|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story did Bilquis tell as they placed the lamps for the party?
2. What did Bilquis' dreams instruct her to do?
3. What did Bilquis' brother-in-law Jamil tell her she has gained for all her losses?
4. What surprising thing does Bilquis feel impressed to do after Karim dies?
5. What did neighborhood children do that bothered Bilquis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Bilquis overcome the fear that confronted her as she arrived at the Olds' home?
2. Why did Bilquis decide not to replace all of the servants she lost?
3. Why did Bilquis say she felt "complete" even though she was leaving her home for an indefinite period and didn't know where she was going?
4. What did Peggy Schlorholtz want Bilquis to do with her?
5. What was wrong with Bilquis' plan to give a Christmas party for her Muslim and Christian friends?
6. What happened to Bilquis when she decided that she would not be driven out of her home?
7. What were the negative and positive results of the Christmas party?
8. Why had four of Bilquis' Christian servants fled from her house?
9. Who did Bilquis decide to invite to her Christmas party?
10. Why did Ken Old tell Bilquis that she had reason to rejoice even while she is sad at their departure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bilquis often reports situations in which she loses track of time, suddenly realizing that several hours have passed. In your essay, quote several of those instances, and evaluate that experience. What do you think causes the lapse? What does it tell you about the effort she is making?
Essay Topic 2
Many items that are repeated in this story could be interpreted as symbols. Select a story element that you believe is symbolic of a larger idea. Using quotations from the story, tell what you think the item symbolizes.
Essay Topic 3
Writers write for different purposes such as to inform, to entertain, or to persuade. In your essay, identify what purpose you think Bilquis had in making her story available through this book. Does it seem to you that she is proselytizing, trying to convert others? Why or why not?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)