|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What psalm is referred to by Juana?
2. Who is the soldier mentioned in the Conquest of Mexico?
3. How many shots will signal the attack?
4. What is the translation of "La Estrella Vacia?"
5. What is Juana's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Juana escape? What is her disguise?
2. Describe Carmelita Tropicana as a person. What was her vision?
3. Who is Dee? What is her history?
4. Who phones Carmelita the next morning? What is the purpose of each call?
5. Who is Aunt Nina? How does Carmelita describe the old woman?
6. Carmelita comments that the women need the spirit of Rosa Parks. Who is Rosa Parks? Why does Carmelita see her as a role model?
7. What about the scene is so foreign to Arriero? What is his reaction?
8. Who is Sor Juana? What is the basis of the Nightmare?
9. Discuss the meeting between Dee and Carmelita. Where had the women met on a previous occasion? Explain the scene and the reaction of each woman.
10. Discuss Carmelita's radio spot for WNYC. What was the purpose of the spot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Archbishop and Prosecutor were one in the same when he appeared before Juana and Maria Luisa. What is the role of an archbishop? Why is the Archbishop also a Prosecutor? What is the Inquisition? How does it affect Juana? What is the purpose of the Inquisition? Who was affected? What was the role of the Prosecutor? What was the role of the church? How long did the Inquisition last? What was the outcome? How did it affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Sor Juana: The Nightmare is a surreal piece about a 17th century Mexican nun. Examine Troyano's use of the nightmare in explaining Juana's talent, beliefs, and commitments. What is the purpose of the nightmare? How does the play fit in with Carmelita's story? Which parts, if any, of the nightmare were real? What do you think happened with Juana? What might have happened to the vicereine? Did their relationship continue? Was Juana's work ever published?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the play, Carmelita and Machito among others were involved in an assassination attempt of the corrupt Maldito. Discuss the initial assassination attempt. How did it come about? Who was in charge of the attempt? Who was assigned to complete the task? What happened? How and why did the assassination attempt fail? What was the next step? What was the name of the operation? Was the second attempt successful? Who was involved in the plan? What happened to Maldito? What event occurred that finally forced Maldito to be removed from office? Explain.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)