|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was sworn into the presidency following the assassination of JFK?
(a) Lyndon Johnson.
(b) Gerald R. Ford.
(c) Richard M. Nixon.
(d) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
2. Despite the Civil Rights Act of 1964, what were African Americans still denied in some parts of the South?
(a) Holding government office.
(b) Owning businesses.
(d) Attending school.
3. According to the chapter "Black Power Defined," what do the "powerful" never lose?
4. When did the war between the U.S. and the Soviet Union begin and end?
5. What was found on a farm near Philadelphia, Mississippi, on August 4, 1964?
(a) Anti-equality propaganda in the form of a barn painting.
(b) An unfinished speech written by Dr. King.
(c) A lynched black man.
(d) Three dead bodies of civil rights workers.
6. How many people attended Dr. King's first anti-war demonstration?
(a) More than 5,000.
7. On what date did Dr. King accept his Nobel Peace Prize?
(a) October 16, 1964.
(b) June 11, 1964.
(c) December 10, 1964.
(d) January 30, 1964.
8. What were Dr. King's political sentiments?
(a) Liberal Republican.
(b) Liberal Democrat.
(c) Democratic Socialist.
(d) Republican Socialist.
9. In what year was Dr. King's book Where Do We Go From Here: Chaos or Community published?
10. Where did Dr. King deliver his last sermon?
(a) Town square.
(b) City Hall.
(c) A Masonic temple.
(d) A Baptist church.
11. According to Chapter 18: "Where Do We Go From Here," what did political rightists accuse Dr. King?
(a) Being too supportive.
(b) Being too patriotic.
(c) Being to forward thinking.
(d) Being unpatriotic.
12. During the Cold War, what were civil rights activists accused of being?
(d) Unappreciative and un-American.
13. Who published Dr. King's book Where Do We Go From Here: Chaos or Community?
(a) Harper and Row.
(b) Viacom Inc.
(c) Harper Collins.
(d) Random House.
14. What national convention did Reverend A.D. Williams, Martin Luther King, Sr.'s, maternal grandfather, found?
(a) National Religious Convention.
(b) National African American Convention.
(c) National Pastoral Convention.
(d) National Baptist Convention.
15. On what date did Dr. King give the sermon from Chapter 19: "The Drum Major Instinct" at Ebenezer Baptist Church?
(a) March 17, 1968.
(b) October 12, 1967.
(c) February 4, 1968.
(d) December 5, 1967.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who began to question President Eisenhower's commitment to more troops in Vietnam?
2. Where did Dr. King speak publicly in an anti-war demonstration?
3. What memorial was the background for Dr. King's "I Have A Dream" speech?
4. On what date was the church bombed that killed the little girls where Dr. King delivered the funeral sermon?
5. When did Dr. King deliver his last SCLC presidential address?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)