|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bubi manage to return from Budapest after the story breaks in the papers?
(a) Bubi's father gets him.
(b) Bubi returns on his own.
(c) Another father from the town helps Bubi.
(d) Bubi doesn't return.
2. How was food distributed at Auschwitz?
(a) Only in the morning.
(b) At the prisoners' beds.
(c) A single portion to five people.
(d) In brown bags.
3. How does Bubi react to the news from the town crier?
(a) Bubi goes out during the day.
(b) Bubi shops at the grocery market.
(c) Bubi proudly creates a star.
(d) Bubi speaks to Christians.
4. How do Laura and Elli plan to travel to Nagymagyar?
(a) In a car.
(b) On a big train.
(c) On the final cart.
(d) On a horse.
5. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
(a) All schools are closed.
(b) She is too upset about Bubi.
(c) The guards would not let her walk in public.
(d) Schools would not give Jewish children diplomas.
6. How does Elli's father react to Bubi's story from the middle of the night?
(a) Bubi's father cries.
(b) Bubi's father makes plans.
(c) Bubi's father ignores him.
(d) Bubi's father keeps him at home.
7. What happens on March 27?
(a) Elli's father makes documents for each family member.
(b) Laura falls ill.
(c) Bubi comes home from Budapest.
(d) Guards order all Jewish residents to give up possessions of value.
8. What does a young girl do during a riot?
(a) Beats her fists at a guard.
(b) Throws tables over.
(c) Screams that someone is killing her mother.
(d) Breaks down a door.
9. On what does Elli's poetry focus?
(a) Hard work.
(b) The darker sides of life.
(d) Flowers and nature.
10. When Elli sees her reflection on June 3, what is her reaction?
(a) "That isn't so bad."
(b) She is pleasently surprised.
(c) "I look like a man."
(d) She is shocked.
11. What is the setting as the story opens?
(a) The town of Somorja in 1943.
(b) Elli's school in 1945.
(d) The past, in the ghetto.
12. What place does Elli describe as "the most notorious forced labor camp in Poland"?
13. Under what conditions does Elli leave her school?
(a) With a graduation party.
(b) With little notice.
(c) With taunts referring to her Jewish background.
(d) With her classmates crying.
14. Where do Laura and Elli visit before they traveled to Nagymagyar?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The school.
(c) The synogogue.
(d) The river.
15. After the women are driven into a room at Auschwitz, what happens to them?
(a) Forced at gunpoint to strip and are shaven.
(b) Bathed by cruel guards.
(c) Given a bed and towel.
(d) Beaten to strip.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the aunt and cousins say about Elli and her mother's reaction to their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
2. What is each family supposed to take to Nagymagyar?
3. When Elli returns to her school, what award does she learn she received?
4. As she leaves town, how does Elli ride?
5. Elli thinks her mother's favorite child is _______________.
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)