|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora perceive the hunt to find cabbage strudel to be?
2. What was one of Nora's favorite foods?
3. What does Nora infuse throughout the chapter "What I Wish I'd Known" that makes it easy to read?
4. What does Nora remember about the books that she reads?
5. What is Nora's job in the White House?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of relationship does Nora have with the characters she reads about in books?
2. What have books done for Nora, ever since she was a child?
3. What political issue makes Nora unwilling to support Bill?
4. Describe the way in which Nora share her one liners?
5. What are the advantages of Nora's apartment?
6. What does Nora say about wisdom?
7. What is the relationship that Nora draws between the reader and a diver?
8. What does Nora begin talking about when describing her life in New York?
9. What happens to Nora when she is seven months pregnant that changes the course of her life entirely?
10. What event leads to Nora's personal story of being an intern at the White House while JFK was President?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nora Ephron was greatly inspired by chefs, namely Julia Child, Michael Fields, and Lee Bailey. She was inspired so much that she changed her personal style. She often had imaginary relationships with those she admired, which caused her to make drastic changes in her own life. Write an essay on the power of inspiration through mentorship. You may do this through a personal narrative, perhaps an experience you had, or by writing a biography on inspirational figures like Julia Child and the work she did which inspired others to utilize their own gifts. Be sure to write your narrative in an analytic fashion and tie it into the book by using 3 excerpts in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Nora says that most people would agree that wisdom comes with age. What do you believe? Write an essay on the definition of wisdom, according to the Greeks, and how it is now perceived in Western Culture. Does the West respect the wisdom that comes with age? Do they respect age? Is there any exception to the old adage that wisdom comes from age? Could wisdom come from truthful perception? Write this as an opinion piece and base it on personal experience.
Essay Topic 3
Nora says that many books on the subject of aging are in the theme that older is better than younger. Nora boldly states that older is not better than younger. Do you agree with this? Do you agree that people should say "In my day?" Do you believe that it is the day of the younger generation? Give 3 reasons for your beliefs backed by examples from pop culture or American life.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)