|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the women in the showers at Auschwitz?
(a) They are sprayed with poison.
(b) They are given soap.
(c) They are blasted with cold water.
(d) They are spashed with hot water.
2. Who is Pinhas?
(a) A boy who likes Elli.
(b) A boy who helps Elli's family.
(c) A kind guard in the ghetto.
(d) A popular cook in the ghetto.
3. How does Bubbi attain good grades in school?
(a) He constantly studies.
(b) He doesn't study.
(c) He doesn't make good grades.
(d) He does extra work.
4. At the start of the book, how does Elli spend her days?
(a) In typical pursuits of young girls of her age.
(b) Reading and writing for school.
(c) Sitting at home with her mother.
(d) Helping her father at the restaurant.
5. Why do soldiers order Elli to go to Nagymagyar?
(a) For better schooling.
(b) To live with relatives.
(c) For relocation.
(d) To find Bubi.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bubi manage to return from Budapest after the story breaks in the papers?
2. Why had the woman in charge of the barracks paid a horrible price for her survival?
3. How does Elli's father react to Bubi's story from the middle of the night?
4. What surrendered possession bothers Elli the most?
5. How does Bubbi's father react when he sees the story later in the papers?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the start of her story, how do Elli's actions as her life starts to change indirectly describe her?
2. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
3. Describe Laura's "lack of affection."
4. What happens to the prisoners when they arrive at Auschwitz?
5. What does Elli's father spend his last night doing before he leaves for a labor camp, and what does this tell readers about him?
6. Why does Elli refuse to go out in her town?
7. What honesty does the chapter "Teen Vanity" bring to the book?
8. Why does Elli's father become like "a statue of stone" as the family prepares for Nagymagyar?
9. What is the girl like who oversees the barracks?
10. Why is Bubi's reaction to the law concerning yellow stars typical of his personality?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)