|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Laura demonstrate affection?
(a) Laura reads stories at night.
(b) Laura writes her children notes.
(c) Laura is not demonstrative with affection.
(d) Laura gives lots of hugs and kisses.
2. How old is Elli as the story opens?
3. How does Elli work in school?
(a) She is incredibly ambitious.
(b) She makes good grades easily.
(c) She is sloppy in her work.
(d) She does not concentrate well.
4. For what does Old Mr. Stern pray?
(a) Courage and bravery for the men.
(b) The long road that lies ahead.
(c) Everyone's safe return.
(d) Safety for children.
5. What are the overall living conditions in "The Ghetto" for Jewish families?
(a) The families steal from each to survive.
(b) They are under heavy guard with limited space.
(c) They are comfortable and happy.
(d) They know no one, and the place is filthy.
6. Whom does Elli's family share a house with in "The Ghetto"?
7. What do the aunt and cousins say about Elli and her mother's reaction to their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
(a) To try eating more again.
(b) To give it to them.
(c) To throw it away.
(d) To send it back to the kitchen.
8. How does Elli feel as she travels away from Auschwitz?
9. How do Laura and Elli plan to travel to Nagymagyar?
(a) On a horse.
(b) In a car.
(c) On the final cart.
(d) On a big train.
10. What story does Bubbi tell his family in the middle of the night?
(a) Hitler coming to their town.
(b) Nazi soldiers in Budapest.
(c) Hungarian police leaving their town.
(d) The war ending.
11. What are Suri and Hindi doing on June 9 and 10?
(a) Tricking a guard.
(b) Hiding their mother.
(c) Stealing warm clothes.
(d) Searching for girls to trade places.
12. Why do soldiers order Elli to go to Nagymagyar?
(a) For better schooling.
(b) To find Bubi.
(c) To live with relatives.
(d) For relocation.
13. Where does Jancsi want to meet Elli?
(a) The library.
(b) A deli.
(c) His home.
(d) The synagogue.
14. Why does Elli believe her mother slights her?
(a) Elli is not like Laura.
(b) Elli is not pretty.
(c) Elli doesn't like Bubi.
(d) Elli is too much like her father.
15. On what does Elli's poetry focus?
(a) Hard work.
(c) The darker sides of life.
(d) Flowers and nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elli learn from the town crier?
2. Where does Elli finally place her poetry journal before leaving for the work camps?
3. At Auschwitz, what clothes do the women receive?
4. What surrendered possession bothers Elli the most?
5. For what are the women punished at Auschwitz?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)