|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Bubi leaves his mother at Auschwitz, what does she see?
(a) A SS guard knocks him down.
(b) Bubi is starting to cry.
(c) Bubi takes off his shoes.
(d) Another prisoner takes his food.
2. At Auschwitz, what clothes do the women receive?
(a) Gray dresses and shoes.
(b) Cotton shirts and pants.
(c) Their old clothing.
(d) Mismatched clothes from dead prisoners.
3. What purpose does the river in town often serve?
(a) Washing laundry.
(b) Watering herds of animals.
(c) Fish, for food.
(d) A tourist attraction.
4. How does Elli work in school?
(a) She does not concentrate well.
(b) She is sloppy in her work.
(c) She makes good grades easily.
(d) She is incredibly ambitious.
5. For what are the women punished at Auschwitz?
(a) Sleeping too much.
(b) Not cleaning their rooms enough.
(d) Talking to guards.
6. Under what conditions does Elli leave her school?
(a) With little notice.
(b) With her classmates crying.
(c) With taunts referring to her Jewish background.
(d) With a graduation party.
7. At the start of the book, how does Elli spend her days?
(a) In typical pursuits of young girls of her age.
(b) Sitting at home with her mother.
(c) Reading and writing for school.
(d) Helping her father at the restaurant.
8. Elli thinks her mother's favorite child is _______________.
9. When Elli and Laura arrive at the waiting cart for Nagymagar, why are the soldiers angry?
(a) One Jewish family brought too many belongings.
(b) Two Jewish females remain free in an Aryan town.
(c) The Jews are loud and angry.
(d) The firewood will not remain situated.
10. How does Elli's planned meeting with Jansci occur?
(a) They have nothing to talk about.
(b) It goes well.
(c) It never occurrs.
(d) They are very nervous.
11. How does Elli's father react to Bubi's story from the middle of the night?
(a) Bubi's father ignores him.
(b) Bubi's father cries.
(c) Bubi's father keeps him at home.
(d) Bubi's father makes plans.
12. What are Suri and Hindi doing on June 9 and 10?
(a) Searching for girls to trade places.
(b) Stealing warm clothes.
(c) Hiding their mother.
(d) Tricking a guard.
13. Where are many families sleeping in "The Ghetto"?
(a) In tents.
(b) Abandonded buildings.
(c) The synagogue.
14. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura pack for their trip?
(a) Extra shoes and socks.
(b) Reading materials.
(c) Food and other supplies.
(d) Shirts and warm pants.
15. At the start of the book, why do the Hungarian police bother Elli's family?
(a) The police have complete control over the Jewish population.
(b) The police know that Bubi is smart.
(c) The police know the family has hidden money.
(d) The police do not like Elli's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the aunt and cousins say about Elli and her mother's reaction to their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
2. What is each family supposed to take to Nagymagyar?
3. What future plans does Elli have for Budapest?
4. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
5. How do other boys react to Bubi's attitude concerning his yellow star?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)