|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Elli returns from her punishment for retrieving her coat, how do Elli and Laura react to the day's events?
(a) They laugh at each other.
(b) They do not sleep at all.
(c) They physically fight each other.
(d) They fall into bed, inconsolable.
2. Why does Laura put a piece of cloth around Bubi's head?
(a) To pass him off as a woman.
(b) To see him in crowds.
(c) To keep the cloth with the family.
(d) To stop his bleeding.
3. How does Elli feel in her home town after the war?
(a) As if she had never left.
(b) As if she is in danger.
(c) As if she is not a Jew.
(d) As if she does not belong.
4. After the women's first night at Augsburg, how do the women react to their treatment?
(a) Several cried.
(b) Several laughed.
(c) Many attemped suicide.
(d) They jumped with excitement.
5. How long wis Elli and Laura's lunch break?
(a) Fifteen minutes.
(b) Half hour.
(c) They never recieve a lunch break.
(d) An hour.
6. What task do the military guards give Elli at Augsburg?
(a) Manufacturing parts for German aircraft.
(b) Sewing clothes.
(c) Cooking in the kitchen.
(d) Guarding older women.
7. How does Elli feel about completing a complex part for her work at Augsburg?
(a) She is sad.
(b) She is exhausted from thinking.
(c) She is toiling against herself.
(d) She is relieved.
8. When the train traveling from the Muhldorf train station stops near a cornfield, what does Laura do?
(a) Finds food.
(b) Searches for Bubi.
(c) Drinks water.
(d) Cries on the tracks.
9. What do the local people say concerning the concentration camps?
(a) They knew nothing of them.
(b) They stole money from them.
(c) They could not break into them.
(d) They sneaked food in them.
10. After the war, what do the three vow?
(a) Never to separate.
(b) Always to save money.
(c) Never to marry.
(d) Always to pray.
11. What convinces Elli of her father's death?
(a) A guard.
(b) The sunset.
(c) A dream.
(d) Another prisoner's message.
12. After the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what do the planes overhead do?
(a) Take pictures.
(b) Fire on the train formation.
(c) Drop bombs.
(d) Fly away.
13. When Elli arrives at Auschwitz the second time, what do the inmates receive?
(a) Extra blankets.
(c) A tattoo.
14. As the women traveled, what makes them feel better?
(b) The cooling air temperature.
(d) People cheering them on.
15. How do Elli, Laura, and Bubi make the trip home?
(a) With help from American soldiers and a train.
(b) With money from the locals.
(c) In a bus.
(d) On an airplane.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Elli and her mother fail to keep pace at work, what is to be their punishment?
2. Why are the women often forced to strip?
3. When the guards give the women new clothes at Augsburg, what does Elli receive?
4. When the prisoners leaves the cars for the final time, what do the local people do?
5. How is Laura severely injured at Auschwitz?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)