|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Laura respond when the military guard asks her if she can hurry?
(a) She does not care.
(b) She can not go faster.
(c) She does not want to hurry.
(d) Her daughter needs her to stay back.
2. How does Elli first feel in her new clothes she receives at Augsburg?
3. When the inmates travel, why do they struggle to breathe?
(a) The heat and lack of air.
(b) Gas filled the air.
(c) The snow.
(d) The closed cars.
4. What is Elli's punishment for retrieving her coat?
(a) Kneeling on uncooked rice for an hour.
(b) Scrubbing bathroom floors.
(c) Standing in a hall all day without water or food.
(d) Running in the snow.
5. How do the guards carry out an act of decimation?
(a) Prisoners must choose which one dies.
(b) Prisoners work without food or water.
(c) Prisoners form a line, and every tenth one is shot.
(d) Prisoners are forced awake for days.
6. After the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what happens as the prisoners stand outside the cars?
(a) Bombs drop.
(b) SS soldiers run away.
(c) Trains crash.
(d) Gunfire erupts.
7. When a military guard asks Laura her name, how does she reply?
(a) With a fake name.
(b) With her tattooed number.
(c) With her mother's name.
(d) With her sister's name.
8. What do the soldiers remove from the train cars?
9. How does Laura pass roll call with her injury?
(a) Laura stands only when guards are present.
(b) Elli bribes the guard.
(c) Laura sits down.
(d) Elli and friends prop her up.
10. After the women waited to travel from Plaszow, what news do they receive?
(a) People will be let off soon.
(b) Dr. Mengele is dead.
(c) Food will be distributed soon.
(d) Thirty more people will be added to each car.
11. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, what happens to women's food?
(a) It is downgraded.
(b) It remains unchanged.
(c) It becomes better.
(d) It stops being served.
12. How does Elli feel in her home town after the war?
(a) As if she does not belong.
(b) As if she is in danger.
(c) As if she is not a Jew.
(d) As if she had never left.
13. How do Elli, Laura, and Bubi make the trip home?
(a) With money from the locals.
(b) On an airplane.
(c) In a bus.
(d) With help from American soldiers and a train.
14. After discussing Elli's age, what does the local woman do as she leaves?
(a) She makes the sign of the cross.
(b) She cries.
(c) She hugs Elli.
(d) She pats Elli.
15. What does Mr. Scheidel bring Elli?
(a) Crusts of bread.
(b) Raw meat.
(c) Clippings of the newspaper.
(d) Potato scraps.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Elli and Laura do the night before the scheduled decimation?
2. At the Muhldorf train station, Elli and Laura lose sight of whom?
3. After the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what do the planes overhead do?
4. How does Elli feel about completing a complex part for her work at Augsburg?
5. After the war, how does Laura earn money for food?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)