|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Nora so happy about the cabbage strudel?
2. What do wise people want younger people to do?
3. Why does Nora believe she was never propositioned by JFK?
4. What is Nora's response to JFK's question?
5. What form of literature does Nora say can place her in rapture?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the two people that greatly influenced Nora in her life?
2. What is the theme of the chapter?
3. What happens to Nora when she is seven months pregnant that changes the course of her life entirely?
4. Describe Nora's desk environment.
5. What is Nora's problem in college?
6. What is the relationship that Nora draws between the reader and a diver?
7. What favorite food does Nora share about?
8. What kind of relationship does Nora have with the characters she reads about in books?
9. What are the advantages of Nora's neighborhood?
10. What does Nora begin talking about when describing her life in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nora Ephron was greatly inspired by chefs, namely Julia Child, Michael Fields, and Lee Bailey. She was inspired so much that she changed her personal style. She often had imaginary relationships with those she admired, which caused her to make drastic changes in her own life. Write an essay on the power of inspiration through mentorship. You may do this through a personal narrative, perhaps an experience you had, or by writing a biography on inspirational figures like Julia Child and the work she did which inspired others to utilize their own gifts. Be sure to write your narrative in an analytic fashion and tie it into the book by using 3 excerpts in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Every woman wants to look and feel beautiful. For many, it becomes an obsession. In an essay, write about the dangers of becoming obsessed with one's looks. Discuss the element of narcissism that is embedded into America's youth. What defines narcissism and how can it be avoided? Use contemporary examples from the pop world; singers, actors, rock stars, even politicians. How can narcissism become dangerous? Approach your essay psychologically but be sure to include evidence to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Nora talks about advice and how many things a person figures out only after they have already made a mistake. Think of one mistake you have made so far in your life that you have now figured out. How would you have responded differently had you known? Replay the scenario. Take a different side and create an essay in which you learned from your mistake.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)