|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Dr. King write the "Letter from a Birmingham Jail"?
(a) April 16, 1963.
(b) May 28, 1955.
(c) June 24, 1957.
(d) October 3, 1959.
2. What was the date of Dr. King's first national address?
(a) October 17, 1959.
(b) May 17, 1957.
(c) August 17, 1955.
(d) September 17, 1956.
3. How many student demonstrators were arrested in Nashville, Tennessee, on February 27, 1960?
4. What did the civil rights bill, signed on September 9, 1957, establish?
(a) Anti-Racial Commission.
(b) Self-Determination for Activists Commission.
(c) U.S. Civil Rights Commission.
(d) Equality for All Commission.
5. How many students participated in the first march in Washington, D.C., supporting racial desegregation?
6. What happened to James Farmer's bus as he was traveling from Washington, D.C., to the South?
(a) It was run off of the road by the KKK.
(b) It was painted during an overnight stop to look like a Dixie flag.
(c) It was bombed and burned.
(d) It was disabled (engine tampering) by white activists.
7. Who went with Dr. and Mrs. King to India during their stay from February 2 to March 10, 1959?
(a) Dr. Lawrence D. Reddick.
(b) Dr. John P. Oswalt.
(c) Dr. David T. Bauer.
(d) Dr. Brian S. Edgar
8. What two organizations denounced violent actions relating to desegregation acts?
(a) NAACP and SCLC.
(b) MIA and BCA.
(c) NAACP and BCA.
(d) SCLC and MIA.
9. What is the date noted at the beginning of Chapter 4, "Speech Before the Youth March for Integrated Schools"?
10. Who were Dr. and Mrs. King guests of during their stay in India?
(a) Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
(b) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
(c) Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru.
(d) Prime Minister Morarji Desai.
11. Who was the cause of Dr. King's injury on September 20, 1958?
(a) A black man.
(b) A white woman.
(c) A black woman.
(d) A white man.
12. From whom did Dr. King say he learned about nonviolent resistance?
(a) Martin Luther King, Sr.
(b) Clarence Mitchell, Jr.
(c) Reverend Theodore J. Jemison.
(d) Rosa Parks.
13. Who was the head of the Nation of Islam in 1960?
(a) Elijah Muhammad.
(b) Qubilah Shabazz.
(c) Louis Farrakhan.
(d) Malik Zulu Shabazz.
14. What is the name of the university where the SNCC was began?
(a) Wake Forrest University.
(b) Shaw University.
(c) Methodist University.
(d) Campbell University.
15. What group organized the first integrated group of interstate travelers?
Short Answer Questions
1. What Democratic presidential candidate was running against Richard Nixon in 1960?
2. What demonstration was held at Rainbow Beach in Chicago?
3. What two organizations invited Dr. King to speak at the University of California at Berkeley on June 4, 1957?
4. Dr. King reached out to his extensive religious contacts, including the National Baptist Convention, to organize what conference?
5. What president ordered federal marshals dispatched by Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)