|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As she leaves town, how does Elli ride?
(a) With her eyes closed.
(b) With her back away from her house.
(c) So she can see her home.
(d) So the soldiers can't see her cry.
2. How do many families cook in "The Ghetto"?
(a) They did not cook.
(b) Over an open fire.
(c) With a grill.
(d) In an oven.
3. Where do Laura and Elli visit before they traveled to Nagymagyar?
(a) The synogogue.
(b) The river.
(c) The cemetery.
(d) The school.
4. As the guards order women to take their blankets inside, what do they do to the women?
(a) Steal their food.
(b) Hit them on the head.
(c) Slap their wrists.
(d) Shoot at them.
5. What place does Elli describe as "the most notorious forced labor camp in Poland"?
6. How do Laura and Elli plan to travel to Nagymagyar?
(a) In a car.
(b) On the final cart.
(c) On a big train.
(d) On a horse.
7. How does Elli work in school?
(a) She is sloppy in her work.
(b) She is incredibly ambitious.
(c) She does not concentrate well.
(d) She makes good grades easily.
8. What does the town crier announce as forbidden access for Jews?
(a) Public buildings.
9. How far is Nagymagyar from Elli's home?
(a) Fourteen kilometers.
(b) A hundred millimeters.
(c) A nautical mile.
(d) Nine kilometers.
10. What does Elli's father show her in the basement?
(a) Where he buried the family's valuable jewelry.
(b) Where to keep her poetry and money.
(c) Where to hide from soldiers.
(d) Where he hid her yellow bicycle.
11. After their showers at Auschwitz, what do Elli and her mother desperately want?
12. What happens to the women in the showers at Auschwitz?
(a) They are sprayed with poison.
(b) They are spashed with hot water.
(c) They are blasted with cold water.
(d) They are given soap.
13. What purpose does the river in town often serve?
(a) Washing laundry.
(b) Watering herds of animals.
(c) A tourist attraction.
(d) Fish, for food.
14. Why do Elli, her mother, aunt, and two cousins form a group at mealtime?
(a) To stay warm.
(b) To share the food equally.
(c) To get more bowls of soup.
(d) To prevent other prisoners stealing their clothes.
15. Where do Bonnie and Elli go to swim?
(a) The Danube.
(b) An ocean.
(c) The town pool.
(d) A neighbor's pool.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Laura's reaction about Aunt Serene's orders to go to a side different from Laura's during selection?
2. What bothers Elli the most concerning her surrendered possession?
3. What surrendered possession bothers Elli the most?
4. When Elli and Laura arrive at the waiting cart for Nagymagar, why are the soldiers angry?
5. What do Elli and Laura first notice about "The Ghetto"?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)