|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The reader is led to believe that the mugger is carrying which type of weapon?
2. Which is not among the dangerous items mentioned by Arriero?
3. Which word is not used to describe the Vicereine?
4. Which of the following is not one of the noises Carmelita hears before the intercut?
5. Which performance artist most inspired Carmelita?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Juana escape? What is her disguise?
2. Who is Maria Luisa? What is her role in the story? What does Maria Luisa convince Juana to do?
3. What information is extracted from Juan(a) after more questioning from the Prosecutor?
4. Who is Alba? What does she say to try to dissuade Juana from leaving the convent?
5. Who is Arriero? What is Arriero's homeland? In which section is Arriero introduced? Why is Arriero's point of view different from the others?
6. Who is Sor Juana? What is the basis of the Nightmare?
7. What is "El Recibo Social?" What is the main topic? Why is it important to Carmelita?
8. What did Carmelita learn upon this last trip home to Cuba?
9. Who phones Carmelita the next morning? What is the purpose of each call?
10. Why were Carmelita and the others protesting and where? What happened at the site? What was the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carmelita and others were involved in various protests including the protest in front of the abortion clinic. Examine the various protests, their purposes, and outcome. Examine Carmelita's thoughts on the protests. Explain how Carmelita compared her actions to those of Rosa Parks and the Civil Rights movement in general. What effect did Carmelita and the others have on the various causes? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Carmelita worked at the Tropicana in Havana before going to the United States. After Carmelita arrived in the United States she opened a similar nightclub, also called the Tropicana, in Manhattan. What types of nightclubs were the Tropicanas? Compare and contrast the two clubs. What were the biggest similarities? Did Carmelita operate both nightclubs? What happened to each club? Who was involved in the destruction of at least one of the clubs? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Sor Juana: The Nightmare is a surreal piece about a 17th century Mexican nun. Examine Troyano's use of the nightmare in explaining Juana's talent, beliefs, and commitments. What is the purpose of the nightmare? How does the play fit in with Carmelita's story? Which parts, if any, of the nightmare were real? What do you think happened with Juana? What might have happened to the vicereine? Did their relationship continue? Was Juana's work ever published?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)