|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bakery did Nora used to find her favorite cabbage strudel?
2. How long was Nora married to her first husband?
3. What newspaper is Nora given the change to write for, realizing her dream of being a journalist at the age of twenty-two?
4. How does Nora describe herself as she sits in front of her computer?
5. Who tells Nora about Andre's Hungarian Bakery opening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the advantages of Nora's apartment?
2. What favorite food does Nora share about?
3. What have books done for Nora, ever since she was a child?
4. What happens to Nora when she is seven months pregnant that changes the course of her life entirely?
5. What event leads to Nora's personal story of being an intern at the White House while JFK was President?
6. What happens when Nora sees Bill on TV again?
7. Describe the way in which Nora share her one liners?
8. Describe Nora's job at the White House.
9. Why happens one day when JFK walks by Nora one day?
10. What does Nora believe makes a great story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nora says that most people would agree that wisdom comes with age. What do you believe? Write an essay on the definition of wisdom, according to the Greeks, and how it is now perceived in Western Culture. Does the West respect the wisdom that comes with age? Do they respect age? Is there any exception to the old adage that wisdom comes from age? Could wisdom come from truthful perception? Write this as an opinion piece and base it on personal experience.
Essay Topic 2
Nora conveys that the older generations, the Baby Boomers, are highly proactive. They are always into the latest craze about health and beauty. Write an essay on the aging Baby Boomers and their effect on society. What have been their greatest contributions and their greatest struggles? Include 3 resources and cite your evidence.
Essay Topic 3
Nora Ephron gives the reader a short synopsis of her life in the chapter titled, " The Story of My LIfe in 3500 Words or Less". What is the significance of the art of biography? Why do we document our life and our life events? What is to be gained by the reader by studying someone else's life? Use 3 examples of biographies you have researched throughout the unit and talk about how they have made an impact on you. Treat "biography" as a genre and determine its strengths and weaknesses.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)