|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what years did participation by African American churches in American public life surge?
2. When was the second march supporting racial desegregation held in Washington, D.C.?
(a) December 5, 1958.
(b) April 18, 1959.
(c) December 5, 1956.
(d) April 18, 1958.
3. What happened to Dr. King as he was signing books on September 20, 1958?
(a) He was stabbed.
(b) He was verbally assaulted.
(c) He was punched.
(d) He was shot.
4. What is the date notated at the beginning of Chapter 3, "The Power of Nonviolence"?
5. What major movement followed the Montgomery Bus Boycott and the Sit-In Movement?
(a) Freedom Ride.
(b) Freedom Summer.
(c) Black Panther Movement.
(d) March on Washington.
6. Where did Dr. King attend college during his undergraduate studies?
(a) Rollins College.
(b) Rhodes College.
(c) Morehouse College.
(d) Birmingham-Southern College.
7. Who went with Dr. and Mrs. King to India during their stay from February 2 to March 10, 1959?
(a) Dr. David T. Bauer.
(b) Dr. John P. Oswalt.
(c) Dr. Lawrence D. Reddick.
(d) Dr. Brian S. Edgar
8. What is the name of the university where the SNCC was began?
(a) Shaw University.
(b) Wake Forrest University.
(c) Methodist University.
(d) Campbell University.
9. At some points, how did Dr. King help to keep the SCLC's cash flow problems from shutting down due to financial ruin?
(a) King put money from his speaking engagements into the SCLC.
(b) King sold personal possessions to keep the SCLC afloat.
(c) King worked multiple jobs to keep the SCLC afloat.
(d) King asked for donations from wealthy people.
10. When did the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) come into being?
(a) April 15-17, 1965.
(b) December 1-3, 1964.
(c) December 1-3, 1959.
(d) April 15-17, 1960.
11. At what "Anniversary Conference" of the NUL did Dr. King deliver a speech?
12. What did white racists bomb on September, 9 1957?
(a) Montgomery Bus Headquarters.
(b) Hattie Cotton Elementary School.
(c) Dr. King's home.
(d) The conference site for the MIA.
13. How many federal marshals were dispatched by Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy?
14. What was the name of one of the first integrated group of interstate travelers that later served as Dr. King's chief strategists?
(a) Emmett Till.
(b) Reverend Oliver Brown.
(c) Louis Farrakhan.
(d) Bayard Rustin.
15. What city in Tennessee had a race riot on February 23, 1960?
Short Answer Questions
1. What staff member from the SCLC helped young people from the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) to think for themselves?
2. What two organizations denounced violent actions relating to desegregation acts?
3. On what date did the head of the Nation of Islam call upon African Americans to form a state of their own?
4. What religious journal contained a summary of Dr. King's book Stride Toward Freedom?
5. What was the date of James Farmer's trip from Washington, D.C., to the South?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)