|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes as Nora moves from an apartment she loves to a place where she lives?
2. What do women seldom do as they get older?
3. What age does Nora Ephron appear to be when she tells her anecdotes and stories?
4. What has every woman tried to do with her purse?
5. What changes in Nora's life as her cooking style changes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nora begin talking about when describing her life in New York?
2. Describe Nora's generation and their collective thoughts on growing old.
3. What does Nora say about wisdom?
4. What are the advantages of Nora's apartment?
5. What is the third stage of parenting?
6. What is significant about Lee Bailey?
7. How does Nora's interest in cookbooks begin?
8. What does Nora claim affects people more than anything else?
9. How does Nora feel about aging?
10. Why does Nora travel to Paris?
Essay Topic 1
Nora Ephron talks about losing her eyesight and being frustrated because she finds it increasingly difficult to read. Write an essay on the power of literacy. In what ways does literacy affect our entire life? From communication, to obtaining a job, to understanding a political action, to having an informed opinion, or simply in understanding the world around you, there are so many ways literacy is part of daily life. Discuss 3 ways that literacy has changed your life. Describe how and why literacy is so necessary. Be sure to include at least 3 examples in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Nora talks about advice and how many things a person figures out only after they have already made a mistake. Think of one mistake you have made so far in your life that you have now figured out. How would you have responded differently had you known? Replay the scenario. Take a different side and create an essay in which you learned from your mistake.
Essay Topic 3
Nora and her friend go to Paris, the heart of the fashion world. Write an essay on the fashion icons who came from Paris such as Sonia Rykiel, Coco Chanel, and Jeanne Lanvin. Why is fashion so coveted? Why is it an art form? Why is Paris so coveted for fashion? What is its lure and insight into fashion? How does fashion influence world issues? What did the fashion icons give the world as a result of their inspiration?
This section contains 2,274 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)