|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the attempted uprising, what rumor do the women hear?
(a) Americans are coming.
(b) Food will stop being served.
(c) Guards are sending them to the gas chambers.
(d) Hitler is dead.
2. When women strip for guards, what is the one possession they retain?
(a) Their underwear.
(b) Their socks.
(c) Their shoes.
(d) Their blankets.
3. As the women traveled, what makes them feel better?
(a) The cooling air temperature.
(b) People cheering them on.
4. After discussing Elli's age, what does the local woman do as she leaves?
(a) She cries.
(b) She pats Elli.
(c) She hugs Elli.
(d) She makes the sign of the cross.
5. What is Elli, Laura and Bubi's home like after the war?
(a) Full of other people's belongings.
(b) Empty except for piles of human excrement.
(c) Exactly as they left it.
(d) Completely torn down.
6. How do the guards carry out an act of decimation?
(a) Prisoners must choose which one dies.
(b) Prisoners work without food or water.
(c) Prisoners are forced awake for days.
(d) Prisoners form a line, and every tenth one is shot.
7. How is Laura severely injured at Auschwitz?
(a) A train ran her over.
(b) A soldier beat her head.
(c) A guard shot her foot.
(d) A bed pinned Laura in an unnatural position.
8. Why does an SS officer severely beat Elli?
(a) Elli gives him a nasty look.
(b) Elli argues with him.
(c) Elli does not give him her shoes.
(d) Elli jumps on him to defend her mother.
9. When Elli arrives at Auschwitz the second time, what do the inmates receive?
(a) Extra blankets.
(c) A tattoo.
10. How does Elli first feel in her new clothes she receives at Augsburg?
11. How does Elli feel in her home town after the war?
(a) As if she had never left.
(b) As if she is not a Jew.
(c) As if she is in danger.
(d) As if she does not belong.
12. What do the soldiers remove from the train cars?
13. After the war, what do the three vow?
(a) Never to separate.
(b) Never to marry.
(c) Always to pray.
(d) Always to save money.
14. What time do Elli and Laura take a daily lunch break?
(a) They never receive a lunch break.
(c) 11:00 a.m.
(d) 1:30 p.m.
15. How do Elli, Laura, and Bubi make the trip home?
(a) In a bus.
(b) With money from the locals.
(c) On an airplane.
(d) With help from American soldiers and a train.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the train traveling from the Muhldorf train station stops near a cornfield, what do many prisoners do?
2. During the women's first night at Augsburg, how do guards feed them?
3. What is Elli's punishment for retrieving her coat?
4. What do the local people say concerning the concentration camps?
5. What happens to Laura as she struggles because of her partial paralysis?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)