|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What place does Elli describe as "the most notorious forced labor camp in Poland"?
2. What do Elli and Laura first notice about "The Ghetto"?
(a) No one else obeys orders.
(b) Everyone is crying.
(c) Hundreds of people are crammed into a small area.
(d) The place is empty except for guards.
3. How does Bubbi's father react when he sees the story later in the papers?
(a) He calls Bubi at school.
(b) He writes the paper a letter.
(c) He considers going to Budapest in search of Bubi.
(d) He doesn't believe the paper.
4. What does the town crier announce concerning Jews and socialization?
(a) Jews are not allowed to socialize at all with Christians.
(b) Jews are not allowed to look at anyone.
(c) Jews are not allowed to talk about Christians.
(d) Jews are not allowed to speak to anyone.
5. What future plans does Elli have for Budapest?
(a) To attend medical school there.
(b) To do research there.
(c) To live there while she attends seminary.
(d) To marry there.
6. What does Aunt Serena do with dishes before leaving on May 2?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Smashes them.
(c) Buries them.
(d) Gives them away.
7. How does Elli work in school?
(a) She makes good grades easily.
(b) She is incredibly ambitious.
(c) She is sloppy in her work.
(d) She does not concentrate well.
8. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
(a) She is too upset about Bubi.
(b) The guards would not let her walk in public.
(c) All schools are closed.
(d) Schools would not give Jewish children diplomas.
9. For what are the women punished at Auschwitz?
(b) Talking to guards.
(c) Not cleaning their rooms enough.
(d) Sleeping too much.
10. What does a young girl do during a riot?
(a) Screams that someone is killing her mother.
(b) Beats her fists at a guard.
(c) Breaks down a door.
(d) Throws tables over.
11. On what does Elli's poetry focus?
(a) The darker sides of life.
(b) Hard work.
(c) Flowers and nature.
12. What does Elli do with her poetry journal when she sees a young mother denied possession of a single photo?
(a) Hides it.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Places it under her shirt.
(d) Puts it between layers of bedding.
13. After finding their cousins, where are Laura and Elli directed?
(a) To the soup kitchen.
(b) To a "bed."
(c) To the infirmary.
(d) To a "lake."
14. The night before they are to leave for work camp, what is Elli's final image of her father?
(a) Him kissing her goodbye.
(b) Him patting Bubi.
(c) Laura hugging him.
(d) Only the shape of him riding away.
15. What story does Bubbi tell his family in the middle of the night?
(a) The war ending.
(b) Hungarian police leaving their town.
(c) Hitler coming to their town.
(d) Nazi soldiers in Budapest.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Elli to arrive at Auschwitz?
2. After a guard takes the young girl during the riot, what do the females hear?
3. Where do Bonnie and Elli go to swim?
4. Where does Jancsi want to meet Elli?
5. How does Elli's planned meeting with Jansci occur?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)