|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Along the way Carmelita passes a(n) ____ store.
2. What piece of jewelry is questioned by the Prosecutor?
3. Which of the following is not one of the noises Carmelita hears before the intercut?
4. The Prosecutor refers to the Church as Juana's ____.
5. What is Juana's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the meeting between Dee and Carmelita. Where had the women met on a previous occasion? Explain the scene and the reaction of each woman.
2. What is the main theme in "Carmelita Tropicana: Your Kunst Is Your Waffen?"
3. Carmelita mentions that food is one of her passions. What about food is important to Carmelita?
4. What information is extracted from Juan(a) after more questioning from the Prosecutor?
5. Who is Arriero? What is Arriero's homeland? In which section is Arriero introduced? Why is Arriero's point of view different from the others?
6. What happens to interrupt the tender moment between Juana and Maria Luisa? What major event occurs? Who appears on the scene?
7. Who is Dee? What is her history?
8. Carmelita comments that the women need the spirit of Rosa Parks. Who is Rosa Parks? Why does Carmelita see her as a role model?
9. What does Carmelita say to Dee in an attempt to garner sympathy from the woman?
10. Who phones Carmelita the next morning? What is the purpose of each call?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The plays work together collectively to paint a picture of the characters. One of the techniques used by Troyano was foreshadowing. List at least three examples of foreshadowing and how they related to the rest of the stories. Likewise, Troyano used the technique of flashback, particularly when it involved her relationships in and with Cuba. List at least three examples of flashback and how they related to the rest of the stories.
Essay Topic 2
The Dictator calls Carmelita regarding the activities in downtown Manhattan. What type of activities took place in Manhattan? Who participated? What were the consequences of the activities? Who arranged the activities? Who is the Dictator? How was s/he involved? What was the relationship between the Dictator and Carmelita? What happened to the Dictator after the raid? Did the Dictator and Carmelita have any contact after Carmelita's arrest or incarceration in BMU? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
When Carmelita and the others were being held in the Behavioral Modification Unit, there were several discussions about prisoners that were hardened criminals, such as Dee. What is a hardened criminal? What caused Dee to be categorized in that way? How many times had Dee been arrested? What were Dee's crimes? Why were some of the characters referred to as being "nutty" or insane? What types of behaviors were exhibited that would cause one to make such a characterization? Were any of the characters treated for mental illness?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)