|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political issue does Nora wish Bill would speak out against?
2. Where did Nora's first husband take her in an attempt to patch together their failed marriage?
3. According to Nora, what is a small but valued plus to living in New York City?
4. What is Nora's job in the White House?
5. Where did Nora claim her time was spent while she was at the White House?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nora begin talking about when describing her life in New York?
2. What have books done for Nora, ever since she was a child?
3. Describe Nora's desk environment.
4. What favorite food does Nora share about?
5. Why happens one day when JFK walks by Nora one day?
6. Describe the success that happens on Nora's quest for the cabbage strudel.
7. Describe Nora's job at the White House.
8. What political issue makes Nora unwilling to support Bill?
9. What are the advantages of Nora's apartment?
10. Who are the two people that greatly influenced Nora in her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nora describes the feeling of reading and finishing a book as the feeling of being a deep sea diver, coming up to the surface and needing to decompress or else running the risk of getting "the bends". Write a critical book review of your favorite novel, one that made you feel the rapture Nora speaks of. Discuss character, plot, climax, and resolution. If you have not felt that type of rapture, write an essay on what you imagine that feeling to be like, using the diver analogy. Make sure you take a critical, academic approach to the book review so that the reader is drawn in, much like they are in a novel.
Essay Topic 2
Nora talks about falling in love with an apartment as part of her recovery from a broken marriage. She makes her surroundings something she loves so as to help her cope with the loss of love in her life. This action is almost literature based. Write an essay on pieces of classical literature that mirror this exact sentiment. Find 3 examples and find evidence within the prose to discuss in your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Nora describes her time as an intern at the White House while JFK served as President. That time in history is often viewed as glamourous and filled with public intrigue. Write an essay on the Kennedy White House. Include the social, political, and economic climate of the time period and how it influence the culture of the United States. Be sure to add in new articles, quotes, and relevant historical data. Cite your sources.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)