|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting as the story opens?
(b) Elli's school in 1945.
(c) The past, in the ghetto.
(d) The town of Somorja in 1943.
2. For what does Old Mr. Stern pray?
(a) Safety for children.
(b) Everyone's safe return.
(c) Courage and bravery for the men.
(d) The long road that lies ahead.
3. What happens to the women in the showers at Auschwitz?
(a) They are blasted with cold water.
(b) They are spashed with hot water.
(c) They are sprayed with poison.
(d) They are given soap.
4. What purpose does the river in town often serve?
(a) Watering herds of animals.
(b) Fish, for food.
(c) Washing laundry.
(d) A tourist attraction.
5. What does Elli's father show her in the basement?
(a) Where to hide from soldiers.
(b) Where he hid her yellow bicycle.
(c) Where he buried the family's valuable jewelry.
(d) Where to keep her poetry and money.
6. How does Laura demonstrate affection?
(a) Laura writes her children notes.
(b) Laura is not demonstrative with affection.
(c) Laura reads stories at night.
(d) Laura gives lots of hugs and kisses.
7. What do Marta Kalman and her mother bring Elli?
(a) Chicken, eggs, and cornbread.
(b) Salad and dressing.
(c) Flour, duck, and lettuce.
(d) Flour, a goose, and eggs.
8. Where does Jancsi want to meet Elli?
(a) The synagogue.
(b) His home.
(c) A deli.
(d) The library.
9. How do other boys react to Bubi's attitude concerning his yellow star?
(a) Other boys pick up Bubi's attitude.
(b) Other boys give Bubi money.
(c) Other boys shy away from Bubi.
(d) Other boys warn Bubi about his dangerous attitude.
10. After their showers at Auschwitz, what do Elli and her mother desperately want?
11. How does Elli's planned meeting with Jansci occur?
(a) They are very nervous.
(b) It goes well.
(c) It never occurrs.
(d) They have nothing to talk about.
12. When Elli and Laura arrive at the waiting cart for Nagymagar, why are the soldiers angry?
(a) The Jews are loud and angry.
(b) Two Jewish females remain free in an Aryan town.
(c) One Jewish family brought too many belongings.
(d) The firewood will not remain situated.
13. How does Elli's father react to Bubi's story from the middle of the night?
(a) Bubi's father cries.
(b) Bubi's father makes plans.
(c) Bubi's father keeps him at home.
(d) Bubi's father ignores him.
14. Who is head of the barracks and inmates at Auschwitz?
(a) A large eighteen-year-old girl.
(b) A nurse.
(c) A nun.
(d) A boy, passing himself off as a female.
15. Where does Elli finally place her poetry journal before leaving for the work camps?
(a) Gives it to Pista Szivos.
(b) Leaves it on her bed.
(c) Buries it in the synogogue.
(d) Puts it in a trash can.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Celia do on June 9 and 10?
2. During selection, to what side do the guards send Aunt Serene?
3. When Elli returns to her school, what award does she learn she received?
4. As a young girl screams, what do the female prisoners begin to smell?
5. Whom does Elli's family share a house with in "The Ghetto"?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)