|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the women are driven into a room at Auschwitz, what happens to them?
(a) Forced at gunpoint to strip and are shaven.
(b) Bathed by cruel guards.
(c) Beaten to strip.
(d) Given a bed and towel.
2. What does Elli learn from the town crier?
(a) All Jews are to stay inside during the day.
(b) All Jews are to wear a yellow cloth star.
(c) Jews are not to speak to Christians.
(d) Jews are not to shop at the grocery market.
3. What surrendered possession bothers Elli the most?
(a) A gold locket.
(b) A yellow Schwinn.
(c) A radio.
(d) A grammar book.
4. How does Elli feel as she travels away from Auschwitz?
5. What is the setting as the story opens?
(b) The town of Somorja in 1943.
(c) The past, in the ghetto.
(d) Elli's school in 1945.
6. During selection, to what side do the guards send Aunt Serene?
(a) Back to the cattle cars.
(b) To the right.
(c) To the left.
(d) To a factory.
7. What does Aunt Celia do on June 9 and 10?
(a) Beats a guard.
(b) Steals food from the kitchen.
(c) Takes more blankets.
(d) Trades places with another woman.
8. Under what conditions does Elli leave her school?
(a) With a graduation party.
(b) With her classmates crying.
(c) With taunts referring to her Jewish background.
(d) With little notice.
9. What bothers Elli the most concerning her surrendered possession?
(a) She knew it was expensive.
(b) She had hope for a future from it.
(c) She saw a lack of communication with others.
(d) She never rode it.
10. Why does a girl have blood running down her leg?
(a) She started her period.
(b) She hurt herself at work.
(c) A guard shot her.
(d) She cut her leg.
11. For what does Old Mr. Stern pray?
(a) Everyone's safe return.
(b) Safety for children.
(c) Courage and bravery for the men.
(d) The long road that lies ahead.
12. What are Elli's family living quarters in "The Ghetto"?
(a) They have a small three-room house.
(b) They share a home with two families.
(c) They have a tent.
(d) They live in a synogogue.
13. What does the town crier announce as forbidden access for Jews?
(d) Public buildings.
14. What does Elli do with her poetry journal when she sees a young mother denied possession of a single photo?
(a) Places it under her shirt.
(b) Puts it between layers of bedding.
(c) Hides it.
(d) Burns it.
15. Who largely packs for Nagymagyar?
(a) Aunt Serena.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of the book, how does Elli spend her days?
2. How do many families cook in "The Ghetto"?
3. Where does Jancsi want to meet Elli?
4. Why does Elli's father think ambition is a desirable trait?
5. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura's father spend time doing?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)