|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nora have imaginary conversations with?
2. What is not easy to do as one ages?
3. What changes as Nora moves from an apartment she loves to a place where she lives?
4. What does the effects of eyesight going bad affect?
5. Who inspires Nora Ephron to change her life by helping her find her true personal style in cooking and in home decor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Nora as she throws herself into the culinary arts?
2. What does Nora do while she tries out recipes from her favorite cookbooks?
3. What kind of a job is parenting?
4. What happens after Nora gets a divorce?
5. Who are the people that move in and that Nora meets in her building and what happens with these relationships?
6. What is the premise of Nora Ephron's book "I Feel Bad About My Neck?"
7. What does Nora not like about her own purse?
8. What does Nora think of manicures?
9. What is significant about Lee Bailey?
10. What is the symbolism of Nora's apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nora Ephron discusses "The Parenting Movement", which began just before Nora had kids. Write an essay on the past 50 years of the social interpretation of child rearing. If possible, outline the theories that have been offered over time and if they have served parents or not. . Include 3 major researchers and their findings (doctors, psychologists, etc). FInally, end your essay with your own social commentary of parenting What is it that you believe is good advice to follow when raising a child?
Essay Topic 2
Nora and her friend go to Paris, the heart of the fashion world. Write an essay on the fashion icons who came from Paris such as Sonia Rykiel, Coco Chanel, and Jeanne Lanvin. Why is fashion so coveted? Why is it an art form? Why is Paris so coveted for fashion? What is its lure and insight into fashion? How does fashion influence world issues? What did the fashion icons give the world as a result of their inspiration?
Essay Topic 3
Nora talks about many one liners that offer advice, humor, comfort, and are thought provoking in her chapter titled "What I Wish I'd Known" There are no themes. Write an essay on what you wish you'd known about life. Include humorous, comforting, and thought provoking remarks and even some anecdotes. Provide examples of the times where your life could have been different had you known a certain thing - or two.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)