|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bothers Elli the most concerning her surrendered possession?
(a) She never rode it.
(b) She saw a lack of communication with others.
(c) She had hope for a future from it.
(d) She knew it was expensive.
2. When Elli returns to her school, what award does she learn she received?
(a) She did not receive an award.
(b) Honor Scroll.
(c) First place.
(d) Honorable Mention.
3. Where does Elli finally place her poetry journal before leaving for the work camps?
(a) Gives it to Pista Szivos.
(b) Puts it in a trash can.
(c) Buries it in the synogogue.
(d) Leaves it on her bed.
4. How do Laura and Elli plan to travel to Nagymagyar?
(a) On the final cart.
(b) On a big train.
(c) In a car.
(d) On a horse.
5. What are Suri and Hindi doing on June 9 and 10?
(a) Searching for girls to trade places.
(b) Stealing warm clothes.
(c) Hiding their mother.
(d) Tricking a guard.
6. How old is Elli as the story opens?
7. How does Laura demonstrate affection?
(a) Laura gives lots of hugs and kisses.
(b) Laura is not demonstrative with affection.
(c) Laura writes her children notes.
(d) Laura reads stories at night.
8. As Bubi leaves his mother at Auschwitz, what does she see?
(a) A SS guard knocks him down.
(b) Another prisoner takes his food.
(c) Bubi is starting to cry.
(d) Bubi takes off his shoes.
9. How does Elli feel as she travels away from Auschwitz?
10. When Elli sees her reflection on June 3, what is her reaction?
(a) "I look like a man."
(b) She is pleasently surprised.
(c) "That isn't so bad."
(d) She is shocked.
11. What does the town crier announce concerning Jews and socialization?
(a) Jews are not allowed to socialize at all with Christians.
(b) Jews are not allowed to speak to anyone.
(c) Jews are not allowed to look at anyone.
(d) Jews are not allowed to talk about Christians.
12. How long does it take Elli to arrive at Auschwitz?
(a) Four nights.
(b) Two days.
(c) A week.
(d) A few hours.
13. What does Elli's father show her in the basement?
(a) Where to hide from soldiers.
(b) Where to keep her poetry and money.
(c) Where he buried the family's valuable jewelry.
(d) Where he hid her yellow bicycle.
14. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura's father spend time doing?
(a) Reading the Talmud.
(b) Resting his eyes.
(c) Talking to his wife.
(d) Preparing food.
15. Where do Bonnie and Elli go to swim?
(a) A neighbor's pool.
(b) The town pool.
(c) The Danube.
(d) An ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Pinhas?
2. What does Aunt Celia do on June 9 and 10?
3. What place does Elli describe as "the most notorious forced labor camp in Poland"?
4. What is the penalty for Christians who socialize with Jews?
5. What orders does the family receive on May 20 in regard to traveling?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)