|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Nora take care of her nails for many years?
2. What feeling does Nora's purse give to women everywhere who cannot seem to make traditional purses work?
3. What kind of maintenance overwhelms Nora?
4. What is a cook's style very similar to?
5. What is the name of Nora's new man in her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Nora views her apartment in the beginning?
2. What is happening to Nora's eyesight and what is she having trouble doing?
3. What does the new purse Nora gets after returning from Paris look like?
4. How does Nora's interest in cookbooks begin?
5. What happens after Nora gets a divorce?
6. What is wrong with Nora Ephron's neck, besides age and what does she wish she would have enjoyed more?
7. What is the third stage of parenting?
8. What does Nora's final decision about her new, waterproof, roomy purse do for other women trying to make traditional purses work?
9. What types of maintenance are there?
10. What does Nora think of manicures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every woman wants to look and feel beautiful. For many, it becomes an obsession. In an essay, write about the dangers of becoming obsessed with one's looks. Discuss the element of narcissism that is embedded into America's youth. What defines narcissism and how can it be avoided? Use contemporary examples from the pop world; singers, actors, rock stars, even politicians. How can narcissism become dangerous? Approach your essay psychologically but be sure to include evidence to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Nora Ephron talks about losing her eyesight and being frustrated because she finds it increasingly difficult to read. Write an essay on the power of literacy. In what ways does literacy affect our entire life? From communication, to obtaining a job, to understanding a political action, to having an informed opinion, or simply in understanding the world around you, there are so many ways literacy is part of daily life. Discuss 3 ways that literacy has changed your life. Describe how and why literacy is so necessary. Be sure to include at least 3 examples in your response.
Essay Topic 3
What is the Western Standard of Beauty? Where did it originate? Why is it so mesmerizing? Write an essay on how standards of beauty are put into place and the positive and negative consequences of defining beauty in a society, especially young girls. Use at least 3 examples of Western Beauty in your response and back your analysis up with real life examples, case studies, etc.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)