|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What work did Dr. King publish, according to Chapter 11 ("I Have A Dream"), when he was considered the "prophet of the hour"?
(a) "Why We Can't Wait."
(b) "I've Been to the Mountaintop."
(c) "What Is Your Life's Blueprint?"
(d) "The Three Dimensions of a Complete Life."
2. Whose administration war policies did Dr. King attack when he delivered his most historic and controversial statement tying the war and the Civil Rights Movement together?
3. When did the war between the U.S. and the Soviet Union begin and end?
4. When did W.E.B. DuBois die?
(a) June 24, 1957.
(b) October 18, 1964.
(c) June 11, 1964.
(d) August 27, 1963.
5. According to Chapter 19: "The Drum Major Instinct," what were considered the religious parents of the African American culture?
(a) Black churches.
(c) Prayer meetings.
(d) Mission work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of one of the African American leaders that argued for the African American need for self-respect and self-help?
2. Who began to question President Eisenhower's commitment to more troops in Vietnam?
3. What national convention did Reverend A.D. Williams, Martin Luther King, Sr.'s, maternal grandfather, found?
4. What was Martin Luther King, Sr.'s, nickname?
5. What church was bombed that led Dr. King to deliver a sermon at the funeral of the little girls killed during the bombing?
Short Essay Questions
1. In King's speech "Where Do We Go From Here?," what did King mean by "as long as a mind is enslaved, the body can never be free"?
2. In King's speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", what did Martin Luther King, Jr., claim was the creed of the Negro's self-affirmation?
3. According to King's speech "A Time to Break Silence," who was the most "vicious modern dictator"?
4. In King's speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", why did Martin Luther King, Jr., claim that the Negro had been "confined to the life of voicelessness and powerlessness"?
5. What did King, in his speech "A Time to Break Silence," claim the Vietnamese watched Americans do during the Vietnam War?
6. In his speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", Martin Luther King, Jr. stated that the United States mishandled money in regard to its own people. According to King, how did the United States misappropriate funds?
7. According to King's speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", what is the only answer to mankind's problems?
8. What prompted the Nobel Peace Prize committee to search for the "greatest apostle of peace" in 1964?
9. What was the reasoning behind King's speech on March 25, 1967?
10. According the introduction of Chapter 18: "Where Do We Go From Here?", what happened in the United States during the Cold War to upset the Civil Rights Movement?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)