|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Elli and Laura first notice about "The Ghetto"?
(a) Hundreds of people are crammed into a small area.
(b) The place is empty except for guards.
(c) Everyone is crying.
(d) No one else obeys orders.
2. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura's father spend time doing?
(a) Resting his eyes.
(b) Preparing food.
(c) Reading the Talmud.
(d) Talking to his wife.
3. Why does Elli's father think ambition is a desirable trait?
(a) Ambition gives others confidence.
(b) Ambition makes others like you.
(c) Ambition shows you care.
(d) Ambition can make a person accomplish more.
4. How old is Elli as the story opens?
5. How does Bubi manage to return from Budapest after the story breaks in the papers?
(a) Another father from the town helps Bubi.
(b) Bubi doesn't return.
(c) Bubi's father gets him.
(d) Bubi returns on his own.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Elli, her mother, aunt, and two cousins form a group at mealtime?
2. What does Elli do with her poetry journal when she sees a young mother denied possession of a single photo?
3. What is each family supposed to take to Nagymagyar?
4. How does Bubi react to the news from the town crier?
5. How does Bubbi's father react when he sees the story later in the papers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the prisoners when they arrive at Auschwitz?
2. Why does Elli's father become like "a statue of stone" as the family prepares for Nagymagyar?
3. What honesty does the chapter "Teen Vanity" bring to the book?
4. Describe Laura's "lack of affection."
5. Why does Aunt Serena become so agitated the night before they leave for work camp?
6. What is Laura's fear as she and Elli leave Auschwitz?
7. Why is the first chapter titled "The City of My Dreams"?
8. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
9. From Elli's father's stance on ambition, what do readers learn about him?
10. How do Hindi, Suri Schreiber, and Aunt Celia help Laura and Elli on their first day at Auschwitz?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)