Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At some points, how did Dr. King help to keep the SCLC's cash flow problems from shutting down due to financial ruin?
2. How many student demonstrators were arrested in Nashville, Tennessee, on February 27, 1960?
3. Dr. King reached out to his extensive religious contacts, including the National Baptist Convention, to organize what conference?
4. What happened to James Farmer's bus as he was traveling from Washington, D.C., to the South?
5. What famous black child psychologist embraced the liberal idea that where there is no equal opportunity to succeed there can be no social equality?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4: "My Trip To the Land of Gandhi," Martin Luther King, Jr., described his fascination for India. Why did King hold a fascination for India?
2. According to King's speech "Our Struggle," why did he think that white people thought blacks deserved (and enjoyed) second-class status?
3. What were the reasons that King's trip to India kept getting put off?
4. According to "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools," what did the march demonstrate to him?
5. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," why had some African Americans become cynical and disillusioned?
6. What happened on December 1, 1955, to initiate the forward movement of the Civil Rights Movement?
7. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what were some of the factors that led to a new sense of self-respect on the part of the African American?
8. According to "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools," what did King describe as "the face of the future"?
9. What were the three reasons that blacks gave when asked why they did not expect the Montgomery Bus Boycott to succeed?
10. According to King's speech "I Have A Dream," the song "America" needed to be sung, and believed, by all that sang it. Name three things that King wanted freedom to ring from.
Discuss the Black Consciousness Movement. What is the Black Consciousness Movement? What does the movement embody? Where are the necessary dimensions for the movement to succeed?
Describe the "Drum Major Instinct." What is the "Drum Major Instinct"? How did it develop? Upon what is it based ? What is the "Drum Major Instinct's" importance to the Civil Rights Movement? Why did Dr. King find it necessary to design a sermon around the "Drum Major Instinct"?
Choose one of the sermons/speeches used for I Have A Dream: Writings and Speeches That Changed the World. Discuss the importance of the sermon/speech's inclusion. Why is it important to have this speech/sermon serving as part of the whole? Why did you choose this sermon/speech as the most important of the text?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)