|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Elli's family share a house with in "The Ghetto"?
2. Where does Jancsi want to meet Elli?
(a) His home.
(b) The synagogue.
(c) The library.
(d) A deli.
3. How does Bubbi's father react when he sees the story later in the papers?
(a) He doesn't believe the paper.
(b) He writes the paper a letter.
(c) He calls Bubi at school.
(d) He considers going to Budapest in search of Bubi.
4. During selection, what warning does Elli receive?
(a) To steal food.
(b) To keep her nails clean.
(c) To say she is sixteen.
(d) To dye her hair blonder.
5. How does Elli work in school?
(a) She is incredibly ambitious.
(b) She does not concentrate well.
(c) She makes good grades easily.
(d) She is sloppy in her work.
6. How does Bubbi attain good grades in school?
(a) He constantly studies.
(b) He doesn't study.
(c) He doesn't make good grades.
(d) He does extra work.
7. Under what conditions does Elli leave her school?
(a) With little notice.
(b) With taunts referring to her Jewish background.
(c) With her classmates crying.
(d) With a graduation party.
8. At Auschwitz, what clothes do the women receive?
(a) Cotton shirts and pants.
(b) Mismatched clothes from dead prisoners.
(c) Their old clothing.
(d) Gray dresses and shoes.
9. What do Marta Kalman and her mother bring Elli?
(a) Flour, a goose, and eggs.
(b) Salad and dressing.
(c) Flour, duck, and lettuce.
(d) Chicken, eggs, and cornbread.
10. Why does Elli return to her school after the schools are closed?
(a) To get her personal belongings.
(b) To clean the school.
(c) To say goodbye to everyone.
(d) To get her final report and diploma.
11. What are Suri and Hindi doing on June 9 and 10?
(a) Stealing warm clothes.
(b) Tricking a guard.
(c) Hiding their mother.
(d) Searching for girls to trade places.
12. What does the town crier announce concerning Jews and socialization?
(a) Jews are not allowed to talk about Christians.
(b) Jews are not allowed to socialize at all with Christians.
(c) Jews are not allowed to look at anyone.
(d) Jews are not allowed to speak to anyone.
13. As the guards order women to take their blankets inside, what do they do to the women?
(a) Hit them on the head.
(b) Slap their wrists.
(c) Shoot at them.
(d) Steal their food.
14. When Elli sees her reflection on June 3, what is her reaction?
(a) She is shocked.
(b) "That isn't so bad."
(c) She is pleasently surprised.
(d) "I look like a man."
15. How old is Elli as the story opens?
Short Answer Questions
1. What future plans does Elli have for Budapest?
2. When Elli returns to her school, what award does she learn she received?
3. What does Aunt Serena do with dishes before leaving on May 2?
4. What surrendered possession bothers Elli the most?
5. What does a young girl do during a riot?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)