|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What future plans does Elli have for Budapest?
(a) To marry there.
(b) To attend medical school there.
(c) To do research there.
(d) To live there while she attends seminary.
2. When Elli and Laura arrive at the waiting cart for Nagymagar, why are the soldiers angry?
(a) The Jews are loud and angry.
(b) The firewood will not remain situated.
(c) Two Jewish females remain free in an Aryan town.
(d) One Jewish family brought too many belongings.
3. What is each family supposed to take to Nagymagyar?
(b) Only what they could carry.
(c) A bag of clothes.
(d) One room of furniture.
4. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
(a) She is too upset about Bubi.
(b) Schools would not give Jewish children diplomas.
(c) The guards would not let her walk in public.
(d) All schools are closed.
5. Where do Bonnie and Elli go to swim?
(a) A neighbor's pool.
(b) An ocean.
(c) The town pool.
(d) The Danube.
6. Where are many families sleeping in "The Ghetto"?
(b) Abandonded buildings.
(c) The synagogue.
(d) In tents.
7. How does Bubbi's father react when he sees the story later in the papers?
(a) He calls Bubi at school.
(b) He doesn't believe the paper.
(c) He considers going to Budapest in search of Bubi.
(d) He writes the paper a letter.
8. Why do Elli, her mother, aunt, and two cousins form a group at mealtime?
(a) To share the food equally.
(b) To prevent other prisoners stealing their clothes.
(c) To stay warm.
(d) To get more bowls of soup.
9. What are Elli's family living quarters in "The Ghetto"?
(a) They have a tent.
(b) They have a small three-room house.
(c) They live in a synogogue.
(d) They share a home with two families.
10. At Auschwitz, what clothes do the women receive?
(a) Gray dresses and shoes.
(b) Mismatched clothes from dead prisoners.
(c) Cotton shirts and pants.
(d) Their old clothing.
11. Under what conditions does Elli leave her school?
(a) With a graduation party.
(b) With taunts referring to her Jewish background.
(c) With her classmates crying.
(d) With little notice.
12. Who is head of the barracks and inmates at Auschwitz?
(a) A nurse.
(b) A boy, passing himself off as a female.
(c) A large eighteen-year-old girl.
(d) A nun.
13. How does Laura demonstrate affection?
(a) Laura is not demonstrative with affection.
(b) Laura reads stories at night.
(c) Laura gives lots of hugs and kisses.
(d) Laura writes her children notes.
14. How does Bubi react to the news from the town crier?
(a) Bubi proudly creates a star.
(b) Bubi goes out during the day.
(c) Bubi shops at the grocery market.
(d) Bubi speaks to Christians.
15. How do other boys react to Bubi's attitude concerning his yellow star?
(a) Other boys warn Bubi about his dangerous attitude.
(b) Other boys shy away from Bubi.
(c) Other boys pick up Bubi's attitude.
(d) Other boys give Bubi money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surrendered possession bothers Elli the most?
2. How does Elli's planned meeting with Jansci occur?
3. What does Elli do with her poetry journal when she sees a young mother denied possession of a single photo?
4. As a young girl screams, what do the female prisoners begin to smell?
5. Elli thinks her mother's favorite child is _______________.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)