|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book was Dr. King signing on September 20, 1958?
(a) <i>The Measure of a Man</i>.
(b) <i>Stride Toward Freedom</i>.
(c) <i>Strength to Love</i>.
(d) <i>Why We Can't Wait</i>.
2. Where was Martin Luther King, Jr., ordained to the Christian ministry?
(a) First Baptist Church of Montgomery.
(b) South Baptist Church.
(c) Ebenezer Baptist Church.
(d) Morningside Baptist Church.
3. What did the civil rights bill, signed on September 9, 1957, establish?
(a) Equality for All Commission.
(b) Anti-Racial Commission.
(c) Self-Determination for Activists Commission.
(d) U.S. Civil Rights Commission.
4. Dr. King wanted to make sure that advocates of Black Consciousness did not associate racial pride with what?
(a) Racial discrimination.
(b) Racial stereotypes.
(c) Racial neglect.
(d) Racial isolationism.
5. What Illinois city approved a plan that prevented the erection of an interracial housing development on December 21, 1959?
(c) Du Quoin.
6. Why did Dr. King submit his resignation as pastor of the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church?
(a) To devote himself full-time to the presidency of SCLC.
(b) To go on a worldwide self-realization pilgrimage.
(c) Because of problems with his congregation.
(d) To take care of his ailing grandmother.
7. What is the name of the university where the SNCC was began?
(a) Wake Forrest University.
(b) Shaw University.
(c) Campbell University.
(d) Methodist University.
8. When did the African nation of Ghana acquire its independence from British rule?
(a) September 9, 1955.
(b) March 6, 1957.
(c) December 1, 1955.
(d) April 9, 1956.
9. When associated with the Civil Rights Movement, what did demonstrators consider their arrests?
(b) Unnecessary retaliation.
(c) Marks of honor.
(d) Proof of commitment.
10. What group organized the first integrated group of interstate travelers?
11. From whom did Dr. King say he learned about nonviolent resistance?
(a) Clarence Mitchell, Jr.
(b) Reverend Theodore J. Jemison.
(c) Rosa Parks.
(d) Martin Luther King, Sr.
12. What president announced the use of federal troops to escort nine children to high school in Arkansas?
13. How many student demonstrators were arrested in Nashville, Tennessee, on February 27, 1960?
14. How many students were expelled on March 2, 1960, by the Alabama Board of Education?
15. Where were the lunch counter sit-ins conducted on August 19 by the NAACP?
(d) Oklahoma City.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the first march supporting racial desegregation held in Washington, D.C.?
2. Who were Dr. and Mrs. King guests of during their stay in India?
3. When did Dr. King write the "Letter from a Birmingham Jail"?
4. Who was the head of the Nation of Islam in 1960?
5. In Dr. King's "I Have A Dream" speech, what does King say all Americans hold that is signed by the founders of the United States?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)