|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jancsi want to meet Elli?
(a) A deli.
(b) The library.
(c) His home.
(d) The synagogue.
2. After their showers at Auschwitz, what do Elli and her mother desperately want?
3. How does Elli work in school?
(a) She is sloppy in her work.
(b) She does not concentrate well.
(c) She makes good grades easily.
(d) She is incredibly ambitious.
4. How does Elli handle being forced to wear the yellow star?
(a) She covers it.
(b) She cries when she goes outside.
(c) She refuses to go out.
(d) She wears it with pride.
5. Who is head of the barracks and inmates at Auschwitz?
(a) A large eighteen-year-old girl.
(b) A nun.
(c) A boy, passing himself off as a female.
(d) A nurse.
6. What are Elli's family living quarters in "The Ghetto"?
(a) They share a home with two families.
(b) They have a tent.
(c) They have a small three-room house.
(d) They live in a synogogue.
7. As a young girl screams, what do the female prisoners begin to smell?
8. How does Bubi react to the news from the town crier?
(a) Bubi speaks to Christians.
(b) Bubi goes out during the day.
(c) Bubi proudly creates a star.
(d) Bubi shops at the grocery market.
9. What does Elli do with her poetry journal when she sees a young mother denied possession of a single photo?
(a) Hides it.
(b) Puts it between layers of bedding.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Places it under her shirt.
10. After a guard takes the young girl during the riot, what do the females hear?
(a) Her tears.
(b) A shot.
(c) A train pulling away.
(d) Guards yelling.
11. Where does Elli finally place her poetry journal before leaving for the work camps?
(a) Puts it in a trash can.
(b) Buries it in the synogogue.
(c) Gives it to Pista Szivos.
(d) Leaves it on her bed.
12. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura pack for their trip?
(a) Reading materials.
(b) Shirts and warm pants.
(c) Food and other supplies.
(d) Extra shoes and socks.
13. What bothers Elli the most concerning her surrendered possession?
(a) She had hope for a future from it.
(b) She knew it was expensive.
(c) She never rode it.
(d) She saw a lack of communication with others.
14. What do the aunt and cousins say about Elli and her mother's reaction to their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
(a) To try eating more again.
(b) To throw it away.
(c) To send it back to the kitchen.
(d) To give it to them.
15. Elli thinks her mother's favorite child is _______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do soldiers order Elli to go to Nagymagyar?
2. What do Elli and her mother do with their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
3. What surrendered possession bothers Elli the most?
4. How do other boys react to Bubi's attitude concerning his yellow star?
5. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura's father spend time doing?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)