1. What is the setting as the story opens?
(a) The town of Somorja in 1943.
(b) The past, in the ghetto.
(d) Elli's school in 1945.
2. How old is Elli as the story opens?
3. At the start of the book, how does Elli spend her days?
(a) Sitting at home with her mother.
(b) In typical pursuits of young girls of her age.
(c) Helping her father at the restaurant.
(d) Reading and writing for school.
4. Where do Bonnie and Elli go to swim?
(a) The town pool.
(b) The Danube.
(c) A neighbor's pool.
(d) An ocean.
5. What purpose does the river in town often serve?
(a) A tourist attraction.
(b) Watering herds of animals.
(c) Washing laundry.
(d) Fish, for food.
6. How does Laura demonstrate affection?
(a) Laura gives lots of hugs and kisses.
(b) Laura reads stories at night.
(c) Laura writes her children notes.
(d) Laura is not demonstrative with affection.
7. Why does Elli believe her mother slights her?
(a) Elli is not pretty.
(b) Elli is too much like her father.
(c) Elli doesn't like Bubi.
(d) Elli is not like Laura.
This section contains 4,869 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)