|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Illinois city approved a plan that prevented the erection of an interracial housing development on December 21, 1959?
(d) Du Quoin.
2. What demonstration was held at Rainbow Beach in Chicago?
3. When did the Montgomery Bus boycott begin?
(a) October 1, 1955.
(b) December 1, 1965.
(c) October 1, 1965.
(d) December 5, 1955.
4. What group organized the first integrated group of interstate travelers?
5. Why was Dr. King in jail while writing the "Letter from a Birmingham Jail"?
(a) Participating in civil rights demonstrations.
(b) Participating in a conference for racial equality.
(c) Riding on an interstate bus with other activists.
(d) Eating with a white man at a "White Only" diner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the dates of the demonstration at Rainbow Beach in Chicago?
2. Who was the head of the Nation of Islam in 1960?
3. How long did it take for Dr. King's address to students at Berkeley (1957) to be published?
4. Where did Martin Luther King, Jr., attend school to obtain his Bachelor of Divinity degree?
5. When associated with the Civil Rights Movement, what did demonstrators consider their arrests?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on December 5, 1955?
2. According to King's speech "Our Struggle," what would it take for the "master race" to civilize African Americans "to a degree"?
3. According to "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools," what would have happened in the United States if the country were to gain three million "southern Negro" votes?
4. According to King's speech "Our Struggle," what were blacks asking for as part of the "southern pattern"?
5. According to "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools," why was it difficult for young people to realize the effectiveness of nonviolence in the Civil Rights Movement?
6. According to King's speech "Our Struggle," why did many black men lose their self-respect?
7. According to "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools," what would "this generation" not take?
8. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," why had some African Americans become cynical and disillusioned?
9. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what were the successful precedents that showed that civil rights could be obtained peacefully?
10. What were the three reasons that blacks gave when asked why they did not expect the Montgomery Bus Boycott to succeed?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)