|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Nora's new man in her life?
2. What topic does Nora think each women struggles with all on their own?
3. Who does Nora eventually meet in her building?
4. What subject matter does Nora Ephron refuse to discuss in her book?
5. What does Nora say the struggle to read as you get older causes the need for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the third stage of parenting?
2. What is happening to Nora's eyesight and what is she having trouble doing?
3. What does Nora think of manicures?
4. What does the new purse Nora gets after returning from Paris look like?
5. What is significant about Lee Bailey?
6. What is the first stage of parenting?
7. What kind of a job is parenting?
8. Who is Nora Ephron?
9. What are Nora's thoughts on exercise?
10. What happens after Nora gets a divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nora Ephron talks about the glamour and public intrigue with the Kennedy White House. It was deemed the time of "Camelot". America has a love affair with fame. Fame sometimes serves as a justification for living. Write an essay on the reality of fame, public intrigue, and glamour. Refer to 3 contemporary "stars" and how fame and fortune have affected their life, either for good or for not. Explain how public people often have to protect their private life and how fame might just be an illusion to happiness.
Essay Topic 2
Nora Ephron discusses "The Parenting Movement", which began just before Nora had kids. Write an essay on the past 50 years of the social interpretation of child rearing. If possible, outline the theories that have been offered over time and if they have served parents or not. . Include 3 major researchers and their findings (doctors, psychologists, etc). FInally, end your essay with your own social commentary of parenting What is it that you believe is good advice to follow when raising a child?
Essay Topic 3
Nora describes her time as an intern at the White House while JFK served as President. That time in history is often viewed as glamourous and filled with public intrigue. Write an essay on the Kennedy White House. Include the social, political, and economic climate of the time period and how it influence the culture of the United States. Be sure to add in new articles, quotes, and relevant historical data. Cite your sources.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)