|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carmelita tells her audience that ____ is the place to be.
2. Arriero's mother told him that he would be counting ______ in the New World.
3. Which is not a main theme in this section?
4. The goddess is the goddess of ______.
5. Dee believes that she must be _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the topics discussed in the BMU by the women? What family story does Carmelita tell the others?
2. Who is Alba? What does she say to try to dissuade Juana from leaving the convent?
3. Why were Carmelita and the others protesting and where? What happened at the site? What was the result?
4. What does Carmelita say to Dee in an attempt to garner sympathy from the woman?
5. What is "El Recibo Social?" What is the main topic? Why is it important to Carmelita?
6. What information is extracted from Juan(a) after more questioning from the Prosecutor?
7. Examine the scene in which Carmelita is walking home from the Tropicana.
8. What about the scene is so foreign to Arriero? What is his reaction?
9. Discuss the meeting between Dee and Carmelita. Where had the women met on a previous occasion? Explain the scene and the reaction of each woman.
10. Why is the Prosecutor angry with Juana? What does Juana say to convince the Prosecutor that she knows her Bible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Archbishop and Prosecutor were one in the same when he appeared before Juana and Maria Luisa. What is the role of an archbishop? Why is the Archbishop also a Prosecutor? What is the Inquisition? How does it affect Juana? What is the purpose of the Inquisition? Who was affected? What was the role of the Prosecutor? What was the role of the church? How long did the Inquisition last? What was the outcome? How did it affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Maldito's regime. What about the regime was corrupt? How did it compare to Castro's regime? Did things become better or worse after the revolution? Compare and contrast the government situations before and after the 1955 revolution.
Essay Topic 3
Pingalito Betancourt appears in many scenes and acts throughout various plays. Examine the character and how it changes. The introduction claims that Pingalito is a woman in drag. Is that noted for the actor and director only or is it a part of the play? Is Pingalito meant to be male or female? What is his/her role in the various stories? How is Pingalito connected to Carmelita, Maldito and the others? What are Pingalito's political views? Is Pingalito also a performer? Also examine Pingalito's physical attributes.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)