|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The name of Carmelita's poem to her friend is "Oy Vey, Number ____."
2. The Prosecutor claims that a portrait of a person signifies which of the following?
3. What is the nickname of Carmelita's aunt?
4. Which book is Carmelita reading?
5. Arriero's mother told him that he would be counting ______ in the New World.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is important about poetry to Carmelita?
2. How does Juana escape? What is her disguise?
3. How does the relationship between Maria Luisa and Juana change at this time? What promises do the women make to each other?
4. What is "El Recibo Social?" What is the main topic? Why is it important to Carmelita?
5. Who is Maria Luisa? What is her role in the story? What does Maria Luisa convince Juana to do?
6. Who is Dee? What is her history?
7. Who is Aunt Nina? How does Carmelita describe the old woman?
8. What is the main theme in "Carmelita Tropicana: Your Kunst Is Your Waffen?"
9. Carmelita comments that the women need the spirit of Rosa Parks. Who is Rosa Parks? Why does Carmelita see her as a role model?
10. Why is the Prosecutor angry with Juana? What does Juana say to convince the Prosecutor that she knows her Bible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Carmelita and the others were being held in the Behavioral Modification Unit, there were several discussions about prisoners that were hardened criminals, such as Dee. What is a hardened criminal? What caused Dee to be categorized in that way? How many times had Dee been arrested? What were Dee's crimes? Why were some of the characters referred to as being "nutty" or insane? What types of behaviors were exhibited that would cause one to make such a characterization? Were any of the characters treated for mental illness?
Essay Topic 2
Homosexuality is a main theme throughout the book. Carmelita is a lesbian as is pointed out in several acts and scenes. Discuss Carmelita's homosexuality. In some cases the homosexuality seems to be borne out of the situation rather than conscious choice. This can be seen in Sor Juana when the vicereine insists that Juana kiss her. Carmelita also enters into several relationships based on the situation, including her relationship with Rodesia in the BMU. Discuss homosexuality as it pertains to the story and explain how it affects the characters and their actions toward each other and the other main themes in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Sor Juana: The Nightmare is a surreal piece about a 17th century Mexican nun. Examine Troyano's use of the nightmare in explaining Juana's talent, beliefs, and commitments. What is the purpose of the nightmare? How does the play fit in with Carmelita's story? Which parts, if any, of the nightmare were real? What do you think happened with Juana? What might have happened to the vicereine? Did their relationship continue? Was Juana's work ever published?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)