|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bilquis dread most about confronting her family?
2. What did Bilquis learn that she can't do at the same time?
3. What surprised the villagers about Christ?
4. What was the Moses' Rod principle, according to Bilquis?
5. What childhood experience did Bilquis recollect that calmed her?
Essay Topic 1
As Bilquis' story progresses, both she and the reader sense an impending doom that does not come to pass. She never learns what might have happened to her and Mahmud had she not hurried out of the country. In your essay, discuss this information gap. Is it disappointing to you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the changes Bilquis undergoes are surprising to her. In your essay, discuss how she learns about the changes in her own personality and how this effects the credibility of her story to the reader.
Essay Topic 3
When Bilquis experiences a heart attack, she returns to Pakistan. She is seeking safety where she had once felt unsafe. Why do you think the circumstances have changed? Do you find it ironic that she would go home in a weakened condition? Why or why not? In your essay, discuss the changes in Bilquis' thinking and Pakistan's cultural, religious, and political landscape.
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)