|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did Mrs. Mitchell give Bilquis?
2. What does the word "Wah" mean?
3. What is a biraderi?
4. Who was General Khalid Sheikh?
5. Why was Bilquis uneasy about being baptized in Peshawar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What negative experience preceded Bilquis' baptism?
2. What unusual experience did Bilquis have after her sense of being baptized by the spirit?
3. Why had Bilquis learned Arabic?
4. What solution did Bilquis undertake to cure Mahmud?
5. What future does the Quran teach Christ will have?
6. After Bilquis' first dream, what did she feel compelled to do?
7. What feelings did Bilquis experience during her first supernatural event?
8. What honors have Bilquis' family members received?
9. What attitude of Bilquis' toward visitors was well known?
10. What effect did Bilquis believe it would have on her family if she became a Christian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your essay, discuss the differences you see between Bilquis' life as a Pakistani and the life she might have experienced as a Western woman. Use the following questions as the beginning of your thinking: Why does she not drive? Why does she have to ask her servants whether her grandson has eaten? Why does she have to learn from her servants where her family is and what their intentions are toward her? Are these situations governed by cultural mores that are peculiar to her time and place?
Essay Topic 2
Rather than beginning the story with an explanation of Bilquis' family and social standing, details about her life are revealed gradually. In your essay, quote phrases from the text that make clear the economic and social position of her family. Summarize what you know or can infer about them and their way of life.
Essay Topic 3
Bilquis tells of experiences, such as floating out the window and being shaken from her bed, that are outside normal human experience. In your essay, select one or two of these experiences and give your opinion of these supernatural events. How does she account for them?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)