|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject matter does Nora Ephron refuse to discuss in her book?
2. How does Nora feel about her declining eyesight?
3. What is not guaranteed in a difficult recipe?
4. What might some consider cooking to be?
5. Which body part does Nora Ephron believe shows age the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Nora gets a divorce?
2. What does Nora claim affects people more than anything else?
3. Describe Nora and Bill's relationship in the beginning?
4. What event leads to Nora's personal story of being an intern at the White House while JFK was President?
5. Who is Nora Ephron?
6. Why happens one day when JFK walks by Nora one day?
7. What happens to Nora when she is seven months pregnant that changes the course of her life entirely?
8. What is the premise of Nora Ephron's book "I Feel Bad About My Neck?"
9. How does Nora feel about aging?
10. Describe the success that happens on Nora's quest for the cabbage strudel.
Essay Topic 1
Nora Ephron talks about the glamour and public intrigue with the Kennedy White House. It was deemed the time of "Camelot". America has a love affair with fame. Fame sometimes serves as a justification for living. Write an essay on the reality of fame, public intrigue, and glamour. Refer to 3 contemporary "stars" and how fame and fortune have affected their life, either for good or for not. Explain how public people often have to protect their private life and how fame might just be an illusion to happiness.
Essay Topic 2
Nora Ephron discusses "The Parenting Movement", which began just before Nora had kids. Write an essay on the past 50 years of the social interpretation of child rearing. If possible, outline the theories that have been offered over time and if they have served parents or not. . Include 3 major researchers and their findings (doctors, psychologists, etc). FInally, end your essay with your own social commentary of parenting What is it that you believe is good advice to follow when raising a child?
Essay Topic 3
Nora says that many books on the subject of aging are in the theme that older is better than younger. Nora boldly states that older is not better than younger. Do you agree with this? Do you agree that people should say "In my day?" Do you believe that it is the day of the younger generation? Give 3 reasons for your beliefs backed by examples from pop culture or American life.
This section contains 2,242 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)