Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora use as daily skin maintenance?
2. What does the effects of eyesight going bad affect?
3. Why does Nora not need a purse for a time?
4. What does Nora Ephron anticipate she will feel like if she gets a purse that is big enough to carry all of her things?
5. Who does Nora eventually meet in her building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of Nora's apartment?
2. What have books done for Nora, ever since she was a child?
3. What are Nora's thoughts on exercise?
4. What does the new purse Nora gets after returning from Paris look like?
5. What event leads to Nora's personal story of being an intern at the White House while JFK was President?
6. Why does Nora believe she was never propositioned by JFK?
7. What is significant about Lee Bailey?
8. Describe the success that happens on Nora's quest for the cabbage strudel.
9. Describe the premise of the chapter "Blind as a Bat."
10. Who is Nora Ephron?
Essay Topic 1
Nora talks about falling in love with an apartment as part of her recovery from a broken marriage. She makes her surroundings something she loves so as to help her cope with the loss of love in her life. This action is almost literature based. Write an essay on pieces of classical literature that mirror this exact sentiment. Find 3 examples and find evidence within the prose to discuss in your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Nora finishes her book with the chapter that discusses death. She says that aging is better than the alternative and that there is positive to be found in aging. Living life to its fullest is the best way to live. Enjoying everything as much as you can. Write an essay that supports these sentiments. Write an inspirational essay that encourages both yourself and others to life to the fullest. What does that mean to you? How would you go about executing that plan?
Essay Topic 3
Nora says that most people would agree that wisdom comes with age. What do you believe? Write an essay on the definition of wisdom, according to the Greeks, and how it is now perceived in Western Culture. Does the West respect the wisdom that comes with age? Do they respect age? Is there any exception to the old adage that wisdom comes from age? Could wisdom come from truthful perception? Write this as an opinion piece and base it on personal experience.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)