|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does NUL stand for?
(a) Ninth Unity League.
(b) National Urban League.
(c) Necessary Under Law.
(d) National Uniform League.
2. Why did Dr. King submit his resignation as pastor of the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church?
(a) To take care of his ailing grandmother.
(b) To devote himself full-time to the presidency of SCLC.
(c) Because of problems with his congregation.
(d) To go on a worldwide self-realization pilgrimage.
3. When was the second march supporting racial desegregation held in Washington, D.C.?
(a) December 5, 1958.
(b) December 5, 1956.
(c) April 18, 1959.
(d) April 18, 1958.
4. On what date did the head of the Nation of Islam call upon African Americans to form a state of their own?
(a) July 31, 1960.
(b) July 4, 1960.
(c) January 1, 1960.
(d) December 5, 1960.
5. At what "Anniversary Conference" of the NUL did Dr. King deliver a speech?
6. Dr. King wanted to make sure that advocates of Black Consciousness did not associate racial pride with what?
(a) Racial isolationism.
(b) Racial neglect.
(c) Racial stereotypes.
(d) Racial discrimination.
7. How many students were expelled on March 2, 1960, by the Alabama Board of Education?
8. What book was Dr. King signing on September 20, 1958?
(a) Strength to Love.
(b) Why We Can't Wait.
(c) The Measure of a Man.
(d) Stride Toward Freedom.
9. What major movement followed the Montgomery Bus Boycott and the Sit-In Movement?
(a) Freedom Ride.
(b) March on Washington.
(c) Freedom Summer.
(d) Black Panther Movement.
10. What Democratic presidential candidate was running against Richard Nixon in 1960?
(a) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(b) Harry S. Truman.
(c) Lyndon B. Johnson.
(d) John Kennedy.
11. At some points, how did Dr. King help to keep the SCLC's cash flow problems from shutting down due to financial ruin?
(a) King worked multiple jobs to keep the SCLC afloat.
(b) King sold personal possessions to keep the SCLC afloat.
(c) King put money from his speaking engagements into the SCLC.
(d) King asked for donations from wealthy people.
12. Who was the head of the Nation of Islam in 1960?
(a) Malik Zulu Shabazz.
(b) Elijah Muhammad.
(c) Louis Farrakhan.
(d) Qubilah Shabazz.
13. What became a pseudonym for the Civil Rights Movement?
(a) Call to Voice.
(b) Free for All Persons.
(c) All Are Equal.
(d) Freedom Movement.
14. When did the African nation of Ghana acquire its independence from British rule?
(a) March 6, 1957.
(b) September 9, 1955.
(c) December 1, 1955.
(d) April 9, 1956.
15. What date did the Montgomery buses become integrated?
(a) October 21, 1956.
(b) December 21, 1957.
(c) December 21, 1956.
(d) October 21, 1957.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Illinois city approved a plan that prevented the erection of an interracial housing development on December 21, 1959?
2. When did the Montgomery Bus boycott begin?
3. What city in Tennessee had a race riot on February 23, 1960?
4. When did the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) come into being?
5. What county, on June 26, 1959, closed its entire school system rather than allow integration?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)