|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Elli and her mother do with their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
(a) Throw it away.
(b) Give it to their cousins.
(d) They never receive it.
2. Why does Elli return to her school after the schools are closed?
(a) To clean the school.
(b) To say goodbye to everyone.
(c) To get her final report and diploma.
(d) To get her personal belongings.
3. On what does Elli's poetry focus?
(b) The darker sides of life.
(c) Hard work.
(d) Flowers and nature.
4. Why does Laura hate leaving her sister behind at Auschwitz?
(a) Celia suffers from diarrhea.
(b) Laura cared for Celia's children.
(c) Laura took care of Celia.
(d) Celia is weak minded.
5. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
(a) The guards would not let her walk in public.
(b) All schools are closed.
(c) Schools would not give Jewish children diplomas.
(d) She is too upset about Bubi.
6. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura pack for their trip?
(a) Extra shoes and socks.
(b) Shirts and warm pants.
(c) Reading materials.
(d) Food and other supplies.
7. For what does Old Mr. Stern pray?
(a) Courage and bravery for the men.
(b) Everyone's safe return.
(c) The long road that lies ahead.
(d) Safety for children.
8. How does Elli's planned meeting with Jansci occur?
(a) They have nothing to talk about.
(b) It never occurrs.
(c) It goes well.
(d) They are very nervous.
9. What are Elli's family living quarters in "The Ghetto"?
(a) They have a small three-room house.
(b) They share a home with two families.
(c) They have a tent.
(d) They live in a synogogue.
10. As Bubi leaves his mother at Auschwitz, what does she see?
(a) Bubi takes off his shoes.
(b) Another prisoner takes his food.
(c) Bubi is starting to cry.
(d) A SS guard knocks him down.
11. What is the setting as the story opens?
(a) Elli's school in 1945.
(b) The town of Somorja in 1943.
(d) The past, in the ghetto.
12. How long does it take Elli to arrive at Auschwitz?
(a) A few hours.
(b) Two days.
(c) Four nights.
(d) A week.
13. Who largely packs for Nagymagyar?
(c) Aunt Serena.
14. Why does Elli believe her mother slights her?
(a) Elli doesn't like Bubi.
(b) Elli is not pretty.
(c) Elli is too much like her father.
(d) Elli is not like Laura.
15. How old is Elli as the story opens?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a girl have blood running down her leg?
2. Where does Elli finally place her poetry journal before leaving for the work camps?
3. Where are many families sleeping in "The Ghetto"?
4. After their showers at Auschwitz, what do Elli and her mother desperately want?
5. How does Laura demonstrate affection?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)