|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling does Nora's purse give to women everywhere who cannot seem to make traditional purses work?
2. What subject matter does Nora Ephron refuse to discuss in her book?
3. When did Nora Ephron enjoy reading telephone books?
4. What topic does Nora think each women struggles with all on their own?
5. What subject does Nora Ephron claim other women do not answer honestly about when asked for their opinion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nora's final decision about her new, waterproof, roomy purse do for other women trying to make traditional purses work?
2. What does Nora claim affects people more than anything else?
3. What is the third stage of parenting?
4. What is significant about Lee Bailey?
5. What is the first stage of parenting?
6. What is the symbolism of Nora's apartment?
7. What happens to Nora as she throws herself into the culinary arts?
8. How does Nora's interest in cookbooks begin?
9. Why does Nora travel to Paris?
10. What is happening to Nora's eyesight and what is she having trouble doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nora Ephron was greatly inspired by chefs, namely Julia Child, Michael Fields, and Lee Bailey. She was inspired so much that she changed her personal style. She often had imaginary relationships with those she admired, which caused her to make drastic changes in her own life. Write an essay on the power of inspiration through mentorship. You may do this through a personal narrative, perhaps an experience you had, or by writing a biography on inspirational figures like Julia Child and the work she did which inspired others to utilize their own gifts. Be sure to write your narrative in an analytic fashion and tie it into the book by using 3 excerpts in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Nora talks about her friend Judy and Henry. Judy found a lump on her tongue and only lived for a year while Henry lived until he was eighty-two. Henry had time to prepare, so much so that he had a folder on his desktop that was titled "Exit". Write an essay comparing and contrasting the death experience of Judy and Henry. Write about 5 pros and 5 cons of each? Finally, how would like your life to play out?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the Bill and Monica scandal. Looking back on this scandal, compared with the politics going on in the world at that time, does the scandal seems inconsequential? Or not? Describe 3 reasons the scandal was as blown up as it was, according to the sociological factors influencing the media at the time. Lastly, do you think the scandal should have been so publicly acknowledged? Was the media's influence on it inappropriate or do Americans have the right to know everything about their leader? Include the opinion of experts as well as your own.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)