|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After their showers at Auschwitz, what do Elli and her mother desperately want?
2. What story does Bubbi tell his family in the middle of the night?
(a) The war ending.
(b) Hitler coming to their town.
(c) Nazi soldiers in Budapest.
(d) Hungarian police leaving their town.
3. How does Bubbi attain good grades in school?
(a) He constantly studies.
(b) He doesn't make good grades.
(c) He doesn't study.
(d) He does extra work.
4. As a young girl screams, what do the female prisoners begin to smell?
5. For what are the women punished at Auschwitz?
(b) Talking to guards.
(c) Sleeping too much.
(d) Not cleaning their rooms enough.
6. Elli thinks her mother's favorite child is _______________.
7. What is Laura's reaction about Aunt Serene's orders to go to a side different from Laura's during selection?
(a) Laura keeps quiet about her sister.
(b) Laura begs to go with her sister.
(c) Laura hides behind Elli.
(d) Laura chases after her sister.
8. Where do Laura and Elli visit before they traveled to Nagymagyar?
(a) The school.
(b) The cemetery.
(c) The synogogue.
(d) The river.
9. How does Elli handle being forced to wear the yellow star?
(a) She refuses to go out.
(b) She covers it.
(c) She wears it with pride.
(d) She cries when she goes outside.
10. What is each family supposed to take to Nagymagyar?
(a) A bag of clothes.
(c) One room of furniture.
(d) Only what they could carry.
11. What does the town crier announce concerning Jews and socialization?
(a) Jews are not allowed to look at anyone.
(b) Jews are not allowed to talk about Christians.
(c) Jews are not allowed to socialize at all with Christians.
(d) Jews are not allowed to speak to anyone.
12. When Elli returns to her school, what award does she learn she received?
(a) Honor Scroll.
(b) Honorable Mention.
(c) First place.
(d) She did not receive an award.
13. How does Laura demonstrate affection?
(a) Laura writes her children notes.
(b) Laura gives lots of hugs and kisses.
(c) Laura reads stories at night.
(d) Laura is not demonstrative with affection.
14. What do Elli and Laura first notice about "The Ghetto"?
(a) No one else obeys orders.
(b) Everyone is crying.
(c) Hundreds of people are crammed into a small area.
(d) The place is empty except for guards.
15. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura's father spend time doing?
(a) Talking to his wife.
(b) Resting his eyes.
(c) Preparing food.
(d) Reading the Talmud.
Short Answer Questions
1. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura pack for their trip?
2. What do Elli and Laura do on June 9 and 10?
3. Why had the woman in charge of the barracks paid a horrible price for her survival?
4. After finding their cousins, where are Laura and Elli directed?
5. What purpose does the river in town often serve?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)