|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Elli returns from her punishment for retrieving her coat, how do Elli and Laura react to the day's events?
(a) They physically fight each other.
(b) They fall into bed, inconsolable.
(c) They do not sleep at all.
(d) They laugh at each other.
2. What does Laura keep wrapped around her foot?
(a) A compress.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A shoelace.
(d) A kerchief.
3. When the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what do the guards tell the prisoners?
(a) To come to the window of the cars for hot soup.
(b) To steal food if they want some.
(c) To stay on the trains.
(d) To lie to locals about their situations.
4. Where did Bubi's father die?
5. If Elli and her mother fail to keep pace at work, what is to be their punishment?
(b) Reduced food rations.
(c) A standing stall.
6. How does Elli respond to the local woman guessing her age?
(a) "I have lived a thousand years."
(b) "It is always night."
(c) "I am tired."
(d) "This too shall pass."
7. After discussing Elli's age, what does the local woman do as she leaves?
(a) She makes the sign of the cross.
(b) She pats Elli.
(c) She cries.
(d) She hugs Elli.
8. After the attempted uprising, what rumor do the women hear?
(a) Americans are coming.
(b) Guards are sending them to the gas chambers.
(c) Food will stop being served.
(d) Hitler is dead.
9. Why does the family wait at their home after the war?
(a) To unearth their neighbors' belongings.
(b) To find their buried belongings.
(c) To see their friends return.
(d) To see if father returns.
10. When Elli arrived at Auschwitz the second time, what are the new barracks like?
(a) They are cleaner than their previous ones.
(b) They are made of metal.
(c) They have no blankets.
(d) They are tiers of bunks.
11. How does Elli get Laura out of the infirmary?
(a) By making Laura walk.
(b) By carrying her.
(c) With a cart.
(d) With help from other women.
12. When women strip for guards, what is the one possession they retain?
(a) Their underwear.
(b) Their blankets.
(c) Their shoes.
(d) Their socks.
13. After the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, how does Laura behave?
(a) She cries.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She refuses to lie down.
(d) She becomes delirious.
14. During the rainstorm, what does the commander tell the women?
(a) To work faster.
(b) To go inside.
(c) To continue working.
(d) To be quiet.
15. On the train, why could a girl not see?
(a) She stabbed herself.
(b) She was shot in the eye.
(c) She had a needle in her eye.
(d) She had poison in her eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the night of Laura's injury at Auschwitz, what does Elli do?
2. What does Mr. Scheidel bring Elli?
3. After the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what do the planes overhead do?
4. How do Elli, Laura, and Bubi make the trip home?
5. When a rainstorm hits suddenly, what are the women doing?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)