|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Nora, what is a small but valued plus to living in New York City?
2. What does Nora do with the classics?
3. What is Nora always on the lookout for?
4. If Nora was propositioned by JFK, what is the one thing she would not have been able to do?
5. What does Nora say is easier to do once the experience has played out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the advantages of Nora's neighborhood?
2. How does Nora's career in journalism begin?
3. What does Nora believe makes a great story?
4. Why does Nora believe she was never propositioned by JFK?
5. Why happens one day when JFK walks by Nora one day?
6. What event leads to Nora's personal story of being an intern at the White House while JFK was President?
7. What kind of relationship does Nora have with the characters she reads about in books?
8. Describe Nora and Bill's relationship in the beginning?
9. What does Nora say about wisdom?
10. Describe the success that happens on Nora's quest for the cabbage strudel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nora talks about advice and how many things a person figures out only after they have already made a mistake. Think of one mistake you have made so far in your life that you have now figured out. How would you have responded differently had you known? Replay the scenario. Take a different side and create an essay in which you learned from your mistake.
Essay Topic 2
Nora Ephron talks about losing her eyesight and being frustrated because she finds it increasingly difficult to read. Write an essay on the power of literacy. In what ways does literacy affect our entire life? From communication, to obtaining a job, to understanding a political action, to having an informed opinion, or simply in understanding the world around you, there are so many ways literacy is part of daily life. Discuss 3 ways that literacy has changed your life. Describe how and why literacy is so necessary. Be sure to include at least 3 examples in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Nora Ephron was greatly inspired by chefs, namely Julia Child, Michael Fields, and Lee Bailey. She was inspired so much that she changed her personal style. She often had imaginary relationships with those she admired, which caused her to make drastic changes in her own life. Write an essay on the power of inspiration through mentorship. You may do this through a personal narrative, perhaps an experience you had, or by writing a biography on inspirational figures like Julia Child and the work she did which inspired others to utilize their own gifts. Be sure to write your narrative in an analytic fashion and tie it into the book by using 3 excerpts in your essay.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)