|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which item was not used on Carmelita's bagel?
2. What animal is telling the story?
3. How many degrees is their peripheral vision?
4. At which radio station did Carmelita make the PSA?
5. What was the name of the aunt's first husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Aunt Nina? How does Carmelita describe the old woman?
2. What is the main theme in "Carmelita Tropicana: Your Kunst Is Your Waffen?"
3. What does Carmelita tell her audience about becoming a performance artist? When did it occur? How did it happen?
4. Who phones Carmelita the next morning? What is the purpose of each call?
5. What information is extracted from Juan(a) after more questioning from the Prosecutor?
6. Discuss the meeting between Dee and Carmelita. Where had the women met on a previous occasion? Explain the scene and the reaction of each woman.
7. Carmelita mentions that food is one of her passions. What about food is important to Carmelita?
8. Examine the scene in which Carmelita is walking home from the Tropicana.
9. What did Carmelita learn upon this last trip home to Cuba?
10. Who is Alba? What does she say to try to dissuade Juana from leaving the convent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several instances, particularly in Sor Juana: The Nightmare, there are references to mysticism. One good example is the appearance of the stigmata. Explain why Troyano included the use of mysticism in the play. Was it an effective tool? How did it relate to the rest of the story? Why did the Prosecutor doubt the veracity of the stigmata? How did it relate to Carmelita? Did Sor Juana's Catholic beliefs and practices relate to Carmelita in any way? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Pingalito Betancourt appears in many scenes and acts throughout various plays. Examine the character and how it changes. The introduction claims that Pingalito is a woman in drag. Is that noted for the actor and director only or is it a part of the play? Is Pingalito meant to be male or female? What is his/her role in the various stories? How is Pingalito connected to Carmelita, Maldito and the others? What are Pingalito's political views? Is Pingalito also a performer? Also examine Pingalito's physical attributes.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the play, Carmelita and Machito among others were involved in an assassination attempt of the corrupt Maldito. Discuss the initial assassination attempt. How did it come about? Who was in charge of the attempt? Who was assigned to complete the task? What happened? How and why did the assassination attempt fail? What was the next step? What was the name of the operation? Was the second attempt successful? Who was involved in the plan? What happened to Maldito? What event occurred that finally forced Maldito to be removed from office? Explain.
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)