|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are many families sleeping in "The Ghetto"?
(a) The synagogue.
(b) Abandonded buildings.
(c) In tents.
2. What are Suri and Hindi doing on June 9 and 10?
(a) Tricking a guard.
(b) Searching for girls to trade places.
(c) Stealing warm clothes.
(d) Hiding their mother.
3. After their showers at Auschwitz, what do Elli and her mother desperately want?
4. How does Elli handle being forced to wear the yellow star?
(a) She covers it.
(b) She wears it with pride.
(c) She refuses to go out.
(d) She cries when she goes outside.
5. For what are the women punished at Auschwitz?
(a) Talking to guards.
(b) Not cleaning their rooms enough.
(c) Sleeping too much.
6. Where does Jancsi want to meet Elli?
(a) His home.
(b) The library.
(c) A deli.
(d) The synagogue.
7. What future plans does Elli have for Budapest?
(a) To do research there.
(b) To marry there.
(c) To live there while she attends seminary.
(d) To attend medical school there.
8. What does Elli's father show her in the basement?
(a) Where to hide from soldiers.
(b) Where he buried the family's valuable jewelry.
(c) Where he hid her yellow bicycle.
(d) Where to keep her poetry and money.
9. Where does Elli finally place her poetry journal before leaving for the work camps?
(a) Puts it in a trash can.
(b) Buries it in the synogogue.
(c) Gives it to Pista Szivos.
(d) Leaves it on her bed.
10. What are Elli's family living quarters in "The Ghetto"?
(a) They have a tent.
(b) They have a small three-room house.
(c) They live in a synogogue.
(d) They share a home with two families.
11. How do Laura and Elli plan to travel to Nagymagyar?
(a) On a big train.
(b) In a car.
(c) On a horse.
(d) On the final cart.
12. Where do Bonnie and Elli go to swim?
(a) The Danube.
(b) The town pool.
(c) A neighbor's pool.
(d) An ocean.
13. How does Elli's father react to Bubi's story from the middle of the night?
(a) Bubi's father cries.
(b) Bubi's father keeps him at home.
(c) Bubi's father makes plans.
(d) Bubi's father ignores him.
14. Who is head of the barracks and inmates at Auschwitz?
(a) A large eighteen-year-old girl.
(b) A nurse.
(c) A nun.
(d) A boy, passing himself off as a female.
15. During selection, what warning does Elli receive?
(a) To keep her nails clean.
(b) To say she is sixteen.
(c) To dye her hair blonder.
(d) To steal food.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bubbi attain good grades in school?
2. What story does Bubbi tell his family in the middle of the night?
3. At the start of the book, why do the Hungarian police bother Elli's family?
4. The night before they are to leave for work camp, what is Elli's final image of her father?
5. When Elli and Laura arrive at the waiting cart for Nagymagar, why are the soldiers angry?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)