|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Despite opposition, what two universities did President John F. Kennedy authorize federal marshals to accompany black students to registration?
(a) Universities of Mississippi and Alabama.
(b) Universities of Florida and Louisiana.
(c) Universities of Georgia and Ohio.
(d) Universities of North and South Carolina.
2. In what city did Dr. King deliver his last sermon?
3. According to Chapter 18: "Where Do We Go From Here," what "spawned" the Cold War?
(a) Mutual fear and hostility.
(b) Mild disagreements.
(d) Need for power.
4. What was found on a farm near Philadelphia, Mississippi, on August 4, 1964?
(a) A lynched black man.
(b) An unfinished speech written by Dr. King.
(c) Anti-equality propaganda in the form of a barn painting.
(d) Three dead bodies of civil rights workers.
5. Who began to question President Eisenhower's commitment to more troops in Vietnam?
(a) People outside the United States.
(b) People in the military.
(c) People of color.
(d) People of conscience.
6. On what date was the church bombed that killed the little girls where Dr. King delivered the funeral sermon?
(a) October 17, 1960.
(b) June 17, 1956.
(c) December 5, 1955.
(d) September 15, 1963.
7. What kind of testing was banned on February 4, 1965, used to deny rights to vote?
8. According to the chapter "Black Power Defined," what do the powerless never experience?
9. What two cities had riots erupt on July 18, 1964?
(a) Harlem and Brooklyn.
(b) New York City and Charleston.
(c) Dallas and St. Louis.
(d) Memphis and Birmingham.
10. What year was the Ebenezer Baptist church formed?
11. What percentage of African Americans registered in Alabama voted in Alabama's Democratic Primary?
(a) 20 percent.
(b) Over 80 percent.
(c) 50 percent.
(d) Over 95 percent.
12. At what church did Dr. King deliver his most historic and controversial statement tying the war and the Civil Rights Movement together?
(a) Riverside Church.
(b) Wanderings Church.
(c) First Baptist Church.
(d) Morningside Baptist Church.
13. What church was Ebenezer Baptist Church an outgrowth of?
(a) First Baptist Church.
(b) Wheat Street Baptist Church.
(c) 16th Street Baptist Church.
(d) First Congressional Church.
14. In what year was Dr. King's book Where Do We Go From Here: Chaos or Community published?
15. Why did the West fear the USSR?
(a) Because of the influence of the USSR's leaders throughout the world.
(b) Because of the use of communistic law.
(c) Because of the fear of the re-establishment of slavery.
(d) Because of the possible spread of communism throughout the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the publication date from Dr. King's article from Chapter 17: "Black Power Defined"?
2. When did W.E.B. DuBois die?
3. According to Chapter 20: "I See the Promised Land," what did Dr. King have a deep sense of?
4. What was the name of the war primarily between the U.S. and the Soviet Union?
5. What was Martin Luther King, Sr.'s, nickname?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)