|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the footnotes on Chapter 20: "I See the Promise Land," what position did Judge Hooks hold in the NAACP?
2. What was the broad strategy of the Black Power Movement?
3. What war began to take precedence over the Civil Rights Movement given that military presence was needed?
4. What was Martin Luther King, Sr.'s, nickname?
5. What was Stokely Carmichael's slogan in gaining the presidency of the SNCC on May 16, 1966?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Time to Break Silence," what did King claim was the irony behind the war in Vietnam?
2. In his speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", Martin Luther King, Jr. stated that the United States mishandled money in regard to its own people. According to King, how did the United States misappropriate funds?
3. During the delivery of King's Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech in 1964, he declared some "refusals." What were the two refusals that King put forth during his speech?
4. Martin Luther King, Jr., stated five dreams during his "I Have A Dream" speech. What were three of his "dreams"?
5. In King's speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", why did Martin Luther King, Jr., claim that the Negro had been "confined to the life of voicelessness and powerlessness"?
6. What did Martin Luther King, Jr., claim needed to be done to begin America's extraction from the war in Vietnam?
7. What did King, in his speech "A Time to Break Silence," claim the Vietnamese watched Americans do during the Vietnam War?
8. Why did Martin Luther King, Jr., describe Americans as "strange liberators" in "A Time to Break Silence"?
9. According the introduction of Chapter 18: "Where Do We Go From Here?", what happened in the United States during the Cold War to upset the Civil Rights Movement?
10. Why did the Southern Christian Leadership Conference make their motto "To save the soul of America"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the "Drum Major Instinct." What is the "Drum Major Instinct"? How did it develop? Upon what is it based ? What is the "Drum Major Instinct's" importance to the Civil Rights Movement? Why did Dr. King find it necessary to design a sermon around the "Drum Major Instinct"?
Essay Topic 2
Some may come to misunderstand the collaboration of a movement that pursues inclusion (the Civil Rights Movement) while celebrating individuality of a race (The Black Power Movement). Examine how these two "movements" can live in harmony even though they, by definition, are very different. Discuss the different attributes of each movement and their similarities. How do their differences speak to their ability to be cohesive?
Essay Topic 3
What role did Martin Luther King, Jr., have in the Civil Rights Movement? What were his titles and his involvement within each title? How did King use his influence to possess each leadership role?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)