|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does a girl have blood running down her leg?
(a) She cut her leg.
(b) She started her period.
(c) She hurt herself at work.
(d) A guard shot her.
2. How does Elli work in school?
(a) She is sloppy in her work.
(b) She makes good grades easily.
(c) She does not concentrate well.
(d) She is incredibly ambitious.
3. What do the guards do with all the Jews' books, documents, and photos?
(a) Put them in boxes.
(c) Sort them into piles.
(d) Collect them.
4. Why does Laura hate leaving her sister behind at Auschwitz?
(a) Laura cared for Celia's children.
(b) Celia is weak minded.
(c) Laura took care of Celia.
(d) Celia suffers from diarrhea.
5. After the women are driven into a room at Auschwitz, what happens to them?
(a) Given a bed and towel.
(b) Beaten to strip.
(c) Forced at gunpoint to strip and are shaven.
(d) Bathed by cruel guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do soldiers order Elli to go to Nagymagyar?
2. As the guards order women to take their blankets inside, what do they do to the women?
3. What surrendered possession bothers Elli the most?
4. How far is Nagymagyar from Elli's home?
5. What does Elli's father show her in the basement?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the start of her story, how do Elli's actions as her life starts to change indirectly describe her?
2. What honesty does the chapter "Teen Vanity" bring to the book?
3. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
4. What is the girl like who oversees the barracks?
5. What does the color 'yellow' symbolize in Elli's life?
6. What do Elli, her family, and other Jews do when they arrive at the ghetto?
7. What is Laura's fear as she and Elli leave Auschwitz?
8. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
9. What does Elli's relationship with Jansci bring to her life?
10. Why would Bubi's father ignore his story concerning Budapest?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)