|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Elli and her mother do with their first serving of food at Auschwitz?
(a) They never receive it.
(c) Throw it away.
(d) Give it to their cousins.
2. Why does a girl have blood running down her leg?
(a) She cut her leg.
(b) A guard shot her.
(c) She hurt herself at work.
(d) She started her period.
3. How do many families cook in "The Ghetto"?
(a) With a grill.
(b) They did not cook.
(c) Over an open fire.
(d) In an oven.
4. What is the setting as the story opens?
(a) The town of Somorja in 1943.
(c) Elli's school in 1945.
(d) The past, in the ghetto.
5. What are the overall living conditions in "The Ghetto" for Jewish families?
(a) They are under heavy guard with limited space.
(b) They know no one, and the place is filthy.
(c) They are comfortable and happy.
(d) The families steal from each to survive.
6. For what are the women punished at Auschwitz?
(a) Sleeping too much.
(c) Talking to guards.
(d) Not cleaning their rooms enough.
7. Whom does Elli's family share a house with in "The Ghetto"?
8. When Elli returns to her school, what award does she learn she received?
(a) Honorable Mention.
(b) First place.
(c) Honor Scroll.
(d) She did not receive an award.
9. What does Elli do with her poetry journal when she sees a young mother denied possession of a single photo?
(a) Hides it.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Places it under her shirt.
(d) Puts it between layers of bedding.
10. What does Aunt Serena do with dishes before leaving on May 2?
(a) Smashes them.
(b) Buries them.
(c) Burns them.
(d) Gives them away.
11. What do Marta Kalman and her mother bring Elli?
(a) Flour, a goose, and eggs.
(b) Flour, duck, and lettuce.
(c) Chicken, eggs, and cornbread.
(d) Salad and dressing.
12. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura pack for their trip?
(a) Food and other supplies.
(b) Extra shoes and socks.
(c) Shirts and warm pants.
(d) Reading materials.
13. What does Elli learn from the town crier?
(a) All Jews are to stay inside during the day.
(b) Jews are not to shop at the grocery market.
(c) All Jews are to wear a yellow cloth star.
(d) Jews are not to speak to Christians.
14. Why does Elli's father think ambition is a desirable trait?
(a) Ambition can make a person accomplish more.
(b) Ambition shows you care.
(c) Ambition makes others like you.
(d) Ambition gives others confidence.
15. How does Elli handle being forced to wear the yellow star?
(a) She cries when she goes outside.
(b) She covers it.
(c) She refuses to go out.
(d) She wears it with pride.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bubi manage to return from Budapest after the story breaks in the papers?
2. How does Bubi react to the news from the town crier?
3. Why does Laura hate leaving her sister behind at Auschwitz?
4. After a guard takes the young girl during the riot, what do the females hear?
5. As a young girl screams, what do the female prisoners begin to smell?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)