|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the Christians singing as Bilquis arrived at the conference?
2. What event took Bilquis back to Pakistan?
3. Who was Dr. Christy Wilson?
4. What experience did Bilquis' mourners have on the day of her funeral?
5. What did the anonymous letter call Bilquis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lesson about staying in God's presence did Bilquis learn from the family funerals?
2. What did Bilquis learn when the village woman did not return to thank her for her help?
3. What came as a threat to Bilquis' precious afternoon rest?
4. Why did Bilquis decide not to replace all of the servants she lost?
5. What happened to Bilquis' family members who had been coming to visit her?
6. What were the negative and positive results of the Christmas party?
7. Who did Bilquis decide to invite to her Christmas party?
8. What happened to Bilquis when she decided that she would not be driven out of her home?
9. What did Peggy Schlorholtz want Bilquis to do with her?
10. What did Bilquis expect her relatives to do when they learned of her baptism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bilquis often reports situations in which she loses track of time, suddenly realizing that several hours have passed. In your essay, quote several of those instances, and evaluate that experience. What do you think causes the lapse? What does it tell you about the effort she is making?
Essay Topic 2
In your essay, discuss the differences you see between Bilquis' life as a Pakistani and the life she might have experienced as a Western woman. Use the following questions as the beginning of your thinking: Why does she not drive? Why does she have to ask her servants whether her grandson has eaten? Why does she have to learn from her servants where her family is and what their intentions are toward her? Are these situations governed by cultural mores that are peculiar to her time and place?
Essay Topic 3
Bilquis speaks frequently of the process that is transforming her into a different sort of person than she has been. In your essay, cite the experiences that change her and how she comes to realize that she is changing. Describe what she did before and what she learned to do as she came to understand Christianity.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)