|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom from the NAACP did Dr. King argue regarding non-violent movement against racism?
2. What two organizations invited Dr. King to speak at the University of California at Berkeley on June 4, 1957?
3. On what date did Dr. King submit his resignation as pastor of the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church?
4. What president announced the use of federal troops to escort nine children to high school in Arkansas?
5. What group organized the first integrated group of interstate travelers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the three reasons that blacks gave when asked why they did not expect the Montgomery Bus Boycott to succeed?
2. According to "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools," what did King describe as "the face of the future"?
3. According to King's speech "Our Struggle," how are the extreme race relations of the South explained?
4. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what two fronts must the African American work on during the period of social change?
5. What were the reasons that King's trip to India kept getting put off?
6. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what were the problems associated with the shift from rural to urban life for African Americans?
7. According to "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools," why should new graduates become dedicated fighters for civil rights?
8. According to "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools," why was it difficult for young people to realize the effectiveness of nonviolence in the Civil Rights Movement?
9. According to "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools," what did the march demonstrate to him?
10. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what were the successful precedents that showed that civil rights could be obtained peacefully?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did Martin Luther King, Jr., have in the Civil Rights Movement? What were his titles and his involvement within each title? How did King use his influence to possess each leadership role?
Essay Topic 2
Martin Luther King, Jr., as well as the editor James M. Washington, stated throughout I Have A Dream: Writings and Speeches That Changed the World that the African American churches played a major role in the efforts to end racial prejudice, segregation, and unfairly balanced civil rights. Discuss the role of the church and religion in the Civil Rights Movement. Why were the church and religion so important to the movement? How did Dr. King incorporate the church and religion into the movement? How did the incorporation of religion hold true to the theme of I Have A Dream: Writings and Speeches That Changed the World and the Civil Rights Movement?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of Rosa Parks, the Montgomery Bus Boycott, and their association with the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement. How did each action affect the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)