|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After a guard takes the young girl during the riot, what do the females hear?
(a) A shot.
(b) A train pulling away.
(c) Her tears.
(d) Guards yelling.
2. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura pack for their trip?
(a) Shirts and warm pants.
(b) Food and other supplies.
(c) Reading materials.
(d) Extra shoes and socks.
3. How was food distributed at Auschwitz?
(a) At the prisoners' beds.
(b) In brown bags.
(c) Only in the morning.
(d) A single portion to five people.
4. Who largely packs for Nagymagyar?
(a) Aunt Serena.
5. How long does it take Elli to arrive at Auschwitz?
(a) A week.
(b) Four nights.
(c) A few hours.
(d) Two days.
6. What does Elli's father show her in the basement?
(a) Where to keep her poetry and money.
(b) Where he buried the family's valuable jewelry.
(c) Where he hid her yellow bicycle.
(d) Where to hide from soldiers.
7. What do the aunt and cousins say about Elli and her mother's reaction to their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
(a) To send it back to the kitchen.
(b) To try eating more again.
(c) To throw it away.
(d) To give it to them.
8. What do the guards do with all the Jews' books, documents, and photos?
(a) Sort them into piles.
(b) Collect them.
(c) Put them in boxes.
9. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura's father spend time doing?
(a) Talking to his wife.
(b) Preparing food.
(c) Reading the Talmud.
(d) Resting his eyes.
10. What does Aunt Serena do with dishes before leaving on May 2?
(a) Smashes them.
(b) Buries them.
(c) Gives them away.
(d) Burns them.
11. How far is Nagymagyar from Elli's home?
(a) Nine kilometers.
(b) Fourteen kilometers.
(c) A nautical mile.
(d) A hundred millimeters.
12. What do Marta Kalman and her mother bring Elli?
(a) Flour, a goose, and eggs.
(b) Flour, duck, and lettuce.
(c) Chicken, eggs, and cornbread.
(d) Salad and dressing.
13. How does Elli handle being forced to wear the yellow star?
(a) She wears it with pride.
(b) She covers it.
(c) She cries when she goes outside.
(d) She refuses to go out.
14. What does a young girl do during a riot?
(a) Breaks down a door.
(b) Throws tables over.
(c) Screams that someone is killing her mother.
(d) Beats her fists at a guard.
15. Where does Elli finally place her poetry journal before leaving for the work camps?
(a) Buries it in the synogogue.
(b) Leaves it on her bed.
(c) Puts it in a trash can.
(d) Gives it to Pista Szivos.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Old Mr. Stern pray?
2. What does the town crier announce concerning Jews and socialization?
3. How does Bubi react to the news from the town crier?
4. What are Suri and Hindi doing on June 9 and 10?
5. As Bubi leaves his mother at Auschwitz, what does she see?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)