|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surrendered possession bothers Elli the most?
(a) A grammar book.
(b) A radio.
(c) A yellow Schwinn.
(d) A gold locket.
2. What are the overall living conditions in "The Ghetto" for Jewish families?
(a) They know no one, and the place is filthy.
(b) They are comfortable and happy.
(c) They are under heavy guard with limited space.
(d) The families steal from each to survive.
3. Who is Pinhas?
(a) A popular cook in the ghetto.
(b) A boy who likes Elli.
(c) A kind guard in the ghetto.
(d) A boy who helps Elli's family.
4. Why does Elli believe her mother slights her?
(a) Elli is not pretty.
(b) Elli is not like Laura.
(c) Elli doesn't like Bubi.
(d) Elli is too much like her father.
5. How does Bubbi attain good grades in school?
(a) He does extra work.
(b) He constantly studies.
(c) He doesn't make good grades.
(d) He doesn't study.
6. Who is head of the barracks and inmates at Auschwitz?
(a) A boy, passing himself off as a female.
(b) A large eighteen-year-old girl.
(c) A nurse.
(d) A nun.
7. Where does Elli finally place her poetry journal before leaving for the work camps?
(a) Buries it in the synogogue.
(b) Gives it to Pista Szivos.
(c) Leaves it on her bed.
(d) Puts it in a trash can.
8. When the guards force the women outside for roll call, what does Elli wish she had thought about earlier?
(a) Wearing her shoes.
(b) Keeping her food.
(c) Taking a hat.
(d) Bringing a blanket.
9. Under what conditions does Elli leave her school?
(a) With her classmates crying.
(b) With taunts referring to her Jewish background.
(c) With a graduation party.
(d) With little notice.
10. How does Elli's father react to Bubi's story from the middle of the night?
(a) Bubi's father ignores him.
(b) Bubi's father keeps him at home.
(c) Bubi's father cries.
(d) Bubi's father makes plans.
11. What does Elli do with her poetry journal when she sees a young mother denied possession of a single photo?
(a) Places it under her shirt.
(b) Puts it between layers of bedding.
(c) Hides it.
(d) Burns it.
12. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura's father spend time doing?
(a) Resting his eyes.
(b) Preparing food.
(c) Reading the Talmud.
(d) Talking to his wife.
13. What does Elli's father show her in the basement?
(a) Where he hid her yellow bicycle.
(b) Where to hide from soldiers.
(c) Where he buried the family's valuable jewelry.
(d) Where to keep her poetry and money.
14. Elli thinks her mother's favorite child is _______________.
15. When Elli returns to her school, what award does she learn she received?
(a) Honorable Mention.
(b) She did not receive an award.
(c) First place.
(d) Honor Scroll.
Short Answer Questions
1. What purpose does the river in town often serve?
2. Where does Jancsi want to meet Elli?
3. What are Suri and Hindi doing on June 9 and 10?
4. Who largely packs for Nagymagyar?
5. At the start of the book, how does Elli spend her days?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)