|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the women arrive in Augsburg, what do the SS guards immediately do?
(a) Force them to strip.
(c) Give them bread.
(d) Beat them.
2. When Elli arrives at Auschwitz the second time, what does she realize?
(a) She cannot live much longer.
(b) She is alone.
(c) Laura is quite ill.
(d) Hitler is not dead.
3. At the Muhldorf train station, Elli and Laura lose sight of whom?
(a) Aunt Celia.
(b) The SS guards.
(d) Each other.
4. What time do Elli and Laura take a daily lunch break?
(b) They never receive a lunch break.
(c) 1:30 p.m.
(d) 11:00 a.m.
5. In June, what work do the guards assign Elli and her mother?
(a) Assembling guns.
(b) Cleaning clothes.
(c) Leveling a hillside.
(d) Sewing blankets.
6. When do Elli, Laura, and Bubi begin making the trip home?
(a) Fall of 1945.
(b) June of 1945.
(d) Winter of 1946.
7. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, how does the women's treatment change?
(a) Their food rations increase, as does their work.
(b) Their treatment becomes better.
(c) Their treatment does not change.
(d) Their treatment becomes worse.
8. On the night of Laura's injury at Auschwitz, what does Elli do?
(a) Cries in her bunk alone.
(b) Barely sleeps.
(c) Keeps praying.
(d) Remains with Laura.
9. A local woman thinks that Elli is __________years old.
10. When women strip for guards, what is the one possession they retain?
(a) Their underwear.
(b) Their blankets.
(c) Their socks.
(d) Their shoes.
11. What convinces Elli of her father's death?
(a) A guard.
(b) The sunset.
(c) A dream.
(d) Another prisoner's message.
12. When the train traveling from the Muhldorf train station stops near a cornfield, what do many prisoners do?
(a) Fight the guards.
(b) Eat the corn.
(c) Hide between the stalks.
(d) Run for help.
13. What does Mr. Scheidel bring Elli?
(a) Clippings of the newspaper.
(b) Raw meat.
(c) Crusts of bread.
(d) Potato scraps.
14. What happens to Laura as she struggles because of her partial paralysis?
(a) Laura knocks food over.
(b) Laura falls over.
(c) A guard cruelly twists her arm.
(d) A guard kicks her down.
15. What do Elli and Laura do the night before the scheduled decimation?
(a) Read a prayer book.
(b) Give away their blankets.
(c) Sleep extra.
(d) Eat their reserves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Later, after she has the clothes for a bit, how does Elli feel in her new clothes she receives at Augsburg?
2. After the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what happens as the prisoners stand outside the cars?
3. As the women traveled, what makes them feel better?
4. What happens the day the food arrives early at Laura and Elli's work?
5. What do the soldiers remove from the train cars?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)