|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date did Dr. King give the sermon from Chapter 19: "The Drum Major Instinct" at Ebenezer Baptist Church?
2. What was the publication date from Dr. King's article from Chapter 17: "Black Power Defined"?
3. Why were Western nations uncomfortable with the USSR?
4. When did Dr. King speak publicly in an anti-war demonstration?
5. When did Dr. King deliver his last SCLC presidential address?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to King's speech "I Have A Dream," what can African Americans never be satisfied with?
2. In King's speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", why did Martin Luther King, Jr., claim that the Negro had been "confined to the life of voicelessness and powerlessness"?
3. In King's speech "Where Do We Go From Here?," what did King mean by "as long as a mind is enslaved, the body can never be free"?
4. During the delivery of King's Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech in 1964, he declared some "refusals." What were the two refusals that King put forth during his speech?
5. Martin Luther King, Jr., stated five dreams during his "I Have A Dream" speech. What were three of his "dreams"?
6. What prompted the Nobel Peace Prize committee to search for the "greatest apostle of peace" in 1964?
7. According to King's speech "I Have A Dream," who should be able to allow freedom to ring? Who did King include when he named the groups that should be allowed to "let freedom ring"?
8. What did Martin Luther King, Jr., claim needed to be done to begin America's extraction from the war in Vietnam?
9. According to King's speech "I Have A Dream," the song "America" needed to be sung, and believed, by all that sang it. Name three things that King wanted freedom to ring from.
10. In his speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", Martin Luther King, Jr. stated that the United States mishandled money in regard to its own people. According to King, how did the United States misappropriate funds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The "Freedom Movement" included many "ins." Discuss the "ins" used in the "Freedom Movement." What was the importance of the "ins" from the "Freedom Movement"? What purpose did the "ins" serve? What did the "ins" prove? What was the effectiveness of the "ins"?
Essay Topic 2
What role did Martin Luther King, Jr., have in the Civil Rights Movement? What were his titles and his involvement within each title? How did King use his influence to possess each leadership role?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. King was adamant about fighting for civil rights in a non-violent way. On the other hand, Robert Williams (Chapter 6; local president of the NAACP) choose violence as the way to freedom. Compare and contrast the non-violent and violent acts and their ability to work/or not towards the cause.
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)