|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date did Dr. King submit his resignation as pastor of the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church?
2. On what date did Rosa Parks refuse to give up her seat on a Montgomery bus?
3. What laws did African American interstate travelers ignore during their public transportation across state lines?
4. What date did the Montgomery buses become integrated?
5. What were the nicknames of the African Americans who traveled from state to state even though they were prohibited from doing so because of white co-passengers?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Rosa Parks was asked why she did not move from her seat on the bus, what did she answer?
2. In Chapter 4: "My Trip To the Land of Gandhi," Martin Luther King, Jr., described his fascination for India. Why did King hold a fascination for India?
3. According to King's speech "Our Struggle," why did many black men lose their self-respect?
4. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what two fronts must the African American work on during the period of social change?
5. What happened on December 1, 1955, to initiate the forward movement of the Civil Rights Movement?
6. According to "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools," why was it difficult for young people to realize the effectiveness of nonviolence in the Civil Rights Movement?
7. According to King's speech "Our Struggle," how are the extreme race relations of the South explained?
8. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what were some of the factors that led to a new sense of self-respect on the part of the African American?
9. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what is the primary reason for bringing an end to racial discrimination?
10. What was ironic about King's entry into the Crozer Theological Seminary in September of 1948?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the sermons/speeches used for I Have A Dream: Writings and Speeches That Changed the World. Discuss the importance of the sermon/speech's inclusion. Why is it important to have this speech/sermon serving as part of the whole? Why did you choose this sermon/speech as the most important of the text?
Essay Topic 2
The "Freedom Movement" included many "ins." Discuss the "ins" used in the "Freedom Movement." What was the importance of the "ins" from the "Freedom Movement"? What purpose did the "ins" serve? What did the "ins" prove? What was the effectiveness of the "ins"?
Essay Topic 3
Martin Luther King, Jr., as well as the editor James M. Washington, stated throughout I Have A Dream: Writings and Speeches That Changed the World that the African American churches played a major role in the efforts to end racial prejudice, segregation, and unfairly balanced civil rights. Discuss the role of the church and religion in the Civil Rights Movement. Why were the church and religion so important to the movement? How did Dr. King incorporate the church and religion into the movement? How did the incorporation of religion hold true to the theme of I Have A Dream: Writings and Speeches That Changed the World and the Civil Rights Movement?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)