|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Dr. King deliver his last SCLC presidential address?
(a) October 28, 1975.
(b) August 16, 1967.
(c) January 1, 1970.
(d) December 5, 1967.
2. What church was bombed that led Dr. King to deliver a sermon at the funeral of the little girls killed during the bombing?
(a) First Baptist Church of Montgomery.
(b) First Baptist Church.
(c) Southern Baptist Church of Virginia.
(d) 16th Street Baptist Church.
3. On what date was the Civil Rights Bill of 1964 signed?
(a) July 4.
(b) June 12.
(c) July 2.
(d) June 7.
4. According to the chapter "Black Power Defined," what do the "powerful" never lose?
5. What did President Eisenhower claim encouraged American military involvement around the globe?
(a) A "military that cared about the nation."
(b) A "military formed by the different."
(c) A "military-industrial complex."
(d) A "military financed by the people."
6. Who did Dr. King go to help in Memphis, Tennessee, during a strike against unfair labor practices?
(a) African American dock loaders.
(b) African American factory linesmen.
(c) African American farm workers.
(d) African American sanitation workers.
7. What was the name of the police chief who ordered his officers to turn hoses on demonstrators during the registration of black students at its state university?
(a) William Plinkerton.
(b) "Bull" Connor.
(c) William J. Bratton.
(d) Thomas Byrnes.
8. What is the name of one of the African American leaders that argued for the African American need for self-respect and self-help?
(a) Michael Schwerner.
(b) Jonathon Swift.
(c) Marcus Garvey.
(d) Ella Fitzgerald.
9. When did the demonstrations in Selma, Alabama, reach their worst problems?
(a) April 1 and 4, 1967.
(b) March 1 and 4, 1966.
(c) June 1 and 4, 1968.
(d) February 1 and 4, 1965.
10. What work did Dr. King publish, according to Chapter 11 ("I Have A Dream"), when he was considered the "prophet of the hour"?
(a) "I've Been to the Mountaintop."
(b) "The Three Dimensions of a Complete Life."
(c) "What Is Your Life's Blueprint?"
(d) "Why We Can't Wait."
11. What percentage of African Americans registered in Alabama voted in Alabama's Democratic Primary?
(a) Over 95 percent.
(b) 20 percent.
(c) Over 80 percent.
(d) 50 percent.
12. When did Dr. King speak publicly in an anti-war demonstration?
(a) June 25, 1967.
(b) March 25, 1967.
(c) April 25, 1967.
(d) October 25, 1967.
13. What was the date that Dr. King delivered his "I Have A Dream" speech?
(a) October 19, 1956.
(b) July 19, 1957.
(c) August 28, 1963.
(d) December 5, 1955.
14. On what date did Dr. King give the sermon from Chapter 19: "The Drum Major Instinct" at Ebenezer Baptist Church?
(a) February 4, 1968.
(b) March 17, 1968.
(c) December 5, 1967.
(d) October 12, 1967.
15. What street did Dr. King live on while growing up and while his father was pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church?
(a) Auburn Avenue.
(b) North Drive.
(c) Platter Avenue.
(d) Hunter Drive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Dr. King's political sentiments?
2. Where did Dr. King speak publicly in an anti-war demonstration?
3. Who began to question President Eisenhower's commitment to more troops in Vietnam?
4. What was the broad strategy of the Black Power Movement?
5. Why did Dr. King admit that he felt depressed prior to giving the speech in Chapter 20: "I See the Promise Land"?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)