|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Bubi leaves his mother at Auschwitz, what does she see?
(a) Another prisoner takes his food.
(b) A SS guard knocks him down.
(c) Bubi is starting to cry.
(d) Bubi takes off his shoes.
2. Where does Elli finally place her poetry journal before leaving for the work camps?
(a) Gives it to Pista Szivos.
(b) Puts it in a trash can.
(c) Leaves it on her bed.
(d) Buries it in the synogogue.
3. How does Elli's planned meeting with Jansci occur?
(a) They have nothing to talk about.
(b) It goes well.
(c) It never occurrs.
(d) They are very nervous.
4. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura's father spend time doing?
(a) Preparing food.
(b) Talking to his wife.
(c) Resting his eyes.
(d) Reading the Talmud.
5. When Elli sees her reflection on June 3, what is her reaction?
(a) "That isn't so bad."
(b) "I look like a man."
(c) She is pleasently surprised.
(d) She is shocked.
6. At the start of the book, why do the Hungarian police bother Elli's family?
(a) The police know that Bubi is smart.
(b) The police know the family has hidden money.
(c) The police do not like Elli's father.
(d) The police have complete control over the Jewish population.
7. What do Marta Kalman and her mother bring Elli?
(a) Flour, a goose, and eggs.
(b) Salad and dressing.
(c) Flour, duck, and lettuce.
(d) Chicken, eggs, and cornbread.
8. How was food distributed at Auschwitz?
(a) In brown bags.
(b) At the prisoners' beds.
(c) A single portion to five people.
(d) Only in the morning.
9. How old is Elli as the story opens?
10. What is Laura's reaction about Aunt Serene's orders to go to a side different from Laura's during selection?
(a) Laura chases after her sister.
(b) Laura hides behind Elli.
(c) Laura begs to go with her sister.
(d) Laura keeps quiet about her sister.
11. What does the town crier announce concerning Jews and socialization?
(a) Jews are not allowed to socialize at all with Christians.
(b) Jews are not allowed to speak to anyone.
(c) Jews are not allowed to talk about Christians.
(d) Jews are not allowed to look at anyone.
12. Under what conditions does Elli leave her school?
(a) With taunts referring to her Jewish background.
(b) With her classmates crying.
(c) With a graduation party.
(d) With little notice.
13. How does Bubi react to the news from the town crier?
(a) Bubi goes out during the day.
(b) Bubi speaks to Christians.
(c) Bubi shops at the grocery market.
(d) Bubi proudly creates a star.
14. What are Elli's family living quarters in "The Ghetto"?
(a) They live in a synogogue.
(b) They have a tent.
(c) They have a small three-room house.
(d) They share a home with two families.
15. What are Suri and Hindi doing on June 9 and 10?
(a) Tricking a guard.
(b) Searching for girls to trade places.
(c) Stealing warm clothes.
(d) Hiding their mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elli work in school?
2. What is the setting as the story opens?
3. What do the guards do with all the Jews' books, documents, and photos?
4. How do Laura and Elli plan to travel to Nagymagyar?
5. When Elli and Laura arrive at the waiting cart for Nagymagar, why are the soldiers angry?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)