|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Juana's slave?
2. Juana criticized a sermon delivered by Father ____.
3. The Prosecutor tells Juana that he can offer her freedom if she can show _____.
4. Carmelita becomes enraged when the mugger damages her ______.
5. What is Juana's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Dee? What is her history?
2. Why is the Prosecutor angry with Juana? What does Juana say to convince the Prosecutor that she knows her Bible?
3. Examine the scene in which Carmelita is walking home from the Tropicana.
4. Who is Maria Luisa? What is her role in the story? What does Maria Luisa convince Juana to do?
5. Who is Arriero? What is Arriero's homeland? In which section is Arriero introduced? Why is Arriero's point of view different from the others?
6. What information is extracted from Juan(a) after more questioning from the Prosecutor?
7. What are some of the topics discussed in the BMU by the women? What family story does Carmelita tell the others?
8. What does Carmelita tell her audience about becoming a performance artist? When did it occur? How did it happen?
9. Who is Sor Juana? What is the basis of the Nightmare?
10. What is "El Recibo Social?" What is the main topic? Why is it important to Carmelita?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several instances, particularly in Sor Juana: The Nightmare, there are references to mysticism. One good example is the appearance of the stigmata. Explain why Troyano included the use of mysticism in the play. Was it an effective tool? How did it relate to the rest of the story? Why did the Prosecutor doubt the veracity of the stigmata? How did it relate to Carmelita? Did Sor Juana's Catholic beliefs and practices relate to Carmelita in any way? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Carmelita and Sophia are sisters. Although both women came from Cuba, they could not be more different from one another. Compare and contrast the sisters. Which is the eldest? Who is the most conservative? What are the main differences between the sisters? Who is the most successful? Which sister is the most influential? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Carmelita Tropicana introduces Machito and Sophia as her siblings. What is the relationship between Carmelita Tropicana and her younger brother Machito? What is the relationship between Carmelita Tropicana and her sister Sophia? What is the relationship between Machito and Sophia?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)