|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What career did Mahmud pursue?
2. What did Bilquis see for the first time as a result of the Sunday night meetings at her house?
3. What did Bilquis dislike about the behavior of Christians on the airplane?
4. What did Bilquis think would be the determining factor in agreeing to Dr. Stanley Mooneyham's request?
5. What did Dr. Stanley Mooneyham want Bilquis to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bilquis decide to leave a day earlier than she had intended to?
2. How did Bilquis overcome the fear that confronted her as she arrived at the Olds' home?
3. Why did the idea of leaving Pakistan seem enormous to Bilquis?
4. Why did Bilquis decide not to replace all of the servants she lost?
5. What did Bilquis learn when the village woman did not return to thank her for her help?
6. What did Peggy Schlorholtz want Bilquis to do with her?
7. What happened to Bilquis when she decided that she would not be driven out of her home?
8. What was wrong with Bilquis' plan to give a Christmas party for her Muslim and Christian friends?
9. What did Bilquis discover about her personality through her experience with the children and the plum tree?
10. What situation did Bilquis allow to make the decision about whether to travel to Singapore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Bilquis experiences a heart attack, she returns to Pakistan. She is seeking safety where she had once felt unsafe. Why do you think the circumstances have changed? Do you find it ironic that she would go home in a weakened condition? Why or why not? In your essay, discuss the changes in Bilquis' thinking and Pakistan's cultural, religious, and political landscape.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the changes Bilquis undergoes are surprising to her. In your essay, discuss how she learns about the changes in her own personality and how this effects the credibility of her story to the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Bilquis tells of experiences, such as floating out the window and being shaken from her bed, that are outside normal human experience. In your essay, select one or two of these experiences and give your opinion of these supernatural events. How does she account for them?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)