|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elli believe her mother slights her?
(a) Elli doesn't like Bubi.
(b) Elli is not pretty.
(c) Elli is too much like her father.
(d) Elli is not like Laura.
2. On what does Elli's poetry focus?
(a) Hard work.
(b) Flowers and nature.
(c) The darker sides of life.
3. Where does Jancsi want to meet Elli?
(a) His home.
(b) The library.
(c) A deli.
(d) The synagogue.
4. What is each family supposed to take to Nagymagyar?
(a) Only what they could carry.
(b) A bag of clothes.
(c) One room of furniture.
5. Where does Elli finally place her poetry journal before leaving for the work camps?
(a) Leaves it on her bed.
(b) Gives it to Pista Szivos.
(c) Puts it in a trash can.
(d) Buries it in the synogogue.
6. What is the setting as the story opens?
(a) Elli's school in 1945.
(c) The town of Somorja in 1943.
(d) The past, in the ghetto.
7. As Bubi leaves his mother at Auschwitz, what does she see?
(a) Another prisoner takes his food.
(b) Bubi is starting to cry.
(c) A SS guard knocks him down.
(d) Bubi takes off his shoes.
8. What is Laura's reaction about Aunt Serene's orders to go to a side different from Laura's during selection?
(a) Laura begs to go with her sister.
(b) Laura keeps quiet about her sister.
(c) Laura chases after her sister.
(d) Laura hides behind Elli.
9. What are Suri and Hindi doing on June 9 and 10?
(a) Tricking a guard.
(b) Searching for girls to trade places.
(c) Hiding their mother.
(d) Stealing warm clothes.
10. Why do soldiers order Elli to go to Nagymagyar?
(a) To find Bubi.
(b) For relocation.
(c) For better schooling.
(d) To live with relatives.
11. Where do Laura and Elli visit before they traveled to Nagymagyar?
(a) The river.
(b) The synogogue.
(c) The school.
(d) The cemetery.
12. What is the penalty for Christians who socialize with Jews?
(a) Suspended licenses.
(c) Loss of job.
13. Who is Pinhas?
(a) A kind guard in the ghetto.
(b) A popular cook in the ghetto.
(c) A boy who likes Elli.
(d) A boy who helps Elli's family.
14. What place does Elli describe as "the most notorious forced labor camp in Poland"?
15. After a guard takes the young girl during the riot, what do the females hear?
(a) Guards yelling.
(b) A shot.
(c) A train pulling away.
(d) Her tears.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what conditions does Elli leave her school?
2. Why does Elli return to her school after the schools are closed?
3. As a young girl screams, what do the female prisoners begin to smell?
4. For what does Old Mr. Stern pray?
5. How does Elli work in school?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)