|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bubi react to the news from the town crier?
(a) Bubi speaks to Christians.
(b) Bubi proudly creates a star.
(c) Bubi shops at the grocery market.
(d) Bubi goes out during the day.
2. What do the guards do with all the Jews' books, documents, and photos?
(a) Put them in boxes.
(c) Sort them into piles.
(d) Collect them.
3. What do Elli and Laura first notice about "The Ghetto"?
(a) Hundreds of people are crammed into a small area.
(b) No one else obeys orders.
(c) The place is empty except for guards.
(d) Everyone is crying.
4. What is each family supposed to take to Nagymagyar?
(a) Only what they could carry.
(b) A bag of clothes.
(c) One room of furniture.
5. What surrendered possession bothers Elli the most?
(a) A grammar book.
(b) A gold locket.
(c) A yellow Schwinn.
(d) A radio.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what are the women punished at Auschwitz?
2. What is the penalty for Christians who socialize with Jews?
3. How far is Nagymagyar from Elli's home?
4. What does the town crier announce as forbidden access for Jews?
5. Why does Elli believe her mother slights her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Mengele tell Laura that Elli needs her more than Aunt Serene does?
2. What do Elli, her family, and other Jews do when they arrive at the ghetto?
3. Why is the first chapter titled "The City of My Dreams"?
4. What reactions does Elli's poetry bring from her parents?
5. What is the irony of Laura's excitement about moving to a work camp?
6. What is the girl like who oversees the barracks?
7. Why does Elli and her mother go to the cemetery before leaving for the ghetto?
8. What does the new rule that Jews are not to socialize at all with Christians do to Elli and her family?
9. Why does Elli refuse to go out in her town?
10. What is ironic about the guards telling the prisoners to leave their possessions on the cattle cars?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)