|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora use as daily skin maintenance?
2. What does the effects of eyesight going bad affect?
3. Why does Nora not need a purse for a time?
4. What does Nora Ephron anticipate she will feel like if she gets a purse that is big enough to carry all of her things?
5. Who does Nora eventually meet in her building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of Nora's apartment?
2. What have books done for Nora, ever since she was a child?
3. What are Nora's thoughts on exercise?
4. What does the new purse Nora gets after returning from Paris look like?
5. What event leads to Nora's personal story of being an intern at the White House while JFK was President?
6. Why does Nora believe she was never propositioned by JFK?
7. What is significant about Lee Bailey?
8. Describe the success that happens on Nora's quest for the cabbage strudel.
9. Describe the premise of the chapter "Blind as a Bat."
10. Who is Nora Ephron?
Essay Topic 1
Nora Ephron gives the reader a short synopsis of her life in the chapter titled, " The Story of My LIfe in 3500 Words or Less". What is the significance of the art of biography? Why do we document our life and our life events? What is to be gained by the reader by studying someone else's life? Use 3 examples of biographies you have researched throughout the unit and talk about how they have made an impact on you. Treat "biography" as a genre and determine its strengths and weaknesses.
Essay Topic 2
Nora talks about many one liners that offer advice, humor, comfort, and are thought provoking in her chapter titled "What I Wish I'd Known" There are no themes. Write an essay on what you wish you'd known about life. Include humorous, comforting, and thought provoking remarks and even some anecdotes. Provide examples of the times where your life could have been different had you known a certain thing - or two.
Essay Topic 3
Nora talks about advice and how many things a person figures out only after they have already made a mistake. Think of one mistake you have made so far in your life that you have now figured out. How would you have responded differently had you known? Replay the scenario. Take a different side and create an essay in which you learned from your mistake.
This section contains 2,287 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)