|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not a main theme in this section?
2. What was the name of the aunt's first husband?
3. What is the name of Carmelita's ailing aunt?
4. Who supplied funds for the project?
5. Juana criticized a sermon delivered by Father ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Dee? What is her history?
2. Examine the scene in which Carmelita is walking home from the Tropicana.
3. Carmelita mentions that food is one of her passions. What about food is important to Carmelita?
4. What did Carmelita learn upon this last trip home to Cuba?
5. What is important about poetry to Carmelita?
6. Dee and others make comments about nutty women being incarcerated at the BMU. What was meant by that statement?
7. Describe Carmelita Tropicana as a person. What was her vision?
8. Who is Aunt Nina? How does Carmelita describe the old woman?
9. What is "El Recibo Social?" What is the main topic? Why is it important to Carmelita?
10. What happens to interrupt the tender moment between Juana and Maria Luisa? What major event occurs? Who appears on the scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Archbishop and Prosecutor were one in the same when he appeared before Juana and Maria Luisa. What is the role of an archbishop? Why is the Archbishop also a Prosecutor? What is the Inquisition? How does it affect Juana? What is the purpose of the Inquisition? Who was affected? What was the role of the Prosecutor? What was the role of the church? How long did the Inquisition last? What was the outcome? How did it affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
In several instances, particularly in Sor Juana: The Nightmare, there are references to mysticism. One good example is the appearance of the stigmata. Explain why Troyano included the use of mysticism in the play. Was it an effective tool? How did it relate to the rest of the story? Why did the Prosecutor doubt the veracity of the stigmata? How did it relate to Carmelita? Did Sor Juana's Catholic beliefs and practices relate to Carmelita in any way? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the play, Carmelita and Machito among others were involved in an assassination attempt of the corrupt Maldito. Discuss the initial assassination attempt. How did it come about? Who was in charge of the attempt? Who was assigned to complete the task? What happened? How and why did the assassination attempt fail? What was the next step? What was the name of the operation? Was the second attempt successful? Who was involved in the plan? What happened to Maldito? What event occurred that finally forced Maldito to be removed from office? Explain.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)