|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What family member did Bilquis approach first?
2. Three village children warned Mahmud about__________.
3. How long did Bilquis have to prepare to leave Pakistan?
4. Where was Bilquis' brother on the day they were going to visit?
5. How many relatives visited Bilquis on the first day after her baptism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was wrong with Bilquis' plan to give a Christmas party for her Muslim and Christian friends?
2. Why did Bilquis decide not to replace all of the servants she lost?
3. What did Peggy Schlorholtz want Bilquis to do with her?
4. What did Bilquis discover about her personality through her experience with the children and the plum tree?
5. Why did Bilquis say she felt "complete" even though she was leaving her home for an indefinite period and didn't know where she was going?
6. How did the family react when Bilquis showed up at Karim's funeral?
7. What were the negative and positive results of the Christmas party?
8. What happened to Bilquis' family members who had been coming to visit her?
9. Why did Ken Old tell Bilquis that she had reason to rejoice even while she is sad at their departure?
10. Who did Bilquis decide to invite to her Christmas party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing Christianity and Islam as they are revealed in Bilquis' story. Include ways in which the two religions are similar, as well as ways in which they are different.
Essay Topic 2
Bilquis faces both internal and external conflicts in this story. In your essay, compare and contrast the two types of conflict. Which do you feel is more difficult for her to contend with? Which lasts longer?
Essay Topic 3
Many items that are repeated in this story could be interpreted as symbols. Select a story element that you believe is symbolic of a larger idea. Using quotations from the story, tell what you think the item symbolizes.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)