|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The reader is led to believe that the mugger is carrying which type of weapon?
2. Carmelita becomes enraged when the mugger damages her ______.
3. How many arrests were made?
4. What is the animal's name?
5. Which is not one of the horses mentioned in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the topics discussed in the BMU by the women? What family story does Carmelita tell the others?
2. What does Carmelita tell her audience about becoming a performance artist? When did it occur? How did it happen?
3. What information does the Prosecutor demand from Juan(a)? What causes the Prosecutor to become suspicious of the stigmata? What are the stigmata?
4. How does Juana escape? What is her disguise?
5. What is important about poetry to Carmelita?
6. Who is Arriero? What is Arriero's homeland? In which section is Arriero introduced? Why is Arriero's point of view different from the others?
7. Who is Alba? What does she say to try to dissuade Juana from leaving the convent?
8. Who is Aunt Nina? How does Carmelita describe the old woman?
9. What agreement is made between the Prosecutor and Juana? What happens to Juana after the agreement is made?
10. Describe Carmelita Tropicana as a person. What was her vision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Archbishop and Prosecutor were one in the same when he appeared before Juana and Maria Luisa. What is the role of an archbishop? Why is the Archbishop also a Prosecutor? What is the Inquisition? How does it affect Juana? What is the purpose of the Inquisition? Who was affected? What was the role of the Prosecutor? What was the role of the church? How long did the Inquisition last? What was the outcome? How did it affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the play, Carmelita and Machito among others were involved in an assassination attempt of the corrupt Maldito. Discuss the initial assassination attempt. How did it come about? Who was in charge of the attempt? Who was assigned to complete the task? What happened? How and why did the assassination attempt fail? What was the next step? What was the name of the operation? Was the second attempt successful? Who was involved in the plan? What happened to Maldito? What event occurred that finally forced Maldito to be removed from office? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The Dictator calls Carmelita regarding the activities in downtown Manhattan. What type of activities took place in Manhattan? Who participated? What were the consequences of the activities? Who arranged the activities? Who is the Dictator? How was s/he involved? What was the relationship between the Dictator and Carmelita? What happened to the Dictator after the raid? Did the Dictator and Carmelita have any contact after Carmelita's arrest or incarceration in BMU? Explain.
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)