|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Montgomery Bus boycott begin?
(a) December 1, 1965.
(b) December 5, 1955.
(c) October 1, 1955.
(d) October 1, 1965.
2. What were the nicknames of the African Americans who traveled from state to state even though they were prohibited from doing so because of white co-passengers?
(a) Freedom Riders.
(c) Freedom Challengers.
3. Where did Dr. King attend college during his undergraduate studies?
(a) Rollins College.
(b) Birmingham-Southern College.
(c) Rhodes College.
(d) Morehouse College.
4. What was the name of the first African American to challenge interstate travel bans?
(a) Emmett Till.
(b) Thurgood Marshall.
(c) Stokely Carmichael.
(d) T. McCants Stewart.
5. Where were the lunch counter sit-ins conducted on August 19 by the NAACP?
(c) Oklahoma City.
6. What is the date noted at the beginning of Chapter 4, "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools"?
7. What did the assailant ask Dr. King right before his assault on September 20, 1958?
(a) "Are you responsible for all this civil rights nonsense?"
(b) "Is this your book?"
(c) "Are you Martin Luther King?"
(d) "Are you crazy?"
8. What did white racists bomb on September, 9 1957?
(a) The conference site for the MIA.
(b) Hattie Cotton Elementary School.
(c) Montgomery Bus Headquarters.
(d) Dr. King's home.
9. What demonstration was held at Rainbow Beach in Chicago?
10. What date did the Montgomery buses become integrated?
(a) October 21, 1957.
(b) October 21, 1956.
(c) December 21, 1956.
(d) December 21, 1957.
11. During what years did participation by African American churches in American public life surge?
12. What position did Dr. King, while thirty-one, accept at a Baptist church?
(c) Youth pastor.
13. What were the dates of the demonstration at Rainbow Beach in Chicago?
(a) August 5 and 9, 1961.
(b) June 5 and 7, 1961.
(c) December 5 and 7, 1961.
(d) July 9 and 16, 1961.
14. What group organized the first integrated group of interstate travelers?
15. When did the President remove the National Guard troops from the high school in Arkansas?
(a) May 19, 1957.
(b) December 1, 1955.
(c) May 8, 1958.
(d) August 9, 1957.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous black child psychologist embraced the liberal idea that where there is no equal opportunity to succeed there can be no social equality?
2. Dr. King wanted to make sure that advocates of Black Consciousness did not associate racial pride with what?
3. What was James Farmer's position with CORE?
4. What was the date of Dr. King's first national address?
5. How many students were expelled on March 2, 1960, by the Alabama Board of Education?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)