|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elli learn from the town crier?
(a) Jews are not to shop at the grocery market.
(b) All Jews are to wear a yellow cloth star.
(c) All Jews are to stay inside during the day.
(d) Jews are not to speak to Christians.
2. Whom does Elli's family share a house with in "The Ghetto"?
3. At the start of the book, how does Elli spend her days?
(a) Sitting at home with her mother.
(b) In typical pursuits of young girls of her age.
(c) Reading and writing for school.
(d) Helping her father at the restaurant.
4. After a guard takes the young girl during the riot, what do the females hear?
(a) Her tears.
(b) A shot.
(c) A train pulling away.
(d) Guards yelling.
5. How far is Nagymagyar from Elli's home?
(a) A nautical mile.
(b) A hundred millimeters.
(c) Nine kilometers.
(d) Fourteen kilometers.
6. Where are many families sleeping in "The Ghetto"?
(a) In tents.
(c) Abandonded buildings.
(d) The synagogue.
7. What does Aunt Celia do on June 9 and 10?
(a) Takes more blankets.
(b) Beats a guard.
(c) Trades places with another woman.
(d) Steals food from the kitchen.
8. When the guards force the women outside for roll call, what does Elli wish she had thought about earlier?
(a) Keeping her food.
(b) Bringing a blanket.
(c) Wearing her shoes.
(d) Taking a hat.
9. How does Bubbi attain good grades in school?
(a) He constantly studies.
(b) He does extra work.
(c) He doesn't make good grades.
(d) He doesn't study.
10. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura's father spend time doing?
(a) Preparing food.
(b) Resting his eyes.
(c) Reading the Talmud.
(d) Talking to his wife.
11. How does Bubbi's father react when he sees the story later in the papers?
(a) He doesn't believe the paper.
(b) He considers going to Budapest in search of Bubi.
(c) He calls Bubi at school.
(d) He writes the paper a letter.
12. Why had the woman in charge of the barracks paid a horrible price for her survival?
(a) She killed other inmates.
(b) She was terribly mean.
(c) She bribed the guards.
(d) She was very thin.
13. Why does Elli's father think ambition is a desirable trait?
(a) Ambition gives others confidence.
(b) Ambition shows you care.
(c) Ambition can make a person accomplish more.
(d) Ambition makes others like you.
14. How old is Elli as the story opens?
15. What happens on March 27?
(a) Guards order all Jewish residents to give up possessions of value.
(b) Elli's father makes documents for each family member.
(c) Bubi comes home from Budapest.
(d) Laura falls ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Pinhas?
2. What do Elli and Laura do on June 9 and 10?
3. During selection, what warning does Elli receive?
4. How does Elli work in school?
5. For what are the women punished at Auschwitz?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)