|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of approach does Nora take when giving advice?
2. Who does Nora equate her computer addiction to?
3. What is the biggest pro to living in a small apartment in New York?
4. What newspaper is Nora given the change to write for, realizing her dream of being a journalist at the age of twenty-two?
5. According to Nora, what is a small but valued plus to living in New York City?
Short Essay Questions
1. What favorite food does Nora share about?
2. Describe the success that happens on Nora's quest for the cabbage strudel.
3. What happens to Nora when she is seven months pregnant that changes the course of her life entirely?
4. What kind of relationship does Nora have with the characters she reads about in books?
5. Describe the way in which Nora share her one liners?
6. Why is Nora upset about not being able to find her favorite food since 1982?
7. What is the theme of the chapter?
8. Describe Nora's desk environment.
9. What does Nora believe makes a great story?
10. How does Nora's career in journalism begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nora Ephron was greatly inspired by chefs, namely Julia Child, Michael Fields, and Lee Bailey. She was inspired so much that she changed her personal style. She often had imaginary relationships with those she admired, which caused her to make drastic changes in her own life. Write an essay on the power of inspiration through mentorship. You may do this through a personal narrative, perhaps an experience you had, or by writing a biography on inspirational figures like Julia Child and the work she did which inspired others to utilize their own gifts. Be sure to write your narrative in an analytic fashion and tie it into the book by using 3 excerpts in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Nora Ephron talks about losing her eyesight and being frustrated because she finds it increasingly difficult to read. Write an essay on the power of literacy. In what ways does literacy affect our entire life? From communication, to obtaining a job, to understanding a political action, to having an informed opinion, or simply in understanding the world around you, there are so many ways literacy is part of daily life. Discuss 3 ways that literacy has changed your life. Describe how and why literacy is so necessary. Be sure to include at least 3 examples in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Nora and her friend go to Paris, the heart of the fashion world. Write an essay on the fashion icons who came from Paris such as Sonia Rykiel, Coco Chanel, and Jeanne Lanvin. Why is fashion so coveted? Why is it an art form? Why is Paris so coveted for fashion? What is its lure and insight into fashion? How does fashion influence world issues? What did the fashion icons give the world as a result of their inspiration?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)