|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year was Mohandas Gandhi assassinated?
2. What group organized the first integrated group of interstate travelers?
3. Why was Dr. King in jail while writing the "Letter from a Birmingham Jail"?
(a) Participating in civil rights demonstrations.
(b) Eating with a white man at a "White Only" diner.
(c) Riding on an interstate bus with other activists.
(d) Participating in a conference for racial equality.
4. What two organizations invited Dr. King to speak at the University of California at Berkeley on June 4, 1957?
(c) YMCA and YWCA.
5. What Democratic presidential candidate was running against Richard Nixon in 1960?
(a) Harry S. Truman.
(b) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(c) John Kennedy.
(d) Lyndon B. Johnson.
6. Where did Dr. King attend college during his undergraduate studies?
(a) Rhodes College.
(b) Rollins College.
(c) Birmingham-Southern College.
(d) Morehouse College.
7. During what years did participation by African American churches in American public life surge?
8. What laws did African American interstate travelers ignore during their public transportation across state lines?
(a) Uncle Tom.
(b) Jim Crow.
(c) Minority Travel Limitations.
(d) White Flight.
9. What was James Farmer's position with CORE?
(a) Account Manager.
(b) Vice President.
(c) National Director.
(d) Regional Supervisor.
10. What month did Dr. King address the First Annual Institute on Non-Violence and Social Change?
11. How many student demonstrators were arrested in Nashville, Tennessee, on February 27, 1960?
12. Who was the head of the Nation of Islam in 1960?
(a) Elijah Muhammad.
(b) Qubilah Shabazz.
(c) Louis Farrakhan.
(d) Malik Zulu Shabazz.
13. How many federal marshals were dispatched by Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy?
14. When was the first march supporting racial desegregation held in Washington, D.C.?
(a) December 5, 1957.
(b) December 5, 1955.
(c) October 25, 1955.
(d) October 25, 1958.
15. What city was the home to the beginning of the movement exemplified by eating at lunch counters next to Caucasians when it began February 1, 1960?
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. King reached out to his extensive religious contacts, including the National Baptist Convention, to organize what conference?
2. What Illinois city approved a plan that prevented the erection of an interracial housing development on December 21, 1959?
3. Who was the cause of Dr. King's injury on September 20, 1958?
4. When did the President remove the National Guard troops from the high school in Arkansas?
5. At what "Anniversary Conference" of the NUL did Dr. King deliver a speech?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)