• Elli tells of her life in Somorja in the summer of 1943. She lives with her brother (Bubi), her mother (Laura), and her father.
• The family is Jewish and is facing tough living conditions because of the Hungarian police.
• Elli feels that her mother cares for Bubi more than she does for her. Elli confides in her father, who tells her that her ambition will carry her far in life.
• Bubi is naturally smart and goes to school in Budapest.
• Bubi comes home one night to warn his family about Nazi soldiers in Budapest.
• Bubi's father ignores him and sends him back to school.
• The following day, Bubi's father learns from the newspaper that the story was true. Bubi returns home on his own.
• Elli's school closes, and she does not get to graduate.
• She leaves school surrounded by taunts to her Jewish heritage.
• The police force...
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)