|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Laura's assignment at Waldlager?
(a) Scrubbing the floors.
(b) Working in the kitchen.
(c) Cleaning the stables.
(d) Organizing clothes.
2. What is Elli's punishment for retrieving her coat?
(a) Scrubbing bathroom floors.
(b) Kneeling on uncooked rice for an hour.
(c) Standing in a hall all day without water or food.
(d) Running in the snow.
3. What happens the day the food arrives early at Laura and Elli's work?
(a) The food turns cold.
(b) Animals eat the food.
(c) The food becomes putrid in the hot sun.
(d) Other prisoners steal the food.
4. Why does an SS officer severely beat Elli?
(a) Elli gives him a nasty look.
(b) Elli argues with him.
(c) Elli does not give him her shoes.
(d) Elli jumps on him to defend her mother.
5. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, how does the women's treatment change?
(a) Their treatment becomes worse.
(b) Their treatment does not change.
(c) Their treatment becomes better.
(d) Their food rations increase, as does their work.
6. When Elli returns from her punishment for retrieving her coat, what has her mother done?
(a) Stolen an extra blanket for Elli.
(b) Kept bread for Elli.
(c) Found Elli's coat.
(d) Saved her soup for Elli.
7. What is Elli, Laura and Bubi's home like after the war?
(a) Empty except for piles of human excrement.
(b) Completely torn down.
(c) Full of other people's belongings.
(d) Exactly as they left it.
8. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, what happens to women's food?
(a) It becomes better.
(b) It is downgraded.
(c) It stops being served.
(d) It remains unchanged.
9. What does Laura keep wrapped around her foot?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A compress.
(c) A kerchief.
(d) A shoelace.
10. After the war, what do the three vow?
(a) Never to separate.
(b) Always to pray.
(c) Never to marry.
(d) Always to save money.
11. When the prisoners leaves the cars for the final time, what do the local people do?
(a) Give them aid.
(b) Run from them.
(c) Take them home.
(d) Push the train cars away.
12. A local woman thinks that Elli is __________years old.
13. Immediately following their freedom, how does a man who spoke Yiddish help?
(a) He gives the passengers food.
(b) He relays doctors' orders to the passengers.
(c) He brings the passengers clothing.
(d) He translates for the passengers.
14. What do Elli and Laura do the night before the scheduled decimation?
(a) Give away their blankets.
(b) Sleep extra.
(c) Read a prayer book.
(d) Eat their reserves.
15. What does Mr. Scheidel bring Elli?
(a) Clippings of the newspaper.
(b) Potato scraps.
(c) Raw meat.
(d) Crusts of bread.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Elli's last train ride under the German soldiers' control, who is there when the doors open?
2. When the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what do the guards tell the prisoners?
3. What happens to Laura as she struggles because of her partial paralysis?
4. When the guards give the women new clothes at Augsburg, what does Elli receive?
5. After the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what happens as the prisoners stand outside the cars?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)