|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The exterior shot of Carmelita walking home is set in which part of NYC?
2. Which is not a main theme in this section?
3. What is a nun's outfit called?
4. Who is scheduled to pick up Carmelita?
5. How many degrees is their peripheral vision?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carmelita say to Dee in an attempt to garner sympathy from the woman?
2. What is "El Recibo Social?" What is the main topic? Why is it important to Carmelita?
3. What are some of the topics discussed in the BMU by the women? What family story does Carmelita tell the others?
4. Who is Dee? What is her history?
5. What is the main theme in "Carmelita Tropicana: Your Kunst Is Your Waffen?"
6. What happens to interrupt the tender moment between Juana and Maria Luisa? What major event occurs? Who appears on the scene?
7. What is important about poetry to Carmelita?
8. Carmelita mentions that food is one of her passions. What about food is important to Carmelita?
9. What information is extracted from Juan(a) after more questioning from the Prosecutor?
10. How does the relationship between Maria Luisa and Juana change at this time? What promises do the women make to each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Dictator calls Carmelita regarding the activities in downtown Manhattan. What type of activities took place in Manhattan? Who participated? What were the consequences of the activities? Who arranged the activities? Who is the Dictator? How was s/he involved? What was the relationship between the Dictator and Carmelita? What happened to the Dictator after the raid? Did the Dictator and Carmelita have any contact after Carmelita's arrest or incarceration in BMU? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The plays work together collectively to paint a picture of the characters. One of the techniques used by Troyano was foreshadowing. List at least three examples of foreshadowing and how they related to the rest of the stories. Likewise, Troyano used the technique of flashback, particularly when it involved her relationships in and with Cuba. List at least three examples of flashback and how they related to the rest of the stories.
Essay Topic 3
Sor Juana: The Nightmare is a surreal piece about a 17th century Mexican nun. Examine Troyano's use of the nightmare in explaining Juana's talent, beliefs, and commitments. What is the purpose of the nightmare? How does the play fit in with Carmelita's story? Which parts, if any, of the nightmare were real? What do you think happened with Juana? What might have happened to the vicereine? Did their relationship continue? Was Juana's work ever published?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)