|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another title used by the Prosecutor?
2. What is the first language Carmelita learned when she came to New York?
3. The name of Carmelita's poem to her friend is "Oy Vey, Number ____."
4. The prosecutor refers to Juana as the ____ nun.
5. What is the nickname of Carmelita's aunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Carmelita Tropicana as a person. What was her vision?
2. What agreement is made between the Prosecutor and Juana? What happens to Juana after the agreement is made?
3. Who is Alba? What does she say to try to dissuade Juana from leaving the convent?
4. Carmelita comments that the women need the spirit of Rosa Parks. Who is Rosa Parks? Why does Carmelita see her as a role model?
5. How does the relationship between Maria Luisa and Juana change at this time? What promises do the women make to each other?
6. Discuss Carmelita's radio spot for WNYC. What was the purpose of the spot?
7. Why were Carmelita and the others protesting and where? What happened at the site? What was the result?
8. Who is Aunt Nina? How does Carmelita describe the old woman?
9. What does Carmelita tell her audience about becoming a performance artist? When did it occur? How did it happen?
10. What did Carmelita learn upon this last trip home to Cuba?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Archbishop and Prosecutor were one in the same when he appeared before Juana and Maria Luisa. What is the role of an archbishop? Why is the Archbishop also a Prosecutor? What is the Inquisition? How does it affect Juana? What is the purpose of the Inquisition? Who was affected? What was the role of the Prosecutor? What was the role of the church? How long did the Inquisition last? What was the outcome? How did it affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
There are many political issues discussed throughout the various scenes and plays. Discuss the following topics: Expatriation, citizenship, Carmelita's return to Cuba, government interference, escape, and immigration. How does each affect the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Carmelita Tropicana introduces Machito and Sophia as her siblings. What is the relationship between Carmelita Tropicana and her younger brother Machito? What is the relationship between Carmelita Tropicana and her sister Sophia? What is the relationship between Machito and Sophia?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)