|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many student demonstrators were arrested in Nashville, Tennessee, on February 27, 1960?
2. When did Dr. King celebrate his thirty-first (31) birthday?
3. What are attempts to attack laws and customs that prohibited African Americans from eating at lunch counters next to Caucasians called?
4. On what date did Dr. King submit his resignation as pastor of the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church?
5. What did white racists bomb on September, 9 1957?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what were some of the factors that led to a new sense of self-respect on the part of the African American?
2. According to "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools," what did the march demonstrate to him?
3. According to King's speech "Our Struggle," why did he think that white people thought blacks deserved (and enjoyed) second-class status?
4. According to "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools," why was it difficult for young people to realize the effectiveness of nonviolence in the Civil Rights Movement?
5. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," how did the African American's awareness of the struggle for freedom in a worldwide realm help to account for a new sense of dignity?
6. What happened on December 5, 1955?
7. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," why did the young blacks need to begin to look at their future in a different light?
8. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what is the primary reason for bringing an end to racial discrimination?
9. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what were the problems associated with the shift from rural to urban life for African Americans?
10. According to King's speech "Our Struggle," what were blacks asking for as part of the "southern pattern"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some may come to misunderstand the collaboration of a movement that pursues inclusion (the Civil Rights Movement) while celebrating individuality of a race (The Black Power Movement). Examine how these two "movements" can live in harmony even though they, by definition, are very different. Discuss the different attributes of each movement and their similarities. How do their differences speak to their ability to be cohesive?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. King was adamant about fighting for civil rights in a non-violent way. On the other hand, Robert Williams (Chapter 6; local president of the NAACP) choose violence as the way to freedom. Compare and contrast the non-violent and violent acts and their ability to work/or not towards the cause.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Black Consciousness Movement. What is the Black Consciousness Movement? What does the movement embody? Where are the necessary dimensions for the movement to succeed?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)