|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two organizations denounced violent actions relating to desegregation acts?
(a) NAACP and SCLC.
(b) MIA and BCA.
(c) NAACP and BCA.
(d) SCLC and MIA.
2. What were the nicknames of the African Americans who traveled from state to state even though they were prohibited from doing so because of white co-passengers?
(b) Freedom Riders.
(d) Freedom Challengers.
3. What position did Dr. King, while thirty-one, accept at a Baptist church?
(b) Youth pastor.
4. What Illinois city approved a plan that prevented the erection of an interracial housing development on December 21, 1959?
(c) Du Quoin.
5. What is the name of the university where the SNCC was began?
(a) Campbell University.
(b) Methodist University.
(c) Wake Forrest University.
(d) Shaw University.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first president of the Montgomery Improvement Association?
2. What two organizations invited Dr. King to speak at the University of California at Berkeley on June 4, 1957?
3. Who went with Dr. and Mrs. King to India during their stay from February 2 to March 10, 1959?
4. Dr. King reached out to his extensive religious contacts, including the National Baptist Convention, to organize what conference?
5. Dr. King wanted to make sure that advocates of Black Consciousness did not associate racial pride with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on December 5, 1955?
2. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," why had some African Americans become cynical and disillusioned?
3. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," why is racial injustice a national, and not a sectional, problem?
4. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," why did the young blacks need to begin to look at their future in a different light?
5. What were the reasons that King's trip to India kept getting put off?
6. What was ironic about King's entry into the Crozer Theological Seminary in September of 1948?
7. According to "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools," what would "this generation" not take?
8. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what were the successful precedents that showed that civil rights could be obtained peacefully?
9. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what were some of the factors that led to a new sense of self-respect on the part of the African American?
10. According to King's speech "Our Struggle," what were blacks asking for as part of the "southern pattern"?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)