|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the police chief who ordered his officers to turn hoses on demonstrators during the registration of black students at its state university?
(a) "Bull" Connor.
(b) William J. Bratton.
(c) Thomas Byrnes.
(d) William Plinkerton.
2. What national convention did Reverend A.D. Williams, Martin Luther King, Sr.'s, maternal grandfather, found?
(a) National African American Convention.
(b) National Pastoral Convention.
(c) National Religious Convention.
(d) National Baptist Convention.
3. According to Chapter 12:"Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech," who was the great shaman of the Nation of Islam?
(a) Louis Farrakhan.
(b) Elijah Muhammad.
(c) Benjamin F. Chavis, Jr.
(d) Malcolm X.
4. Who introduced Dr. King for his last and final sermon?
(a) Stokely Carmichael.
(b) Ralph Abernathy.
(c) Michael Schwerner.
(d) Lyndon B. Johnson.
5. When did Dr. King deliver his last SCLC presidential address?
(a) December 5, 1967.
(b) August 16, 1967.
(c) January 1, 1970.
(d) October 28, 1975.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 19: "The Drum Major Instinct," what were considered the religious parents of the African American culture?
2. Who began to question President Eisenhower's commitment to more troops in Vietnam?
3. What two cities had riots erupt on July 18, 1964?
4. What memorial was the background for Dr. King's "I Have A Dream" speech?
5. On what date was President John F. Kennedy assassinated?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to King's speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", what is the only answer to mankind's problems?
2. According to King's speech "A Time to Break Silence," who was the most "vicious modern dictator"?
3. Why did the Southern Christian Leadership Conference make their motto "To save the soul of America"?
4. Martin Luther King, Jr., stated five dreams during his "I Have A Dream" speech. What were three of his "dreams"?
5. What did Martin Luther King, Jr., claim to be ironic about America's tension with the National Liberation Front?
6. In his speech "Where Do We Go From Here?", Martin Luther King, Jr. stated that the United States mishandled money in regard to its own people. According to King, how did the United States misappropriate funds?
7. According to the summary in Chapter 19: "The Drum Major Instinct," what was the importance of the black church in the African American culture?
8. Describe the circumstances surrounding King's "I Have a Dream" speech.
9. In King's speech "Where Do We Go From Here?," what did King mean by "as long as a mind is enslaved, the body can never be free"?
10. Why did political rightists, described in the introduction of Chapter 18: "Where Do We Go From Here?," claim that Martin Luther King, Jr., was unpatriotic?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)