|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Juana's slave?
2. What is Juana's last name?
3. Carmelita has a picture of which famous star on her wall?
4. What item does Carmelita hold up to hide her face in front of the camera?
5. What is the Vicereine's title?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Maria Luisa? What is her role in the story? What does Maria Luisa convince Juana to do?
2. Who is Dee? What is her history?
3. Carmelita comments that the women need the spirit of Rosa Parks. Who is Rosa Parks? Why does Carmelita see her as a role model?
4. Who phones Carmelita the next morning? What is the purpose of each call?
5. What did Carmelita learn upon this last trip home to Cuba?
6. What happens to interrupt the tender moment between Juana and Maria Luisa? What major event occurs? Who appears on the scene?
7. What information is extracted from Juan(a) after more questioning from the Prosecutor?
8. What is important about poetry to Carmelita?
9. Why were Carmelita and the others protesting and where? What happened at the site? What was the result?
10. Discuss Carmelita's radio spot for WNYC. What was the purpose of the spot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Dictator calls Carmelita regarding the activities in downtown Manhattan. What type of activities took place in Manhattan? Who participated? What were the consequences of the activities? Who arranged the activities? Who is the Dictator? How was s/he involved? What was the relationship between the Dictator and Carmelita? What happened to the Dictator after the raid? Did the Dictator and Carmelita have any contact after Carmelita's arrest or incarceration in BMU? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The Archbishop and Prosecutor were one in the same when he appeared before Juana and Maria Luisa. What is the role of an archbishop? Why is the Archbishop also a Prosecutor? What is the Inquisition? How does it affect Juana? What is the purpose of the Inquisition? Who was affected? What was the role of the Prosecutor? What was the role of the church? How long did the Inquisition last? What was the outcome? How did it affect the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Sor Juana: The Nightmare is a surreal piece about a 17th century Mexican nun. Examine Troyano's use of the nightmare in explaining Juana's talent, beliefs, and commitments. What is the purpose of the nightmare? How does the play fit in with Carmelita's story? Which parts, if any, of the nightmare were real? What do you think happened with Juana? What might have happened to the vicereine? Did their relationship continue? Was Juana's work ever published?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)