|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora Ephron say she wishes she would have enjoyed and appreciated in her life?
2. What is the first stage of parenting?
3. According to Nora, what did parents need to do once the "The Parenting Movement" began?
4. What happens in Nora Ephron's marriage as she is experimenting in the culinary world?
5. Who does adolescence change?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nora claim affects people more than anything else?
2. What are Nora's thoughts on exercise?
3. What does Nora Ephron not like about her neck?
4. What does Nora not like about her own purse?
5. What does Nora think of manicures?
6. What does Nora think of unwanted hairs and hair removal?
7. What is the third stage of parenting?
8. Describe the premise of the chapter "Blind as a Bat."
9. What is the premise of Nora Ephron's book "I Feel Bad About My Neck?"
10. What happens when Nora finally gets reading glasses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nora Ephron discusses "The Parenting Movement", which began just before Nora had kids. Write an essay on the past 50 years of the social interpretation of child rearing. If possible, outline the theories that have been offered over time and if they have served parents or not. . Include 3 major researchers and their findings (doctors, psychologists, etc). FInally, end your essay with your own social commentary of parenting What is it that you believe is good advice to follow when raising a child?
Essay Topic 2
Nora says that most people would agree that wisdom comes with age. What do you believe? Write an essay on the definition of wisdom, according to the Greeks, and how it is now perceived in Western Culture. Does the West respect the wisdom that comes with age? Do they respect age? Is there any exception to the old adage that wisdom comes from age? Could wisdom come from truthful perception? Write this as an opinion piece and base it on personal experience.
Essay Topic 3
Nora and her friend go to Paris, the heart of the fashion world. Write an essay on the fashion icons who came from Paris such as Sonia Rykiel, Coco Chanel, and Jeanne Lanvin. Why is fashion so coveted? Why is it an art form? Why is Paris so coveted for fashion? What is its lure and insight into fashion? How does fashion influence world issues? What did the fashion icons give the world as a result of their inspiration?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)