|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the rainstorm, what does the commander tell the women?
(a) To go inside.
(b) To be quiet.
(c) To continue working.
(d) To work faster.
2. What does Mr. Scheidel bring Elli?
(a) Potato scraps.
(b) Clippings of the newspaper.
(c) Raw meat.
(d) Crusts of bread.
3. When the women arrive in Augsburg, what initially confuses the military guards?
(a) They think the SS would be more helpful.
(b) They think the women are to be stronger.
(c) They think fewer prisoners are coming.
(d) They think the women are men.
4. After the war, how does Laura earn money for food?
(a) Tutoring students.
(b) Translating papers.
(c) Cleaning homes.
(d) Sewing for Russian girls.
5. How is Laura severely injured at Auschwitz?
(a) A guard shot her foot.
(b) A bed pinned Laura in an unnatural position.
(c) A soldier beat her head.
(d) A train ran her over.
6. On the day of the scheduled decimation, what happens?
(a) The women revolt.
(b) The guards threaten other punishments.
(c) The guards do not come to work.
(d) The women are forced to work as usual.
7. On the train, why could a girl not see?
(a) She had poison in her eye.
(b) She had a needle in her eye.
(c) She was shot in the eye.
(d) She stabbed herself.
8. Immediately following their freedom, what confuses Elli and the other passengers?
(a) The men speak Polish.
(b) The men tell them to get off the train.
(c) The men offer them food.
(d) The men who opened the doors speak a different language.
9. What do Elli and Laura do the night before the scheduled decimation?
(a) Sleep extra.
(b) Read a prayer book.
(c) Give away their blankets.
(d) Eat their reserves.
10. Immediately following their freedom, how does a man who spoke Yiddish help?
(a) He translates for the passengers.
(b) He gives the passengers food.
(c) He brings the passengers clothing.
(d) He relays doctors' orders to the passengers.
11. Later, after she has the clothes for a bit, how does Elli feel in her new clothes she receives at Augsburg?
12. After the women's first night at Augsburg, how do the women react to their treatment?
(a) Several laughed.
(b) Several cried.
(c) Many attemped suicide.
(d) They jumped with excitement.
13. How do Elli, Laura, and Bubi make the trip home?
(a) On an airplane.
(b) With help from American soldiers and a train.
(c) With money from the locals.
(d) In a bus.
14. What do the local people say concerning the concentration camps?
(a) They sneaked food in them.
(b) They could not break into them.
(c) They knew nothing of them.
(d) They stole money from them.
15. The women learn that the civilians killed earlier were part of ___________.
(a) An undercover reporter's investigation.
(b) A plan to liberate the inmates.
(c) A plan to steal from the factories.
(d) A movement for more food.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Elli arrives at Auschwitz the second time, what does she realize?
2. When a military guard asks Laura her name, how does she reply?
3. After the war, what do the three vow?
4. After the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what happens as the prisoners stand outside the cars?
5. Why does an SS officer severely beat Elli?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)