|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Pinhas?
(a) A boy who helps Elli's family.
(b) A kind guard in the ghetto.
(c) A boy who likes Elli.
(d) A popular cook in the ghetto.
2. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura's father spend time doing?
(a) Preparing food.
(b) Reading the Talmud.
(c) Talking to his wife.
(d) Resting his eyes.
3. During selection, what warning does Elli receive?
(a) To steal food.
(b) To say she is sixteen.
(c) To keep her nails clean.
(d) To dye her hair blonder.
4. Where does Jancsi want to meet Elli?
(a) His home.
(b) A deli.
(c) The synagogue.
(d) The library.
5. What do Elli and Laura do on June 9 and 10?
(a) March away from Auschwitz.
(b) Clean cattle cars.
(c) Take blankets.
(d) Begin work in the kitchen.
6. After finding their cousins, where are Laura and Elli directed?
(a) To a "bed."
(b) To a "lake."
(c) To the infirmary.
(d) To the soup kitchen.
7. Where are many families sleeping in "The Ghetto"?
(a) In tents.
(b) Abandonded buildings.
(d) The synagogue.
8. How do Laura and Elli plan to travel to Nagymagyar?
(a) On a big train.
(b) On a horse.
(c) On the final cart.
(d) In a car.
9. Where does Elli finally place her poetry journal before leaving for the work camps?
(a) Leaves it on her bed.
(b) Puts it in a trash can.
(c) Buries it in the synogogue.
(d) Gives it to Pista Szivos.
10. How does Bubi react to the news from the town crier?
(a) Bubi speaks to Christians.
(b) Bubi shops at the grocery market.
(c) Bubi goes out during the day.
(d) Bubi proudly creates a star.
11. Where do Laura and Elli visit before they traveled to Nagymagyar?
(a) The school.
(b) The synogogue.
(c) The river.
(d) The cemetery.
12. At Auschwitz, what clothes do the women receive?
(a) Cotton shirts and pants.
(b) Their old clothing.
(c) Gray dresses and shoes.
(d) Mismatched clothes from dead prisoners.
13. How old is Elli as the story opens?
14. What bothers Elli the most concerning her surrendered possession?
(a) She saw a lack of communication with others.
(b) She knew it was expensive.
(c) She never rode it.
(d) She had hope for a future from it.
15. What does Elli do with her poetry journal when she sees a young mother denied possession of a single photo?
(a) Hides it.
(b) Puts it between layers of bedding.
(c) Places it under her shirt.
(d) Burns it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a girl have blood running down her leg?
2. Why do soldiers order Elli to go to Nagymagyar?
3. What are Elli's family living quarters in "The Ghetto"?
4. After a guard takes the young girl during the riot, what do the females hear?
5. As the guards order women to take their blankets inside, what do they do to the women?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)