|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the night of Laura's injury at Auschwitz, what does Elli do?
(a) Barely sleeps.
(b) Remains with Laura.
(c) Keeps praying.
(d) Cries in her bunk alone.
2. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, what do the military guards begin doing?
(a) Carrying whips and avoiding the women.
(b) Keeping track of the SS guard's actions.
(c) Arguing with the SS guard.
(d) Staying away from the SS guards.
3. How does Laura respond when the military guard asks her if she can hurry?
(a) Her daughter needs her to stay back.
(b) She does not want to hurry.
(c) She can not go faster.
(d) She does not care.
4. Where did Bubi's father die?
5. How does Elli feel about completing a complex part for her work at Augsburg?
(a) She is exhausted from thinking.
(b) She is toiling against herself.
(c) She is sad.
(d) She is relieved.
6. What is Elli, Laura and Bubi's home like after the war?
(a) Empty except for piles of human excrement.
(b) Exactly as they left it.
(c) Full of other people's belongings.
(d) Completely torn down.
7. When the women arrive in Augsburg, what do the SS guards immediately do?
(a) Beat them.
(c) Give them bread.
(d) Force them to strip.
8. After the war, how does Laura earn money for food?
(a) Cleaning homes.
(b) Translating papers.
(c) Tutoring students.
(d) Sewing for Russian girls.
9. When Elli arrives at Auschwitz the second time, what do the inmates receive?
(a) Extra blankets.
(b) A tattoo.
10. At Waldlager, when does Bubi begin talking?
(a) After Elli helps him by giving him bread.
(b) After the guards disappear.
(c) When Elli speaks of their father.
(d) When Laura brings him soup.
11. When women strip for guards, what is the one possession they retain?
(a) Their shoes.
(b) Their socks.
(c) Their blankets.
(d) Their underwear.
12. When the women leave Plaszow, how do the guards force the inmates to travel?
(b) With new shoes.
(c) Without dinner.
(d) One hundred to a car.
13. What do Elli and Laura do the night before the scheduled decimation?
(a) Read a prayer book.
(b) Give away their blankets.
(c) Sleep extra.
(d) Eat their reserves.
14. At the Muhldorf train station, Elli and Laura lose sight of whom?
(a) The SS guards.
(c) Aunt Celia.
(d) Each other.
15. After the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what do the planes overhead do?
(a) Fly away.
(b) Take pictures.
(c) Drop bombs.
(d) Fire on the train formation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Scheidel bring Elli?
2. Why does the family wait at their home after the war?
3. When Elli returns from her punishment for retrieving her coat, what has her mother done?
4. A local woman thinks that Elli is __________years old.
5. What do the women who shoveled snow at Augsburg find?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)