Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After finding their cousins, where are Laura and Elli directed?
(a) To the soup kitchen.
(b) To the infirmary.
(c) To a "lake."
(d) To a "bed."
2. How old is Elli as the story opens?
3. Where do Bonnie and Elli go to swim?
(a) A neighbor's pool.
(b) The town pool.
(c) The Danube.
(d) An ocean.
4. When Elli returns to her school, what award does she learn she received?
(a) She did not receive an award.
(b) First place.
(c) Honor Scroll.
(d) Honorable Mention.
5. As she leaves town, how does Elli ride?
(a) So the soldiers can't see her cry.
(b) With her back away from her house.
(c) With her eyes closed.
(d) So she can see her home.
6. What does the town crier announce as forbidden access for Jews?
(a) Public buildings.
7. After their showers at Auschwitz, what do Elli and her mother desperately want?
8. What do Marta Kalman and her mother bring Elli?
(a) Chicken, eggs, and cornbread.
(b) Flour, duck, and lettuce.
(c) Salad and dressing.
(d) Flour, a goose, and eggs.
9. What does Elli learn from the town crier?
(a) All Jews are to wear a yellow cloth star.
(b) Jews are not to shop at the grocery market.
(c) All Jews are to stay inside during the day.
(d) Jews are not to speak to Christians.
10. Why do Elli, her mother, aunt, and two cousins form a group at mealtime?
(a) To get more bowls of soup.
(b) To share the food equally.
(c) To prevent other prisoners stealing their clothes.
(d) To stay warm.
11. As Bubi leaves his mother at Auschwitz, what does she see?
(a) Bubi takes off his shoes.
(b) Another prisoner takes his food.
(c) Bubi is starting to cry.
(d) A SS guard knocks him down.
12. On what does Elli's poetry focus?
(a) Hard work.
(c) Flowers and nature.
(d) The darker sides of life.
13. How do Laura and Elli plan to travel to Nagymagyar?
(a) On a big train.
(b) In a car.
(c) On a horse.
(d) On the final cart.
14. For what does Old Mr. Stern pray?
(a) Safety for children.
(b) Courage and bravery for the men.
(c) The long road that lies ahead.
(d) Everyone's safe return.
15. What does Aunt Serena do with dishes before leaving on May 2?
(a) Gives them away.
(b) Burns them.
(c) Buries them.
(d) Smashes them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
2. How do other boys react to Bubi's attitude concerning his yellow star?
3. Where do Laura and Elli visit before they traveled to Nagymagyar?
4. What does Elli do with her poetry journal when she sees a young mother denied possession of a single photo?
5. Elli thinks her mother's favorite child is _______________.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)