|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What county, on June 26, 1959, closed its entire school system rather than allow integration?
(a) Bedford County.
(b) Franklin County.
(c) Salem County.
(d) Prince Edward County.
2. What did the civil rights bill, signed on September 9, 1957, establish?
(a) Equality for All Commission.
(b) Anti-Racial Commission.
(c) U.S. Civil Rights Commission.
(d) Self-Determination for Activists Commission.
3. At what "Anniversary Conference" of the NUL did Dr. King deliver a speech?
4. When did the Montgomery Bus boycott begin?
(a) October 1, 1965.
(b) December 1, 1965.
(c) December 5, 1955.
(d) October 1, 1955.
5. Where did Martin Luther King, Jr., attend school to obtain his Bachelor of Divinity degree?
(a) Fuller Theological Seminary.
(b) Crozer Theological Seminary.
(c) Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.
(d) Southern Baptist Seminary.
6. When did Dr. King write the "Letter from a Birmingham Jail"?
(a) April 16, 1963.
(b) May 28, 1955.
(c) October 3, 1959.
(d) June 24, 1957.
7. Where were the lunch counter sit-ins conducted on August 19 by the NAACP?
(d) Oklahoma City.
8. How old was Martin Luther King, Jr., when Gandhi was assassinated?
9. When did Dr. King celebrate his thirty-first (31) birthday?
(a) January 15, 1960.
(b) July 15, 1960.
(c) March 15, 1960.
(d) October 15, 1960.
10. How many students were expelled on March 2, 1960, by the Alabama Board of Education?
11. Who was the cause of Dr. King's injury on September 20, 1958?
(a) A black man.
(b) A white man.
(c) A white woman.
(d) A black woman.
12. What happened to Dr. King as he was signing books on September 20, 1958?
(a) He was verbally assaulted.
(b) He was stabbed.
(c) He was punched.
(d) He was shot.
13. Less than a week after the Youth March for Integrated Schools, a black youth was lynched. What was the name of this black youth?
(a) Ernest Green.
(b) Marcus Garvey.
(c) Clarence Mitchell, Jr.
(d) Mack Parker.
14. Why were organizations such as NAACP and the NUL formed?
(a) To form anti-government organizations.
(b) To form violent organizations legally.
(c) To make people angry.
(d) To resist Jim Crow laws.
15. How long did it take for Dr. King's address to students at Berkeley (1957) to be published?
(a) One year.
(b) One week.
(c) One month.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Dr. King submit his resignation as pastor of the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church?
2. What was the name of the man whose daughter was the focus behind the Brown vs. Board (1954) court case?
3. On what date did Rosa Parks refuse to give up her seat on a Montgomery bus?
4. Why was Dr. King in jail while writing the "Letter from a Birmingham Jail"?
5. What were the nicknames of the African Americans who traveled from state to state even though they were prohibited from doing so because of white co-passengers?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)