|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the civil rights bill, signed on September 9, 1957, establish?
2. Where did Dr. King move days after his thirty-first birthday?
3. During what years did participation by African American churches in American public life surge?
4. How long did it take for Dr. King's address to students at Berkeley (1957) to be published?
5. When did the President remove the National Guard troops from the high school in Arkansas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompted the Nobel Peace Prize committee to search for the "greatest apostle of peace" in 1964?
2. According to King's speech "Our Struggle," how are the extreme race relations of the South explained?
3. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what were second-class methods?
4. In King's speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", what did Martin Luther King, Jr., claim was the creed of the Negro's self-affirmation?
5. In King's speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", why did Martin Luther King, Jr., claim that the Negro had been "confined to the life of voicelessness and powerlessness"?
6. Why did the Southern Christian Leadership Conference make their motto "To save the soul of America"?
7. Why did political rightists, described in the introduction of Chapter 18: "Where Do We Go From Here?," claim that Martin Luther King, Jr., was unpatriotic?
8. According to King's speech "Our Struggle," why did he think that white people thought blacks deserved (and enjoyed) second-class status?
9. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," how did the African American's awareness of the struggle for freedom in a worldwide realm help to account for a new sense of dignity?
10. According to King's speech "Our Struggle," what would it take for the "master race" to civilize African Americans "to a degree"?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the "Drum Major Instinct." What is the "Drum Major Instinct"? How did it develop? Upon what is it based ? What is the "Drum Major Instinct's" importance to the Civil Rights Movement? Why did Dr. King find it necessary to design a sermon around the "Drum Major Instinct"?
Essay Topic 2
The "Freedom Movement" included many "ins." Discuss the "ins" used in the "Freedom Movement." What was the importance of the "ins" from the "Freedom Movement"? What purpose did the "ins" serve? What did the "ins" prove? What was the effectiveness of the "ins"?
Essay Topic 3
What role did Martin Luther King, Jr., have in the Civil Rights Movement? What were his titles and his involvement within each title? How did King use his influence to possess each leadership role?
This section contains 2,107 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)