|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The mugger admits that the weapon she used in the foiled attempt was actually a(n) ______.
2. The Prosecutor tells Juana that he can offer her freedom if she can show _____.
3. What was the name of the aunt's first husband?
4. What is Pollo?
5. The radio show was titled "The _____ of Horniness."
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sor Juana? What is the basis of the Nightmare?
2. What agreement is made between the Prosecutor and Juana? What happens to Juana after the agreement is made?
3. What does Carmelita say to Dee in an attempt to garner sympathy from the woman?
4. What does Carmelita tell her audience about becoming a performance artist? When did it occur? How did it happen?
5. Discuss Carmelita's radio spot for WNYC. What was the purpose of the spot?
6. What is the main theme in "Carmelita Tropicana: Your Kunst Is Your Waffen?"
7. Who is Dee? What is her history?
8. What is important about poetry to Carmelita?
9. What about the scene is so foreign to Arriero? What is his reaction?
10. Who is Maria Luisa? What is her role in the story? What does Maria Luisa convince Juana to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Carmelita and the others were being held in the Behavioral Modification Unit, there were several discussions about prisoners that were hardened criminals, such as Dee. What is a hardened criminal? What caused Dee to be categorized in that way? How many times had Dee been arrested? What were Dee's crimes? Why were some of the characters referred to as being "nutty" or insane? What types of behaviors were exhibited that would cause one to make such a characterization? Were any of the characters treated for mental illness?
Essay Topic 2
Pingalito Betancourt appears in many scenes and acts throughout various plays. Examine the character and how it changes. The introduction claims that Pingalito is a woman in drag. Is that noted for the actor and director only or is it a part of the play? Is Pingalito meant to be male or female? What is his/her role in the various stories? How is Pingalito connected to Carmelita, Maldito and the others? What are Pingalito's political views? Is Pingalito also a performer? Also examine Pingalito's physical attributes.
Essay Topic 3
Carmelita worked at the Tropicana in Havana before going to the United States. After Carmelita arrived in the United States she opened a similar nightclub, also called the Tropicana, in Manhattan. What types of nightclubs were the Tropicanas? Compare and contrast the two clubs. What were the biggest similarities? Did Carmelita operate both nightclubs? What happened to each club? Who was involved in the destruction of at least one of the clubs? Explain.
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)