|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Politics is not good for the ____."
2. Which book is Carmelita reading?
3. What is the name of Carmelita's friend in New York?
4. The Vicereine compares Juana to which type of bird?
5. How much money did Carmelita receive for her work in the film?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to interrupt the tender moment between Juana and Maria Luisa? What major event occurs? Who appears on the scene?
2. How does Juana escape? What is her disguise?
3. Dee and others make comments about nutty women being incarcerated at the BMU. What was meant by that statement?
4. What information is extracted from Juan(a) after more questioning from the Prosecutor?
5. Who is Arriero? What is Arriero's homeland? In which section is Arriero introduced? Why is Arriero's point of view different from the others?
6. What is important about poetry to Carmelita?
7. Who is Sor Juana? What is the basis of the Nightmare?
8. Who is Dee? What is her history?
9. What is "El Recibo Social?" What is the main topic? Why is it important to Carmelita?
10. Discuss the meeting between Dee and Carmelita. Where had the women met on a previous occasion? Explain the scene and the reaction of each woman.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the play, Carmelita and Machito among others were involved in an assassination attempt of the corrupt Maldito. Discuss the initial assassination attempt. How did it come about? Who was in charge of the attempt? Who was assigned to complete the task? What happened? How and why did the assassination attempt fail? What was the next step? What was the name of the operation? Was the second attempt successful? Who was involved in the plan? What happened to Maldito? What event occurred that finally forced Maldito to be removed from office? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The Dictator calls Carmelita regarding the activities in downtown Manhattan. What type of activities took place in Manhattan? Who participated? What were the consequences of the activities? Who arranged the activities? Who is the Dictator? How was s/he involved? What was the relationship between the Dictator and Carmelita? What happened to the Dictator after the raid? Did the Dictator and Carmelita have any contact after Carmelita's arrest or incarceration in BMU? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Carmelita and Sophia are sisters. Although both women came from Cuba, they could not be more different from one another. Compare and contrast the sisters. Which is the eldest? Who is the most conservative? What are the main differences between the sisters? Who is the most successful? Which sister is the most influential? Explain.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)