|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the women are driven into a room at Auschwitz, what happens to them?
(a) Bathed by cruel guards.
(b) Forced at gunpoint to strip and are shaven.
(c) Given a bed and towel.
(d) Beaten to strip.
2. Why do Elli, her mother, aunt, and two cousins form a group at mealtime?
(a) To get more bowls of soup.
(b) To prevent other prisoners stealing their clothes.
(c) To share the food equally.
(d) To stay warm.
3. During selection, what warning does Elli receive?
(a) To keep her nails clean.
(b) To dye her hair blonder.
(c) To say she is sixteen.
(d) To steal food.
4. What is the penalty for Christians who socialize with Jews?
(b) Loss of job.
(c) Suspended licenses.
5. For what does Old Mr. Stern pray?
(a) Safety for children.
(b) Courage and bravery for the men.
(c) Everyone's safe return.
(d) The long road that lies ahead.
6. When the guards force the women outside for roll call, what does Elli wish she had thought about earlier?
(a) Bringing a blanket.
(b) Keeping her food.
(c) Wearing her shoes.
(d) Taking a hat.
7. What are Elli's family living quarters in "The Ghetto"?
(a) They live in a synogogue.
(b) They have a tent.
(c) They share a home with two families.
(d) They have a small three-room house.
8. When Elli and Laura arrive at the waiting cart for Nagymagar, why are the soldiers angry?
(a) Two Jewish females remain free in an Aryan town.
(b) The Jews are loud and angry.
(c) One Jewish family brought too many belongings.
(d) The firewood will not remain situated.
9. Why does a girl have blood running down her leg?
(a) She started her period.
(b) A guard shot her.
(c) She cut her leg.
(d) She hurt herself at work.
10. What are the overall living conditions in "The Ghetto" for Jewish families?
(a) They know no one, and the place is filthy.
(b) The families steal from each to survive.
(c) They are comfortable and happy.
(d) They are under heavy guard with limited space.
11. Under what conditions does Elli leave her school?
(a) With a graduation party.
(b) With her classmates crying.
(c) With little notice.
(d) With taunts referring to her Jewish background.
12. What does Elli learn from the town crier?
(a) Jews are not to speak to Christians.
(b) Jews are not to shop at the grocery market.
(c) All Jews are to stay inside during the day.
(d) All Jews are to wear a yellow cloth star.
13. Where does Elli finally place her poetry journal before leaving for the work camps?
(a) Buries it in the synogogue.
(b) Gives it to Pista Szivos.
(c) Puts it in a trash can.
(d) Leaves it on her bed.
14. What purpose does the river in town often serve?
(a) Washing laundry.
(b) Fish, for food.
(c) Watering herds of animals.
(d) A tourist attraction.
15. What surrendered possession bothers Elli the most?
(a) A yellow Schwinn.
(b) A grammar book.
(c) A gold locket.
(d) A radio.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
2. Who is head of the barracks and inmates at Auschwitz?
3. Where do Laura and Elli visit before they traveled to Nagymagyar?
4. How does Bubbi's father react when he sees the story later in the papers?
5. How does Bubi react to the news from the town crier?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)