|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were the lunch counter sit-ins conducted on August 19 by the NAACP?
(c) Oklahoma City.
2. What two organizations denounced violent actions relating to desegregation acts?
(a) NAACP and SCLC.
(b) SCLC and MIA.
(c) MIA and BCA.
(d) NAACP and BCA.
3. What were the nicknames of the African Americans who traveled from state to state even though they were prohibited from doing so because of white co-passengers?
(b) Freedom Challengers.
(c) Freedom Riders.
4. Dr. King reached out to his extensive religious contacts, including the National Baptist Convention, to organize what conference?
(a) Montgomery Christian Conference.
(b) Southern Christian Leadership Conference.
(c) Southern Religious Conference.
(d) Southern Baptist Conference.
5. What does NUL stand for?
(a) National Urban League.
(b) Necessary Under Law.
(c) Ninth Unity League.
(d) National Uniform League.
6. What group organized the first integrated group of interstate travelers?
7. What president ordered federal marshals dispatched by Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy?
(a) Richard Nixon.
(b) John F. Kennedy.
(c) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(d) Lyndon B. Johnson.
8. Where did Dr. King move days after his thirty-first birthday?
(a) Knoxville, Tennessee.
(b) Mobile, Alabama.
(c) Newnan, Georgia.
(d) Atlanta, Georgia.
9. What was the name of the high school that nine black children attended under surveillance of federal troops, in Arkansas?
(a) Central High School.
(b) Wesclin High School.
(c) Triad High School.
(d) Centralia West High School.
10. What religious journal contained a summary of Dr. King's book Stride Toward Freedom?
(d) Common Threads.
11. How many students were expelled on March 2, 1960, by the Alabama Board of Education?
12. What position did Dr. King, while thirty-one, accept at a Baptist church?
(b) Youth pastor.
13. What Democratic presidential candidate was running against Richard Nixon in 1960?
(a) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(b) John Kennedy.
(c) Harry S. Truman.
(d) Lyndon B. Johnson.
14. What is the date notated at the beginning of Chapter 3, "The Power of Nonviolence"?
15. During what years did participation by African American churches in American public life surge?
Short Answer Questions
1. What major movement followed the Montgomery Bus Boycott and the Sit-In Movement?
2. At some points, how did Dr. King help to keep the SCLC's cash flow problems from shutting down due to financial ruin?
3. Less than a week after the Youth March for Integrated Schools, a black youth was lynched. What was the name of this black youth?
4. When did Dr. King write the "Letter from a Birmingham Jail"?
5. What did the assailant ask Dr. King right before his assault on September 20, 1958?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)