|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do many families cook in "The Ghetto"?
(a) They did not cook.
(b) With a grill.
(c) In an oven.
(d) Over an open fire.
2. Why do Elli, her mother, aunt, and two cousins form a group at mealtime?
(a) To stay warm.
(b) To get more bowls of soup.
(c) To share the food equally.
(d) To prevent other prisoners stealing their clothes.
3. The night before they are to leave for work camp, what is Elli's final image of her father?
(a) Him kissing her goodbye.
(b) Only the shape of him riding away.
(c) Him patting Bubi.
(d) Laura hugging him.
4. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
(a) She is too upset about Bubi.
(b) Schools would not give Jewish children diplomas.
(c) All schools are closed.
(d) The guards would not let her walk in public.
5. Where does Jancsi want to meet Elli?
(a) The library.
(b) The synagogue.
(c) A deli.
(d) His home.
6. When Elli sees her reflection on June 3, what is her reaction?
(a) She is pleasently surprised.
(b) "That isn't so bad."
(c) She is shocked.
(d) "I look like a man."
7. How does Elli feel as she travels away from Auschwitz?
8. What does Aunt Celia do on June 9 and 10?
(a) Takes more blankets.
(b) Beats a guard.
(c) Trades places with another woman.
(d) Steals food from the kitchen.
9. What are the overall living conditions in "The Ghetto" for Jewish families?
(a) They are comfortable and happy.
(b) They know no one, and the place is filthy.
(c) They are under heavy guard with limited space.
(d) The families steal from each to survive.
10. How does Bubi manage to return from Budapest after the story breaks in the papers?
(a) Bubi's father gets him.
(b) Another father from the town helps Bubi.
(c) Bubi returns on his own.
(d) Bubi doesn't return.
11. How does Elli handle being forced to wear the yellow star?
(a) She cries when she goes outside.
(b) She covers it.
(c) She refuses to go out.
(d) She wears it with pride.
12. As the guards order women to take their blankets inside, what do they do to the women?
(a) Steal their food.
(b) Hit them on the head.
(c) Shoot at them.
(d) Slap their wrists.
13. What does a young girl do during a riot?
(a) Throws tables over.
(b) Beats her fists at a guard.
(c) Screams that someone is killing her mother.
(d) Breaks down a door.
14. What purpose does the river in town often serve?
(a) Watering herds of animals.
(b) Fish, for food.
(c) Washing laundry.
(d) A tourist attraction.
15. At the start of the book, why do the Hungarian police bother Elli's family?
(a) The police know that Bubi is smart.
(b) The police do not like Elli's father.
(c) The police know the family has hidden money.
(d) The police have complete control over the Jewish population.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Laura's reaction about Aunt Serene's orders to go to a side different from Laura's during selection?
2. Elli thinks her mother's favorite child is _______________.
3. What does Elli's father show her in the basement?
4. After their showers at Auschwitz, what do Elli and her mother desperately want?
5. What bothers Elli the most concerning her surrendered possession?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)