|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what date was the church bombed that killed the little girls where Dr. King delivered the funeral sermon?
(a) October 17, 1960.
(b) December 5, 1955.
(c) June 17, 1956.
(d) September 15, 1963.
2. What quote from a civil rights hymn did President Johnson quote before a joint session of Congress in 1965?
(a) "We shall not be moved!"
(b) "Keep your eyes on the prize!"
(c) "We shall overcome!"
(d) "Oh freedom!"
3. According to Chapter 12:"Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech," who was the great shaman of the Nation of Islam?
(a) Malcolm X.
(b) Louis Farrakhan.
(c) Elijah Muhammad.
(d) Benjamin F. Chavis, Jr.
4. Why were Western nations uncomfortable with the USSR?
(a) Because it still allowed slavery.
(b) Because it allowed Africans to hold public offices.
(c) Because it spoke out against the U.S.
(d) Because it espoused communism.
5. How many people attended Dr. King's first anti-war demonstration?
(a) More than 5,000.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of one of the African American leaders that argued for the African American need for self-respect and self-help?
2. On what date did Dr. King deliver his most historic and controversial statement tying the war and the Civil Rights Movement together?
3. Where did Dr. King deliver his last SCLC presidential address?
4. What must people of oppression accumulate to realize deliverance?
5. Who was murdered on February 21, 1965, in New York City?
Short Essay Questions
1. In King's speech "Where Do We Go From Here?," what did King mean by "as long as a mind is enslaved, the body can never be free"?
2. Why did Martin Luther King, Jr., describe Americans as "strange liberators" in "A Time to Break Silence"?
3. What did Martin Luther King, Jr., claim needed to be done to begin America's extraction from the war in Vietnam?
4. In his speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", Martin Luther King, Jr. stated that the United States mishandled money in regard to its own people. According to King, how did the United States misappropriate funds?
5. Why did the Southern Christian Leadership Conference make their motto "To save the soul of America"?
6. According to King's speech "I Have A Dream," who should be able to allow freedom to ring? Who did King include when he named the groups that should be allowed to "let freedom ring"?
7. What did King, in his speech "A Time to Break Silence," claim the Vietnamese watched Americans do during the Vietnam War?
8. According to King's speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", what is the only answer to mankind's problems?
9. According the introduction of Chapter 18: "Where Do We Go From Here?", what happened in the United States during the Cold War to upset the Civil Rights Movement?
10. In King's speech "Black Power Defined," King declared that the "economic highway to power has few entry lanes for Negroes." How did he explain the meaning behind this statement?
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)