|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What birds are mentioned in relation to the fanciful cakes?
2. The reader is led to believe that the mugger is carrying which type of weapon?
3. Which is not one of the horses mentioned in this section?
4. Which word is not used to describe the Vicereine?
5. Carmelita has a picture of which famous star on her wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to interrupt the tender moment between Juana and Maria Luisa? What major event occurs? Who appears on the scene?
2. Who phones Carmelita the next morning? What is the purpose of each call?
3. What agreement is made between the Prosecutor and Juana? What happens to Juana after the agreement is made?
4. What information is extracted from Juan(a) after more questioning from the Prosecutor?
5. What about the scene is so foreign to Arriero? What is his reaction?
6. Who is Sor Juana? What is the basis of the Nightmare?
7. Discuss the meeting between Dee and Carmelita. Where had the women met on a previous occasion? Explain the scene and the reaction of each woman.
8. How does Juana escape? What is her disguise?
9. Why were Carmelita and the others protesting and where? What happened at the site? What was the result?
10. What is the main theme in "Carmelita Tropicana: Your Kunst Is Your Waffen?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After being arrested for participating in the protest, Carmelita, Desiree, Orchidia, Sophia and others were arrested and sent to the Behavioral Modification Unit. What is the BMU? Where is it located? What is the purpose of the unit? How does it relate to the government? What kind of activities occur at the BMU? Is it a prison? What types of crimes must one commit to be sent to the unit? What is the DNA Remodeling Action? Can someone's DNA be remodeled? If so, how? What types of programs are the inmates required to complete?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the play, Carmelita and Machito among others were involved in an assassination attempt of the corrupt Maldito. Discuss the initial assassination attempt. How did it come about? Who was in charge of the attempt? Who was assigned to complete the task? What happened? How and why did the assassination attempt fail? What was the next step? What was the name of the operation? Was the second attempt successful? Who was involved in the plan? What happened to Maldito? What event occurred that finally forced Maldito to be removed from office? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The plays work together collectively to paint a picture of the characters. One of the techniques used by Troyano was foreshadowing. List at least three examples of foreshadowing and how they related to the rest of the stories. Likewise, Troyano used the technique of flashback, particularly when it involved her relationships in and with Cuba. List at least three examples of flashback and how they related to the rest of the stories.
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)