|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora perceive the hunt to find cabbage strudel to be?
2. What does Nora say is easy to do when it comes to advice?
3. How many times does Nora enter her own kitchen?
4. What does Nora savor after she has found the strudel?
5. What does one want to have when they are younger and could really use?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of discussing a lost food?
2. Why does Nora believe she was never propositioned by JFK?
3. Describe Nora's desk environment.
4. What have books done for Nora, ever since she was a child?
5. What are the advantages of Nora's apartment?
6. What is Nora's problem in college?
7. Describe the success that happens on Nora's quest for the cabbage strudel.
8. What is the theme of the chapter?
9. What does Nora begin talking about when describing her life in New York?
10. What is the relationship that Nora draws between the reader and a diver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every woman wants to look and feel beautiful. For many, it becomes an obsession. In an essay, write about the dangers of becoming obsessed with one's looks. Discuss the element of narcissism that is embedded into America's youth. What defines narcissism and how can it be avoided? Use contemporary examples from the pop world; singers, actors, rock stars, even politicians. How can narcissism become dangerous? Approach your essay psychologically but be sure to include evidence to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Nora talks about her friend Judy and Henry. Judy found a lump on her tongue and only lived for a year while Henry lived until he was eighty-two. Henry had time to prepare, so much so that he had a folder on his desktop that was titled "Exit". Write an essay comparing and contrasting the death experience of Judy and Henry. Write about 5 pros and 5 cons of each? Finally, how would like your life to play out?
Essay Topic 3
Nora finishes her book with the chapter that discusses death. She says that aging is better than the alternative and that there is positive to be found in aging. Living life to its fullest is the best way to live. Enjoying everything as much as you can. Write an essay that supports these sentiments. Write an inspirational essay that encourages both yourself and others to life to the fullest. What does that mean to you? How would you go about executing that plan?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)