|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year was the atom bombed dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
2. What year was considered a momentous year in American history and in the life of Martin Luther King, Jr.?
3. When did W.E.B. DuBois die?
(a) June 24, 1957.
(b) June 11, 1964.
(c) August 27, 1963.
(d) October 18, 1964.
4. Where did Dr. King accept his Nobel Peace Prize?
(a) Madrid, Spain.
(b) Halmstad, Sweden.
(c) Oslo, Norway.
(d) Paris, France.
5. What years did Frederick Douglas live?
6. According to the footnotes on Chapter 20: "I See the Promise Land," who is Judge Hooks?
(a) Dr. Arthur Hooks.
(b) Reverend Thomas Hooks.
(c) Reverend Dr. Benjamin Hooks.
(d) Dr. Terrance Hooks.
7. What year did Martin Luther King, Sr., die?
8. What year was the Ebenezer Baptist church formed?
9. What did Dr. King's article from Chapter 17: "Black Power Defined" discuss?
(a) African American men and their role in the family.
(b) African American nationalism being embraced by the black community.
(c) African Americans' need to vote.
(d) African Americans in the war.
10. Who began to question President Eisenhower's commitment to more troops in Vietnam?
(a) People of conscience.
(b) People in the military.
(c) People of color.
(d) People outside the United States.
11. What work did Dr. King publish, according to Chapter 11 ("I Have A Dream"), when he was considered the "prophet of the hour"?
(a) "Why We Can't Wait."
(b) "The Three Dimensions of a Complete Life."
(c) "I've Been to the Mountaintop."
(d) "What Is Your Life's Blueprint?"
12. In what year was Dr. King's book Where Do We Go From Here: Chaos or Community published?
13. What national convention did Reverend A.D. Williams, Martin Luther King, Sr.'s, maternal grandfather, found?
(a) National African American Convention.
(b) National Pastoral Convention.
(c) National Baptist Convention.
(d) National Religious Convention.
14. How many people were arrested during the demonstrations in Selma, Alabama?
15. What memorial was the background for Dr. King's "I Have A Dream" speech?
(a) Jefferson Memorial.
(b) Lincoln Memorial.
(c) George Mason Memorial.
(d) Washington Monument.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did President Eisenhower claim encouraged American military involvement around the globe?
2. On what date were excerpts from the sermon from Chapter 19: "The Drum Major Instinct" played for Dr. King's nationally televised funeral service?
3. When did Dr. King deliver his last, and greatest, sermon?
4. What is the name of one of the African American leaders that argued for the African American need for self-respect and self-help?
5. What was the name of the war primarily between the U.S. and the Soviet Union?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)