|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did Martin Luther King, Sr., die?
2. What was the name of the war primarily between the U.S. and the Soviet Union?
3. Why did Dr. King admit that he felt depressed prior to giving the speech in Chapter 20: "I See the Promise Land"?
4. What was the ethnicity of the people who attended the anti-war demonstration that Dr. King led?
5. According to Chapter 18: "Where Do We Go From Here," what did political leftists accuse Dr. King?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did King, in his speech "A Time to Break Silence," claim the Vietnamese watched Americans do during the Vietnam War?
2. According to King's speech "I Have A Dream," who should be able to allow freedom to ring? Who did King include when he named the groups that should be allowed to "let freedom ring"?
3. Martin Luther King, Jr., stated five dreams during his "I Have A Dream" speech. What were three of his "dreams"?
4. According to King's speech "A Time to Break Silence," what change did America make in effort to "quell the insurgency that Diem's methods had aroused"?
5. Describe the circumstances surrounding King's "I Have a Dream" speech.
6. In 1967, as summarized in the introduction of Chapter 18: "Where Do We Go From Here?," Martin Luther King, Jr., felt caught between two distinct groups for very different reasons. Who did King feel caught between and why?
7. What was the reasoning behind King's speech on March 25, 1967?
8. According to King's speech "I Have A Dream," what can African Americans never be satisfied with?
9. Why did political rightists, described in the introduction of Chapter 18: "Where Do We Go From Here?," claim that Martin Luther King, Jr., was unpatriotic?
10. Why did Martin Luther King, Jr., and Malcolm X declare America a "sick society"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did Martin Luther King, Jr., have in the Civil Rights Movement? What were his titles and his involvement within each title? How did King use his influence to possess each leadership role?
Essay Topic 2
The "Freedom Movement" included many "ins." Discuss the "ins" used in the "Freedom Movement." What was the importance of the "ins" from the "Freedom Movement"? What purpose did the "ins" serve? What did the "ins" prove? What was the effectiveness of the "ins"?
Essay Topic 3
Martin Luther King, Jr., wanted all African Americans to be able to sing "America" (My Country 'tis of Thee) and have it be true for them in the literal sense. (From Chapter 2: "Facing the Challenge of a New Age") According to Martin Luther King, Jr., what needed to happen for African Americans to be able to sing "America" and hold it true in their hearts?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)