|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two organizations invited Dr. King to speak at the University of California at Berkeley on June 4, 1957?
(b) YMCA and YWCA.
2. What president announced the use of federal troops to escort nine children to high school in Arkansas?
3. When did the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) come into being?
(a) April 15-17, 1965.
(b) April 15-17, 1960.
(c) December 1-3, 1964.
(d) December 1-3, 1959.
4. What demonstration was held at Rainbow Beach in Chicago?
5. What is the name of the university where the SNCC was began?
(a) Shaw University.
(b) Wake Forrest University.
(c) Methodist University.
(d) Campbell University.
6. What is the date noted at the beginning of Chapter 4, "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools"?
7. Who were Dr. and Mrs. King guests of during their stay in India?
(a) Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
(b) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
(c) Prime Minister Morarji Desai.
(d) Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru.
8. During what years did participation by African American churches in American public life surge?
9. What Illinois city approved a plan that prevented the erection of an interracial housing development on December 21, 1959?
(b) Du Quoin.
10. When was the first march supporting racial desegregation held in Washington, D.C.?
(a) October 25, 1955.
(b) December 5, 1955.
(c) October 25, 1958.
(d) December 5, 1957.
11. What did white racists bomb on September, 9 1957?
(a) Hattie Cotton Elementary School.
(b) Dr. King's home.
(c) The conference site for the MIA.
(d) Montgomery Bus Headquarters.
12. What city in Tennessee had a race riot on February 23, 1960?
13. What religious journal contained a summary of Dr. King's book Stride Toward Freedom?
(a) Common Threads.
14. How many federal marshals were dispatched by Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy?
15. At some points, how did Dr. King help to keep the SCLC's cash flow problems from shutting down due to financial ruin?
(a) King asked for donations from wealthy people.
(b) King worked multiple jobs to keep the SCLC afloat.
(c) King put money from his speaking engagements into the SCLC.
(d) King sold personal possessions to keep the SCLC afloat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Less than a week after the Youth March for Integrated Schools, a black youth was lynched. What was the name of this black youth?
2. What happened to Dr. King as he was signing books on September 20, 1958?
3. Dr. King reached out to his extensive religious contacts, including the National Baptist Convention, to organize what conference?
4. What were the nicknames of the African Americans who traveled from state to state even though they were prohibited from doing so because of white co-passengers?
5. What does NUL stand for?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)