Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do many families cook in "The Ghetto"?
(a) With a grill.
(b) In an oven.
(c) They did not cook.
(d) Over an open fire.
2. The night before the men are to leave for work camp, what does Laura pack for their trip?
(a) Food and other supplies.
(b) Extra shoes and socks.
(c) Shirts and warm pants.
(d) Reading materials.
3. Under what conditions does Elli leave her school?
(a) With her classmates crying.
(b) With taunts referring to her Jewish background.
(c) With little notice.
(d) With a graduation party.
4. Why does Elli not have the chance to graduate?
(a) All schools are closed.
(b) The guards would not let her walk in public.
(c) Schools would not give Jewish children diplomas.
(d) She is too upset about Bubi.
5. For what are the women punished at Auschwitz?
(a) Sleeping too much.
(c) Not cleaning their rooms enough.
(d) Talking to guards.
6. Where do Laura and Elli visit before they traveled to Nagymagyar?
(a) The synogogue.
(b) The river.
(c) The cemetery.
(d) The school.
7. What does Aunt Celia do on June 9 and 10?
(a) Trades places with another woman.
(b) Beats a guard.
(c) Takes more blankets.
(d) Steals food from the kitchen.
8. What happens on March 27?
(a) Guards order all Jewish residents to give up possessions of value.
(b) Elli's father makes documents for each family member.
(c) Bubi comes home from Budapest.
(d) Laura falls ill.
9. After their showers at Auschwitz, what do Elli and her mother desperately want?
10. What does Elli do with her poetry journal when she sees a young mother denied possession of a single photo?
(a) Puts it between layers of bedding.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Hides it.
(d) Places it under her shirt.
11. What is the setting as the story opens?
(a) The town of Somorja in 1943.
(c) The past, in the ghetto.
(d) Elli's school in 1945.
12. During selection, to what side do the guards send Aunt Serene?
(a) To the right.
(b) To a factory.
(c) Back to the cattle cars.
(d) To the left.
13. What does Aunt Serena do with dishes before leaving on May 2?
(a) Smashes them.
(b) Buries them.
(c) Burns them.
(d) Gives them away.
14. After a guard takes the young girl during the riot, what do the females hear?
(a) Her tears.
(b) A train pulling away.
(c) A shot.
(d) Guards yelling.
15. What are Elli's family living quarters in "The Ghetto"?
(a) They have a tent.
(b) They have a small three-room house.
(c) They share a home with two families.
(d) They live in a synogogue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the overall living conditions in "The Ghetto" for Jewish families?
2. Where are many families sleeping in "The Ghetto"?
3. What place does Elli describe as "the most notorious forced labor camp in Poland"?
4. What does the town crier announce as forbidden access for Jews?
5. Who is head of the barracks and inmates at Auschwitz?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)