|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bubbi's father react when he sees the story later in the papers?
(a) He doesn't believe the paper.
(b) He writes the paper a letter.
(c) He considers going to Budapest in search of Bubi.
(d) He calls Bubi at school.
2. How far is Nagymagyar from Elli's home?
(a) Nine kilometers.
(b) A nautical mile.
(c) Fourteen kilometers.
(d) A hundred millimeters.
3. Why does Elli believe her mother slights her?
(a) Elli is too much like her father.
(b) Elli doesn't like Bubi.
(c) Elli is not pretty.
(d) Elli is not like Laura.
4. How does Elli work in school?
(a) She makes good grades easily.
(b) She does not concentrate well.
(c) She is sloppy in her work.
(d) She is incredibly ambitious.
5. After a guard takes the young girl during the riot, what do the females hear?
(a) A shot.
(b) A train pulling away.
(c) Guards yelling.
(d) Her tears.
6. What bothers Elli the most concerning her surrendered possession?
(a) She had hope for a future from it.
(b) She saw a lack of communication with others.
(c) She knew it was expensive.
(d) She never rode it.
7. What is Laura's reaction about Aunt Serene's orders to go to a side different from Laura's during selection?
(a) Laura keeps quiet about her sister.
(b) Laura begs to go with her sister.
(c) Laura chases after her sister.
(d) Laura hides behind Elli.
8. Where do Bonnie and Elli go to swim?
(a) The Danube.
(b) The town pool.
(c) An ocean.
(d) A neighbor's pool.
9. What story does Bubbi tell his family in the middle of the night?
(a) Hitler coming to their town.
(b) The war ending.
(c) Nazi soldiers in Budapest.
(d) Hungarian police leaving their town.
10. As she leaves town, how does Elli ride?
(a) With her eyes closed.
(b) With her back away from her house.
(c) So the soldiers can't see her cry.
(d) So she can see her home.
11. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
(a) She is too upset about Bubi.
(b) The guards would not let her walk in public.
(c) All schools are closed.
(d) Schools would not give Jewish children diplomas.
12. What is the setting as the story opens?
(b) The past, in the ghetto.
(c) The town of Somorja in 1943.
(d) Elli's school in 1945.
13. What do Elli and Laura first notice about "The Ghetto"?
(a) Everyone is crying.
(b) The place is empty except for guards.
(c) No one else obeys orders.
(d) Hundreds of people are crammed into a small area.
14. What are the overall living conditions in "The Ghetto" for Jewish families?
(a) They are comfortable and happy.
(b) They know no one, and the place is filthy.
(c) The families steal from each to survive.
(d) They are under heavy guard with limited space.
15. How was food distributed at Auschwitz?
(a) Only in the morning.
(b) A single portion to five people.
(c) In brown bags.
(d) At the prisoners' beds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Elli's family living quarters in "The Ghetto"?
2. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura pack for their trip?
3. Why do Elli, her mother, aunt, and two cousins form a group at mealtime?
4. How does Elli's planned meeting with Jansci occur?
5. What purpose does the river in town often serve?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)