1. What is the setting as the story opens?
(a) The past, in the ghetto.
(b) The town of Somorja in 1943.
(d) Elli's school in 1945.
2. How old is Elli as the story opens?
3. At the start of the book, how does Elli spend her days?
(a) Reading and writing for school.
(b) Sitting at home with her mother.
(c) Helping her father at the restaurant.
(d) In typical pursuits of young girls of her age.
4. Where do Bonnie and Elli go to swim?
(a) The town pool.
(b) The Danube.
(c) An ocean.
(d) A neighbor's pool.
5. What purpose does the river in town often serve?
(a) Watering herds of animals.
(b) Fish, for food.
(c) Washing laundry.
(d) A tourist attraction.
6. How does Laura demonstrate affection?
(a) Laura reads stories at night.
(b) Laura is not demonstrative with affection.
(c) Laura gives lots of hugs and kisses.
(d) Laura writes her children notes.
7. Why does Elli believe her mother slights her?
(a) Elli is not like Laura.
(b) Elli is not pretty.
(c) Elli is too much like her father.
(d) Elli doesn't like Bubi.
This section contains 4,869 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)