|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date did Dr. King accept his Nobel Peace Prize?
2. Who introduced Dr. King for his last and final sermon?
3. On what date were excerpts from the sermon from Chapter 19: "The Drum Major Instinct" played for Dr. King's nationally televised funeral service?
4. What percentage of African Americans registered in Alabama voted in Alabama's Democratic Primary?
5. At what meeting did Dr. King deliver his most historic and controversial statement tying the war and the Civil Rights Movement together?
Essay Topic 1
Martin Luther King, Jr., made it important in his life, and in the Civil Rights Movement, to support all people affected by segregation and racial hate. Dr. King stood up for the African American woman who refused to give up her seat, spoke at the funeral of young girls killed in a church bombing, went to Tennessee to help African Americans fight unfair labor practices, and spoke to thousands of students about the Civil Rights Movement. Describe the importance of inclusion for Dr. King as part of the Civil Rights Movement. Why is inclusion the backbone of the Civil Rights Movement?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Martin Luther King, Jr.'s motivation for participating in the Civil Rights Movement. Why did he find it necessary to take on such a major role in the movement? How did he qualify as the leader of such a movement?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. King asked a student (from Chapter 9: "The Time For Freedom Has Come") to find a quotation that expressed his feelings regard the African American struggle. This was the quote:
"I sought my soul, but my soul I could not see,
I sought my God, but he eluded me,
I sought my brother, and I found all three."
Describe how this student's quote reveals the effort behind the Civil Rights Movement. What does the quote mean? How does it speak to the movement itself? How does the quote embody a movement that requires solidarity?
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)