|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carmelita is the self-proclaimed, "_____ of Cuba."
2. What is the translation of "Your Kunst Is Your Waffen?"
3. Dee believes that she must be _____.
4. What creative talent is possessed by Juana?
5. What item of the mugger's clothes is mentioned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the scene in which Carmelita is walking home from the Tropicana.
2. What does Carmelita tell her audience about becoming a performance artist? When did it occur? How did it happen?
3. Discuss Carmelita's radio spot for WNYC. What was the purpose of the spot?
4. What did Carmelita learn upon this last trip home to Cuba?
5. Describe Carmelita Tropicana as a person. What was her vision?
6. Why were Carmelita and the others protesting and where? What happened at the site? What was the result?
7. Carmelita comments that the women need the spirit of Rosa Parks. Who is Rosa Parks? Why does Carmelita see her as a role model?
8. What agreement is made between the Prosecutor and Juana? What happens to Juana after the agreement is made?
9. What are some of the topics discussed in the BMU by the women? What family story does Carmelita tell the others?
10. Who is Maria Luisa? What is her role in the story? What does Maria Luisa convince Juana to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Maldito's regime. What about the regime was corrupt? How did it compare to Castro's regime? Did things become better or worse after the revolution? Compare and contrast the government situations before and after the 1955 revolution.
Essay Topic 2
After being arrested for participating in the protest, Carmelita, Desiree, Orchidia, Sophia and others were arrested and sent to the Behavioral Modification Unit. What is the BMU? Where is it located? What is the purpose of the unit? How does it relate to the government? What kind of activities occur at the BMU? Is it a prison? What types of crimes must one commit to be sent to the unit? What is the DNA Remodeling Action? Can someone's DNA be remodeled? If so, how? What types of programs are the inmates required to complete?
Essay Topic 3
The Archbishop and Prosecutor were one in the same when he appeared before Juana and Maria Luisa. What is the role of an archbishop? Why is the Archbishop also a Prosecutor? What is the Inquisition? How does it affect Juana? What is the purpose of the Inquisition? Who was affected? What was the role of the Prosecutor? What was the role of the church? How long did the Inquisition last? What was the outcome? How did it affect the characters?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)