|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of Nora's favorite foods?
2. What is Nora impressed by when she sees Bill on television?
3. In what city does Nora Ephron live?
4. Why does Nora believe she was never propositioned by JFK?
5. What does one want to have when they are younger and could really use?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Nora upset about not being able to find her favorite food since 1982?
2. What happens when Nora sees Bill on TV again?
3. What happens to Nora when she is seven months pregnant that changes the course of her life entirely?
4. What favorite food does Nora share about?
5. Why happens one day when JFK walks by Nora one day?
6. Describe Nora's job at the White House.
7. What kind of relationship does Nora have with the characters she reads about in books?
8. Describe the way in which Nora share her one liners?
9. What political issue makes Nora unwilling to support Bill?
10. What are the advantages of Nora's neighborhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nora says that most people would agree that wisdom comes with age. What do you believe? Write an essay on the definition of wisdom, according to the Greeks, and how it is now perceived in Western Culture. Does the West respect the wisdom that comes with age? Do they respect age? Is there any exception to the old adage that wisdom comes from age? Could wisdom come from truthful perception? Write this as an opinion piece and base it on personal experience.
Essay Topic 2
Nora Ephron was greatly inspired by chefs, namely Julia Child, Michael Fields, and Lee Bailey. She was inspired so much that she changed her personal style. She often had imaginary relationships with those she admired, which caused her to make drastic changes in her own life. Write an essay on the power of inspiration through mentorship. You may do this through a personal narrative, perhaps an experience you had, or by writing a biography on inspirational figures like Julia Child and the work she did which inspired others to utilize their own gifts. Be sure to write your narrative in an analytic fashion and tie it into the book by using 3 excerpts in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Nora describes her time as an intern at the White House while JFK served as President. That time in history is often viewed as glamourous and filled with public intrigue. Write an essay on the Kennedy White House. Include the social, political, and economic climate of the time period and how it influence the culture of the United States. Be sure to add in new articles, quotes, and relevant historical data. Cite your sources.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)