|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dr. King's article from Chapter 17: "Black Power Defined" discuss?
2. What two cities had riots erupt on July 18, 1964?
3. What memorial was the background for Dr. King's "I Have A Dream" speech?
4. In 1964, what party was refused a seat by the Democratic National Convention?
5. What street did Dr. King live on while growing up and while his father was pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church?
Short Essay Questions
1. In his speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", Martin Luther King, Jr. stated that the United States mishandled money in regard to its own people. According to King, how did the United States misappropriate funds?
2. According to King's speech "I Have A Dream," what can African Americans never be satisfied with?
3. According to the summary in the introduction of Chapter 18: "Where Do We Go From Here?", what were the circumstances that surrounded King's last and most radical address to the Southern Christian Leadership Conference presidential address?
4. Why did Martin Luther King, Jr., describe Americans as "strange liberators" in "A Time to Break Silence"?
5. What were the circumstances that surrounded King's "Eulogy for the Martyred Children"?
6. Why did political rightists, described in the introduction of Chapter 18: "Where Do We Go From Here?," claim that Martin Luther King, Jr., was unpatriotic?
7. According to King's speech "A Time to Break Silence," what change did America make in effort to "quell the insurgency that Diem's methods had aroused"?
8. According the introduction of Chapter 18: "Where Do We Go From Here?", what happened in the United States during the Cold War to upset the Civil Rights Movement?
9. What did Martin Luther King, Jr., claim needed to be done to begin America's extraction from the war in Vietnam?
10. According to King's speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", what is the only answer to mankind's problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of the location of the Civil Rights Movement and Martin Luther King, Jr.'s, involvement. Would Martin Luther King, Jr., been as involved in the movement if it was not central to his community? Why do you believe this?
Essay Topic 2
What role did Martin Luther King, Jr., have in the Civil Rights Movement? What were his titles and his involvement within each title? How did King use his influence to possess each leadership role?
Essay Topic 3
The "Freedom Movement" included many "ins." Discuss the "ins" used in the "Freedom Movement." What was the importance of the "ins" from the "Freedom Movement"? What purpose did the "ins" serve? What did the "ins" prove? What was the effectiveness of the "ins"?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)