|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What president ordered federal marshals dispatched by Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy?
(a) John F. Kennedy.
(b) Richard Nixon.
(c) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(d) Lyndon B. Johnson.
2. What two organizations invited Dr. King to speak at the University of California at Berkeley on June 4, 1957?
(c) YMCA and YWCA.
3. What city in Tennessee had a race riot on February 23, 1960?
4. On what date was interstate traveling first challenged by an African American?
(a) April 1920.
(b) April 1885.
(c) April 1910.
(d) April 1905.
5. When did the African nation of Ghana acquire its independence from British rule?
(a) March 6, 1957.
(b) April 9, 1956.
(c) December 1, 1955.
(d) September 9, 1955.
6. What date did the Montgomery buses become integrated?
(a) October 21, 1956.
(b) October 21, 1957.
(c) December 21, 1956.
(d) December 21, 1957.
7. In Dr. King's "I Have A Dream" speech, what does King say all Americans hold that is signed by the founders of the United States?
(a) A "lottery ticket."
(b) A "promissory note."
(c) A "promise of intent."
(d) An "unpaid ticket."
8. What demonstration was held at Rainbow Beach in Chicago?
9. How many students participated in the first march in Washington, D.C., supporting racial desegregation?
10. When associated with the Civil Rights Movement, what did demonstrators consider their arrests?
(a) Proof of commitment.
(c) Unnecessary retaliation.
(d) Marks of honor.
11. What staff member from the SCLC helped young people from the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) to think for themselves?
(a) Mrs. Ella Baker.
(b) Mr. Jonathon Brown.
(c) Mr. Terrance Minders.
(d) Ms. Ella Fitzgerald.
12. What were the nicknames of the African Americans who traveled from state to state even though they were prohibited from doing so because of white co-passengers?
(b) Freedom Riders.
(c) Freedom Challengers.
13. Where was Martin Luther King, Jr., ordained to the Christian ministry?
(a) First Baptist Church of Montgomery.
(b) Morningside Baptist Church.
(c) Ebenezer Baptist Church.
(d) South Baptist Church.
14. What were the dates of the demonstration at Rainbow Beach in Chicago?
(a) June 5 and 7, 1961.
(b) August 5 and 9, 1961.
(c) July 9 and 16, 1961.
(d) December 5 and 7, 1961.
15. During what years did participation by African American churches in American public life surge?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of one of the first integrated group of interstate travelers that later served as Dr. King's chief strategists?
2. What major movement followed the Montgomery Bus Boycott and the Sit-In Movement?
3. With whom from the NAACP did Dr. King argue regarding non-violent movement against racism?
4. What was the name of the man whose daughter was the focus behind the Brown vs. Board (1954) court case?
5. How many student demonstrators were arrested in Nashville, Tennessee, on February 27, 1960?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)