|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of Nora's favorite foods?
2. How does Nora handle Bill's lies regarding Gennifer?
3. After the Bill and Monica affair, how does Nora view Bill and his character?
4. What does most of the advice that Nora offers fall under the umbrella of?
5. What does one want to have when they are younger and could really use?
Short Essay Questions
1. What political issue makes Nora unwilling to support Bill?
2. Why happens one day when JFK walks by Nora one day?
3. Who are the two people that greatly influenced Nora in her life?
4. What have books done for Nora, ever since she was a child?
5. Describe Nora's desk environment.
6. Describe the way in which Nora share her one liners?
7. What is the point of discussing a lost food?
8. What happens when Nora sees Bill on TV again?
9. Why does Nora believe she was never propositioned by JFK?
10. What does Nora begin talking about when describing her life in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nora Ephron talks about the glamour and public intrigue with the Kennedy White House. It was deemed the time of "Camelot". America has a love affair with fame. Fame sometimes serves as a justification for living. Write an essay on the reality of fame, public intrigue, and glamour. Refer to 3 contemporary "stars" and how fame and fortune have affected their life, either for good or for not. Explain how public people often have to protect their private life and how fame might just be an illusion to happiness.
Essay Topic 2
Nora talks about many one liners that offer advice, humor, comfort, and are thought provoking in her chapter titled "What I Wish I'd Known" There are no themes. Write an essay on what you wish you'd known about life. Include humorous, comforting, and thought provoking remarks and even some anecdotes. Provide examples of the times where your life could have been different had you known a certain thing - or two.
Essay Topic 3
What is the Western Standard of Beauty? Where did it originate? Why is it so mesmerizing? Write an essay on how standards of beauty are put into place and the positive and negative consequences of defining beauty in a society, especially young girls. Use at least 3 examples of Western Beauty in your response and back your analysis up with real life examples, case studies, etc.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)