|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Nora Ephron move to when she is five years old, but misses home and does not fit in?
2. What is the tragedy of lost food, according to Nora?
3. What can Nora find within a two block radius of her apartment?
4. What kind of approach does Nora take when giving advice?
5. What is Nora's neighborhood like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nora believe she was never propositioned by JFK?
2. Who are the two people that greatly influenced Nora in her life?
3. What political issue makes Nora unwilling to support Bill?
4. What favorite food does Nora share about?
5. What is the point of discussing a lost food?
6. What are the advantages of Nora's neighborhood?
7. What does Nora begin talking about when describing her life in New York?
8. Describe the way in which Nora share her one liners?
9. What is the theme of the chapter?
10. What does Nora say about wisdom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nora describes her time as an intern at the White House while JFK served as President. That time in history is often viewed as glamourous and filled with public intrigue. Write an essay on the Kennedy White House. Include the social, political, and economic climate of the time period and how it influence the culture of the United States. Be sure to add in new articles, quotes, and relevant historical data. Cite your sources.
Essay Topic 2
Every woman wants to look and feel beautiful. For many, it becomes an obsession. In an essay, write about the dangers of becoming obsessed with one's looks. Discuss the element of narcissism that is embedded into America's youth. What defines narcissism and how can it be avoided? Use contemporary examples from the pop world; singers, actors, rock stars, even politicians. How can narcissism become dangerous? Approach your essay psychologically but be sure to include evidence to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Nora Ephron talks about losing her eyesight and being frustrated because she finds it increasingly difficult to read. Write an essay on the power of literacy. In what ways does literacy affect our entire life? From communication, to obtaining a job, to understanding a political action, to having an informed opinion, or simply in understanding the world around you, there are so many ways literacy is part of daily life. Discuss 3 ways that literacy has changed your life. Describe how and why literacy is so necessary. Be sure to include at least 3 examples in your response.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)