|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what are the women punished at Auschwitz?
(a) Talking to guards.
(b) Not cleaning their rooms enough.
(c) Sleeping too much.
2. What does a young girl do during a riot?
(a) Beats her fists at a guard.
(b) Breaks down a door.
(c) Screams that someone is killing her mother.
(d) Throws tables over.
3. What is the penalty for Christians who socialize with Jews?
(a) Suspended licenses.
(c) Loss of job.
4. Under what conditions does Elli leave her school?
(a) With a graduation party.
(b) With taunts referring to her Jewish background.
(c) With her classmates crying.
(d) With little notice.
5. When Elli returns to her school, what award does she learn she received?
(a) Honorable Mention.
(b) She did not receive an award.
(c) Honor Scroll.
(d) First place.
6. How do many families cook in "The Ghetto"?
(a) In an oven.
(b) With a grill.
(c) They did not cook.
(d) Over an open fire.
7. The night before they are to leave for work camp, what is Elli's final image of her father?
(a) Laura hugging him.
(b) Only the shape of him riding away.
(c) Him patting Bubi.
(d) Him kissing her goodbye.
8. After finding their cousins, where are Laura and Elli directed?
(a) To the soup kitchen.
(b) To a "bed."
(c) To the infirmary.
(d) To a "lake."
9. What does Aunt Celia do on June 9 and 10?
(a) Takes more blankets.
(b) Beats a guard.
(c) Trades places with another woman.
(d) Steals food from the kitchen.
10. At the start of the book, how does Elli spend her days?
(a) Reading and writing for school.
(b) Helping her father at the restaurant.
(c) In typical pursuits of young girls of her age.
(d) Sitting at home with her mother.
11. What do Elli and Laura first notice about "The Ghetto"?
(a) No one else obeys orders.
(b) Hundreds of people are crammed into a small area.
(c) Everyone is crying.
(d) The place is empty except for guards.
12. When Elli and Laura arrive at the waiting cart for Nagymagar, why are the soldiers angry?
(a) One Jewish family brought too many belongings.
(b) The Jews are loud and angry.
(c) The firewood will not remain situated.
(d) Two Jewish females remain free in an Aryan town.
13. What does Elli do with her poetry journal when she sees a young mother denied possession of a single photo?
(a) Burns it.
(b) Hides it.
(c) Places it under her shirt.
(d) Puts it between layers of bedding.
14. What is the setting as the story opens?
(a) Elli's school in 1945.
(b) The town of Somorja in 1943.
(c) The past, in the ghetto.
15. Where do Bonnie and Elli go to swim?
(a) The Danube.
(b) An ocean.
(c) A neighbor's pool.
(d) The town pool.
Short Answer Questions
1. What purpose does the river in town often serve?
2. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura pack for their trip?
3. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
4. What happens to the women in the showers at Auschwitz?
5. On what does Elli's poetry focus?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)