|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What president announced the use of federal troops to escort nine children to high school in Arkansas?
2. What did the assailant ask Dr. King right before his assault on September 20, 1958?
3. What religious journal contained a summary of Dr. King's book Stride Toward Freedom?
4. What did white racists bomb on September, 9 1957?
5. Who were the primary people who led the movement exemplified by eating at lunch counters next to Caucasians?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," why is racial injustice a national, and not a sectional, problem?
2. What happened on December 5, 1955?
3. According to King's speech "Our Struggle," why did he think that white people thought blacks deserved (and enjoyed) second-class status?
4. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what were the problems associated with the shift from rural to urban life for African Americans?
5. What were the reasons that King's trip to India kept getting put off?
6. In Chapter 4: "My Trip To the Land of Gandhi," Martin Luther King, Jr., described his fascination for India. Why did King hold a fascination for India?
7. According to King's speech "Our Struggle," how are the extreme race relations of the South explained?
8. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," why had some African Americans become cynical and disillusioned?
9. According to "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools," what did the march demonstrate to him?
10. According to "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools," what would "this generation" not take?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martin Luther King, Jr.. was influenced by Mohandas Gandhi. In what ways did Gandhi directly influence Dr. King and the way he choose to fight for civil rights?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the "Drum Major Instinct." What is the "Drum Major Instinct"? How did it develop? Upon what is it based ? What is the "Drum Major Instinct's" importance to the Civil Rights Movement? Why did Dr. King find it necessary to design a sermon around the "Drum Major Instinct"?
Essay Topic 3
What role did Martin Luther King, Jr., have in the Civil Rights Movement? What were his titles and his involvement within each title? How did King use his influence to possess each leadership role?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)