|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laura keep wrapped around her foot?
(a) A shoelace.
(b) A compress.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A kerchief.
2. How does Elli feel in her home town after the war?
(a) As if she does not belong.
(b) As if she is not a Jew.
(c) As if she is in danger.
(d) As if she had never left.
3. After the women's first night at Augsburg, how do the women react to their treatment?
(a) Several cried.
(b) Many attemped suicide.
(c) Several laughed.
(d) They jumped with excitement.
4. How do the guards carry out an act of decimation?
(a) Prisoners must choose which one dies.
(b) Prisoners work without food or water.
(c) Prisoners form a line, and every tenth one is shot.
(d) Prisoners are forced awake for days.
5. At the Muhldorf train station, Elli and Laura lose sight of whom?
(a) Each other.
(b) Aunt Celia.
(c) The SS guards.
6. On the day of the scheduled decimation, what happens?
(a) The guards threaten other punishments.
(b) The women revolt.
(c) The guards do not come to work.
(d) The women are forced to work as usual.
7. Why does an SS officer severely beat Elli?
(a) Elli jumps on him to defend her mother.
(b) Elli does not give him her shoes.
(c) Elli argues with him.
(d) Elli gives him a nasty look.
8. What happens to those who remain in the infirmary longer than three weeks at Auschwitz?
(a) They are "removed."
(b) They are given easier work.
(c) They are taken to a different camp.
(d) They are put back in the barracks.
9. Immediately following their freedom, what confuses Elli and the other passengers?
(a) The men who opened the doors speak a different language.
(b) The men offer them food.
(c) The men tell them to get off the train.
(d) The men speak Polish.
10. What happens the day the food arrives early at Laura and Elli's work?
(a) Animals eat the food.
(b) Other prisoners steal the food.
(c) The food turns cold.
(d) The food becomes putrid in the hot sun.
11. How does Laura respond when the military guard asks her if she can hurry?
(a) She can not go faster.
(b) She does not want to hurry.
(c) Her daughter needs her to stay back.
(d) She does not care.
12. When do Elli, Laura, and Bubi begin making the trip home?
(b) June of 1945.
(c) Winter of 1946.
(d) Fall of 1945.
13. When the train traveling from the Muhldorf train station stops near a cornfield, what does Laura do?
(a) Drinks water.
(b) Finds food.
(c) Searches for Bubi.
(d) Cries on the tracks.
14. What is discovered when the women arrive at Camp Landsberg?
(a) Too many women have died.
(b) Camp Landsberg is filled to capacity.
(c) Camp Landsberg is full of men.
(d) The women are too weak to work.
15. After the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, how does Laura behave?
(a) She becomes delirious.
(b) She refuses to lie down.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She cries.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Elli, Laura, and Bubi make the trip home?
2. After the attempted uprising, what rumor do the women hear?
3. After Elli returns from her punishment for retrieving her coat, how do Elli and Laura react to the day's events?
4. How does Elli get Laura out of the infirmary?
5. When Elli arrived at Auschwitz the second time, what are the new barracks like?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)