|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is one of Nora's favorite chefs?
2. Who does Nora eventually meet in her building?
3. What does Nora Ephron anticipate she will feel like if she gets a purse that is big enough to carry all of her things?
4. How does Nora feel about her declining eyesight?
5. Where in New York do Nora and Nick find a new apartment after Apthorp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nora claim affects people more than anything else?
2. What kind of a job is parenting?
3. Describe the second stage of parenting?
4. Who are the people that move in and that Nora meets in her building and what happens with these relationships?
5. What is the first stage of parenting?
6. What does the new purse Nora gets after returning from Paris look like?
7. What is the third stage of parenting?
8. What does Nora think of unwanted hairs and hair removal?
9. What are Nora's thoughts on exercise?
10. What is wrong with Nora Ephron's neck, besides age and what does she wish she would have enjoyed more?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nora and her friend go to Paris, the heart of the fashion world. Write an essay on the fashion icons who came from Paris such as Sonia Rykiel, Coco Chanel, and Jeanne Lanvin. Why is fashion so coveted? Why is it an art form? Why is Paris so coveted for fashion? What is its lure and insight into fashion? How does fashion influence world issues? What did the fashion icons give the world as a result of their inspiration?
Essay Topic 2
Nora Ephron talks about losing her eyesight and being frustrated because she finds it increasingly difficult to read. Write an essay on the power of literacy. In what ways does literacy affect our entire life? From communication, to obtaining a job, to understanding a political action, to having an informed opinion, or simply in understanding the world around you, there are so many ways literacy is part of daily life. Discuss 3 ways that literacy has changed your life. Describe how and why literacy is so necessary. Be sure to include at least 3 examples in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Nora Ephron gives the reader a short synopsis of her life in the chapter titled, " The Story of My LIfe in 3500 Words or Less". What is the significance of the art of biography? Why do we document our life and our life events? What is to be gained by the reader by studying someone else's life? Use 3 examples of biographies you have researched throughout the unit and talk about how they have made an impact on you. Treat "biography" as a genre and determine its strengths and weaknesses.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)