura's father spend time doing?
2. How does Elli's father react to Bubi's story from the middle of the night?
3. How does Elli feel as she travels away from Auschwitz?
4. Why does Laura hate leaving her sister behind at Auschwitz?
5. Who is head of the barracks and inmates at Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the color 'yellow' symbolize in Elli's life?
2. Why does Elli and her mother go to the cemetery before leaving for the ghetto?
3. What is Laura's fear as she and Elli leave Auschwitz?
4. What is Elli's fear as she and Laura leave Auschwitz the first time?
5. Why does Elli's father become like "a statue of stone" as the family prepares for Nagymagyar?
6. At the start of her story, how do Elli's actions as her life starts to change indirectly describe her?
7. What honesty does the chapter "Teen Vanity" bring to the book?
8. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
9. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
10. Why do the guards hit the women who bring blankets outside?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)