|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Montgomery Bus boycott begin?
2. What two organizations denounced violent actions relating to desegregation acts?
3. What were the dates of the demonstration at Rainbow Beach in Chicago?
4. Who was the first black student to graduate from the high school in Arkansas on May 27, 1958?
5. Where was Martin Luther King, Jr., ordained to the Christian ministry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on December 5, 1955?
2. What was ironic about King's entry into the Crozer Theological Seminary in September of 1948?
3. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what were the successful precedents that showed that civil rights could be obtained peacefully?
4. According to "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools," what would have happened in the United States if the country were to gain three million "southern Negro" votes?
5. According to "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools," what did the denial of the right to vote do to African Americans?
6. According to "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools," what did King describe as "the face of the future"?
7. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what two fronts must the African American work on during the period of social change?
8. When Rosa Parks was asked why she did not move from her seat on the bus, what did she answer?
9. According to "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools," why should new graduates become dedicated fighters for civil rights?
10. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," why did the young blacks need to begin to look at their future in a different light?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of the location of the Civil Rights Movement and Martin Luther King, Jr.'s, involvement. Would Martin Luther King, Jr., been as involved in the movement if it was not central to his community? Why do you believe this?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of Rosa Parks, the Montgomery Bus Boycott, and their association with the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement. How did each action affect the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. King asked a student (from Chapter 9: "The Time For Freedom Has Come") to find a quotation that expressed his feelings regard the African American struggle. This was the quote:
"I sought my soul, but my soul I could not see,
I sought my God, but he eluded me,
I sought my brother, and I found all three."
Describe how this student's quote reveals the effort behind the Civil Rights Movement. What does the quote mean? How does it speak to the movement itself? How does the quote embody a movement that requires solidarity?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)