|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Prosecutor claims that a portrait of a person signifies which of the following?
2. The Prosecutor tells Juana that he can offer her freedom if she can show _____.
3. The goddess is from which culture?
4. Along the way Carmelita passes a(n) ____ store.
5. What is the Vicereine's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Prosecutor angry with Juana? What does Juana say to convince the Prosecutor that she knows her Bible?
2. Who is Maria Luisa? What is her role in the story? What does Maria Luisa convince Juana to do?
3. What information is extracted from Juan(a) after more questioning from the Prosecutor?
4. Who phones Carmelita the next morning? What is the purpose of each call?
5. How does the relationship between Maria Luisa and Juana change at this time? What promises do the women make to each other?
6. What does Carmelita say to Dee in an attempt to garner sympathy from the woman?
7. Carmelita mentions that food is one of her passions. What about food is important to Carmelita?
8. Who is Alba? What does she say to try to dissuade Juana from leaving the convent?
9. What does Carmelita tell her audience about becoming a performance artist? When did it occur? How did it happen?
10. How does Juana escape? What is her disguise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story, essay or extended journal entries from the point of view of Carmelita covering the next 5-10 years. What direction will Carmelita's life take? How will Carmelita's political positions change? How will Carmelita's career change? Give as much detail as possible.
Essay Topic 2
Sor Juana: The Nightmare is a surreal piece about a 17th century Mexican nun. Examine Troyano's use of the nightmare in explaining Juana's talent, beliefs, and commitments. What is the purpose of the nightmare? How does the play fit in with Carmelita's story? Which parts, if any, of the nightmare were real? What do you think happened with Juana? What might have happened to the vicereine? Did their relationship continue? Was Juana's work ever published?
Essay Topic 3
The plays work together collectively to paint a picture of the characters. One of the techniques used by Troyano was foreshadowing. List at least three examples of foreshadowing and how they related to the rest of the stories. Likewise, Troyano used the technique of flashback, particularly when it involved her relationships in and with Cuba. List at least three examples of flashback and how they related to the rest of the stories.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)