|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elli feel about completing a complex part for her work at Augsburg?
(a) She is sad.
(b) She is toiling against herself.
(c) She is relieved.
(d) She is exhausted from thinking.
2. After the war, how does Laura earn money for food?
(a) Tutoring students.
(b) Cleaning homes.
(c) Sewing for Russian girls.
(d) Translating papers.
3. As the women traveled, what makes them feel better?
(a) People cheering them on.
(d) The cooling air temperature.
4. After Elli's last train ride under the German soldiers' control, who is there when the doors open?
(a) Josef Mengele.
(b) Local townpeople.
(c) American soldiers.
(d) More German soldiers.
5. What is Elli's punishment for visiting her mother every morning at the infirmary?
(a) A whipping.
(b) Kneeling for twenty-four hours.
(c) Not eating for a day.
(d) Cleaning all night.
6. When the prisoners leaves the cars for the final time, what do the local people do?
(a) Push the train cars away.
(b) Give them aid.
(c) Run from them.
(d) Take them home.
7. Immediately following their freedom, how does a man who spoke Yiddish help?
(a) He brings the passengers clothing.
(b) He translates for the passengers.
(c) He relays doctors' orders to the passengers.
(d) He gives the passengers food.
8. Why does the family wait at their home after the war?
(a) To see their friends return.
(b) To find their buried belongings.
(c) To unearth their neighbors' belongings.
(d) To see if father returns.
9. What do the women who shoveled snow at Augsburg find?
10. How does Laura make a lamp for the Sabbath at Augsburg?
(a) With stolen gas.
(b) From a potato and oil.
(c) From a candle.
(d) With a lightbulb.
11. How does Elli feel in her home town after the war?
(a) As if she had never left.
(b) As if she is not a Jew.
(c) As if she is in danger.
(d) As if she does not belong.
12. When a rainstorm hits suddenly, what are the women doing?
(b) Scrubbing the barrack's floors.
(c) Moving dirt.
(d) Cleaning the kitchen.
13. When an SS guard arrives at Augsburg, what do the military guards begin doing?
(a) Carrying whips and avoiding the women.
(b) Arguing with the SS guard.
(c) Keeping track of the SS guard's actions.
(d) Staying away from the SS guards.
14. What is discovered when the women arrive at Camp Landsberg?
(a) The women are too weak to work.
(b) Camp Landsberg is full of men.
(c) Camp Landsberg is filled to capacity.
(d) Too many women have died.
15. What happens the day the food arrives early at Laura and Elli's work?
(a) The food becomes putrid in the hot sun.
(b) Animals eat the food.
(c) The food turns cold.
(d) Other prisoners steal the food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the soldiers remove from the train cars?
2. Why does Laura put a piece of cloth around Bubi's head?
3. How does Laura pass roll call with her injury?
4. What is Elli's punishment for retrieving her coat?
5. How is Laura severely injured at Auschwitz?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)