|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Elli, Laura and Bubi's home like after the war?
(a) Exactly as they left it.
(b) Full of other people's belongings.
(c) Completely torn down.
(d) Empty except for piles of human excrement.
2. When Elli arrives at Auschwitz the second time, what happens to the bed above Elli and Laura?
(a) It shatters.
(b) It is taken away.
(c) It has a broken plank.
(d) It is lumpy.
3. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, what do the military guards begin doing?
(a) Arguing with the SS guard.
(b) Keeping track of the SS guard's actions.
(c) Carrying whips and avoiding the women.
(d) Staying away from the SS guards.
4. When the women arrive in Augsburg, what do the SS guards immediately do?
(a) Give them bread.
(b) Force them to strip.
(d) Beat them.
5. When the women leave Plaszow, how do the guards force the inmates to travel?
(a) One hundred to a car.
(b) Without dinner.
(c) With new shoes.
6. When the women arrive in Augsburg, what initially confuses the military guards?
(a) They think the SS would be more helpful.
(b) They think the women are men.
(c) They think the women are to be stronger.
(d) They think fewer prisoners are coming.
7. When the guards give the women new clothes at Augsburg, what does Elli receive?
(a) Comfortable shoes and a warm coat.
(b) A rough dress and small shoes.
(c) A pink dress and worn coat.
(d) Ugly pants and a thin shirt.
8. When Elli returns from her punishment for retrieving her coat, what has her mother done?
(a) Kept bread for Elli.
(b) Saved her soup for Elli.
(c) Found Elli's coat.
(d) Stolen an extra blanket for Elli.
9. What do the local people say concerning the concentration camps?
(a) They stole money from them.
(b) They sneaked food in them.
(c) They knew nothing of them.
(d) They could not break into them.
10. Who plans to help the family in New York?
(b) A cousin.
(c) No one.
(d) Their uncle.
11. What do the soldiers remove from the train cars?
12. What happens the day the food arrives early at Laura and Elli's work?
(a) The food becomes putrid in the hot sun.
(b) Other prisoners steal the food.
(c) Animals eat the food.
(d) The food turns cold.
13. How does Laura pass roll call with her injury?
(a) Laura sits down.
(b) Elli bribes the guard.
(c) Laura stands only when guards are present.
(d) Elli and friends prop her up.
14. After discussing Elli's age, what does the local woman do as she leaves?
(a) She pats Elli.
(b) She cries.
(c) She makes the sign of the cross.
(d) She hugs Elli.
15. What is Laura's assignment at Waldlager?
(a) Scrubbing the floors.
(b) Organizing clothes.
(c) Cleaning the stables.
(d) Working in the kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the guards carry out an act of decimation?
2. When the inmates travel, why do they struggle to breathe?
3. How does Laura respond when the military guard asks her if she can hurry?
4. How does Elli feel in her home town after the war?
5. What happens to those who remain in the infirmary longer than three weeks at Auschwitz?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)