|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What leads to Nora's personal story of being an intern at the White House while JFK was President?
2. During the writing of the script of what movie does Nora come face to face with a Rorschach, meaning that when you ask a group of people about a particular event, everyone will have a different answer?
3. What does Nora perceive the hunt to find cabbage strudel to be?
4. How does Nora feel when the story of Bill and Monica comes out?
5. Why does Nora think the advice she gives might not be heard?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nora feel about what happened between Bill and Monica?
2. What is the theme of the chapter?
3. What happens when Nora sees Bill on TV again?
4. What does Nora say everyone has moments of?
5. What does Nora begin talking about when describing her life in New York?
6. What does Nora say about wisdom?
7. What are the advantages of Nora's apartment?
8. What kind of relationship does Nora have with the characters she reads about in books?
9. Who are the two people that greatly influenced Nora in her life?
10. What is the point of discussing a lost food?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nora conveys that the older generations, the Baby Boomers, are highly proactive. They are always into the latest craze about health and beauty. Write an essay on the aging Baby Boomers and their effect on society. What have been their greatest contributions and their greatest struggles? Include 3 resources and cite your evidence.
Essay Topic 2
Nora says that most people would agree that wisdom comes with age. What do you believe? Write an essay on the definition of wisdom, according to the Greeks, and how it is now perceived in Western Culture. Does the West respect the wisdom that comes with age? Do they respect age? Is there any exception to the old adage that wisdom comes from age? Could wisdom come from truthful perception? Write this as an opinion piece and base it on personal experience.
Essay Topic 3
Nora Ephron was greatly inspired by chefs, namely Julia Child, Michael Fields, and Lee Bailey. She was inspired so much that she changed her personal style. She often had imaginary relationships with those she admired, which caused her to make drastic changes in her own life. Write an essay on the power of inspiration through mentorship. You may do this through a personal narrative, perhaps an experience you had, or by writing a biography on inspirational figures like Julia Child and the work she did which inspired others to utilize their own gifts. Be sure to write your narrative in an analytic fashion and tie it into the book by using 3 excerpts in your essay.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)