|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Dr. King deliver his most historic and controversial statement tying the war and the Civil Rights Movement together?
2. What was Martin Luther King, Sr.'s, nickname?
3. When did Dr. King deliver his last SCLC presidential address?
4. What year was considered a momentous year in American history and in the life of Martin Luther King, Jr.?
5. Who was murdered on February 21, 1965, in New York City?
Essay Topic 1
Some may come to misunderstand the collaboration of a movement that pursues inclusion (the Civil Rights Movement) while celebrating individuality of a race (The Black Power Movement). Examine how these two "movements" can live in harmony even though they, by definition, are very different. Discuss the different attributes of each movement and their similarities. How do their differences speak to their ability to be cohesive?
Essay Topic 2
Martin Luther King, Jr., wanted all African Americans to be able to sing "America" (My Country 'tis of Thee) and have it be true for them in the literal sense. (From Chapter 2: "Facing the Challenge of a New Age") According to Martin Luther King, Jr., what needed to happen for African Americans to be able to sing "America" and hold it true in their hearts?
Essay Topic 3
Martin Luther King, Jr., wrote "Letter From a Birmingham Jail" while serving a sentence for participating in a civil rights demonstration. Discuss the importance of his actual writing from jail. What did this act prove to those involved in the civil rights act? Did this letter help to show his determination or did it hinder his part in the movement?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)