|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, what happens to women's food?
(a) It remains unchanged.
(b) It stops being served.
(c) It becomes better.
(d) It is downgraded.
2. On the night of Laura's injury at Auschwitz, what does Elli do?
(a) Remains with Laura.
(b) Barely sleeps.
(c) Cries in her bunk alone.
(d) Keeps praying.
3. Why are the women often forced to strip?
(a) For new clothes.
(b) For numbering.
(c) For new prisoners.
(d) For showers and examinations.
4. In "Herr Zerkubel" how are the women sorted?
(a) By weight.
(b) By age.
(c) By height.
(d) By hair and eye color.
5. What does Laura keep wrapped around her foot?
(a) A kerchief.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A shoelace.
(d) A compress.
6. When Elli arrived at Auschwitz the second time, what are the new barracks like?
(a) They are made of metal.
(b) They have no blankets.
(c) They are cleaner than their previous ones.
(d) They are tiers of bunks.
7. At Waldlager, when does Bubi begin talking?
(a) After Elli helps him by giving him bread.
(b) After the guards disappear.
(c) When Elli speaks of their father.
(d) When Laura brings him soup.
8. What does the family see on April 7, 1951?
(a) New York.
(b) The Statue of Liberty.
(c) The Eiffel Tower.
(d) The Constitution of America.
9. What happens to those who remain in the infirmary longer than three weeks at Auschwitz?
(a) They are given easier work.
(b) They are put back in the barracks.
(c) They are "removed."
(d) They are taken to a different camp.
10. When the inmates travel, why do they struggle to breathe?
(a) Gas filled the air.
(b) The closed cars.
(c) The heat and lack of air.
(d) The snow.
11. How do the guards carry out an act of decimation?
(a) Prisoners form a line, and every tenth one is shot.
(b) Prisoners must choose which one dies.
(c) Prisoners are forced awake for days.
(d) Prisoners work without food or water.
12. How does Laura respond when the military guard asks her if she can hurry?
(a) She does not want to hurry.
(b) She can not go faster.
(c) Her daughter needs her to stay back.
(d) She does not care.
13. Later, after she has the clothes for a bit, how does Elli feel in her new clothes she receives at Augsburg?
14. What is Elli, Laura and Bubi's home like after the war?
(a) Full of other people's belongings.
(b) Empty except for piles of human excrement.
(c) Exactly as they left it.
(d) Completely torn down.
15. At what point does Elli say she is a true concentration camp inmate?
(a) After a month.
(b) The first day.
(c) When a friend dies.
(d) At seven and a half weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Laura make a lamp for the Sabbath at Augsburg?
2. How long wis Elli and Laura's lunch break?
3. What does Laura do after she sees a worm in her soup?
4. After discussing Elli's age, what does the local woman do as she leaves?
5. When the train from Muhldorf pulls into a station at noon, what is there?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)