|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of one of the African American leaders that argued for the African American need for self-respect and self-help?
(a) Ella Fitzgerald.
(b) Marcus Garvey.
(c) Jonathon Swift.
(d) Michael Schwerner.
2. According to the chapter "Black Power Defined," what is the "nettlesome task of Negros" today?
(a) How to show their importance.
(b) How to tell their story.
(c) How to prove that there is a need for change.
(d) How to organize their strength.
3. Who claimed that the victims of the American military were often people of color?
(a) W.E.B. DuBois.
(b) Dr. King.
(c) President Eisenhower.
(d) John F. Kennedy.
4. What church was Ebenezer Baptist Church an outgrowth of?
(a) First Congressional Church.
(b) First Baptist Church.
(c) 16th Street Baptist Church.
(d) Wheat Street Baptist Church.
5. According to Chapter 12:"Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech," who was the great shaman of the Nation of Islam?
(a) Louis Farrakhan.
(b) Benjamin F. Chavis, Jr.
(c) Elijah Muhammad.
(d) Malcolm X.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the ethnicity of the people who attended the anti-war demonstration that Dr. King led?
2. In 1964, what party was refused a seat by the Democratic National Convention?
3. When did Dr. King deliver his last SCLC presidential address?
4. According to Chapter 18: "Where Do We Go From Here," what "spawned" the Cold War?
5. On what date was the Civil Rights Bill of 1964 signed?
Short Essay Questions
1. In King's speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", why did Martin Luther King, Jr., claim that the Negro had been "confined to the life of voicelessness and powerlessness"?
2. In King's speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", what did Martin Luther King, Jr., claim was the creed of the Negro's self-affirmation?
3. What were the circumstances that surrounded King's "Eulogy for the Martyred Children"?
4. According to the summary in the introduction of Chapter 18: "Where Do We Go From Here?", what were the circumstances that surrounded King's last and most radical address to the Southern Christian Leadership Conference presidential address?
5. According to the summary in Chapter 19: "The Drum Major Instinct," what was the importance of the black church in the African American culture?
6. According to King's speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", what is the only answer to mankind's problems?
7. Describe the circumstances surrounding King's "I Have a Dream" speech.
8. What did Martin Luther King, Jr., claim needed to be done to begin America's extraction from the war in Vietnam?
9. According to King's speech "I Have A Dream," the song "America" needed to be sung, and believed, by all that sang it. Name three things that King wanted freedom to ring from.
10. In his speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", Martin Luther King, Jr. stated that the United States mishandled money in regard to its own people. According to King, how did the United States misappropriate funds?
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)