|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the dates of the demonstration at Rainbow Beach in Chicago?
(a) December 5 and 7, 1961.
(b) August 5 and 9, 1961.
(c) July 9 and 16, 1961.
(d) June 5 and 7, 1961.
2. What position did Dr. King, while thirty-one, accept at a Baptist church?
(b) Youth pastor.
3. Where did Martin Luther King, Jr., attend school to obtain his Bachelor of Divinity degree?
(a) Southern Baptist Seminary.
(b) Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.
(c) Crozer Theological Seminary.
(d) Fuller Theological Seminary.
4. What did Dr. King plead with Americans not to default upon during his "I Have A Dream" speech?
(a) Promise to form a better nation.
(b) Promise to move forward with equality.
(c) Indebtedness to the spirit and principle of democracy.
(d) Completeness of pride and honor towards their nation.
5. What laws did African American interstate travelers ignore during their public transportation across state lines?
(a) White Flight.
(b) Minority Travel Limitations.
(c) Uncle Tom.
(d) Jim Crow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who went with Dr. and Mrs. King to India during their stay from February 2 to March 10, 1959?
2. On what date did the head of the Nation of Islam call upon African Americans to form a state of their own?
3. When was the first march supporting racial desegregation held in Washington, D.C.?
4. What did the civil rights bill, signed on September 9, 1957, establish?
5. How old was Martin Luther King, Jr., when Gandhi was assassinated?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what were the problems associated with the shift from rural to urban life for African Americans?
2. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what were some of the factors that led to a new sense of self-respect on the part of the African American?
3. What were the three reasons that blacks gave when asked why they did not expect the Montgomery Bus Boycott to succeed?
4. According to King's speech "Our Struggle," there were eight descriptions of the "New Negro." What were three of the eight of the descriptions?
5. According to King's speech "Our Struggle," what would it take for the "master race" to civilize African Americans "to a degree"?
6. According to King's speech "The Rising Tide of Racial Consciousness," what were the successful precedents that showed that civil rights could be obtained peacefully?
7. According to King's speech "Our Struggle," why did he think that white people thought blacks deserved (and enjoyed) second-class status?
8. What was ironic about King's entry into the Crozer Theological Seminary in September of 1948?
9. What happened on December 5, 1955?
10. What happened on December 1, 1955, to initiate the forward movement of the Civil Rights Movement?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)