|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the overall living conditions in "The Ghetto" for Jewish families?
(a) They are comfortable and happy.
(b) The families steal from each to survive.
(c) They know no one, and the place is filthy.
(d) They are under heavy guard with limited space.
2. What does the town crier announce concerning Jews and socialization?
(a) Jews are not allowed to look at anyone.
(b) Jews are not allowed to socialize at all with Christians.
(c) Jews are not allowed to talk about Christians.
(d) Jews are not allowed to speak to anyone.
3. What is Laura's reaction about Aunt Serene's orders to go to a side different from Laura's during selection?
(a) Laura keeps quiet about her sister.
(b) Laura begs to go with her sister.
(c) Laura hides behind Elli.
(d) Laura chases after her sister.
4. How does Bubbi attain good grades in school?
(a) He does extra work.
(b) He constantly studies.
(c) He doesn't study.
(d) He doesn't make good grades.
5. How does Bubbi's father react when he sees the story later in the papers?
(a) He doesn't believe the paper.
(b) He calls Bubi at school.
(c) He writes the paper a letter.
(d) He considers going to Budapest in search of Bubi.
6. As Bubi leaves his mother at Auschwitz, what does she see?
(a) Bubi takes off his shoes.
(b) A SS guard knocks him down.
(c) Another prisoner takes his food.
(d) Bubi is starting to cry.
7. How does Bubi react to the news from the town crier?
(a) Bubi shops at the grocery market.
(b) Bubi speaks to Christians.
(c) Bubi goes out during the day.
(d) Bubi proudly creates a star.
8. During selection, to what side do the guards send Aunt Serene?
(a) To the left.
(b) To a factory.
(c) To the right.
(d) Back to the cattle cars.
9. What happens on March 27?
(a) Laura falls ill.
(b) Guards order all Jewish residents to give up possessions of value.
(c) Bubi comes home from Budapest.
(d) Elli's father makes documents for each family member.
10. Where are many families sleeping in "The Ghetto"?
(a) In tents.
(c) The synagogue.
(d) Abandonded buildings.
11. Who is Pinhas?
(a) A boy who helps Elli's family.
(b) A kind guard in the ghetto.
(c) A popular cook in the ghetto.
(d) A boy who likes Elli.
12. What future plans does Elli have for Budapest?
(a) To live there while she attends seminary.
(b) To marry there.
(c) To attend medical school there.
(d) To do research there.
13. What bothers Elli the most concerning her surrendered possession?
(a) She never rode it.
(b) She saw a lack of communication with others.
(c) She had hope for a future from it.
(d) She knew it was expensive.
14. When the guards force the women outside for roll call, what does Elli wish she had thought about earlier?
(a) Wearing her shoes.
(b) Keeping her food.
(c) Bringing a blanket.
(d) Taking a hat.
15. What orders does the family receive on May 20 in regard to traveling?
(a) To take only what they can carry.
(b) To wear extra clothing.
(c) To bring only food.
(d) To take nothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the guards order women to take their blankets inside, what do they do to the women?
2. How long does it take Elli to arrive at Auschwitz?
3. What are Elli's family living quarters in "The Ghetto"?
4. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
5. What story does Bubbi tell his family in the middle of the night?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)