|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During selection, what warning does Elli receive?
(a) To keep her nails clean.
(b) To steal food.
(c) To dye her hair blonder.
(d) To say she is sixteen.
2. For what are the women punished at Auschwitz?
(a) Not cleaning their rooms enough.
(c) Sleeping too much.
(d) Talking to guards.
3. When Elli sees her reflection on June 3, what is her reaction?
(a) "I look like a man."
(b) She is pleasently surprised.
(c) "That isn't so bad."
(d) She is shocked.
4. What does Aunt Serena do with dishes before leaving on May 2?
(a) Buries them.
(b) Burns them.
(c) Gives them away.
(d) Smashes them.
5. As a young girl screams, what do the female prisoners begin to smell?
6. What do the aunt and cousins say about Elli and her mother's reaction to their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
(a) To try eating more again.
(b) To give it to them.
(c) To throw it away.
(d) To send it back to the kitchen.
7. What future plans does Elli have for Budapest?
(a) To do research there.
(b) To attend medical school there.
(c) To marry there.
(d) To live there while she attends seminary.
8. How do Laura and Elli plan to travel to Nagymagyar?
(a) On the final cart.
(b) In a car.
(c) On a big train.
(d) On a horse.
9. At the start of the book, why do the Hungarian police bother Elli's family?
(a) The police do not like Elli's father.
(b) The police have complete control over the Jewish population.
(c) The police know that Bubi is smart.
(d) The police know the family has hidden money.
10. How do other boys react to Bubi's attitude concerning his yellow star?
(a) Other boys warn Bubi about his dangerous attitude.
(b) Other boys give Bubi money.
(c) Other boys pick up Bubi's attitude.
(d) Other boys shy away from Bubi.
11. What surrendered possession bothers Elli the most?
(a) A yellow Schwinn.
(b) A radio.
(c) A grammar book.
(d) A gold locket.
12. What are Suri and Hindi doing on June 9 and 10?
(a) Searching for girls to trade places.
(b) Tricking a guard.
(c) Stealing warm clothes.
(d) Hiding their mother.
13. After the women are driven into a room at Auschwitz, what happens to them?
(a) Beaten to strip.
(b) Forced at gunpoint to strip and are shaven.
(c) Given a bed and towel.
(d) Bathed by cruel guards.
14. What does a young girl do during a riot?
(a) Beats her fists at a guard.
(b) Screams that someone is killing her mother.
(c) Breaks down a door.
(d) Throws tables over.
15. Elli thinks her mother's favorite child is _______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the penalty for Christians who socialize with Jews?
2. Where are many families sleeping in "The Ghetto"?
3. What do the guards do with all the Jews' books, documents, and photos?
4. What happens on March 27?
5. The night before they are to leave for work camp, what is Elli's final image of her father?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)