Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do many families cook in "The Ghetto"?
(a) With a grill.
(b) In an oven.
(c) They did not cook.
(d) Over an open fire.
2. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura pack for their trip?
(a) Food and other supplies.
(b) Extra shoes and socks.
(c) Shirts and warm pants.
(d) Reading materials.
3. Under what conditions does Elli leave her school?
(a) With her classmates crying.
(b) With taunts referring to her Jewish background.
(c) With little notice.
(d) With a graduation party.
4. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
(a) All schools are closed.
(b) The guards would not let her walk in public.
(c) Schools would not give Jewish children diplomas.
(d) She is too upset about Bubi.
5. For what are the women punished at Auschwitz?
(a) Sleeping too much.
(c) Not cleaning their rooms enough.
(d) Talking to guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Laura and Elli visit before they traveled to Nagymagyar?
2. What does Aunt Celia do on June 9 and 10?
3. What happens on March 27?
4. After their showers at Auschwitz, what do Elli and her mother desperately want?
5. What does Elli do with her poetry journal when she sees a young mother denied possession of a single photo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is sad concerning Laura and Elli's work on leveling a hillside in preparation of construction?
2. What do the events from the chapter "Mommy, There's a Worm in Your Soup" demonstrate?
3. Why is the first chapter titled "The City of My Dreams"?
4. How do the prisoners behave on the cars that leave from the Muhldorf train station?
5. Why are the military guards so confused at Augsburg, and what does this say about Elli's condition?
6. Why does Elli's dream convince her that her father is dead?
7. At first, how do the military guards treat the women, and how do the women respond at Augsburg?
8. What honesty does the chapter "Teen Vanity" bring to the book?
9. What are the prisoners reactions to the gunfire and planes in "It's An American Plane"?
10. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)