|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did W.E.B. DuBois die?
2. Who did Dr. King go to help in Memphis, Tennessee, during a strike against unfair labor practices?
3. Where did Dr. King deliver his last sermon?
4. According to Chapter 19: "The Drum Major Instinct," what were considered the religious parents of the African American culture?
5. On what date did Dr. King deliver his most historic and controversial statement tying the war and the Civil Rights Movement together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompted the Nobel Peace Prize committee to search for the "greatest apostle of peace" in 1964?
2. According to King's speech "I Have A Dream," the song "America" needed to be sung, and believed, by all that sang it. Name three things that King wanted freedom to ring from.
3. In King's speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", why did Martin Luther King, Jr., claim that the Negro had been "confined to the life of voicelessness and powerlessness"?
4. According to King's speech "I Have A Dream," what can African Americans never be satisfied with?
5. According to the summary in Chapter 19: "The Drum Major Instinct," what was the importance of the black church in the African American culture?
6. In 1967, as summarized in the introduction of Chapter 18: "Where Do We Go From Here?," Martin Luther King, Jr., felt caught between two distinct groups for very different reasons. Who did King feel caught between and why?
7. In his speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", Martin Luther King, Jr. stated that the United States mishandled money in regard to its own people. According to King, how did the United States misappropriate funds?
8. According to King's speech "A Time to Break Silence," who was the most "vicious modern dictator"?
9. In King's speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", what did Martin Luther King, Jr., claim was the creed of the Negro's self-affirmation?
10. According to the summary in the introduction of Chapter 18: "Where Do We Go From Here?", what were the circumstances that surrounded King's last and most radical address to the Southern Christian Leadership Conference presidential address?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martin Luther King, Jr.. was influenced by Mohandas Gandhi. In what ways did Gandhi directly influence Dr. King and the way he choose to fight for civil rights?
Essay Topic 2
Martin Luther King, Jr., seemed to speak to the younger African Americans and have them join him in his fight for civil rights. Why do you believe that Dr. King targeted this specific audience? What was the significance of influencing students to take part in the non-violent fight for civil rights?
Essay Topic 3
Martin Luther King, Jr., wanted all African Americans to be able to sing "America" (My Country 'tis of Thee) and have it be true for them in the literal sense. (From Chapter 2: "Facing the Challenge of a New Age") According to Martin Luther King, Jr., what needed to happen for African Americans to be able to sing "America" and hold it true in their hearts?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)