|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book is Carmelita reading?
2. What color are the Dictator's sunglasses?
3. Which craft fascinates Carmelita?
4. The servant tells Juana to be careful. Juana protests by showing which of the following weapons?
5. What item of the mugger's clothes is mentioned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Carmelita's radio spot for WNYC. What was the purpose of the spot?
2. What is important about poetry to Carmelita?
3. Who is Alba? What does she say to try to dissuade Juana from leaving the convent?
4. How does Juana escape? What is her disguise?
5. What does Carmelita tell her audience about becoming a performance artist? When did it occur? How did it happen?
6. Why is the Prosecutor angry with Juana? What does Juana say to convince the Prosecutor that she knows her Bible?
7. Who is Arriero? What is Arriero's homeland? In which section is Arriero introduced? Why is Arriero's point of view different from the others?
8. Why were Carmelita and the others protesting and where? What happened at the site? What was the result?
9. What agreement is made between the Prosecutor and Juana? What happens to Juana after the agreement is made?
10. What information does the Prosecutor demand from Juan(a)? What causes the Prosecutor to become suspicious of the stigmata? What are the stigmata?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sor Juana: The Nightmare is a surreal piece about a 17th century Mexican nun. Examine Troyano's use of the nightmare in explaining Juana's talent, beliefs, and commitments. What is the purpose of the nightmare? How does the play fit in with Carmelita's story? Which parts, if any, of the nightmare were real? What do you think happened with Juana? What might have happened to the vicereine? Did their relationship continue? Was Juana's work ever published?
Essay Topic 2
The Dictator calls Carmelita regarding the activities in downtown Manhattan. What type of activities took place in Manhattan? Who participated? What were the consequences of the activities? Who arranged the activities? Who is the Dictator? How was s/he involved? What was the relationship between the Dictator and Carmelita? What happened to the Dictator after the raid? Did the Dictator and Carmelita have any contact after Carmelita's arrest or incarceration in BMU? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Carmelita Tropicana? What is her real name? What is the purpose of the book? Write a complete character description of Carmelita Tropicana as well as that of her alter-ego, Alina Troyano. Is there any difference between Troyano and Carmelita Tropicana? If so, what? Why did Troyano choose to become Carmelita Tropicana? What is the biggest impact made by Carmelita Tropicana?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)