|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora offer the reader as she dispenses her advice and wisdom?
2. What newspaper is Nora given the change to write for, realizing her dream of being a journalist at the age of twenty-two?
3. What is the good that comes of Nora's husband's affair while she is pregnant?
4. How does Nora handle Bill's lies regarding Gennifer?
5. What did Nora never have while she was at the White House?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nora believe she was never propositioned by JFK?
2. Describe the success that happens on Nora's quest for the cabbage strudel.
3. What event leads to Nora's personal story of being an intern at the White House while JFK was President?
4. Describe Nora's desk environment.
5. Describe the way in which Nora share her one liners?
6. Describe Nora's job at the White House.
7. What are the advantages of Nora's neighborhood?
8. What does Nora believe makes a great story?
9. Describe Nora and Bill's relationship in the beginning?
10. What have books done for Nora, ever since she was a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nora describes her time as an intern at the White House while JFK served as President. That time in history is often viewed as glamourous and filled with public intrigue. Write an essay on the Kennedy White House. Include the social, political, and economic climate of the time period and how it influence the culture of the United States. Be sure to add in new articles, quotes, and relevant historical data. Cite your sources.
Essay Topic 2
Nora Ephron talks about losing her eyesight and being frustrated because she finds it increasingly difficult to read. Write an essay on the power of literacy. In what ways does literacy affect our entire life? From communication, to obtaining a job, to understanding a political action, to having an informed opinion, or simply in understanding the world around you, there are so many ways literacy is part of daily life. Discuss 3 ways that literacy has changed your life. Describe how and why literacy is so necessary. Be sure to include at least 3 examples in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Nora finishes her book with the chapter that discusses death. She says that aging is better than the alternative and that there is positive to be found in aging. Living life to its fullest is the best way to live. Enjoying everything as much as you can. Write an essay that supports these sentiments. Write an inspirational essay that encourages both yourself and others to life to the fullest. What does that mean to you? How would you go about executing that plan?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)