|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What month did Dr. King address the First Annual Institute on Non-Violence and Social Change?
2. What demonstration was held at Rainbow Beach in Chicago?
3. Dr. King wanted to make sure that advocates of Black Consciousness did not associate racial pride with what?
(a) Racial discrimination.
(b) Racial isolationism.
(c) Racial stereotypes.
(d) Racial neglect.
4. At some points, how did Dr. King help to keep the SCLC's cash flow problems from shutting down due to financial ruin?
(a) King asked for donations from wealthy people.
(b) King put money from his speaking engagements into the SCLC.
(c) King worked multiple jobs to keep the SCLC afloat.
(d) King sold personal possessions to keep the SCLC afloat.
5. What was the date of James Farmer's trip from Washington, D.C., to the South?
(a) May 4, 1955.
(b) May 4, 1968.
(c) May 4, 1961.
(d) May 4, 1958.
6. What religious journal contained a summary of Dr. King's book Stride Toward Freedom?
(c) Common Threads.
7. What happened to Dr. King as he was signing books on September 20, 1958?
(a) He was punched.
(b) He was verbally assaulted.
(c) He was shot.
(d) He was stabbed.
8. What president ordered federal marshals dispatched by Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy?
(a) Lyndon B. Johnson.
(b) John F. Kennedy.
(c) Richard Nixon.
(d) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
9. When did the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) come into being?
(a) December 1-3, 1964.
(b) April 15-17, 1965.
(c) December 1-3, 1959.
(d) April 15-17, 1960.
10. What two organizations denounced violent actions relating to desegregation acts?
(a) NAACP and SCLC.
(b) MIA and BCA.
(c) SCLC and MIA.
(d) NAACP and BCA.
11. What did white racists bomb on September, 9 1957?
(a) Hattie Cotton Elementary School.
(b) Dr. King's home.
(c) Montgomery Bus Headquarters.
(d) The conference site for the MIA.
12. How many students participated in the first march in Washington, D.C., supporting racial desegregation?
13. What are attempts to attack laws and customs that prohibited African Americans from eating at lunch counters next to Caucasians called?
(b) Call to removal of ignorance.
(c) Refusal to move.
(d) Testing the system.
14. What county, on June 26, 1959, closed its entire school system rather than allow integration?
(a) Franklin County.
(b) Salem County.
(c) Bedford County.
(d) Prince Edward County.
15. What city in Tennessee had a race riot on February 23, 1960?
Short Answer Questions
1. What city was the home to the beginning of the movement exemplified by eating at lunch counters next to Caucasians when it began February 1, 1960?
2. Why did Dr. King submit his resignation as pastor of the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church?
3. What was James Farmer's position with CORE?
4. What did the civil rights bill, signed on September 9, 1957, establish?
5. Where was Martin Luther King, Jr., ordained to the Christian ministry?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)