|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Bubi receive permission to attend school after the war?
(b) New York.
2. What happens to Laura as she struggles because of her partial paralysis?
(a) A guard cruelly twists her arm.
(b) Laura falls over.
(c) Laura knocks food over.
(d) A guard kicks her down.
3. After the attempted uprising, what rumor do the women hear?
(a) Food will stop being served.
(b) Hitler is dead.
(c) Guards are sending them to the gas chambers.
(d) Americans are coming.
4. When the guards give the women new clothes at Augsburg, what does Elli receive?
(a) Comfortable shoes and a warm coat.
(b) A rough dress and small shoes.
(c) A pink dress and worn coat.
(d) Ugly pants and a thin shirt.
5. After the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what do the planes overhead do?
(a) Drop bombs.
(b) Fly away.
(c) Fire on the train formation.
(d) Take pictures.
6. When Elli arrives at Auschwitz the second time, what happens to the bed above Elli and Laura?
(a) It shatters.
(b) It has a broken plank.
(c) It is taken away.
(d) It is lumpy.
7. When Elli arrives at Auschwitz the second time, what does she realize?
(a) She cannot live much longer.
(b) She is alone.
(c) Hitler is not dead.
(d) Laura is quite ill.
8. On the train, why could a girl not see?
(a) She stabbed herself.
(b) She had poison in her eye.
(c) She had a needle in her eye.
(d) She was shot in the eye.
9. What does Laura do after she sees a worm in her soup?
(a) Gives it away.
(b) Continues to eat it.
(c) Dumps it out.
10. When Elli returns from her punishment for retrieving her coat, what has her mother done?
(a) Kept bread for Elli.
(b) Stolen an extra blanket for Elli.
(c) Saved her soup for Elli.
(d) Found Elli's coat.
11. How does Elli feel in her home town after the war?
(a) As if she is in danger.
(b) As if she is not a Jew.
(c) As if she does not belong.
(d) As if she had never left.
12. When the women arrive in Augsburg, what do the SS guards immediately do?
(a) Beat them.
(c) Force them to strip.
(d) Give them bread.
13. How does Elli feel about completing a complex part for her work at Augsburg?
(a) She is exhausted from thinking.
(b) She is sad.
(c) She is toiling against herself.
(d) She is relieved.
14. What does the family see on April 7, 1951?
(a) The Constitution of America.
(b) The Statue of Liberty.
(c) New York.
(d) The Eiffel Tower.
15. When the prisoners leaves the cars for the final time, what do the local people do?
(a) Run from them.
(b) Give them aid.
(c) Push the train cars away.
(d) Take them home.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the inmates travel, why do they struggle to breathe?
2. When women strip for guards, what is the one possession they retain?
3. What convinces Elli of her father's death?
4. The women learn that the civilians killed earlier were part of ___________.
5. When Elli arrived at Auschwitz the second time, what are the new barracks like?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)